PDA

View Full Version : I need a job

wiggaplz
01-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Hi all

I'm 18 years old and I'm going back to school in early February. Right now I'm working as a 1st year Apprentice for an electrical company but I hate the work and can't wait to get out of it...

I am going to need a part time job 20-30 hrs a week with some decent pay (around 15 bucks would be wicked) and nothing shitty like fast food or a grocery store.

Someone just recommend me some jobs that they worked in when they were my age or what they are doing now, etc etc

thanks

natejj
01-15-2007, 12:31 PM
So you need a job for 2 weeks?

wiggaplz
01-15-2007, 12:34 PM
No, my bad, I should of worded that better. For 2 more weeks I'll be working still as an apprentice (making as much money as possible) then when I start school I need a part-time job that still pays decent and holds some credibility.

Ven
01-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Maybe change companies instead. It'd be shame to waste an apprenticeship in a top tier trade. Lots of potential there financially and professionally.

st184
01-15-2007, 12:40 PM
I work at the source by cricuit city, (old radioshack). Pay is 8.10/hour plus commission plus spiffs. Easy job to get into, very fun and credible. You do need to have a general knowledge of electronics to work here and the rest is easy. Pay isnt great if your at a slower store like me but its pretty chill (i.e. im at work right now surfing beyond :P) and it will get you through school.

wiggaplz
01-15-2007, 12:40 PM
I work for a very good company, I would just rather go back to school and work towards a career I actually WANT to pursue.

Any recommendations any one ?

dodger97
01-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Ven
Maybe change companies instead. It'd be shame to waste an apprenticeship in a top tier trade. Lots of potential there financially and professionally.

I agree...it may be the company. I would suggest trying another company to see if it's the work or just the company. The electrical trade is a fantastic trade but then again it's not for everyone.

wiggaplz
01-15-2007, 12:45 PM
lol, I never thought this thread would turn into this.

I work for the best & largest company (Western Electric) in Calgary, ok?! I like the money, I don't like the work and woudl rather do something else with my life and that's that. Anyone have anything else to recommend me?

88CRX
01-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by wiggaplz
I work for the best & largest company (Western Electric) in Calgary, ok?! I like the money, I don't like the work and woudl rather do something else with my life and that's that. Anyone have anything else to recommend me?

For $15/hr+ good luck.

wiggaplz
01-15-2007, 01:22 PM
15 bucks would be good but it's not a necessity, just something around 10-12 would probably suffice.

ercchry
01-15-2007, 05:54 PM
warehouse work? :dunno: :dunno: they have some crazy hours so it would probly work well with school my buddy use to work like 12 hour days on the weekend

Mikey_008
01-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Calgary BMW is looking for lot attendants and vehicle coordinators....i believe pay is around 10-12 an hour depending on experience!

DC2Legend
01-16-2007, 09:24 PM
work at telus, the catch is...they tell u to go training for 6 weeks full time]

but u get paid 18.50 an hour lol i would of taken the job if i had 6 weeks to spare for full time (8:30am-4:30pm)

IhateDomestic
01-17-2007, 01:17 AM
there's billions of dollars flowing in and out of economy today

there is no quick buck you can make, if you work for it innovatively-you can find it.

perhaps think about creating your own occupation and become self-reliant instead of working for others?

no one will come up to you and just offer you a $15/hr off the bat, what makes you so special?

i fucking hate people who complain about money yet, perhaps they aren't ones who deserve to have it.

tons of kids your age piss me off, no effort of using your own mind or taking self initiative. if you want more money than what your employer gives you-well here's news! its a free market economy out there, we're not living in a world of communism.

go out there and find your own fucking money. truth hurts doesn't it?

and if you have no creative mind to find a way, how about you go work hard to get money like the other thousands of immigrants working their ass off not complaining and receiving a $7-9 /hr wage

:whipped: :banghead:

ercchry
01-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by DC2Legend
work at telus, the catch is...they tell u to go training for 6 weeks full time]

but u get paid 18.50 an hour lol i would of taken the job if i had 6 weeks to spare for full time (8:30am-4:30pm)

what do they pay you for training?

edit: is this the job your talking about? telus (http://jobsearch.monster.ca/getjob.asp?JobID=52581537&AVSDM=2007%2D01%2D16+17%3A45%3A39&Logo=1&pg=3&sort=cp&tm=1d&lid=226&cy=CA&dcjvlid=226)

Whitetiger
01-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Immigrants wreck the system of increasing wages.

pyar_deewane
01-17-2007, 01:24 AM
^^ what kind of telus store....what do u mean u have to work 6weeks full time:confused:

JDMteg
01-17-2007, 01:26 AM
well done "IhateDomestic" as for the guy looking for the job if u want a job come work for my concrete company $16+ only in the summer time tho and u gotta work from 6 am- 6 pm atleast try that my friend , when u try this job u will learn to apprciate money way more

Its a back breaking job i started when i was 15 working for my old man

ercchry
01-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by JDMteg
well done "IhateDomestic" as for the guy looking for the job if u want a job come work for my concrete company $16+ only in the summer time tho and u gotta work from 6 am- 6 pm atleast try that my friend , when u try this job u will learn to apprciate money way more

Its a back breaking job i started when i was 15 working for my old man

do you have more details?

and if someone whats 'easy money' check out this
sweet job (http://jobsearch.monster.ca/getjob.asp?JobID=52577279&AVSDM=2007%2D01%2D16+16%3A30%3A48&Logo=1&pg=3&sort=cp&tm=1d&lid=226&cy=CA&dcjvlid=226) :rolleyes:

Although Monster has reference to job placements this offering is for a $39.95 Work at Home opportunity which is 100% refundable if the offer is not to your liking.

jf97talon
01-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

do you have more details?

and if someone whats 'easy money' check out this
sweet job (http://jobsearch.monster.ca/getjob.asp?JobID=52577279&AVSDM=2007%2D01%2D16+16%3A30%3A48&Logo=1&pg=3&sort=cp&tm=1d&lid=226&cy=CA&dcjvlid=226) :rolleyes:

It's 6 weeks of basic training to be on phones in a call center for them
They will only pay that much for either graves or well experienced agents from past call centers. Especially if you come from competing companies.

I work for a call center called NETELLER.
Its 2 weeks of training, you get paid 12/hour for training, then 14/hour for day shift. 16/hour for night shift

Monthly bonuses can be won, year end raises/bonuses.
Yearly bonus and raises as well. Great company
I believe they got 3rd best company in the world to work for.
As well got the best contact center 2006 award.
Located just off of 32nd avenue and deerfoot.

:D

ianmcc
01-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Sears warehouse is hiring for all shifts; $13.50 to start, $.60 shift differential for afternoons, $.80 for nights. All that is required is a size 2 head and a size 10 neck! Lotsa walking, lifting, loading trailers that kinda thing but easy job if you listen and work hard-no slackasses, I have enough on my shift already!!! PM me for more details-I am a Team Lead on the 2:30-11:00 shift.

wiggaplz
01-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by IhateDomestic
there's billions of dollars flowing in and out of economy today

there is no quick buck you can make, if you work for it innovatively-you can find it.

perhaps think about creating your own occupation and become self-reliant instead of working for others?

no one will come up to you and just offer you a $15/hr off the bat, what makes you so special?

i fucking hate people who complain about money yet, perhaps they aren't ones who deserve to have it.

tons of kids your age piss me off, no effort of using your own mind or taking self initiative. if you want more money than what your employer gives you-well here's news! its a free market economy out there, we're not living in a world of communism.

go out there and find your own fucking money. truth hurts doesn't it?

and if you have no creative mind to find a way, how about you go work hard to get money like the other thousands of immigrants working their ass off not complaining and receiving a $7-9 /hr wage

:whipped: :banghead:
lol @ this keyboard warrior internet tough guy....settle the fuck down.

You don't know me so don't assume a bunchof shit you know nothing about, I was on the phone for 6 straight days from when I woke up until about 2 calling companies and employers.

take a step back from the keyboard and get a little sunlight.

JordanAndrew
01-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Where are you located in the city? My work is always looking for servers cuz they are still understaffed. It's located in the NW, you'll easily get your $15/hr with the tips we make. That's pretty much bare minimum that I make AFTER tax. It's very flexible with school as well, I've been working there for almost 2 years now.

PM me for the name and location of the restaurant if you're interested. I don't want to just tell everyone where I work here.

pyar_deewane
01-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Whitetiger

I'd say that is a very irrational and dumb statement....without immigrants there would be no jobs....why....cuz foreign companies would not invest time and money in a small population...oh and by the way pretty much all of Canadians are immigrants in some way :rolleyes:

death_rabbits
01-18-2007, 05:40 PM
over my university career i'd say the best student jobs are as promotional reps, and as a servers. as a promo rep, i worked for $15/hr as a lexmark rep selling printers, and for molson making $12/hr stacking beer into pyramids at liquor stores. easy job, good money, and u get tons of free stuff. as a server i was making $12-20/hr after tips, and the later hours were good so i had time to do school before work.

i also did the call center thing like someone previously mentioned in this thread. the pros are extremely flexible shifts as u sign up for the shifts u want a week in advance, and the money is decent, and u do meet a lot of people if ur in a big call center, but the job itself is hell. by the end i was actually trying everything i could to get fired including purposely showing up late, acting like an asshole to my team leaders, and making a game out of how long i could go without working before i got in trouble. i guess that's another pro, they're so terribly run, there's a lot of room to abuse the system, and it's pretty hard to get fired because they always need people. i'd only reccomend it as an in between job until u can find something better.

death_rabbits
01-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Whitetiger

ya, thats a pretty stupid statement man. the only place in north america this is true is in the southern states, and thats because of undocumented workers sneaking into the country. in canada, our economic future is dependent on a inflow of immigration because our birthrates are too low to support the increasing demand for labor. immigrants are actually generating value for our economy. increasing value = more jobs = higher pay. you are a dumb person.

Whitetiger
01-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Why don't you move to Toronto jackass, where hard working labours aren't making dick all.

It's a one-liner statement that wasn't really elaborated that's all. This arguement goes both ways, period.

"You're a dumb person" for not knowing how to write properly, like capitalizing when you start a sentence. This crap can go on forever.

TrevorK
01-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by IhateDomestic

Where the hell do you live?

I make much more than 15/hour at my part time job, and do little work. We even have a guy here who works at Tim Horton's on the weekends for $15/hour as a baker.

I've been offerred several jobs for 14-17/hour that require little skill. All they need are dependable workers, that's the most valueable commodity.

Now, I'm in Edmonton. But I can't believe that Calgary would be worse off than us?

B20EF
01-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by TrevorK

Where the hell do you live?

I make much more than 15/hour at my part time job, and do little work. We even have a guy here who works at Tim Horton's on the weekends for $15/hour as a baker.

I've been offerred several jobs for 14-17/hour that require little skill. All they need are dependable workers, that's the most valueable commodity.

Now, I'm in Edmonton. But I can't believe that Calgary would be worse off than us?

Yah it's the same here, I worked at a company called Nascor last summer. It's a labour job, no knowledge or skill required, they were exstatic I would start for $13.50/hour plus you get building bonuses of up to $200 a day, everyday. If you show up at noon, you can probably start on the 3pm shift

wiggaplz
01-30-2007, 12:50 PM
bump

1RaZoR1
01-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Go apply as a banquet server at the downtown Marriott. You will get flex hours and i think they start you out at 15 buck plus discounts when travelling.