PDA

View Full Version : buying a suit

jharp
01-15-2007, 08:20 PM
i have recently graduated from school and i now need to get a few suits for work, but i have never bought one beofre and i have no idea where to look.
i would prefer to have nice suit(s), but i dont want to spend much money, well at least as little as possible for something decent.
any suggestions?

thanks very much

Ben
01-15-2007, 08:25 PM
How much is "much money".

You can spend 200 or 5000.

You can tell a "Cheap" suit from a "Nice" Suit.

If you want a few suits, budget a couple grand to be on the "Inexpensive but still decent" side.

Until we know more info I dont know what to suggest. Where are they going to be worn? What do you do? Whats the office environment?

No matter what tho, everyone needs at least ONE NICE black suit.

Depending on your body type you can score great deals on "last season" fashions at Holt, Harry Rosen, Henry Singer, for a pretty decent discount (Hugo Boss for around 600ish) but again, depends on your body type and if you need a massive amount of alterations.

jaysas_63
01-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Go to tip-top or britches.....you'll be able to find some great suits for well under 500.

most people can't tell a zegna from a bosa.

as long as you buy a suit that FITS YOU well, has a nice cut, and you are able to dress it up nicely with a good tie, and dress shirt, you are well in the clear.

don't bother going to holt or singer. its probably going to be out of your budget unless you shop in there sale time, when you have a shitty selection of sizes, and styles.

adamc
01-15-2007, 11:12 PM
buy whatever is decent off the rack, and have it tailored to your body, makes a worrrrrrld of difference

jumperman8
01-15-2007, 11:14 PM
go to pinestripes in TD, not bad suits, and are pretty cheap.

adam c
01-15-2007, 11:23 PM
i buy mine from tip-top

i bought one yesterday for ~190 and it looks good too.. its being tailored and i pick it up friday
dont need to spend big bucks on a suit but also u get what u pay for when u buy cheap

make sure u get a suit that has measurements not sizes
ie. my suits and blazers depending on where i buy range from 40S to 44S
i prefer S (short) to R(regular) just for a better fit and cause im only 5'9"

C4S
01-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Any chance u will travel soon?
Like going to USA or Europe? If you will, then buy a nice suit there ..

:)

Crymson
01-15-2007, 11:35 PM
A decent suit will always cost as much as an ounce of gold.

Smokem
01-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Look for a good material, try to avoid polyester, look for high quality wool. The good suits feel real comfortable, can't really describe the feeling, but it is light on you and doesnt feel like you are wearing a heavy suit, especially the jacket.

Find a salesperson who is willing to be helpful and is knowledgeable, you'll be surprised to find out how many tools don't know if something fits you properly. The real big areas of note are the chest and cuffs... the rest of the suit should fall into place (shoulders, armpits, length).

Get one single breasted, another double breasted, and I agree one should be black. I'd say the other should be dark grey or navy. I like pinstripes myself.

I personally like the suits with vents ("cuts" on the back so when you sit down it doesnt mess up as easily). Either single or double vents, my preference is double vent. Makes a suit look twice as expensive IMO.

White/light blue colored shirts are the norm for business dress (investment bankers, etc.), stripes and a light stitched pattern is acceptable... you can wear other colors depending on what others around the office wear.

Cufflink shirts are :bigpimp:

As for your tie, power colors are nice (think Trump), but to be conservative, dark colors with nice patterns work well too.

Also buy nice shoes, with leather soles. I like Bostonians, you can find a good pair of them for ~$100.

Keep your suit/shirts crisp, dry clean them at least once every dozen wears, do not wash, YMMV though.

Do NOT go to Brogue/International Clothiers, all their stuff is made of polyester as far as I know. Tip Top, Jack Frasier, Moores, Bay and Sears are a good start. There's a retailer in Market Mall that is near the Bay, forgot their name though. Henry Singer and Harry Rosen are high end retailers, there are many multimillionaires in my office and their suits are Moores at best. SHOP AROUND, it helps.

If you can figure out your measurements, ebay merchants sell the same suits for a far less markup.

And for God sakes stay away from elbow patches!

Hope this helps.

Police
01-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Smokem

And for God sakes stay away from elbow patches!

Celica TVS3
01-16-2007, 12:08 AM
Suits:
Make sure your buy a 100% wool suit.

Start yourself off with a dark navy suit. It's the most versitile and you can wear it anywhere. If you're going to drop money on one suit over the others put it into your navy suit.

I would buy a charcoal suit before black. (Black tends to be more formal)

When you go shopping for one bring someone who knows something about suits and how they should fit in the shoulders/back/length...

Have it tailored - more than just taking up/down the sleevs.

Get a three button / two single breast suit with flat front pants. (Unless you're heavy then look into pleated pants)

I personally like jackets w/ double vents, but really single or no vent jackets are also okay.

Shoes:
Buy nice dress shoes, I happen to like Allen Edmonds (it's pretty tough to go wrong with any of their shoes) You can get great deals on them from ebay. What Harry Rosen sells for 300-400 you can buy on ebay for less than 150 to your house. That may sound steep but a nice pair of shoes canl last forever if you take care of them. Once you compleatly wear them out you can have them taken apart and rebuilt by the manufacter for $90.

Belt:
Just get a plain belt the same colour as your shoes.

Ties:
Get decent woven silk ties with some texture to them - not just flat printed silk. My personal fav. happens to be Canali. Again - look on ebay, about 1/2 - 1/4 of the price.

Shirts:
You don't have to spend a mint to get a nice shirt. Just make sure it fits properly. The sholder seems should end at your shoulders, be sure sleeves are long, and it should bunch up too much around your waste. Stay away from button-down collars (ones with buttons), I like a slightly spread collar. You can get nice shirts under the brand name JP Tilford at Harry Rosen on sale for about $60 or Holt Renfrew's house brand for under $100.

Socks:
Should match your pants.

I would start by looking at The Bay for the suit and shirts. Maybe check out Harry Rosen / Holt Renfrew to see what they have on sale for shirts. Ebay for shoes, ties, belts. Walmart for socks.

I was in the same boat as yourself not to long ago.

Mr. Burns
01-16-2007, 12:10 AM
I have found good deals at Grafton & Co. in the past. It is worth a look for sure.

adam c
01-16-2007, 12:16 AM
wheres a reasonably decent place to get some nice dress shoes without spending an arm and leg?

only "reasonable" place i can really think of is aldo

szw
01-16-2007, 12:26 AM
If you have access to a H&M I like their cheap suits. Roughly $300 and for a cheap suit they look good and are surprisingly well made with modern (slim) cuts.

Lex350
01-16-2007, 12:47 AM
I've had luck with some name brands at the Bay when they go on sale. As with what everybody else has said. Make sure it fits!!!!!

Buy 100% wool and you should be alright. Coming out of school you don't need to spend big money on a suit. If you hit the sales you can get a decent suit for $350-$600.

Depending on your body type, you might want to consider getting some nice shirts fitted for you. Most of the time you end up taking off the suit jacket and a crappy shirt shows even more. Have the shirts drcleaned. (it only costs a couple of bucks) instead of washing them and they will last longer.

I used to buy my suits at Harry Rosen and Thomas Jeffery but honestly they weren't worth the extra money.

Gondi Stylez
01-16-2007, 12:52 AM
I can only assume that your preferred budget is out of reach for stores like Henry Singer etc. so I would suggest you go to Grafton and Co. in TD. You will find excellent, well made suits for a very reasonable price. Once you have owned a few suits then buy a higher end suit and from their the decisions are endless. I prefer Hugo and some of my friends prefer the same. Although Donna Karen has made some beauty suits - albeit far and few between!

Smokem
01-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, Henry Singer comes out with their fashion line magazine once every season or so. You should try to get a hold of one of them and try to emulate one of the looks you like by shopping at other stores. Either that or have one of them dress you up, then shop for a similar look. Just don't fall into the brand name trap.

To start, I would budget $500/outfit, ie. suit - shirt - tie - belt - socks - shoes. If you're good you can probably sneak in a few more shirts and ties in there. As soon as I graduated I bought two suits, it was really a good feeling, especially considering the track pants, jeans and sneakers we used to wear while in university.

One more thing, this is entirely debatable and personal preference, but I never knew how much difference a tie clip/matching cufflinks makes until everyone at a Christmas party dinner table complimented me on them. If you run into Winners at the right time, you can get some seriously nice cufflink shirts for under $30. Bought one for $11 over Boxing Week. Reason they are so cheap? You need cufflinks to wear them. AGAIN personal preference.

And keep those shoes shiny. As expensive as they are, they will look like piss poor shit if they're not polished/maintained.

jharp
01-16-2007, 07:34 AM
wow, thank you very much to everyone for all this great advise. this is starting to make a lot more sense.
i really appreciate it.

sCream
01-16-2007, 07:53 AM
You dont have to buy the suits that they show here, theyre all (1500+), but use this as a general guideline when buying suits.

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/landing?id=content_4800

kerry
01-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Okay...

Get more than just BLACK and Pinstripe. That means get at least
one Grey suit, and one Beige one. Yes you will wear them, yes
they're nice and fashionable. Beige especially in the summer, gives
you that classy, but summer time feel.

If you do opt for less expensive suits, MAKE SURE to get them tailored
for YOU. That doesn't just mean bringing up the pants either. That
means getting them FITTED for your body. This is important. You'll
look like a dick if you don't.

Shirts... for god sake please don't have a million pink shirts.
Bring a fashionable girl shopping for this one if you have no clue.
Get a few solids, a few with patterns like a striped pattern or something.
Just stuff you can mix and match.

ie: A light blue shirt with a lighter goldish tie will look good with that
beige suit. Change the tie... you can wear it with your pinstriped suit.

Ties, "power ties" are in still. Something with a striped pattern is
easy beacuse they usually have more than one colour so you can
wear them with different shirts without looking like a fool.
Remember... mix and match if you're on a budget.

If you go with a striped tie, learn how to line up the stripes please.

Do this:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/products/mt/NMM00G4_mt.jpg

INSTEAD OF THIS:

http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb300V/20060503/5f9e543e-a1e1-47ed-a018-165317dc4666.jpg

Notice how the stripes are lined up. If you do it, it'll show that you care
about how you present yourself to others. That and, sadly, girls notice
things like this.

And shoes, get at least one pair of black and one pair of brownish.
Lighter brownish. Get a matching belt for both.
The light brown shoes you can wear with the grey suit as well as the
beige one and the black will go with basically anything...

Black shoes also are great for casual fridays, because you can still
look "classier" with nice Jeans and a dress shirt.

In the end you want to stand out from the crowd, but you don't want
to be screaming like something out of the ETRO catalogue.

GL!

89coupe
01-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Ties are taboo. Suites are for lawyers...LOL...dry and stuffy.

Sport jacket, a nice shirt and pant is the new look now. No tie.

b_t
01-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

You still need the nice suit for your job interviews and meetings with bigwigs though.

89coupe
01-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by b_t

You still need the nice suit for your job interviews and meetings with bigwigs though.

Why?

b_t
01-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Dress to impress
Dress for success

You know. You don't need one every day but if you are wrapping up a project or are starting up a new one and you are meeting with your boss's boss or something, they will notice the small things like your nice suit because they otherwise know nothing about you.

adamc
01-16-2007, 12:33 PM
good tip on the stripes lining up on the tie.

superman1
01-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Go to the Bay downtown lots of cheap suits

Lex350
01-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by b_t
Dress to impress
Dress for success

You know. You don't need one every day but if you are wrapping up a project or are starting up a new one and you are meeting with your boss's boss or something, they will notice the small things like your nice suit because they otherwise know nothing about you.

It really depends on your industry and job function as to if you need the suit thing. Dress for the expectations in the field.

jharp
01-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks very much to everyone. this has helped me out tremendously. i will let you guys know what i go with this weekend.
i am also wondering about a sport coat now. i really like the look, but i am somewhat confused as to an appropriot time to wear on, and what to wear with it.
if anyone has any knowledge about this, can you please help me out?
thanks again,
jharp

D. Dub
01-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Moores is great bang for the buck. Excellent quality and good prices.

I actually know that the CEO's of a few major bigass companies buy from Moores.

Pacman
01-20-2007, 12:31 PM
I used to buy Hugo Boss, Zegna and Strellson suits (at a very big discount as I worked at a high end clothing store) for many years...now I get my suits custom made by the Hong Kong tailors that fly into Calgary twice a year. THey usually rent out a room at the Westin for a week and set up shop there.

The fit is impeccable and the quality is probably better than the Zegna suits I used to wear.

You can usually get a nice suit and 3 custom dress shirts for $550 or so.

There were just here in November...so they should be coming back out in May or June....

http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

TrevorK
01-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Ben
No matter what tho, everyone needs at least ONE NICE black suit.

This only seems like an extremely ignorant statement.

pinoyhero
01-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Whats your budget?

EK 2.0
01-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Brad is correct...(wow I have never said that before hahaha kidding man)

But a suit is still a nice idea to have. Ties are played out...make sure you have space under your blazer for perhaps a lighter sweater...a sweater vest. That way during the day at work you can interchange layers...and being able to match more items with one or two suits fo sho gives you a myriad of looks.

jharp
01-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Whats your budget?

well for the time being i would like to spend as little as possible to get the job done. i would prefer to keep it below say $300 a suit if possible.

jharp
01-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Brad is correct...(wow I have never said that before hahaha kidding man)

But a suit is still a nice idea to have. Ties are played out...make sure you have space under your blazer for perhaps a lighter sweater...a sweater vest. That way during the day at work you can interchange layers...and being able to match more items with one or two suits fo sho gives you a myriad of looks.
i was thinking about this today, but i am confused as to what sport coats go with what pants?
i would imagine that the pants should not be the same color as the suit so that it doesnt look like i am trying make them match, but does that mean that i wear kakis (sp?) or still dress pants? or am i just way off the mark here?
thanks again for everyones valuable input and advice.

l/l/rX
01-21-2007, 11:48 PM
what kind of pockets do you guys prefer? flapped pockets? slanted flapped pockets? no flap pockets?

im asking through a style point of view.
or is it just personal preference?

bigboom
01-22-2007, 10:56 AM
go to harry rosen this week, they have a made to measure event going on where they custom make a suit out of the material that you pick, they start at about 795.

adamc
08-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Maxwells will be here in November, for all that are interested.

Kritafo
08-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Harry Rosen is over priced crap. Go have a custom suit made.

Make sure when you dry clean you dry clean both pieces or the pants and the jacket will fade differently. I know...my father wore high end suits and custom suits my entire life. I have seen suits ruined by just having the pants dry cleaned.

Moores will do in a pinch. Tip Top stuff will fall apart more quickly.

I always like a good Navy suit as well, but don't forget to wear appropriate shirt, tie, shoes and belts. Get a good haircut and spend some money on a good razor. Better over dressed than under dressed. Dry clean your shirt, if you can't afford to do it every time do it every other time. Your shirts will last longer. Learn to tie a proper tie.

You can make a $100.00 suit look like a million bucks if it is properly tailored, with proper accessories.

If you can hold out and go in Nov get yourself a suit made, you will never regret it.

Rav4Guy
08-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by jharp
i have recently graduated from school and i now need to get a few suits for work, but i have never bought one beofre and i have no idea where to look.
i would prefer to have nice suit(s), but i dont want to spend much money, well at least as little as possible for something decent.
any suggestions?

thanks very much

Main question: What are you going to use the suit for?

I have 4 suits, two of them off the rack and two of them custom made. I absolutely will not buy another off the rack suit. You can spend as little as 69.99 from International vs. couple thousands. It all depends on what you want it for. If you want it to do weddings, Moores or something similar will do. If you want it in a business setting 5 days a week.. trust me, spend a little more.

Mixalot27
08-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
Moores is great bang for the buck. Excellent quality and good prices.

I actually know that the CEO's of a few major bigass companies buy from Moores.

+1 for Moores. Thats where I'd go if I was worried about Budget. I've always had good service there as well.

sexualbanana
08-17-2007, 11:44 PM
It is time I share my bible.

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/gqrules

Kritafo
08-23-2007, 06:13 AM
they have two piece suits at Costco right now for 249.00 Until sept 2 I believe.

malbadon
08-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Costco sells suits?
You have totally blown my mind.

20 gallons of pickles, 50 pounds of kitty litter and a suit.
Will wonders never cease :)

Kritafo
08-24-2007, 12:19 PM
it's one of the travelling booths that come to costco.

they also have a locker organizer thing there right now.

FatalError
08-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
Make sure when you dry clean you dry clean both pieces or the pants and the jacket will fade differently. I know...my father wore high end suits and custom suits my entire life. I have seen suits ruined by just having the pants dry cleaned.

I disagree. I rarely dry clean my suit jackets because I don't want them ruined, and that's precisely what dry cleaning will do.

ZorroAMG
08-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Whoever said suits are played out gave you the WRONG info. That whole sport coat, no tie different color pants makes you look like a golfing underling dad. Most people will NEVER put an appealing outfit together that way.

Oh and lining up the stripes on a tie?? That's more OCD than caring about your appearance. You may need to see someone for meds LMAO

Two quotes to remember:

"Dress like the job you WANT, not the job you have."

"Dress like your boss' boss."

Style is all about putting an outfit together that looks like YOU and makes you feel confident. If buying off the rack at moores etc and those lower end places gets you there, great! That's all that counts! You will RARELY get the look, fit and certainly not the quality of custom or higher-end stuff...but does that matter to you?

I have Dolce & Gabana, Boss, and Armani Colezioni suits, but I also have Zara....Use your head and taste (or flip through a GQ or 2 to replicate if your taste is suspect :D)

ZorroAMG
08-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by FatalError

I disagree. I rarely dry clean my suit jackets because I don't want them ruined, and that's precisely what dry cleaning will do.

You are confused. You not wanting your jacket ruined and even fade are two different things.

Drycleaning a suit unevenly or separately WILL cause fade/wear differences. Period.

Darkane
08-24-2007, 06:02 PM
No one mentioned Mexx? Some alright suits at good prices. Moores FTW though, On a budget of course.

sexualbanana
08-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
No one mentioned Mexx? Some alright suits at good prices. Moores FTW though, On a budget of course.

Really gotta check the quality though. When I worked at Mexx I saw suits of all qualities. Some good, some REAL bad. Check the stitching on the shoulders, that's where I primarily saw the worst construction

Mr_John
01-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
I used to buy Hugo Boss, Zegna and Strellson suits (at a very big discount as I worked at a high end clothing store) for many years...now I get my suits custom made by the Hong Kong tailors that fly into Calgary twice a year. THey usually rent out a room at the Westin for a week and set up shop there.

You can usually get a nice suit and 3 custom dress shirts for $550 or so.
/[/url]

Are there any other places that can make custom suits? I've also just graduated and would like to buy a suit for interviews and an upcoming wedding ASAP. I've budgeted myself for an upper-scale suit but I would definitely like to spend less if possible.

I've looked at Zara and Mexx but I just did not like their style very much - they didnt have the color I wanted and if they did then the back of the coat was not nice (I like the 2 slits at the bottom of the back instead of one - not sure the proper term for that is)

I'm a smaller guy so definitely I'll need it tailored. I plan on looking at Holt soon because of their sale - should I even bother? Has anyone found a good priced suit there at the sale?

seadog
01-26-2008, 11:55 AM
I was in the exact same position as you 2 years ago. Shopped around, talked to salesmen at about 4 different places, and eventually settled for one of the nicer suits at Moores. Really good service, and fair prices. Already had a so-so navy one so went with a nice black one. Used it for interviews, weddings etc, probably worn it about a dozen times since I got it. I've been complimented on it, and the material i first rate.

No disrespect to people who choose to go that path, but I think spending more that about $500 on a suit is a waste. Properly fit, and with quality accessories you are set. Personally when I see someone dressed to the gills I find it comes off as try-hard, and about the mental masturbation of knowing that for the price of your suit you could have fed an African family for a year...

On a related side note 'The Millionaire Next Door' is a great book about the profile/lifestyle of the average millionaire. The price the average millionaire spent was $400 for their most expensive suit. Reason being that the typical person who you'd think has money actually doesn't because they spend it all on $3000 suits (and luxury cars, boats etc) and the people who actually accumulate money don't. While you want to dress to impress, theres no need to go overboard.

rmk
01-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Hit up Moores. I had a great experience from the Deerfoot Meadows location in December. Inititally budgeted around 200-300 for a suit but ended up paying twice that in the end. It was for a Christmas party at a respected o&g co., and it was one of the best suits there.

They do have cheaper suits and will look after you.

adamc
01-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Supreme menswear downtown.

Just got my latest suit there, and it was a great buying experience.

I had one of their house label suits tailored just a tiny bit, and it fits like I was the only one meant to wear it.

High fashion 1 button, super 120s wool, peak lapel, super slim cut suit. I adore it.

They will get you in to a completely custom, made to measure suit starting at $1200 or so.

adamc
01-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Also on the "no need to go overboard" comment:

Sometimes it's not a matter of trying to impress anyone, but rather a personal desire for quality.

Like there is really no need to buy a 60" plasma, when your 30" flat tube crt "looks good enough".

It can turn in to a nice little hobby, knowing the range of fit and finish options available on high end clothing, especially when you get in to true "bespoke" suits that are custom made using 50+ measurements of your individual body and take months to complete.

Maddog55
01-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by adamc

Just got my latest suit there, and it was a great buying experience.

I had one of their house label suits tailored just a tiny bit, and it fits like I was the only one meant to wear it.

High fashion 1 button, super 120s wool, peak lapel, super slim cut suit. I adore it.

They will get you in to a completely custom, made to measure suit starting at $1200 or so.

Niiiiiice!!! That's a damn fine suit, Adam!!

I love a good suit. Back in the day, my Dad used to buy nothing BUT tailor-made suits. I've had a number of good suits...double-breasted, 3 piece, etc. Nothing like a good tailor that knows how to measure properly too.

If you've never experience it...you just don't know what its like walking into a place when you're wearing a $2,000 suit, nice shoes, silk tie....The confidence it gives you...

ZorroAMG
01-27-2008, 03:03 AM
I agree with Maddog. When I put on my Dolce 3 piece 1 button, I feel like a million bucks and rather unstoppable!

My next tailored suit will have working cuff buttons on the jacket. They are for the win.

ricefarmer
01-27-2008, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I agree with Maddog. When I put on my Dolce 3 piece 1 button, I feel like a million bucks and rather unstoppable!

My next tailored suit will have working cuff buttons on the jacket. They are for the win.

surgeon cuffs:thumbsup:

btw if anyone is heading down to Rosen's, pm me

Quinsonaaa
01-27-2008, 04:42 AM
go to winners to buy some cheap stuff. you can mix and match there because they got alot of selection on ties and shirts:thumbsup:

Mr_John
01-28-2008, 05:44 PM

So I've decided to go custom. Does anyone have any good spots to get their suits done?
I was at Harry Rosen's last week and they suggested I go custom if I'm in no rush to do so. Their custom suits start at 800-1200 bucks. They showed me the quality and colors that they'd use and it looked and felt very nice.

But just looking for other options on there. Anyone else have a favorite local place?

sexualbanana
01-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Been looking at buying a suit, but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. As for dress shirts, I usually budget about $100 a shirt. You can get a decent quality dress shirt at Tip Top and Moores, but since I've got a bit of an awkward build for my size (skinny, but slightly larger chest for someone my size), I get the shirts tailored which tend to cost an extra $30.

rc2002
01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
I think custom suits are hit and miss. I have a custom suit and it doesn't fit me as well as a altered suit off the rack.

I would try on a bunch of different suits and find one that fits 95%. Then get the rest custom tailored.

Lex350
01-28-2008, 06:27 PM
I've been going to Moore's now. I've gotten great service. I pay to have everything tailored properly. Honestly, the suit doesn;t have to last more than 3 years because styles change.

sexualbanana
01-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by TrevorK

This only seems like an extremely ignorant statement.

Why? Black is classic and never goes out of style.

They say there are 3 suit colours that you should have. Black, navy blue, and grey (I think it's grey). All 3 colours can be worn at any time for just about any occasion.

bigboom
01-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I think custom suits are hit and miss. I have a custom suit and it doesn't fit me as well as a altered suit off the rack.

I would try on a bunch of different suits and find one that fits 95%. Then get the rest custom tailored.

you must have got one made by someone that didnt know what they were doing. if you get a proper fitter and tailor a custom fit suit will always fit better but make sure they know what they are doing. harry rosen usually has a made to measure event and they do a really good job.

and just a heads up hugo boss suits are crap, they look nice but they will not last.

finboy
01-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Use your head and taste (or flip through a GQ or 2 to replicate if your taste is suspect :D)

:werd:

also...
http://www.amazon.com/Top-Toe-Comprehensive-Grooming-Modern/dp/0760781656
has some decent tips in it

also, learn to iron, wrinkled dress clothes FTL

adamc
01-28-2008, 07:18 PM
http://i32.tinypic.com/5v59o4.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/i4jyhc.jpg

Me in my new 1 button made to measure, fits like a dream.
Peep the ultra slim royal purple silk tie, and sterling silver tie bar.

Don't cop my steez!

:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
01-28-2008, 07:29 PM
ditch the tie clip and you're good to go!

finboy
01-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Don't cop my steez!

:thumbsup:

nice :thumbsup:

where is everyone going in town for a higher end shoe?

CLiVE
01-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by finboy

where is everyone going in town for a higher end shoe?

I buy most of my shoes from Dack's in Bow Valley Square.
Worth checking out. Otherwise just stick with Johnston Murphy shoes which you can often find online from johnstonmurphy.com for a fraction of what they sell for in stores in Calgary ($250 - $500)

I agree with a lot of the advice in this thread...but, for the sake of the author of this thread I think we should be a little more realistic.

When I finished university I went out and purchased 2 suits. 1 Grey, and 1 navy for job interviews. They were inexpensive from tip top, but had them tailored so they fit well. These will do until you get a job and a pay check and have more money to spend on work clothes. I'm not sure what industry you'll be working in, but I doubt you'll be required to wear a suit on a daily basis.

The favorite suit I own is still my tailored Christian Dior black suit. Cost way too much, and way to formal for most occasions, but the most :bigpimp: suit.

ZorroAMG
01-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Ditch the tie clip? Nah, it's great like that! Rock what you love, dude, nice job!

Godfuader
01-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Why? Black is classic and never goes out of style.

They say there are 3 suit colours that you should have. Black, navy blue, and grey (I think it's grey). All 3 colours can be worn at any time for just about any occasion.

Thats a safe bet for 3. For 5 I would go with: (in order of importance)
1) Navy striped
2) Grey
3) A solid that works for you (Dark green, navy, etc)
4) Khaki / Sand / Camel colored for daytime
5) Casual Black 1 or 2 button
*Never double breast, and always have proper shoulder fitting.

CLiVE
01-28-2008, 08:46 PM

a slim tie....but IMO learn to tie different knots that suit different collar styles.

Also here are some good tips for job interview dress, and different knots. http://www.tie-a-tie.net/dress.html

finboy
01-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE

I buy most of my shoes from Dack's in Bow Valley Square.
Worth checking out. Otherwise just stick with Johnston Murphy shoes which you can often find online from johnstonmurphy.com for a fraction of what they sell for in stores in Calgary ($250 - $500)

been to dack's, pricey but i did see some nice stuff in there, thanks for the heads up on the site :thumbsup:

CLiVE
01-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by finboy

been to dack's, pricey but i did see some nice stuff in there, thanks for the heads up on the site :thumbsup:

Johnston Murphy's at Dacks will run upwards of $400. You can often grab them on closeout from the website for $100- $150US.

ZorroAMG
01-29-2008, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

*Never double breast, and always have proper shoulder fitting.

Whaaaat? Where have you been, stuck in 1999 fashion? Proper double breasted FOR THE WINZ.

http://www.gqmag.com.tw/special/SP00068/images/030.jpg

http://www.mensusa.com/images/thumbnail/image473.jpg

Those are PIMP, unlike the stereotypical late 80's Borat suits that gave the tight DB a bad name...

http://www.laserfit.com.au/images/Doublebreat.jpg

I have a Boss new Double Breasted black mini pin that is king.

black_2.5RS
01-29-2008, 04:24 AM
I've got a tonne of my shoes and other things off of eBay. As long as you know what you like and sure of your size, you can get good stuff way cheaper. Obviously the usual caveats apply (buy from a reputable buyer, etc). Just need a bit of patience and some advance planning and it'll work out fine. If you're super paranoid, go to a store and try it on first. Then go find it on eBay, buy and enjoy.

In probably the 50 things i've purchased online (everything from shoes to pants to shirts to gifts for others), i've only had 1 thing go wrong and I was able to return it no problems. That being said, a suit is very particular and not something I would buy online. Ties, shirts, shoes - yes, but probably not a suit.

Ginuwine5
01-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Need some help from the fashionable Beyonders out there...

Looking for a good, yet reasonable suit ($200-$300)..got a friend's wedding coming up, but I needed some help in figuring out whether tailor-made would be the best or a Moores/Tip Top would work.

I am a hockey player, so I have big thighs and a larger- gluteus maximus haha, slighter bigger than my upper body region. I never have trouble finding the sizing for the coat, but the pants are always a problem (proportionally, when matched up with their coat equivalent)...anyone got the same problem or any advice on what to do??

Same goes for jeans, I tend to wear Buffalo and Guess jeans, but haven't had any luck with RnR or Sevens because of the sizing...

Now, you may proceed to laugh at my situation..damn, I wish JLo came out with a mens collection..

sexualbanana
01-29-2008, 03:24 PM

Whaaaat? Where have you been, stuck in 1999 fashion? Proper double breasted FOR THE WINZ.

http://www.gqmag.com.tw/special/SP00068/images/030.jpg

That suit looks way too twisted (could just be because he's walking). Personally, I think you need to have a certain body type for a double-breasted suit. Your upper-torso should big. Like Big Pussy (Sopranos)-build. Big shoulder help too. If you're a skinny guy, I think a double-breasted suit just makes you look like a box, regardless of how well it fits.

Godfuader
01-29-2008, 04:56 PM

That suit looks way too twisted (could just be because he's walking). Personally, I think you need to have a certain body type for a double-breasted suit. Your upper-torso should big. Like Big Pussy (Sopranos)-build. Big shoulder help too. If you're a skinny guy, I think a double-breasted suit just makes you look like a box, regardless of how well it fits.
:werd: Thats what I find too. Double-breasted makes too much of a statement. Very few people can pull it off...the same people who could pull it off a decade ago. I saw a nice Dolce DB suit, but it just does not work well anymore. The other thing that does not work is that you need to have it buttoned all the time. As soon as you try to take it down a notch by opening up a button...it looks messy.

Weapon_R
01-29-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Ginuwine5
Need some help from the fashionable Beyonders out there...

Looking for a good, yet reasonable suit ($200-$300)..got a friend's wedding coming up, but I needed some help in figuring out whether tailor-made would be the best or a Moores/Tip Top would work.

I am a hockey player, so I have big thighs and a larger- gluteus maximus haha, slighter bigger than my upper body region. I never have trouble finding the sizing for the coat, but the pants are always a problem (proportionally, when matched up with their coat equivalent)...anyone got the same problem or any advice on what to do??

You won't find any tailor-made suits for 200-300 dollars. My suggestion to you is to head off to Tiptop, Moores, or even the Bay and get one of their suits on sale. A $200 suit with $100 in tailoring will look much nicer than spending your whole budget on the suit itself. Since it's going to be a one-time occaison, you don't need to go all out on the quality but make sure you get a 3-button suit that fits well. Make sure your sleeves don't go past the end of your wrists...

Suit pants can be widened.

black_2.5RS
01-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

You won't find any tailor-made suits for 200-300 dollars. My suggestion to you is to head off to Tiptop, Moores, or even the Bay and get one of their suits on sale. A $200 suit with $100 in tailoring will look much nicer than spending your whole budget on the suit itself. Since it's going to be a one-time occaison, you don't need to go all out on the quality but make sure you get a 3-button suit that fits well. Make sure your sleeves don't go past the end of your wrists...

Suit pants can be widened.

You may also want to try places like Mexx, Tristan & America and Banana Republic for suits where you can mix and match the tops and bottoms. I know Banana will run a lot more than $2-300 but at least you know it's not $1200 for a custom made and you can get one if you're really in a bind. Banana will run you about $6-800. Mexx and Tristan probably a bit lower.

When you go buy a suit, take someone w/ you since you can't really see your back w/out getting all twisted up. Also, they can tell you if it looks tight even though in some cases, it may feel fine.

pf0sh0
01-29-2008, 05:32 PM
http://video.men.style.com/index.jsp?fr_story=d193285f00e3beffdbe5aec9a86fbd0bab1586a9

check this link out , video about "how to buy a suit" by GQ

Godfuader
01-29-2008, 05:36 PM
^^^Thats what I still do. Pick a couple suits that look good (style/cut/fall) one or ½ size larger and get it tailored for a custom fit. The suit itself looks great if its fitted to your shape.

urban.one
01-29-2008, 08:00 PM
If youre just starting you career and dont make a lot of money stick with lower costs suits. Youre better off getting 3 $500 suits than 1 $1500 suit.

Stick with basic / classic cuts for your first few suits. The one button posted in this thread is slick but if its your only suit then everyone (coworkers, friends, or waitresses you try to impress at the lounge you hang at) will know you wear one suit all the time.
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8166/i4jyhcuc3.th.jpg (http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=i4jyhcuc3.jpg)
If youve already got your basic few suits, then something like the one button might be a nice alternative. Theres also a difference between a business suit, a formal suit, and a casual suit. Get what suits your reason for buying a suit.

Try on a lot of suits. Different brands fit different body types. Samething with 2 button vs. 3 button... some body types look better in one versus the other.

A few other things to consider or make yourself aware of:
-getting alterations done properly is as important as chosing the right suit. The person measuring and marking your suit may be a rookie in the store and the tailor can only do as good of a job as the marking are.
-make sure you have your pants at the proper level. Too many people hike their pants up too high or let them droop too much and then get them tailored accordingly and then they go home and theyre too long or too short when they wear them normally.
-Take a look around the +15 - most guys seem to have pants that are too short. WTF?

[custom-made suits]
A made-to-measure suit isnt really a custom made suit. Its essentially an off-the-rack suit thats modified to your measurements at the factory rather than at the tailors at the store. The factory has all the pieces for the jacket or pants precut into various sizes. When you go buy a mtm suit, they take your measurements and place your order, they will take the precut pieces that are closes to your measurements and cut them further and sew the suit together.

A bespoke suit is a true custom suit. They take your measurments and then cut custom pieces from a single piece of fabric and you get a true custom suit made for you. $$$$$$$$$

ricefarmer
01-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
[custom-made suits]
A made-to-measure suit isnt really a custom made suit. Its essentially an off-the-rack suit thats modified to your measurements at the factory rather than at the tailors at the store. The factory has all the pieces for the jacket or pants precut into various sizes. When you go buy a mtm suit, they take your measurements and place your order, they will take the precut pieces that are closes to your measurements and cut them further and sew the suit together.

A bespoke suit is a true custom suit. They take your measurments and then cut custom pieces from a single piece of fabric and you get a true custom suit made for you. $$$$$$$$$

correct:thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
01-29-2008, 09:35 PM

It IS cause he's walking.

PS big guys don't look good in any clothing, why do you think all models are athletic slim builds? It shows off the clothes the best.

Originally posted by Godfuader

:werd: Thats what I find too. Double-breasted makes too much of a statement. Very few people can pull it off...the same people who could pull it off a decade ago. I saw a nice Dolce DB suit, but it just does not work well anymore. The other thing that does not work is that you need to have it buttoned all the time. As soon as you try to take it down a notch by opening up a button...it looks messy.

I go back to my old quote: dress like your boss' boss. If a db is too much of a statement, it's your personality that makes it not work. a suit should be an expression of who you are. Now, don't go putting a pink tie with a yellow shirt on a navy DB if you work for deloitte and touche, LOL but a power tie in a DB makes the right statement if you are confident enough and if it fits properly. The DB's I posted do, the 80's ones NEVER did.

The buttoned thing is a valid comment, I never unbutton my DB, I take off the jacket or leave it buttoned.

DB FTW.

sexualbanana
01-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by urban.one

-make sure you have your pants at the proper level. Too many people hike their pants up too high or let them droop too much and then get them tailored accordingly and then they go home and theyre too long or too short when they wear them normally.
-Take a look around the +15 - most guys seem to have pants that are too short. WTF?

I don't know what your definition of too short is, but take your height into account as well. I'm short, but if I get pants with only a little break, it makes me look taller.

On the other side of the coin, no should be able to see your socks if you're standing up.

adamc
01-30-2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.douxlondon.co.uk/App_Themes/DouxDef/Images/OurCatalog_15.JPG

Good break.

http://shoeblogs.com/wordpress/images/platformboy.jpg

Bad break.

urban.one
01-30-2008, 07:11 PM
You can get varying degrees of break when you get your pants tailored and it can vary due to personal taste and the style of the pants. But too short is too short - when the back of the pant bottom doest even touch the top of the back of your shoe, then youve got a problem. Take a look next time your walking thru the mall of +15.

me&you
01-31-2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.douxlondon.co.uk/App_Themes/DouxDef/Images/OurCatalog_15.JPG

Good break.

http://shoeblogs.com/wordpress/images/platformboy.jpg

Bad break.

Oh, hiro!

me&you
01-31-2008, 10:51 AM
fucking dp

B17a
01-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Mr_John

So I've decided to go custom. Does anyone have any good spots to get their suits done?
I was at Harry Rosen's last week and they suggested I go custom if I'm in no rush to do so. Their custom suits start at 800-1200 bucks. They showed me the quality and colors that they'd use and it looked and felt very nice.

But just looking for other options on there. Anyone else have a favorite local place?

I get my suits made at Umberto's on 6th ave downtown (between 2nd and 3 street). Great guys, great suits. Expect to spend at least $1000, but it'll be money well spent.