PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see in the barbershop you go to?

redline_13000
01-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Hey guys, I'm sure there wouldnt be a better place to ask then on this forum with thousands of male members.

I should be opening up a barbershop pretty soon here, just curious as to what you guys would like to see in the barbershop you go to, and what services you would like besides the obvious haircut or high lights.

Your positive input is appreciated, thanks.

:thumbsup:

jf97talon
01-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Couches in the waiting area instead of those ugly hard chairs every place has.

T.V's with sports.
Updated mags, some colorful lights. etc.
lol

ercchry
01-16-2007, 01:34 PM
^^ that and beer

jf97talon
01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
^^ OMFG I CANT BELIEVE I FORGOT THAT!!

If this is a men only barber shop, then some "nice" posters/calenders on the wall! :thumbsup:

PeterGTiR
01-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Designs in my flat-top cut.

Have you ever been to Brother's Kutz on 17th Ave and 52nd St. SE? Just like that....:D

89coupe
01-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Scantily dressed women to give me a head massage.

jf97talon
01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
^ :werd:

dennisaur
01-16-2007, 01:54 PM
the barber shop i go to has lcd tvs in front of the chairs so you can watch tv while you get your hair cut. one of them even has a ps2 hooked up to it haha

also the waiting area has cool guy magazines like import tuner to read. things like those made me go back to it so if you could incorporate those in your own shop, then you'd have some very happy return customers:thumbsup:

88CRX
01-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by jf97talon
Couches in the waiting area instead of those ugly hard chairs every place has.

Originally posted by jf97talon
T.V's with sports.

Originally posted by 89coupe

Originally posted by dennisaur

cool guy magazines

:thumbsup:

Shaad
01-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Pole dancers....

There is a place in crossfield called mens hair garage or somthing. It has well a car theme. the front desk is a front end or a camero, the tables are indy car parts, etc...well done place.

QuasarCav
01-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Efficient and to the point, I dont need chit chat or a fancy place to sit down. I just want a good quick haircut and that is what a barbershop should be, anything else is a salon IMO.

5hift
01-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Efficient and to the point, I dont need chit chat or a fancy place to sit down. I just want a good quick haircut and that is what a barbershop should be, anything else is a salon IMO.

I was thinking the same thing. For me, I drive out of my way from the SW to a shitty run down looking place in the NE. Why? She knows me by first name, what kind of haircut I want, and I know what to expect. I'm in and out in 15 minutes, I dont need a xbox360 or some LCD to look at. Focus on whats important, and customers will come back. Focus on whats flashy and attracts attention like MVP hair for men, and you'll be be going downhill like them as well.

Gondi Stylez
01-16-2007, 02:50 PM
cut and blow? ;)

Weapon_R
01-16-2007, 03:02 PM
A nice girl at the front counter, so she can greet customers, answer telephones, and give nice shampoos so you don't run around doing that. Marvel and Delmar are close to there, so find someone to come and give you a hand.

A clean and organized shop with well dressed and clean employees.

Enough seating room for enough people. Theres nothing worse than standing in a waiting area for haircuts.

UP TO DATE magazines. You're opening in downtown, so have something that appeals to an older business crowd. No toy cars and car posters around the shop.

Nothing else to it. Good cuts, good prices, and a hot girl will get you running in no time :)

wjjeeper
01-16-2007, 03:05 PM
serve a highball with haircuts.

redline_13000
01-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the input guys, keep em coming:thumbsup:

meed
01-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by dennisaur
the barber shop i go to has lcd tvs in front of the chairs so you can watch tv while you get your hair cut.

+1 for the TV's.. that would be really sweet

CRX-R
01-16-2007, 03:48 PM
TITS, and no fat chicks with weird hairdos

I actually drive by the place before go in to peek through the window and weight my odds on getting a fat bitch.

asp integra
01-16-2007, 05:31 PM
ya no fatties, just good looking girls to do the haircuts

bradwatson
01-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Well I doubt you're still hiring people right now, but if he if you are, then hire hot girls! lol. Another service that would be sweet is an old school hot shave. I would go to you and get that done cuz no one does it. I know it sounds ridiculous for a 19 year old to be saying that, but seriously, once you've tried it you won't burn it.

Just my $0.02

Crymson
01-16-2007, 05:45 PM
A big pricelist. Nothing worse then going int for a trim and gettin dinged for 50$ for 10 minutes of work. 5 of those minutes being pointless chit chat.

Slashin_
01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

+1
I noticed asian ladies give the best.longest massages

and get ppl that know diffrent styles....razor,sissors,thinning sheers,eletric razor.........i h8 places that cant use hand razors i am been look for 2 year to find someone to do it right....

spike98
01-16-2007, 06:50 PM
I am with the basics. I nicely laid out place with up to date mags and a cutie working at the front desk.

Then some skilled cutters and good prices. And someone that can do facial hair too. I have been wanting to get shaven by a good ol straight blade for quite some time now.

ryuen
01-16-2007, 07:12 PM
straight razor shaves :thumbsup:

VTEXTC
01-16-2007, 07:22 PM
While all of the above suggestions sound worthy, I'm a fairly simple and thrifty customer to satisfy. I'd like a barber that speaks and understands English proficiently (no offense intended), and since I get a trim every two weeks, a good price point is a bonus; I'd rather not spend more than $18-$20 including tip.

Good luck on your venture!
A

FreakinPrince
01-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by spike98
I am with the basics. I nicely laid out place with up to date mags and a cutie working at the front desk.

Then some skilled cutters and good prices. And someone that can do facial hair too. I have been wanting to get shaven by a good ol straight blade for quite some time now.

i second that i would like to give that a shot

TrevorK
01-16-2007, 07:51 PM
It seems that the biggest problem with the suggestion in this thread is that people are going in different directions. Some of the suggestions are catering to the metrosexual crowd, while other suggestions are catering to the more laid back blue collar crowd.

What the OP would need to do is tell us what sort of 'barbershop' he wants to open up. If it's an old school barbershop the look and feel will be a lot different than one that appeals to metrosexuals.

The absolute worst would be mixing your two target markets together. No one would know what you're going for, and you'll end up scaring people away.

Vietsta
01-16-2007, 08:10 PM
"special massages"

adamc
01-16-2007, 08:28 PM
straight razor hot shaves at a reasonable price.

same with the haircuts, I aint paying more than $25 dollars for a cut that I could really do myself if I had the patience.

all the other suggestions are good, but you don't have to go all out.

adamc
01-16-2007, 08:29 PM
when I lived in van I went to a hairdressing school and got a scalp massage/shampoo/cut for $5.30

the cuts and service were so good I would get a cut every week 4x a month

MikeHL
01-16-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I don't go to the barber's to pick up chicks. While eye candy is nice, it doesn't mean anything if the service is crap. I don't care who is cutting my hair as long as they do a nice clean job.

Ditto for sticking with the basics, as long as you are good at what you do and like to talk I'm sure people will start to come. And of course the price has to be reasonable for the work done.

I'd say start with the basics and build up depending on what your market is. No need to spend the $$ on fancy decor only to find out that your market is totally different.

Also get to know your customers, easier said then done. I have been going to the same guy for 12+ years because he knows what I want, I don't have to tell him and I trust him that he will go a good job with my hair what ever he does.

oh and ditto for hot shaves, never had one but heard wonders.

redline_13000
01-17-2007, 01:56 PM
90% sure right now this will be in downtown.

Kona9
01-17-2007, 02:05 PM
:D

Kona9
01-17-2007, 02:06 PM
:bigpimp:

Kona9
01-17-2007, 02:07 PM
:drool:

Darkane
01-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Shaves please please.

hussein
01-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Whoa, Kona9. Is that in Calgary???

Kona9
01-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by hussein

I wish!!!!!

Poland. A place called Hot Cuts. Don't believe it exists anymore. Atleast their website doesn't.

Kona9
01-17-2007, 03:10 PM
If you are going for a downtown location, you are obviously going to have late twenties to mid fifties age group. If it is a Barber and not a salon then obviously men will be your target market.

Tuner magazines may work on a small level. I suggest mags like Car and Driver, Robb Report, Dupont Registry, GQ, Stuff, Maxim, Daily Newspapers. That way you are getting the attention of men in general.

A 45 year old man getting off work and needing a hair cut would most likely rather read some of the above, rather than a magazine only his sons age group would read.

A guy in his early twenties typically wouldn't turn down any of those magazines if it was put in front of him.

Putting a TV in would be acceptable, but more than one seems a bit much as it would be annoying to try and watch more than one thing at a time. Having a TV could be a good thing as it will open easy conversation between you and clients, or clients themselves.

A decent counter girl would be great. Have her offer coat check, coffee, water, tea.

Modernizing your barber shop will give a comfort level one would like to return to.

Call backs. have a system in place that sets reminders to call clients one week or less after their cuts, to check up and see if they are satisfied.

I may be going too deep. These are some things that are done for me as a client that I appreciate and keep me going back. Minus the magazine collection.

Most guys know what they want when they get a hair cut. Some guys as you know don't mind changing it up a bit. Having magazines that contain up to date styles for men will make it easier for a male to explain what he wants done. Rather than rambling about in a seemingly ambiguous gay sense.

Good Luck with your new Adventure!

Whitetiger
01-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
:drool:

Is that in Calgary? :drool:

str8jkt
01-17-2007, 07:21 PM
Check out mvphairformen.com

They are in Calgary and have TV's and couches out front while you wait. Xbox, foosball table, etc. Then while getting your hair cut you get your own LCD tv with remote to watch. $25 gets you a shampoo/cut/straightrazor cut of neckline.. And its all for guys so only ladies cutting..

msommers
01-17-2007, 07:59 PM
I think the barber by my house still does old school shaves. It's in the mall with family foods in Mayland Heights.

Slashin_
01-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by str8jkt
Check out mvphairformen.com

They are in Calgary and have TV's and couches out front while you wait. Xbox, foosball table, etc. Then while getting your hair cut you get your own LCD tv with remote to watch. $25 gets you a shampoo/cut/straightrazor cut of neckline.. And its all for guys so only ladies cutting..

they any good? anyones exp?

ogpog
01-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by hussein

Originally posted by Kona9

I wish!!!!!

Poland. A place called Hot Cuts. Don't believe it exists anymore. Atleast their website doesn't.

Originally posted by Whitetiger

Is that in Calgary? :drool:

You're a good fuckin reader eh?

Audio_Rookie
01-17-2007, 08:34 PM
a salon I would like hot chicks with big tits and tank top of v cut shirts...

at a barber shop, a nice couch in the waiting area....a table with some magazines....assorted...car magazines included.

Someone that can cut my hair in decent time and not fuck around all day, down to business and be friendly while he/she is sniping.

barber shop is for getting you hair cut

salon is for flirting with the chicks and getting the whole package and wasting time.

When I go to the barber (When I was in Calgary, I only went to the one in deerfoot mall) It was in, snip snip, out...and all professional.

redline_13000
01-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Ya only guys cutting hair here, just me for the first while, maybe in the future a good looking woman to do shampoos and scalp massages:thumbsup:

Hot shaves for the beyond members:thumbsup:

mo_money2supe
01-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Funny how I found this thread the moment after coming home from a haircut at a barber shop...

One thing that bugs me though, is how shops continually raise their prices. I used to go to a place in Calgary that started at $15 for a plain men's cut. For the nearly 10 years I went there, their prices gradually went up to $25, and since then, I've been looking all around town for a nice good quality, but cheap haircut.

I'm now in Saskatoon for University, so finding a steady place isn't easy especially with all my travelling, but the barber shop I went to today (and have been going to for the past 2 years here), just raised their prices by $1. Sure it's only $1, but for clients that continue to return, they'll quickly notice how much you've raised the prices since they started going to you.

So I guess my advice is to just find a good common-ground price that will not increase every year or two. And post up your price list after you open this place, I might have to check it out when I'm back in Calgary. Oh, and will you be having any Beyond member specials by any chance? :D

redline_13000
01-18-2007, 06:03 PM
O ya there will be beyond member specials of course:thumbsup: