PDA

View Full Version : How to Save Thousands on your next Vehicle

TNation
01-12-2007, 11:49 AM
I don't know if this has been posted before, but oh well here goes.
I strongly strongly recommend looking in Ontario for your car.
The cars out there are 4k to 5k for the cars you are looking at. I bought a G35 there last year and saved myself at least $6k to 7k right off the bat..
the deals there amazing. To ship it to Alberta is only $830 or something... $1000 to your door. You can ask for online quotes which are replied back quickly
Give her a look... it really is incredible.
When we bought our car out there we got all the PST back because we are from Alberta. The Alberta government returns it back. Shipping is only like $900 after taxes. The cars out there usually have a warranty which is valid for Ontario but a warranty can be negotiated for mechanics in Calgary. I look at it this way... if the Maxima/Camry/Accord you buy is not great, you can still sell it for way more money out here and make money. You can't really lose money, unless their is a large amount of damage, in which you could talk to the dealership about.
If you have a friend out in Ontario, ask him to testdrive it. You can pay a $50 fee and have a mechanic from a place test out the car (we did that). And by the way, the rust issue is an overrated and idiotic belief people have about Ontario cars. All newer cars in Ontario (like 95 and on) usually don't have rust or anything. I lived there for 13 years and all the cars I had owned out there had zero rust. I really don't understand what the big deal is. Older cars have the rust, but a newer car hasn't been through enough winters for rust to be an issue. I'm not sure about guarantees but I'm pretty sure dealerships will take the car back if you pay for shipping both ways. It depends on where you buy it.
For Example.. look at this dealership showroom.. a 2002 Audi A6 for $12,900 !!!!!

http://www.bellauto.ca/showroom.html

Go check out a Honda Prelude.. 5th gen.
Prices are insanely cheaper.
Just some thoughts, guys!

CasperWho
01-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Or head down to Vegas.
Don't worry about ANY rust, and pay reduced prices.. :D

Mr_ET
01-12-2007, 12:03 PM
I lived in eastern canada for 24 years and rust is an issue on any car that is more then 6 years old and not rust protected.

Even if no rust is on the body pop the hood on any eastern car more then 2 years old and you will see massive amounts of oxidation on wires, bolts and rust on manifolds and such.

That is a the reason why they are less expensive. It is also less money because they are more abundant because more people live there. I sold cars new and used for a Mazda dealership here and they stay away from eastern cars as much as possible and buyers are willing to pay much less after knowing it was in eastern canada.

Don't mean to bash but just stating facts. Calcium is an issue...

DRKM
01-12-2007, 12:05 PM
The problem with cars the east is that they are rust buckets! Seriously people come to my shop all the time for Out of provinces and everything is rusted.

Bolts break, things seize. Serioulsy it is not fun!

Las vegas and arizona would be a much better choices. It may seem intimidatig bringing a car across the boarder but it really isn't.

2EFNFAST
01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
What if there are problems with the car? I would hate to have to deal with somebody cross-province.

schocker
01-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by CasperWho
Or head down to Vegas.
Don't worry about ANY rust, and pay reduced prices.. :D
Correct, or other states aswell. :thumbsup:

TNation
01-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
I lived in eastern canada for 24 years and rust is an issue on any car that is more then 6 years old and not rust protected.

Even if no rust is on the body pop the hood on any eastern car more then 2 years old and you will see massive amounts of oxidation on wires, bolts and rust on manifolds and such.

That is a the reason why they are less expensive. It is also less money because they are more abundant because more people live there. I sold cars new and used for a Mazda dealership here and they stay away from eastern cars as much as possible and buyers are willing to pay much less after knowing it was in eastern canada.

Don't mean to bash but just stating facts. Calcium is an issue...

I've had multiple (8 or so vehicles) in Eastern Canada and all were newer cars (no older than 4 years) and rust was never an issue for myself personally and I bought all imports like Camry's and Maxima's (which should not matter). The prices out east are cheaper because of the amount of people and cars that are available which then sends the prices down. You can get 'never winter driven' cars and save thousands there too.
Importing and exporting from the States seems like to big of a hassle with everything from taxes to daylight running lights... if you want to buy a newer car just save some cash and buy it out east, hassle free.

pyar_deewane
01-12-2007, 01:05 PM
wow thanks for the info...cuz I always wanted to purchase a car from the east

though the tax was an issue....can u tell me how to get your money back from the government and does it work on anything or only cars:thumbsup:

Whitetiger
01-12-2007, 01:22 PM
:burnout: Scary not seeing the car first. (i.e. not worth it to buy a plane ticket just to LOOK at a car, and hard to blame Eastern friend if he doesn't know what to look for)

Nav13
01-12-2007, 01:41 PM
my gf has a 1.6 el that she has shipped out east from here. So does that mean she could ask for a lil more cause its an alberta car?

TNation
01-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by pyar_deewane
wow thanks for the info...cuz I always wanted to purchase a car from the east

though the tax was an issue....can u tell me how to get your money back from the government and does it work on anything or only cars:thumbsup:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic
but i've bought two cars out east and it has not been scary at all.
Just make sure the dealership or wherever you are buying from has a warranty of some type on the car. If you can afford it, spend $600 and fly to Ontario for a weekend and test drive all the cars you like. This summer for example, we are going to Ontario for vacation. We will fly out but we need a vehicle out there (in my case, an X5). We need another vehicle anyways so we are buying one out there.. its so much cheaper, and an X5 is wayyy cheaper.
here's a good website for getting tax back from the PST from an Ontario sale:

http://www.cbsc.org/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1102940239020&pagename=OSBW%2FCBSC_WebPage%2FCBSC_WebPage_Temp&c=CBSC_WebPage#prov
http://www.finance.gov.ab.ca/publications/tax_rebates/index.html

you can call up Alberta Taxation and stuff for a form or a rebate to get your money back.

TNation
01-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Nav13
my gf has a 1.6 el that she has shipped out east from here. So does that mean she could ask for a lil more cause its an alberta car?

no I doubt it. People in Ontario are probably not going to care if the car was from Alberta because of the high number of cheaper EL's in Ontario.

pyar_deewane
01-12-2007, 02:47 PM
wait so can I get my money back on all things from other provinces and I wasn't being sarcastic:guns: lol

max_boost
01-12-2007, 02:59 PM
I would just buy from Vancouver. Greater selection, no worries about rust and the drive back is beautiful in the summer.

TNation
01-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I would just buy from Vancouver. Greater selection, no worries about rust and the drive back is beautiful in the summer.
thats not a bad idea either!
cars there are still more expensive than Toronto though because there is less people.

euro_racer
01-12-2007, 03:28 PM
good info :thumbsup: most of the dielers (if not all of them) buy their used cars from auctions in ontario and get them shipped here all the time. keep in mind some of their cars are from here but alot are fron the east. the easiest way notice is by the holes for the lisence plates in the front bumper. i laugh every time i see someone i know pick up a used car from a dealer because to me it is obvious and they most likely cold have imported the same, if not better car for cheaper

however there is a difference when buying a car from the east with the rust. ive seen several cars that were no more than a year old and stuff like suspension bolts and other exposed parts were allready corroded and a job on an eastern car would take 20 min more than it did on a car from here.

if you do not care too much about the rust and don't plan on doing much work to your car it is deffinately worth it :thumbsup:

JordanAndrew
01-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Great information, I will definitely keep these options of where to buy cars next time. :thumbsup:

old&slow
01-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Well I dont know about rusty vehicles here abouts but I know they salt the roads with a vengeance at the slightest hint of snow or cold. And the gravel has my 2 yr old RSX destroyed on the front end.

What part of Ontario we be talking about here?
I have relatives down near Toronto.
I may need to replace a vehicle in the summer. Maybe it will be worth a shot to West Jet down and drive back!

You can't seem to get a deal anywhere out here...

Used car lots are scary tho...how do you know that the milage has not been rolled back a 100,000k?
Not that it couldn't happen at a regular dealership!

2000Accord
01-13-2007, 09:24 AM
I would agree that the vehicles in Ontario are discounted more due to excess supply than due to salt on the roads. If you are buying a vehicle that is only a couple years old, it should not be a big issue.

I am surprized about having to apply for the PST refund, as we recently bought a vehicle from BC, and simply provided the dealer with a copy of our Alberta Drivers License, and did not pay PST.

There was also a comment about Provincial Warranty, however the manufacturer's warranty should be Nation wide (this would be on issue with some manufacturer's if importing from the US).

TNation
01-13-2007, 03:42 PM
What part of Ontario we be talking about here?
I have relatives down near Toronto.
I may need to replace a vehicle in the summer. Maybe it will be worth a shot to West Jet down and drive back!

You can't seem to get a deal anywhere out here...

-- I bought my car from a dealership in Toronto and no worries at all. In fact, they offered me a warranty for out west. Its totally worth a shot just to check out the prices. There's no point in spending the stupid amount of money people want for cars that are way cheaper out East. Which leads to my next point..

I would agree that the vehicles in Ontario are discounted more due to excess supply than due to salt on the roads. If you are buying a vehicle that is only a couple years old, it should not be a big issue.

--that sums up everything i had to say in like 40 words. a newer vehicle will not have issues with rust and PST refunds are easily available... do not believe those who say its a hassle or the salt will corrode your car instantaneously.
A lot of the cars out here are from the East anyways!! :clap: