PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work for Kiewit?

mo_money2supe
01-16-2007, 12:47 AM
I've got an interview with them tomorrow and was just wondering if anyone who works for them, or has had an interview with them before, could give me some tips on what questions they may ask or may look for in a potential employee. The position I'm being interviewed for is an entry level Civil Engineer. Thanks!

samo147
01-17-2007, 08:28 PM
how did the interview go?
im planning on applying here also for an electrical engg position

mo_money2supe
01-18-2007, 01:04 AM
I personally thought the interview went great! There were 2 people from their Western Canada division who interviewed me, and each seemed quite interested in what I had to share. It was a long interview though - about half an hour long and was filled with conversation.

As for their questions, there were a couple "Give me an example of when you had to do this..." type of questions, a couple definition questions (ie. define leadership, define goal, etc.), and a number of questions regarding willingness to travel, relocate, be away from home sorta things.

However, that is my toughest decision - being away from home. If I am offered the job, I'll have to be away from Calgary (home for me) for the whole summer. I'm already away in Saskatoon for University 8 months of the year, so being away yet another 4 months will be tough. Sure it's great experience, and seemingly like a dream job (if they place me on some bridge construction projects...IF), but to be away from my gf, my family, and even being able to work on my car over the summer will be something that's going to be hard for me to decide upon.

Anyway, I'd encourage you to apply with them. From reading up on their company info and types of projects that they work on, they appear to be an awesome company to work for. The only downside is because it's such a big company, advancements will only move you so far up the corporate ladder. That, and the constant relocations.

DepTrotter
01-18-2007, 12:18 PM
All i can say dude, is don't let the travelling thing get you down, you'll be making enough money that you can bring those things to you!.. Remember, sacrafices will detirmine how successful you are. If you work hard and make sacrafices you will reach goals higher faster and be able to cement your career.

mvprimate
01-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Do you make more money as an engineer when you work in the field, like you would at kiewit?