PDA

View Full Version : Testdrove an S2K, OMG!

Speed_RaSiR
07-19-2002, 03:40 PM
My buddy that works at the dealership (won't say which one) let me take it out on a country road and open it up. OMG! What an amazing machine, so damn fast, handles like a dream. If only I had 50gz to buy one.

I give the old :thumbsup: for the S2K!

Fluidic
07-19-2002, 04:24 PM
LOL -- if only I had that kind of cash!! :( :confused:

Tuner1
07-19-2002, 04:39 PM
Yeah they are great cars. You should try one with upgraded suspension and a CT Supercharger, you'd really like that!

Rob

Redlyne_mr2
07-19-2002, 04:54 PM
is ti true that upgrading the suspension lcause the car to become very tail happy..ive heard this befroe but it just doesnt make any sense:dunno:

rage2
07-19-2002, 05:19 PM
The stock car (IMO) is already quite tail happy. I drove a S2K quite hard for a few days 2 years ago and was able to kick the tail out easily in 1st and 2nd gear corners. Definately not a car for the inexperienced. Bags of fun.

SilverStreak
07-19-2002, 05:41 PM
Glad you like the S :thumbsup:
I like it too ;)

Tail happy eh, hmm don't give her gas in the middle of a turn, drive over the threshold in the rain or drive with the stock S02's in the winter and you'll be good.

The S is a raw sports car, you have to feel it :D

Ekliptix
07-19-2002, 05:50 PM
I know what you're talking about with the tail-happines when lowered. I read an article in a magazine that was featuring two modded s2k's. Comptech and Neuspeed put a bunch of parts on each of the cars including a lowered ride height. Both car's tails were more prone to sliding out, which was bad. So the S2000's suspension couldn't be improved by the ways that those two companies tried.

SilverStreak
07-19-2002, 05:57 PM
It can be improved.

J's Racing
Spoon
Mugen have aftermarket suspension upgrades for the S2K. Don't tell me the Spoon S2K that you see in the JGTC handles worse than stock.

Here are a list of myths about the S2K:

tail happy
dangerous in the rain
lack of torque

I don't know but beating a Boxster S on a race track, I think the S handles just fine :p

I know rage visits s2ki.com often, if you guys want to know more, you should lurk there too.

:thumbsup:

Ekliptix
07-19-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
So the S2000's suspension couldn't be improved by the ways that those two companies tried.

of course there's always something to improve on.

SilverStreak
07-19-2002, 06:05 PM

of course there's always something to improve on.

that is right, that is why we are all on this planet, to mod our cars :D

rage2
07-19-2002, 09:24 PM
Both car's tails were more prone to sliding out, which was bad.

Bad? I prefer a car where I can control the tail with the throttle.

Originally posted by SilverStreak
Here are a list of myths about the S2K:

tail happy
dangerous in the rain
lack of torque

tail happy - the reason why people say the car is tail happy is because in 1st or 2nd gear, 9000rpm in a corner, let off, lots of engine braking, rear end steps out. IMO, being able to control the rear end with the throttle is a good thing, there's less room for error, but in the end it'll get you around the track faster with more control. Unfortunately, the inexperienced driver calls this effect "tail happy", and we see a lot of crashed S2K's.

dangerous in the rain - see above

lack of torque - the car DOES have a lack of torque at low rpms... once it gets going it's great. It wants to stall at 1000rpms in parking lots. Either break parking lot speed limits, or use the clutch a lot to be smooth.

I know rage visits s2ki.com often, if you guys want to know more, you should lurk there too.

Busted!

mischief
07-19-2002, 09:35 PM
I test drove one today. Not a bad car for the money. However I'm not a fan of the hi reving engine to get power. To me the car doesn't feel that fast. I find it hard to believe that the 0-60 mph time is 5.6 sec. I much prefer cars with lots of low end torque like the slk.

GothicSmurf
07-19-2002, 09:45 PM
lack of torque

couldn't that be said for all stock hondas? if you want torque, you gotta go euro or yank cars

SilverStreak
07-19-2002, 09:58 PM
Hmm, test driving, PM us where you test driven these S's so that new buyers can beware. :D

Unless you guys bag the crap out of that used black one at T&T it doesn't matter. That one use to below to the lady that won the Power107 contest but couldn't learn to drive a manual and basically killed it.

SilverStreak
07-19-2002, 10:00 PM
In a RWD 50/50 balanced car, it is all about balance. The people who complain about the tail happy nature unsettled the balance. There isn't Traction Control or Stability control to bail you out. I did mention raw didn't I? :D

max_boost
07-19-2002, 10:01 PM
I would love to have a S2000! Although I am not much of a racer, these cars rock!

boi-alien
07-20-2002, 12:53 AM
i wish i had the coin for an s2k, then i'd be a :bigpimp:

Silencer
07-20-2002, 01:58 AM
S2ki rules!

gpomp
07-20-2002, 02:12 AM
I must be tired as hell cuz I read the topic as "Testdrove an SLK, AMG!"

****ing worst day ever.

Stratus_Power
07-20-2002, 02:26 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RiceCake
07-20-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

****ing worst day ever.

dood sorry about the list of events for tonight... :(

Fluidic
07-20-2002, 02:42 AM
Yah dude... for sure... glad everything is ok... and in about three weeks... everything will hopefully be back to normal! :D :D

Peter

spyguy
07-20-2002, 02:51 AM
i can attest....drives so freaking nice...love the redline!:thumbsup:

shadowz
07-20-2002, 03:11 AM
Nice ride I wish I had one

spyderman
07-20-2002, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by spyguy
i can attest....drives so freaking nice...love the redline!:thumbsup:

You lying bastard, you promised you wouldn't bag it..:madred: :guns: :rofl:

Evan
07-20-2002, 08:33 AM

****ing worst day ever.

:rofl:

Hope your day get's better! :thumbsup:

4wheeldrift
07-20-2002, 09:03 AM
Don't tell me the Spoon S2K that you see in the JGTC handles worse than stock.
Thats a full blown race car though, with a pro driver behind the wheel. Anyone can throw lowering springs on a car and hope they make it better. A full out race machine like a JGTC has a couple of million dollars of suspension development go into it so it can pull 1.2g on the skidpad, something that neuspeed car will never be able to do.

And as for tailhappiness, that is NOT a desirable trait on a street driven car. There are too many wankers out there who do not have the requisite car control to keep these cars out of the weeds.

rage2
07-20-2002, 10:30 AM

Lay off the crack pipe! :D

importadrenelin
07-20-2002, 07:28 PM
S2000's are nice but under powered.. for a 4 banger it hauls ass but first thing I would do is strap on a supercharger to get hr going.. if you think about it you can get a used RX-7 or Supra TT that could walk a S2000...... but then again those are 3 very different engines....