PDA

View Full Version : Cell from the Middle East work w/ Telus?

davidI
01-15-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm currently working in the Middle East (Yemen) and even though this Country is ridiculously poor, everyone has nicer phones than we have in North America! Is it possible to buy a phone here and hook it up to a telus plan. I know you can sometimes swap SIM cards etc. but I've also read online that there are different MHz for networks around the world??

sputnik
01-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Telus phones are CDMA (hence the crappy phones). The phones that you can get in the middle east can be used on Rogers.

GQBalla
01-15-2007, 11:23 AM
werd ^^^ the only way to get a phone to work with telus it to buy a telus branded phone

Weapon_R
01-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Will not work, don't bother bringing one over...

afrotl
01-15-2007, 03:29 PM
As they all said plus TELUS does not use SIM cards, so only Rogers or Fido will be your viable option.,

adam c
01-15-2007, 03:33 PM
there are some telus phones with sim cards
i was in the telus store and one of the guys was talking to a woman about how to use it but they are still CDMA

afrotl
01-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by adam c
there are some telus phones with sim cards
i was in the telus store and one of the guys was talking to a woman about how to use it but they are still CDMA
There is only one phone with a SIM card the Motorala A890 and it only works outside of North America and on a different frequency, the Phone that Telus has with the SIM will not work on the Rogers or FIdo network. They call it a Global roaminng card.

Sharpie
01-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by afrotl

There is only one phone with a SIM card the Motorala A890 and it only works outside of North America and on a different frequency, the Phone that Telus has with the SIM will not work on the Rogers or FIdo network. They call it a Global roaminng card.
My nokia has a spot for a sim card it is the 6265i...and I am on telus

S4 PLAY
01-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

It's still a CDMA phone and all of the phones from the Middle East are GSM. The networks are incompatible.

hussein
01-15-2007, 04:10 PM
So, are you planning on bringing any sweet phones over? :bigpimp:

afrotl
01-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

I have the same phone aswell it is not a SIM card slot it is a RUIM (spelling ) slot and sim card will not work with it. you can put a SIM card in and try it.