PDA

View Full Version : Chrome rims & winter

Black_ZX2
01-16-2007, 09:02 AM
I know you're not supposed to drive with chromed wheels in the winter, but is there anything you can do to them (a protectant or something) that makes it any safer so you don't lose the shine from all the salt?
Thanks

Kona9
01-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Don't forget Pitting!! Hard to buff out pitting. Then it can cause chrome flaking....thats a bitch.

tirebob
01-16-2007, 05:05 PM
I know a guy who used to smear his with Vasaline, but man what a mess to clean up. Wax helps but you have to do it all the time and it still doesn't stop issues... just provides a bit more protection...

phrozeone
01-16-2007, 05:19 PM
3m film cut out to fit would work ok, but wouldnt promise anything.:burnout:

craigcd
01-16-2007, 05:39 PM
If you keep them cleaned up im sure they will be fine. In the long run im sure its not the best idea though.

Black_ZX2
01-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all your input everybody. Now I just need to find someone to mount & balance them for me that won't wreck the wheels or cost as much as they did.

ogpog
01-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Black_ZX2
Thanks for all your input everybody. Now I just need to find someone to mount & balance them for me that won't wreck the wheels or cost as much as they did.

Re-read your sentence, and somehow convince yourself that buying 4 $40 steelies to protect your investment is a bad idea( unless this is all so you can look cool during the winter, despite half of us laughing at those that do in this way) .:dunno:

Black_ZX2
01-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by ogpog

Re-read your sentence, and somehow convince yourself that buying 4 $40 steelies to protect your investment is a bad idea( unless this is all so you can look cool during the winter, despite half of us laughing at those that do in this way) .:dunno:

Well, my factory wheels are 20's so I don't need steelies. I wanna do it because I just picked them up when we were in Vegas on the weekend and I don't want to wait til spring. (I hate waiting for anything) Besides, worst case scenario, if something happens to them I'll just pick up another set next time I go down South and I'll learn for next time.

ogpog
01-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Black_ZX2

Well, my factory wheels are 20's so I don't need steelies. I wanna do it because I just picked them up when we were in Vegas on the weekend and I don't want to wait til spring. (I hate waiting for anything) Besides, worst case scenario, if something happens to them I'll just pick up another set next time I go down South and I'll learn for next time.

Yea, thats good thinking.

:rolleyes: