PDA

View Full Version : Which LCD TV?

redevil
01-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Ok,

So I'm looking for an LCD Projection screen TV. Not really interested in a Plasma or LCD flat screen yet, I will still wait till they drop more in price. But I am looking at two TV, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. Size has to be 42"+. Price wise I was looking to spend around $1500 or so. Not to sure what the pros and cons or the major difference between them, so if anyone knows let me know. Any other suggestions please post them.

The ones I'm interested in are:

46" Sony $1500-1600
Sony Wega 46" Widescreen LCD Projection HDTV** (KDF46E2000) (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010077258&catid=)

50" Toshiba $1400-1500
Toshiba 50" Widescreen DLP Projection HDTV** (50HM66) (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926HDS0010074155&catid=23250&logon=&langid=EN)

Thanks

HyperZell
01-12-2007, 03:07 AM
Neither. Save your money and buy a real flat screen, either LCD or plasma. Really, prices have dropped a ton and you can get a decent one for about your price range and a bit. Really though, I guess you can't have your cake (size) and eat it too (type). Here's an LG plasma for $1699:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0770HDS0010073023&catid=23525&logon=&langid=EN

The Sony you listed can't do 720P and the Toshiba can't do 1080i. Do yourself a favor and either hold off until you can afford something like the one I posted or better, or just spend a little more now.

Also, that Toshiba you listed is now $1999. It was $1400 last week, I believe, as my friend purchased one. So yeah, really don't buy it now.

djayz
01-12-2007, 04:02 AM
I was in the same boat as you just before christmas. I ended up buying the 42" Sony LCD Projection and im glad i did. For something with similar picture in an LCD i was looking at spending close to 2500 dollars when i got my 42 for just under 1000. The picture quality is superb even on regular satelite. Theres no responce time issues and its as bright as an lcd display. Obviously it has its dark areas on the sides and top and bottom but who watches a tv from 160 degrees to the side?

Go for the Sony you wont be dissapointed. When the bulb in the tv goes which will be a year or two just sell the tv and buy a nice lcd by then prices will be much better.

Another thing if you dont need the stand check some other places that sell the same tv like absound, visions, soundsaround, or the brick as they may have it alot cheaper without the stand.

Let us know what you get :thumbsup:

redevil
01-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Like I said I won't buy Plasma or LCD flat screen. The projection screen tv's have just been around longer, and have also been proven. I've also had good reviews from my dad and a family friend with their 60" Sony projection screen tv's.

I'm leaning towards the Sony, but we will see what new ones will come out.

djayz
I was looking at the 42" one well, but I figure the 4" will make the Wii just that little bit more fun to play! hehe

Forcefed
01-12-2007, 12:30 PM
dude, they have more moving parts then a Street bike....Do yourself a favor save up, get a Plasma or a LCD Flat..

redevil
01-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Forcefed
dude, they have more moving parts then a Street bike....Do yourself a favor save up, get a Plasma or a LCD Flat..

Moving parts? It is easy enough to replace a $300 bulb. Care to elaborate your thoughts?:dunno:

Not to sure if you can just replace parts on an LCD or Plasma, but my guess is that you have to buy a new one if something goes wrong after warranty. There has been no problems with my dad's Sony thus far and he watches lots and I mean lots of tv.

leec001
01-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Vote for SONY LCD PROJETCION!

If you wanna replace the bulb, just onpen the side door and put the new one in. Just 5 mins job and u don't have to get it from SONY for $300.................too

msommers
01-12-2007, 12:56 PM
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1003007&navigationPath=32050n45260

Check out this TV. When I was looking at the Sony V2500 series(One of the top rated Sony TV's, none of the XBR's according to AVS forums says they are any different in terms of quality,despite whatever Sony has said for obvious reason $$$), the quality looked almost identical. I would strong suggest this TV if you can afford it. If you're set on rear-projection, this is probably the one for you.

redevil
01-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by msommers
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1003007&navigationPath=32050n45260

Check out this TV. When I was looking at the Sony V2500 series(One of the top rated Sony TV's, none of the XBR's according to AVS forums says they are any different in terms of quality,despite whatever Sony has said for obvious reason $$$), the quality looked almost identical. I would strong suggest this TV if you can afford it. If you're set on rear-projection, this is probably the one for you.

Yeah that is the 46" Sony that I'm looking at. They are on sale for $1500 including stand. I want to wait till it goes down even more. Not too sure if it will, but we will see.

Can anyone hook me up with a better deal?

gcycheun
01-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell
Neither. Save your money and buy a real flat screen, either LCD or plasma. Really, prices have dropped a ton and you can get a decent one for about your price range and a bit. Really though, I guess you can't have your cake (size) and eat it too (type). Here's an LG plasma for $1699:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0770HDS0010073023&catid=23525&logon=&langid=EN

The Sony you listed can't do 720P and the Toshiba can't do 1080i. Do yourself a favor and either hold off until you can afford something like the one I posted or better, or just spend a little more now.

Also, that Toshiba you listed is now $1999. It was $1400 last week, I believe, as my friend purchased one. So yeah, really don't buy it now.

Not sure why you would want 1080i as the picture looks close to what you get from 420p

:dunno:

5hift
01-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by leec001
Vote for SONY LCD PROJETCION!

If you wanna replace the bulb, just onpen the side door and put the new one in. Just 5 mins job and u don't have to get it from SONY for $300.................too

where would you get one then? I'm still a little surprised to hear the bulb in sony lcd projection tvs last only a few years.

HyperZell
01-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by gcycheun

Not sure why you would want 1080i as the picture looks close to what you get from 420p

:dunno:

You're really going to have to clarify that before I launch into a tirade on how idiotic that was.

You basically just said 1080i looks about the same as 420p. What?

leec001
01-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

where would you get one then? I'm still a little surprised to hear the bulb in sony lcd projection tvs last only a few years.

It will last for several years but depends on how many hours you watch the TV. Bulb has life time hours

You can find replacement bulbs from ebay. It is a similar one, but not the same.
"http://search.ebay.ca/Replacement-Lamp-Grand_W0QQfromZR8QQssPageNameZRC0022"

leec001
01-12-2007, 02:21 PM

You're really going to have to clarify that before I launch into a tirade on how idiotic that was.

You basically just said 1080i looks about the same as 420p. What?

1080i is compatible to 720P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i

I don't know why gcycheun is saying "1080i looks about the same as 420p"?

Probably I can say 1080p looks exactly the same as regular TV when I am watching regular TV on 1080p HDTV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480p

cherpintow
01-12-2007, 04:15 PM
The second tv is a DLP. Maybe someone has to clarify the difference for me. I thought LCD and DLP were two separate technologies?

leec001
01-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by cherpintow
The second tv is a DLP. Maybe someone has to clarify the difference for me. I thought LCD and DLP were two separate technologies?

http://www.dlp-tv.com/vs-lcd-tv.htm

DLP TV Advantages
Contrast - deeper, darker, blacker blacks are possible on a DLP TV compared to LCD TVs.
Deeper, more three-dimensional picture with more detail, especially shadow detail.
The screen-door effect is not a factor on DLP TVs.
1080p DLP TV is now available!!!
Better off-axis uniformity of brightness than LCD.
Comparable screen size DLP TVs are usually smaller and lighter weight than similar screen size LCD TVs.
DLP TV has faster picture refresh rates than LCD TV. This can have implications if you enjoy watching high-action motion such as sports and action movies.
Read about DLP technology advantages at DLP.com.
LCD TV Advantages
Color saturation and balance looks great on animated movies.

The rainbow effect is not a factor on LCD TVs.

These are just a few of the issues in the DLP versus LCD debate. Perhaps we are biased since this is a site about DLP TV, but that is why you should trust your own eyes once you get your new HDTV up and running in your home.

For more information about DLP vs LCD televisions, check out the following excellent resources: The Great Technology War: LCD vs. DLP at Projector Central and DLP vs. LCD at TV Authority. Also, check out the June 2005 issue of Sound & Vision Magazine.

What are DLP, LCD TV Screens?

DLP stands for Digital Light Processing, while LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display. DLP technology, developed by Texas Instruments, uses a DMD, or Digital Micromirror Device, contructed of 1.3 million microscopic mirrors. Each of these mirrors is essentially a single pixel. When a digital signal enters the DLP system, each mirror is either activated or not, resulting in tapestry of mirrors tilting either towards the DLP light source or away. This process produces different levels of light and dark reflected by each individual mirror. The colors are produced when the DLP light sources run through a red, green, and blue color filter on a moving wheel. Depending on the lightness/ darkness of each mirror, the colors come in an enormous amount of shades, producing vivid color images.

LCD screens are made of several polarized glass panels, between which are liquid crystal molecules. An electric current is run through the crystal molecules, changing their position in respect to the glass. As light passes through the molecules, these changes in angle result in different lightness/ darkness patterns that produce images on the screen. There are usually three polarized glass panels, one with red pixels, blue, and green. This system also produced very accurate, vivid images, but angle is important. You may notice that the best colors in an LCD display are seen straight-on.

Is DLP, LCD TV Screens better than the other?

Simply put, that is a difficult question to answer. Unlike Plasma TV screens DLP and LCD last much are longer, and are considered to both have superior image quality. LCD screens tend to have slightly better contrast, with a larger range of black and white color shades. DLP, however, still has faster refresh rates than LCD (although LCD has been vastly improved in this area over the last two years). This can have implications if you are really into high-action motion (sports, action movies), because movement may seem a little blurred with LCD at times. Also, you'll want to remember that in order for you to get the best color out of your LCD, you have to sit right in front of it. LCD TVs also have a slightly shorter lifespan than DLPs, with only 45,000 to 60,000 hours compared to 75,000 hours or more. As far as price goes, LCD and DLP are still more expensive than Plasma, but like all things in time, their price has been coming down. And right now, DLP is slightly more expensive than LCD, but not by much. DLP, in our eyes, is the best investment, at least for the next few years.

redevil
01-12-2007, 05:13 PM
so is there a difference between a DLP and an LCD Projection Screen then, since it is different the a flat panel LCD^^.

I noticed that the Toshiba was DLP,

HyperZell
01-12-2007, 07:16 PM

http://www.dlp-tv.com/vs-lcd-tv.htm

DLP TV Advantages
Contrast - deeper, darker, blacker blacks are possible on a DLP TV compared to LCD TVs.
Deeper, more three-dimensional picture with more detail, especially shadow detail.
The screen-door effect is not a factor on DLP TVs.
1080p DLP TV is now available!!!
Better off-axis uniformity of brightness than LCD.
Comparable screen size DLP TVs are usually smaller and lighter weight than similar screen size LCD TVs.
DLP TV has faster picture refresh rates than LCD TV. This can have implications if you enjoy watching high-action motion such as sports and action movies.
Read about DLP technology advantages at DLP.com.
LCD TV Advantages
Color saturation and balance looks great on animated movies.

The rainbow effect is not a factor on LCD TVs.

These are just a few of the issues in the DLP versus LCD debate. Perhaps we are biased since this is a site about DLP TV, but that is why you should trust your own eyes once you get your new HDTV up and running in your home.

For more information about DLP vs LCD televisions, check out the following excellent resources: The Great Technology War: LCD vs. DLP at Projector Central and DLP vs. LCD at TV Authority. Also, check out the June 2005 issue of Sound & Vision Magazine.

What are DLP, LCD TV Screens?

DLP stands for Digital Light Processing, while LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display. DLP technology, developed by Texas Instruments, uses a DMD, or Digital Micromirror Device, contructed of 1.3 million microscopic mirrors. Each of these mirrors is essentially a single pixel. When a digital signal enters the DLP system, each mirror is either activated or not, resulting in tapestry of mirrors tilting either towards the DLP light source or away. This process produces different levels of light and dark reflected by each individual mirror. The colors are produced when the DLP light sources run through a red, green, and blue color filter on a moving wheel. Depending on the lightness/ darkness of each mirror, the colors come in an enormous amount of shades, producing vivid color images.

LCD screens are made of several polarized glass panels, between which are liquid crystal molecules. An electric current is run through the crystal molecules, changing their position in respect to the glass. As light passes through the molecules, these changes in angle result in different lightness/ darkness patterns that produce images on the screen. There are usually three polarized glass panels, one with red pixels, blue, and green. This system also produced very accurate, vivid images, but angle is important. You may notice that the best colors in an LCD display are seen straight-on.

Is DLP, LCD TV Screens better than the other?

Simply put, that is a difficult question to answer. Unlike Plasma TV screens DLP and LCD last much are longer, and are considered to both have superior image quality. LCD screens tend to have slightly better contrast, with a larger range of black and white color shades. DLP, however, still has faster refresh rates than LCD (although LCD has been vastly improved in this area over the last two years). This can have implications if you are really into high-action motion (sports, action movies), because movement may seem a little blurred with LCD at times. Also, you'll want to remember that in order for you to get the best color out of your LCD, you have to sit right in front of it. LCD TVs also have a slightly shorter lifespan than DLPs, with only 45,000 to 60,000 hours compared to 75,000 hours or more. As far as price goes, LCD and DLP are still more expensive than Plasma, but like all things in time, their price has been coming down. And right now, DLP is slightly more expensive than LCD, but not by much. DLP, in our eyes, is the best investment, at least for the next few years.

You can't be serious. Everyone, please disregard what this man has to say about TV's. Not because he's wrong (necessarily) but because of his credibility. leec001, you just posted the pros and cons of LCD and DLP from a website called 'www.dlp-tv.com'. Go to Wikipedia and look up 'bias'.

LCD and Plasma are the two leading technologies for TVs right now. The debate is which one of the two is better, NOT which is better: LCD or DLP. The main advantage of a DLP is that it is cheaper (NOT more expensive) than either LCD or plasma, while offering decent image quality. Also, you have to sit directly in front of a DLP to cancel out the dark corners, which is not an issue for LCD, contrary to that stupid article.

LCD project is different than LCD, so treat it as such. If one were to debate LCD vs plasma, a similiar debate could be made towards LCD projections vs DLP. I've posted this before, but this is basically the image quality heirarchy right now:

LCD or plasma
LCD projection or DLP
CRT

djayz
01-12-2007, 08:42 PM
If your still waiting for the price to go down on the LCD projection youll be waiting a while. Sony hardly drops its prices and when they do its not something to kill yourself over. Like i said in my first post, if you dont need the stand look around at other stores that carry the same model cuz you can buy it without the stand and save yourself 400 dollars.

And alot of posts in here are horribly comparing the wrong things.
As for the bulb...by the time you have to replace it will cost $150 dollars or less.

cherpintow
01-12-2007, 08:54 PM

LCD project is different than LCD, so treat it as such. If one were to debate LCD vs plasma, a similiar debate could be made towards LCD projections vs DLP. I've posted this before, but this is basically the image quality heirarchy right now:

LCD or plasma
LCD projection or DLP
CRT

I have a 50" Toshiba CRT and I haven't seen a plasma or LCD with significantly better quality yet. I've had it about a year now, but I did a side by side comparison with and LCD and the qualities were very comparable. CRT's might be huge, but their quality is incredible.

kaput
01-12-2007, 09:37 PM

leec001
01-13-2007, 01:08 AM

According to Toshiba and Sony's web site,

Toshiba 50HM66 can do 480i/480p/720p/1080i.
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=2&group=6&product=4773&category=

Sony KDF50E2000 can do 480i, 720p, 1080i
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1003132&navigationPath=n32050n45260

HyperZell
01-13-2007, 02:58 AM

According to Toshiba and Sony's web site,

Toshiba 50HM66 can do 480i/480p/720p/1080i.
http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=2&group=6&product=4773&category=

Sony KDF50E2000 can do 480i, 720p, 1080i
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=1003132&navigationPath=n32050n45260

Excellent, because for a minute there I thought Sony and Toshiba had lost their fucking minds. Futureshop's website is incorrect, so watch out for that when you make your purchasing decision.

By the way, there has to be a reason why almost everyone is focusing on flat panel technology now. If CRT was so good, then why switch at all? The obvious answer is that CRT isn't that good. The size is awful, and the dimming at the corners is now unacceptable for me. You can do better, trust me. LCD/plasma all the way.

redevil
01-14-2007, 01:09 AM
thanks for the opinions so far:thumbsup:

toomuchb00st
01-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by cherpintow

I have a 50" Toshiba CRT and I haven't seen a plasma or LCD with significantly better quality yet. I've had it about a year now, but I did a side by side comparison with and LCD and the qualities were very comparable. CRT's might be huge, but their quality is incredible.

Your blind....:eek:

toomuchb00st
01-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Between the two TV's your comparing buy the SONY. I just bought myself a 60'' Sony SXRD and im very happy with it. That specific line-up of Toshiba DLP's is a headache anyway. For the last 2 years Toshiba's DLP's are just a bunch of defective garbage. If you go onto Toshiba's website you can actually read on how bad their TV's are. Here look.....

http://209.167.114.38/forms/ceg/ceg_dlp_support.html

Moral of the story is buy the SONY. Anyway when you pick it up enjoy. Oh and by the way if I could I would give you a better deal than $1599.99 including stand but thats a pretty good deal.

redevil
01-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by toomuchb00st
Between the two TV's your comparing buy the SONY. I just bought myself a 60'' Sony SXRD and im very happy with it. That specific line-up of Toshiba DLP's is a headache anyway. For the last 2 years Toshiba's DLP's are just a bunch of defective garbage. If you go onto Toshiba's website you can actually read on how bad their TV's are. Here look.....

http://209.167.114.38/forms/ceg/ceg_dlp_support.html

Moral of the story is buy the SONY. Anyway when you pick it up enjoy. Oh and by the way if I could I would give you a better deal than $1599.99 including stand but thats a pretty good deal.

The price of the Sony is $1400 with stand at The Brick, and SoundsAround. Need to see if I can get extended warranty with it as well..

toomuchb00st
01-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by redevil

The price of the Sony is $1400 with stand at The Brick, and SoundsAround. Need to see if I can get extended warranty with it as well..

Thats the 46''?

redevil
01-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by toomuchb00st

Thats the 46''?

Yup that is the 46"

The Brick flyer (http://brickwarehouse.richfx.com/catalog_brickw_en/redhot/index.aspx)

webpage link (http://www.thebrick.com/Application/Cart/BuyRoom.asp?SiteCode=EN&ProductCode=KDF46EPKG&/catalog_brickw_en/redhot/custom/Product.aspx?rfx_spread=20&rfx_gid=1310727&rfx_pageid=21&rfx_catalog=1&rfx_passback=&rfx_base=http%3A//brickwarehouse.richfx.com.edgesuite.net/catalog_brickw_en/redhot/&rfx_catalog_base=http%3A//brickwarehouse.richfx.com/catalog_brickw_en/redhot/index.aspx%3F&rfx_omni=1&rfx_OmniPageName=p20-21&rfx_OmniCatalogName=redhot&rfx_OmniClientID=thebrick&rfx_page=20&RFX_PassBack=&rfx_catalogname=redhot&rfx_catalog=1&)

leec001
01-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Beware the difference between E200 (Brick) and E2000 (BB)
E200 doesn't have Optical out and ATSC Tuner
E2000 does.

P.S. Free Stand promotion from SONY had been expired on 8 Jan, 2007.

redevil
01-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Beware the difference between E200 (Brick) and E2000 (BB)
E200 doesn't have Optical out and ATSC Tuner
E2000 does.

P.S. Free Stand promotion from SONY had been expired on 8 Jan, 2007.

Last I was at the Brick they were selling the E2000 model, the e200 only comes in a 42" . I know there are probably some old 46" models still kicking around at some places, but those have different model #.

The free stand promo, was again extended from Sony till Feb.4/07. I checked out the www.sonystyle.ca site

djayz
01-14-2007, 05:46 PM
The optical out is kind of useless specially if you have a home theatre setup. And the atsc tuner is useless cuz we dont get off the air hd channels.

And dont buy it from the brick unless your 100% certain that your going to keep the tv. They dont offer refunds only exchanges and it must be within 7 days of purchase. If your going to buy warranty buy it from soundsaround because i believe they give you the warranty money back if you dont use it at the end of it.