PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide what car to get!

writhen
01-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Budget: $10,000
Want: RWD car that is reliable (in the winter and summer), easy to mod, and survivable to drive in the winter. I was thinking something along the lines of a 3rd gen camaro or foxbody stang (don't know much about either though). Although I hate the interiors in both those cars, the v8 muscle is enticing.

Any and all opinions considered. If you have any recommendations, please feel free to input!

pinoyhero
01-12-2007, 07:08 AM
The newest civic you can buy ftw!

BigBearWest
01-12-2007, 07:30 AM
240sx

Eleanor
01-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by writhen
Want: RWD car

Originally posted by pinoyhero
The newest civic you can buy ftw!

Get an old 5.0 mustang.

Hamann
01-12-2007, 08:48 AM
I bought a 5.0 Mustang about a month ago, really fun to drive and easy to control in the winter, basically like with most cars, dont be a dumb shit while your driving it in the winter and you should be fine. Plus you cant beat the Exhaust note of the v8 :thumbsup: But you should definetly get winter tires if you go this Way.

writhen
01-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Hmmm....yeah I was leaning towards a 91-93 5.0 stang. The only thing is that it does look pretty outdated these days, and the interior is just pathetic lol.

Hamann
01-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Ya, the Interior is one hell of a draw back with them, it was also really hard finding one with in good condition aswell, alot have been basically driven into the ground and people try and sell them for 7-8g's or have 250+thousand Km on them and rusted to shit, took me about 3 months of looking to find mine, but i wasnt really lookin that hard. But mine warms up real quick in the winter which is really nice.

I personally like the look of the 88-93 Fox Bodies, but im not really a fan of the GT body kit. Aftermarket for the cars is insane to, so much to chose from, and most of it is reasonably priced.
Replacement parts are really cheap to cause theres a shit load of the cars out there.

Dont really know much about the 3rd Gen Camaro's though, my guess is they would be along the same lines. Best bet would be to look at a bunch and test drive a couple, see what you like.

Mitsu3000gt
01-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Hmmm....yeah I was leaning towards a 91-93 5.0 stang. The only thing is that it does look pretty outdated these days, and the interior is just pathetic lol.

The interior is absolute crap (in my opinion) and sounds like yours too. Your the one who has to live in it every day, I would rethink the choice maybe. Also, I'm not sure how reliable they are. Even if they are reliable, keep in mind your buying a 13-15 year old car and things WILL start to break. I would go for something newer or japanese for the $10,000 budget. I've ridden in these cars, and older and newer mustangs/comaros and they all have an amazing amount of creaks/squeaks/strange noises, their interiors are brutal (IMO) and almost 100% plastic, and they just don't give me a good feeling about being in it at all. If you take over bumps or rail road tracks it feels like the car is going to fall apart. It feels like it was put together by a bunch of high school mechanic students who didn't care.. Thats just my impression from the examples I've been in, perhaps others have had more positive experiences.

With engine mods, they will however go fast in a straight line, if thats high on your list, perhaps it is a good choice.

Pee_Sack
01-12-2007, 09:45 AM
hell the intereior of my 2003 WRX is crap, but it is something I live with everyday in order to have a nice car.

Mitsu3000gt
01-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Pee_Sack
hell the intereior of my 2003 WRX is crap, but it is something I live with everyday in order to have a nice car.

I never thought they were that bad. Perhaps a little plain, but there is far, far, far worse being sold in brand new cars IMO.

Do you have any mods on your WRX? I was going to buy one before I found my S4. I like them alot.

BigMass
01-12-2007, 10:20 AM
for under 10k you can get a very nice E30 BMW 325. Great leather interior, nice 6 cyl engine and mechanically (from experience) very reliable. Some niggles in the electrics but usually minor. With some aftermarket suspension and wheels/tires, can be made to handle very very nicely.

Cowtown_Raider
01-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I hear they're not great in the snow, but maybe with winter tires you could get by....what about a 300ZX? Could probably get one around $10K. Even the non-turbo has a 222 HP V6 and a nice interior/ride.

Hamann
01-12-2007, 10:39 AM
I dont Have any Problems with Creaks/Squeaks/Stange Noises with My Mustang, but you gotta realize your buying a 15yr old car, its not gonna have a perfect interior, things are gonna be cracked cause it is plastic, but again, parts are cheap and plentiful. for 10g you should be able to find one in really good condition you'll just have to look around for it.

Basically if you want something fun to drive, you should definetly check out some mustangs, decide for yourself if you can live with the interior :thumbsup:

DepTrotter
01-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Kia Rio

writhen
01-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Cowtown_Raider
I hear they're not great in the snow, but maybe with winter tires you could get by....what about a 300ZX? Could probably get one around $10K. Even the non-turbo has a 222 HP V6 and a nice interior/ride.

I own a Z32 man. I've owned 3. I will never...mark my words...never EVER drive a Z in the winter. It's blasphemy.

Moving on, the e30 3 series ive heard are pretty bad in the winter due to lack of weight...also the cars are pretty small. Maybe an e30 m3 though? I love those cars...I guess they'd suck in the winter as well.

I honestly don't really know what my other options are. I love V8's. Never owned one and I really want to. However, I also like driving twisties a lot (I try to frequent track/mountain roads) so a mustang might not be the most fun.

I guess something like a 240sx :dunno: Damn...reduced from a V8 to an I4 now lol. I definitely don't want to drop to a 4 cylinder...stay in the 6's at least.

BigMass
01-12-2007, 11:26 AM
i had an E30 for 5 years and my dad has been driving his for 16 years now. Both were driven year round with no issues. Just get winter tires on the stock rims and throw a couple of sandbags in the trunk when the snow dumps then take them out when the roads dry. When i get in my dads E30 it makes me wish i never sold mine. Its 16 years old and feels better than most new cars. Nicer interior, light weight, not bloated and big. Unless you like a big boat of a car.

phrozeone
01-12-2007, 11:36 AM

Moving on, the e30 3 series ive heard are pretty bad in the winter due to lack of weight...also the cars are pretty small. Maybe an e30 m3 though? I love those cars...I guess they'd suck in the winter as well.

I honestly don't really know what my other options are. I love V8's.

If your leaning toward a v8, look into a e34 540i bimmer, they very reiable cars and can be pimped out easy. :bigpimp:

writhen
01-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Hmm...well anyone else with some options? $15 grand is my absolute max.

Last night my friend recommended I get a camaro SS 96+. Those are the LS SBC's right? Any opinions on these cars?