PDA

View Full Version : Gondola Pizza

nonlinear
01-15-2007, 12:32 PM
I've been told Gondola has dope-ass, thin, square cut pizza.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good location to try. I was reseraching the company about a year ago (i'm a pizza freak), and it appears as though Gondola is really a franchise operation, and the quality and the product varies from location to location.

I know of two locations:

1) centre street and 20th ave NW. This place is run by the CURRY NAZI so I won't try this onw.

2) Northmount and Brisbois NW. This place looks like one of those ghetto arab "A A A A Super Chicago Deep Dish" "Large for $6.99" joints. I'm sorry, but I can get this cheap ass shit in the strip mall behind my house.

I think there is a location in the SW and maybe one in the NE. Can anyone give info on these locations? Do they have dining rooms, or take out only?

benyl
01-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Drove by the SW location a couple of weeks ago and it looked like it was shut down.

Kona9
01-15-2007, 12:41 PM
We always order from the 26th ave SW location. 242-4432 I believe. Always get the two topping special.
Two mediums, feta and pineapple, and pepperoni Mushroom. 23 bucks + tip for delivery.

sputnik
01-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Gondola is a good Winnipeg-style thin crust. Its pretty good. It was the first pizza my dad ever had in the early 60s. Before then pizza wasnt too common.

In Winnipeg "Pizza Place" is still better than Gondola for thin crust pizza.

nonlinear
01-15-2007, 01:47 PM
right on, that sounds like exactly what i've been looking for.

i was born and raised in minneapolis, and in the midwest we have a thin crust, square cut pizza that is common all over the midwest. I bet it's the same stuff they have in winnipeg. i'm gonna have to try it this week.

still looking for locations (preferablly with a dining room)

nonlinear
01-20-2007, 08:24 PM
we just finished eating some Gondola pizza. we went to the SW location on 26 ave and 33 st. the place looks kinda shady from the outside. it's in a ghetto strip mall and is basically just a shabby, dark, strange looking room with a stained loveseat and a counter. actually it looks like some kind of trashy massage parlor.

anyhow, we got our pie and took it home and it was damn good. i think it's my favorite pizza in calgary (and I'm a pizza freak). it's basically a midwestern-style thin crust cut into squares rather than slices. the pizza wasn't perfect for my taste, and i could've used more sauce and maybe a bit less cheese, but these are things that can be ordered special next time i go. the prices are about twice what you would pay at an arab "2 for 1" craphole, but the quality is 394786328746237423 times better. i would highly recommend this place to anyone.

they also have a website with the menu, prices, and specials:
www.gondolapizza.biz

I haven't tried any of the other locations. I especially want to check out the one on northmount, because i live right near there. it seems that these are all franchises and each is different. the one on northmount looks like a ghetto arab place (massive neon $7.99 large sign in window), so i'm a bit hesitant.

http://gondolapizza.biz/common/layout_images/top.jpg

Strider
01-21-2007, 04:26 AM
Definitely give the northmount one a try... I know the people that own it, and it's not a ghetto arab place.

My GF's family used to own the NE one (in rundle), and it was great.... iono about the quality now.

Whitetiger
01-21-2007, 04:44 AM
:drool: pizza

3G
01-21-2007, 11:53 AM
cpu > all :D :drool:

hussein
01-21-2007, 12:03 PM
What is cpu?

3G
01-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by hussein
What is cpu?

canadian pizza unlimited

its on the corner of memorial drive and 52 st

nonlinear
01-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Strider
Definitely give the northmount one a try... I know the people that own it, and it's not a ghetto arab place.

My GF's family used to own the NE one (in rundle), and it was great.... iono about the quality now.

is it thin and square cut, like the rest of the gondolas?

nonlinear
01-21-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by 3G
cpu > all :D :drool:

CPU sucks. they use frozen dough balls that are shipped in from a factory, the meat is about as low grade as it can get, and the cheese is not real but rather fake processed cheese food. how do you think they can sling a large pizza for $7.99?

anyone that likes this shit has obviously never had decent pizza.

ogpog
01-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

CPU sucks. they use frozen dough balls that are shipped in from a factory, the meat is about as low grade as it can get, and the cheese is not real but rather fake processed cheese food. how do you think they can sling a large pizza for $7.99?

My buddy who actually works there says that is incorrect.

M_K_3
01-21-2007, 01:17 PM
monas pizza :drool:

dino_martini
01-21-2007, 01:20 PM
For thin crust I like Toms House Of Pizza, its a round pizza though. May'be ill have to check out this Gondola Pizza, the one on 33 street is close.

Strider
01-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

is it thin and square cut, like the rest of the gondolas?

Yup...

I was under the impression that all gondolas sold thin crust pizza:dunno: The Large is square cut, small and medium in wedges.

nonlinear
01-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Strider

Yup...

I was under the impression that all gondolas sold thin crust pizza:dunno: The Large is square cut, small and medium in wedges.

well, each is a franchise so they *could* vary. I just thought the one on northmount just used the name, because i've driven by there many times and their windows are full of neon signs saying "2 for 1" and "$7.99 large" etc., so i assumed it was just a crap place selling shit made from frozen doughballs and fake processed cheese food. I also think i've called there before, and it didn't sound legit so i never ordered. but maybe i'll have to check it out again.