PDA

View Full Version : I hate these threads but oh well...

redline
01-11-2007, 08:42 AM
I am looking at buying a BMW 335I, Infiniti G35, Lexus IS350, Nissan 350Z.

first i know the 350z not really the same kind of car but i think i can get a good deal on one so i am considering it.

How would you rate them for:
Realilbity
Resale
Driving/performance
Comfort
Overall value
dealership

Do NOT care about aftermarket, cause at most it any of the cars will see springs and wheels. Do care if one is more pimp then the others etc

Thanks...

K

rc2002
01-11-2007, 08:47 AM
350Z is definitely the cheapest car on your list. You'll find lots of aftermarket support too. It has nice styling and still turns heads, but resale isn't stellar. I would prefer one of the other cars as they have 4 seats and are more luxurious instead of sporty so they would ride quieter and smoother.

If you test drive all of the above, I think you will probably settle for a BMW 335i. That car really has it all - has the nicest ride quality and performance of the 4.

redline
01-11-2007, 08:51 AM
I have drove the G35 and 335i, planning on driving the 350z and lexus this weekend if there is not 10 feet of snow...

Aleks
01-11-2007, 08:53 AM
335i if you can afford it.

My second choice would be the new G35 sedan. It is a lot cheaper than the bmw, however with the update this year they look nicer inside and out. The reworked 3.5l now puts out 306 hp and had a redline of 7600.

just saw you drove both, how did they compare?

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Everything I read suggests the 335i will be the clear winner of those 3. If manual transmission is a big deal to you, the Lexus is only automatic with the better motor.

That twin turbo BMW motor has an amazing torque curve, and it is fully spooled at 1600 or 1800 rpm, or right around there. Also it is the fastest of the 3, posting times very similar to the M3.

I would look at them like this:

350z = Cheapest
G35 = Most bang for your buck
Lexus = Most reliable/fewest problems
BMW = Most fun, screwed together the best, expensive to fix (but it's new and has warranty so this isn't an issue for 3-5 years)

Drive them all back to back and unless money is a big issue you will probably pick the BMW.

redline
01-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
335i if you can afford it.

just saw you drove both, how did they compare?

The seats the in BMW feel like cheap crap, i found the rear head rests to block vision quite a bit. Idrive is a pain in the ass. Performance of the car is great, handling, drive train, and the auto trany is very nice. Price is a bit steep but not out of the range. I have heard bad things about BMW realilbity and service and that is holding me back a little on this front.

G35 i found to be have a more plush interier, the gages the move with the tilt steering is very nice for a taller person like me. Performance wise not as good as the BMW but not far behind.

euro_racer
01-11-2007, 10:35 AM
since dealership is on your list of criteria, i would say Hyatt Infinity is a really good place :thumbsup:

max_boost
01-11-2007, 11:59 AM
G35 facelift is such a hot looking car. Very nicer overall styling cues, sexy at every angle.
IS350 has an amazing interior and exterior as well.

I've been a passenger in both and I like both of them.

I'm not sold on the design of the 335 but the power is damn good though which is the main deciding factor for me now. All about the POWER!

I presume your budget is $50-$60k range?

BTW, I have no idea why you included the 350z in your list.

JspecB16
01-11-2007, 12:22 PM
IMO, the lexus would be pretty close to the 335i in performance. The IS350 has 305hp/277tq, and the 335i has 300hp/300tq. The BMW is a little faster, but the lexus is no slouch.

JspecB16
01-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Oh, and lexus interior FTW:thumbsup:

benyl
01-11-2007, 12:25 PM
TT + chip = happiness.

redline
01-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
G35 facelift is such a hot looking car. Very nicer overall styling cues, sexy at every angle.
IS350 has an amazing interior and exterior as well.

I've been a passenger in both and I like both of them.

I'm not sold on the design of the 335 but the power is damn good though which is the main deciding factor for me now. All about the POWER!

I presume your budget is $50-$60k range?

BTW, I have no idea why you included the 350z in your list.

I am more about luxury, now then power, i find the BMW lacking in those terms. The BMW is more $68K list with the options i want. But yeah basicly on that budget.

350z i hear yah but a friend is bugging me saying i should look at it...

Aleks
01-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by JspecB16
IMO, the lexus would be pretty close to the 335i in performance. The IS350 has 305hp/277tq, and the 335i has 300hp/300tq. The BMW is a little faster, but the lexus is no slouch.

G35 has the same power, from all that I have read the Lexus doesn't seem as exciting to drive.

redline, post back when you drive the IS350 and let us know how they all compare.

A2VR6
01-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by JspecB16

actually the 335i dynos a little higher than the 300/300 figures they publish... however I agree with you that the lexus is no slouch and this is their best effort yet against the BMW. Go drive the lexus, the interior is much nicer than the BMW and if you can live with the crappy rear seat room I think you'll like it.

redline
01-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

actually the 335i dynos a little higher than the 300/300 figures they publish... however I agree with you that the lexus is no slouch and this is their best effort yet against the BMW. Go drive the lexus, the interior is much nicer than the BMW and if you can live with the crappy rear seat room I think you'll like it.

I wont be sitting in the back seat... and with me being 6' 3" no car has good back seat space...

bg_27
01-11-2007, 03:56 PM
yah average dynos on the 335i are 275hp/275 torque at the wheels, so about 315-325 paper hp.

The 335i is so much fun to drive because of the handling characteristics and the monster engine that has so much torque, the lexus definetly seemed tamer to drive, the interior in the lexus is nicer, but the feel of the materials and controls feel higher quality in the BMW.

As for reliability i cant really comment yet, i can though comment on the service at crowfoot bmw, they have been great, no problems, my friends, brother and parents have never had any problems either at crowfoot bmw.

The BMW typically has a higher resale value then both the infiniti and lexus.

68,000 list? i just priced that out and that is every single option that BMW has available, not many people do that, you really just need sports and premium, and nav/phone if you want, but active steering and park distance, wasnt worth it for me.

bg_27
01-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

yes the new lexus is by far the closest and best japanese competitor to the BMW to date, and they seem to be selling like hotcakes, i see lots on the road.

2EFNFAST
01-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Watever you do, DO NOT buy from any place associated with Hyatt (e.g., Hyatt-Infiniti). They have the WORST service, WORST technicians, etc.. etc...

(if you can't tell, I had very negative experiences with the Hyatt auto-group :D )

Orbie
01-11-2007, 04:38 PM
My best service experiences have come from Hyatt Infiniti, although you'll find people that will agree and disagree. I tend to find that people rate Infiniti dealerships a plus when buying from that make.

Out of your choices though I would go for the 335i first, but I tend to rate power a bit higher than luxury. IS350 and G35 I would rate around the same, but would probably side with the G35 for bang for your buck.

msommers
01-11-2007, 05:28 PM
If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the G35. Plain and simple. Idrive is big pain in the butt however the power cannot be denied. I have yet to like the front styling of the 350Z, it's a fun car but even how quick it may be, that damn front end is gross.

The BMW will most likely go the fastest, and handle the best, but as mentioned before, it isn't the cheapest and some interior pieces seem like they came out of a Toyota.

All but the 350z, are in the "luxury" class and parts/labour costs will reflect that.

Let us know what you end up with!

iceburns288
01-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Z shouldn't even be in there. The new G35 is AMAZING and should definitely be at least close to the BMW. Kick the Lexus outta there, doesn't even belong:)

The 335 is also an amazing car, definitely the best of those but it comes at a cost. I also think you should be fine on cost of ownership as long as it's out of warranty, but good luck selling it right before that warranty runs out. The Infiniti is a great car: it looks great, the new VQ35HR is a strong motor, and parts costs won't hit you too hard. Resale is decent.

redline
01-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by bg_27
68,000 list? i just priced that out and that is every single option that BMW has available, not many people do that, you really just need sports and premium, and nav/phone if you want, but active steering and park distance, wasnt worth it for me.

that was with tax and it was $13 under 70K that was sport, premium, nav and auto and few other minor things

bg_27
01-11-2007, 11:58 PM
oh ok, yah with tax it gets close to 70k, i paid basically 70k including winter tires and taxes.

redline
01-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Ok so i drove the lexus yesterday, Although i the weather was shitty i did get a feel for the power and handling. Power was on par with the new G35 and handling was very close to the BMW. the interior is top notch. I very much liked the car. The one big hit against it was interior space.... I could not find a comfortable drving postion in the car. My head was hitting the roof or i was in laydown gangster style position. I liked the adjustable settings on the TC it made driving easy on a day like yesterday.

If i would have fit in the car i do believe i would have purchased it on the spot...

When back and drove the 335i again, nice car clear winner in power and handling. But i could not get over how shitty the interior is compared to the other two... And i drive does suck balls...

When and drove the G35 again, this time an auto. Since the other two were autos and i was wanting to sample the infiniti auto to see how it compared. All the auto were very nice and smooth. the infiniti had same nice features with there auto that the others did not have.

I fit the best and the was most comfortable in the G35 but it does give up ride comfort to the other two. I think it was the best car for me.

So I purchased a graphite G35 sedan auto sport, with nav and tech package. It is on the boat from JDM land and should be here in about a month.

I was able to deal a bit with Hyatt, I refused to pay list for any car...

thanks for the help...

2EFNFAST
01-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by bg_27
oh ok, yah with tax it gets close to 70k, i paid basically 70k including winter tires and taxes.

70k for a 'basic' 3series. Jeese, and I thought $100k for a shelby mustang was an overpriced mustang.

B17a
01-14-2007, 12:42 PM
The 335 is my pick but I'm biased as I have one on the way soon!

Don't get the idrive, its a hassle and I don't find it very functional. My criteria was more weighted to performance vs. luxury as I'm not too big on the bells and whistles.

Aleks
01-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Congrats on the purchase, hope you enjoy the car.

scat19
01-14-2007, 01:00 PM
335i is brand new out, so reliabilty cannot be rated.

But as a bmw driver myself and an enthusiast, bmw all the way!

Orbie
01-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Congrats on the purchase! welcome to the world of Infiniti. I think you'll be happy with Hyatt Infiniti service, the service reps are pretty good guys. I'm sure you'll enjoy the purchase, I can tell you that the interior of the new gen is light years ahead of the previous. Keep us informed of your impressions of the car when you get it. The new G35/37 coupe is on my list this year for my 1st gen G35C, and I'd be curious to hear of your experiences with the sedan. If not good I'll probably be heading the 335i coupe direction, but physically judging from the latest sketch released from Infiniti a couple of days ago, it looks good so far. Sourced this from Automobile mag but it's popping up everywhere now.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_new_york/0702_z+2008_infiniti_g_coupe+sketch.jpg

redline
01-14-2007, 07:31 PM
^^^^ that car is hot... any word on power?

bg_27
01-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

70k for a 'basic' 3series. Jeese, and I thought $100k for a shelby mustang was an overpriced mustang.

that price included taxes, winter tires, spoiler, and some other options

Orbie
01-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by redline
^^^^ that car is hot... any word on power?

Yeah they changed the front fascia quite a bit from the G35 Concept Coupe. Public feedback was that the nose on the concept was too pointy, so they rounded it out and used a bumper similar to the one on the 07 G35 Sedan. Apparently to compensate they enlarged the grill with the katana sword influence. The headlights are similar to the concept but obviously not LED anymore and the side view mirrors are not cameras anymore either. I think this is probably going to be very close to what you'll see debut in New York this spring.

As far as power, words still out on if it's a 3.5 or 3.7L. I doubt it will be 3.7 though as you figured you'd hear something of a development of a 3.7 V6 from Nissan. It may be a further tuned version of the VQ35HR to get a bit more juice. Rumour is that the coupe will be more powerful than the sedan, so it's probably safe to say at >= 306hp.

redline
01-15-2007, 01:50 PM
They should be able to make 320-330 easily with that engine. I wanted a coupe orgainally but with a new body style coming i tapped out on the coupe

max_boost
01-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Congrats man! I had a feeling you would pick the G35 based on your criteria. Enjoy the new ride and post some picturse when you get it!~:clap: :thumbsup: