PDA

View Full Version : should I wax a new snowboard?

RX_EVOLV
01-11-2007, 10:55 PM
after renting for the past n years, i've finally decided to buy my own equipment. I have my equipment in front of me now and im wondering if I should wax it before its first use? I've heard ppl said I shoudn't wax a brand new board, any suggestion?

thanks

Slashin_
01-11-2007, 11:02 PM
water test....bring your board to bath tub...angle board pn a slight angle....under 45 above 25 but few drops of water on one end and watch it roll and bead up,and how fast it rolls......if its decently fast 2-4s your good......just buy all the waxing gear its cheaper in the long run
u just need an old clothes iron,few varietys of wax,and a scrapper...

drip wax on to board then take iron and smear all the wax over the board.....use scrapper and remove ALL THE WAX!!!!

s4b0t4g3r
01-11-2007, 11:03 PM
usually new snowboards come with a factory wax. They usually last 2 ish sessions. I'd say after you've gone out twice, maybe 3 times if it looks like it needs a wax do it. (the above said test)
Just not right away.

MackDawg
01-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Factory wax on a brand new boards last 5 to 7 times out, depending on snow conditions (ex.powder or ice)

ercchry
01-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by MackDawg
Factory wax on a brand new boards last 5 to 7 times out, depending on snow conditions (ex.powder or ice)

wow what do you go for one run a day like that?
most companies have shitty wax on the board that is just there so the base doesnt dry out i would say go out once then get it waxed the next day

Hash_man
01-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Ya it should last a couple times... I definately wouldn't bother waxing it your first time using it.

And like said above, buying your own wax and doing it that way is a lot cheaper, but beware it makes one hell of a mess.

slammed_cb7
01-12-2007, 12:05 AM
factory wax is the best wax you will get on that mutha!! Once your edges start to turn white, wax your board, until then don't bother.

A2VR6
01-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Slashin_

drip wax on to board then take iron and smear all the wax over the board.....use scrapper and remove ALL THE WAX!!!!

do you really have to remove all the wax with the scrapper? I always thought that if you left it on there it will be gone anyways after your first run.

98type_r
01-12-2007, 02:13 AM
no, the only wax you need is absorbed into the base. you wanna scrape everything off that you can otherwise its just gonna slow you down and don't forget to texture it with a brush to finish it all off.

RX_EVOLV
01-12-2007, 03:29 AM
thanks for the tips, i will give it a few rides before waxing it

SinisterProbeGt
01-12-2007, 09:30 AM
I bought the new Libtech Dark Series and have been out 9 times all big moutain trips and I have just waxed my setup now.
Ride first, when your sticky its time for wax...

Seanith
01-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Where does everyone recommend buying all the necessary stuff to wax your board your self? I want to start doing it myself. Sports Mart is shit and i hate driving all the way to mission to get a good wax. I ride so hard that a waxing only lasts about one time out.

A2VR6
01-13-2007, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Seanith
Where does everyone recommend buying all the necessary stuff to wax your board your self? I want to start doing it myself. Sports Mart is shit and i hate driving all the way to mission to get a good wax. I ride so hard that a waxing only lasts about one time out.

I know that COP sells all the stuff you need for waxing.