PDA

View Full Version : Any Pianist on Beyond?

kenc
01-11-2007, 01:14 AM
I'm a pianist myself and plan to find a nice place to play a song I wrote for my GF on our anniversery.

Now the problem is that I don't have a grand piano myself, and booking a renue / stage will be too much of a budget. (starting from $1000's!!)

Any body knows if there are any grand pianos that are up for free playing for the public?

For example I know:

At the U of C, Scurfield Hall building, 2nd floor. There's a grand piano, unlocked, and at night when there are no students studying around there you can play all you want.

At the Peter Laugheed Center (hospital) there's a Grand Piano near the West Entrance, and it is also up for free play for the public.

I was hoping for a better environment (may be more romantic?)

Would also go to nice restaurants with piano, and see if they'd let me play a song or two after dinner or something.

Any ideas?

Ken

suen17
01-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Spend a night at Lake Louise Chateau! They got a few pianos lying around. In their conference center there's a 9ft grand if i'm not mistaken; the clerks would probably be happy to let you play for free too, as long as there's no function happening that night. Caution though, it's out of tune =P

EDIT: there's also a piano right outside their lobby lounge/restaurant area.

msommers
01-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Used to be involved with piano, grade 2 actually. but rock eventually took over my life and consequently, guitar is my new thing to do. Less serious which is really nice. Good luck in your search, women melt for songs played for them, good or bad. Some bullshit about honest effort or caring:D :dunno:

kenc
01-11-2007, 02:31 AM
The date is this Saturday and we don't have time for a get away :( I called all major hotels in calgary and only found a few that HAVE a grand piano:

Radisson (16ave 19st NE): Grand in the lobby, any guests can play (I can pretend to be a guest. haha)

Marriott (Downtown): Grand in the lobby, they are fixing carpets, clerk says it won't be romantic at all.

Dleta (Bow Valley): Grand in lounge, left message for manager, waiting to hear back tomorrow.

Palliser (Downtown): Grand in the lobby and another Grand in some party room, left message for manager as well.

All other ones do NOT have pianos at all, you would expect nice hotels to haev a grand piano sitting somewhere.... wierd.

Keep the ideas coming :D

pyar_deewane
01-11-2007, 02:38 AM
wait I never seen a piano in scurfield...dude spill the beans what part of the second floor....is it near the vending machines or the award showcase:drool:

kenc
01-11-2007, 01:19 PM
It's been there for YEARS man, ever since I used to go to school there lol. Dont know which side is the vending machinese or showcase, but it is the side opposit to the +15 that links to Education. It is the 2nd floor, which is the same level as the +15.

Go play, as long as you're not disdurbing classes and ppl studying (meaning if you go during the evenings) they let you play all you want!

Darkane
01-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Bah write your girl friend a sloppy drum solo. Thats the best. :thumbsup:

Melinda
01-11-2007, 02:19 PM
You could take her for ice cream at "my favorite ice cream shop" They have a piano there. You need special permission to play, but i'm sure you could call and pre-arrange something. Tell her you're taking her for dessert, buy some ice cream and then sit down and start playing for her. Sounds pretty sweet if you ask me.

kenc
01-11-2007, 09:56 PM
I got it! I will go to the Radisson Hotel by 16Ave and 19St NE. It's great, went there today to check it out, played for about an hour. Those people there are really nice and they all enjoyed the free concert lol. Great atmosphere and the baby grand is in the center of the lobby surounded by lounge chairs.

The only complain is that their baby grand is not a real piano, it's a digital grand piano and some of the keys needs to be pressed VERY hard to make a sound. But this will do, I'm pumped for Saturday, thanks all!

Gainsbarre
01-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by kenc
It's been there for YEARS man, ever since I used to go to school there lol. Dont know which side is the vending machinese or showcase, but it is the side opposit to the +15 that links to Education. It is the 2nd floor, which is the same level as the +15.

Go play, as long as you're not disdurbing classes and ppl studying (meaning if you go during the evenings) they let you play all you want!

It's actually on the third floor, the level above the +15, on the east corner of the building in that big open area. The area where it's located is known as the "Shell Forum".

kenc
01-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Third Floor are you sure man? I just went there 2 days ago dude.

Si_FlyGuy
01-12-2007, 10:13 AM
I got it! I will go to the Radisson Hotel by 16Ave and 19St NE. It's great, went there today to check it out, played for about an hour. Those people there are really nice and they all enjoyed the free concert lol. Great atmosphere and the baby grand is in the center of the lobby surounded by lounge chairs.

The only complain is that their baby grand is not a real piano, it's a digital grand piano and some of the keys needs to be pressed VERY hard to make a sound. But this will do, I'm pumped for Saturday, thanks all!

You should get someone to video tape it secretly for keepsakes. Girls like that kind of shit.:thumbsup:

kenc
01-12-2007, 10:28 AM
I figured a couple of pictures afterwards will be adequate~ hehe

Gainsbarre
01-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Third Floor are you sure man? I just went there 2 days ago dude.

Well it was in the Shell Forum for all of my years there (2001-2006)... the +15 level is the second floor, the 1st floor has the computer labs (not considered the "basement" even though it seems like one), and the 3rd floor (Shell Forum, just outside of the undergraduate programme offices) is where it's at.....unless of course they've moved it just recently.

msommers
01-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy

You should get someone to video tape it secretly for keepsakes. Girls like that kind of shit.:thumbsup:

Totally. If you bring a camera beforehand, I'd help ya out. I live about 3 blocks from that hotel.

pyar_deewane
01-12-2007, 02:40 PM
okay so last night I searched all over scurfield hall lol.............i mean i walked around everywhere...unless its in a room it isn't there anymore....but the search continues:D

Si_FlyGuy
01-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Totally. If you bring a camera beforehand, I'd help ya out. I live about 3 blocks from that hotel.

I wouldn't mind being a spectator...if you're good on the piano.

Originally posted by pyar_deewane
okay so last night I searched all over scurfield hall lol.............i mean i walked around everywhere...unless its in a room it isn't there anymore....but the search continues:D

I remember seeing it when I looked over the balcony from the fourth floor. It's in that area in the back (maybe 3rd floor?) where they have banquets, and usually covered with a white tarp.

pyar_deewane
01-12-2007, 03:56 PM
lol thanks I found the piano...but its covered so I cant play it :(...can I take the cover off or something:dunno: ...well anyways its in the third floor right across from the food court...and where they have lobby/banquets:thumbsup:

bspot
01-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Hehe... pianist... what a funny word

kenc
01-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Haha, sure guys if you're interested to watch the mini show, I'll be there with my GF this Saturday night at around 9:00pm

Could really use a hand for video taping too, as I don't think the hotel staff would be willing to help out (especially when i'm not a guest at the hotel)

Let me know Msommers !!

kenc
01-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Please make this :closed: