PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of a washing machine?

2EFNFAST
01-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I have an old, broken Maytag washing machine I'm trying to get rid of - I figure I could always pay somebody like those Gargbage Good Guys to take it away, But i"M trying to brainstorm ideas that are, well, free :D

Any suggestions?

drew_goring
01-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Here's what I did with our broken washer and stove over Christmas...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/drewgoring/shootinstuff008.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/drewgoring/shootinstuff006.jpg

Whitetiger
01-13-2007, 01:31 PM
:whipped: destroyl

dankish1
01-13-2007, 01:34 PM
call up a used appliance store
they might even pay you for it.
they come and take it away.

2EFNFAST
01-13-2007, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dankish1
call up a used appliance store
they might even pay you for it.
they come and take it away. [
/QUOTE]

Never heard of a used appliance store before? Can you offer any names to look into?

Whitetiger
01-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I'd say just order those junk guys.

SOMETIMES (if you got mad communication skills), look into the yellow pages, and trick those repair shops in saying you've got this 2-3 years old appliance that only had a motor blow up, you just bought a new one, and the old one's still in excellent shape... if they want it to refurbished, it's their's for the taking.

Dayclone
01-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Blow it up tehehe :D

5hift
01-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Whitetiger

SOMETIMES (if you got mad communication skills), look into the yellow pages, and trick those repair shops in saying you've got this 2-3 years old appliance that only had a motor blow up, you just bought a new one, and the old one's still in excellent shape... if they want it to refurbished, it's their's for the taking.

You do realize these "junk guys" are busy people with jobs and things to do of their own. I'm pretty sure they would realize you wasted their time and the machine is an out of date POS as soon as they saw it.

dankish1
01-13-2007, 02:08 PM
there is a place in bowness not sure of the name.
right accros from the 711
there is another place on charelswood drive and northmount drive

Kritafo
01-13-2007, 02:46 PM
FREECYCLE. Even when they aren't working people will use them for parts possibly. I got rid of our stove and fridge this way, they both weren't working, but someone always wants them it seems.

Supa Dexta
01-13-2007, 03:33 PM
put it on the curb with a cardboard sign that says

"still works ok"

and in small print or on the back put "as a desk" or sumtin

:rofl:

2EFNFAST
01-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by dankish1
there is a place in bowness not sure of the name.
right accros from the 711
there is another place on charelswood drive and northmount drive

I do'nt suppose you remember any of their place......'a place' can be a weee bit vague ;)

Deville
01-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Whitetiger

Fuck, I'd be so pissed if you called me up and I came over and you showed me that, Not a good idea... go drop it off in front of calgary metal on ogden road, I always see stuff there, not sure how legal it is, but at least it will get recycled.

idriveabox
01-13-2007, 08:09 PM
"Those junk guys" will charge you a minimum of 106 to pick it up.

Take it to the city dump in a truck and it gets recycled. Or take it to Calgary Metal.

ninspeed
01-13-2007, 08:21 PM
navajo metals takes them. Give them a call and ask if anything needs to be taken out first

2EFNFAST
01-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by idriveabox
"Those junk guys" will charge you a minimum of 106 to pick it up.

Take it to the city dump in a truck and it gets recycled. Or take it to Calgary Metal.

Right, buy you see, the problem is I don't have any way to get it over there, so, um, I'm trying to figure out how to get somebody to take it for free :D

Whitetiger
01-14-2007, 12:43 AM
But again, we don't know how "broken" it is...

Maybe it's only a blown motor like I've assumed... which probably cost these appliance recyclers nothing; cuz they've probably have 100+ half-working ones sitting around the lot...

A piece here, and a piece there and a couple pieces from another machine; give it a fresh coat of paint... and truck it to Trail Appliances for "dent and scratch" sale.

Originally posted by Deville

Fuck, I'd be so pissed if you called me up and I came over and you showed me that, Not a good idea... go drop it off in front of calgary metal on ogden road, I always see stuff there, not sure how legal it is, but at least it will get recycled.

ercchry
01-14-2007, 01:07 AM
call up a buddy with a truck brib him with beer or something and then toss it in the recycled metal bin at your local high school

dankish1
01-15-2007, 03:23 AM
i drive by both places on my way home from work.
i will let you know tomrrow

2EFNFAST
01-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by dankish1
i drive by both places on my way home from work.
i will let you know tomrrow