PDA

View Full Version : wtf is anti theft for?

DepTrotter
01-16-2007, 03:00 PM
My car has anti-theft and i was just wondering what exactly does it protect me from

5hift
01-16-2007, 03:01 PM
I think it will beep to let the theives know they better hurry

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Depends on the application.

Usually it means if the alarm is going off, it won't start.

DepTrotter
01-16-2007, 03:02 PM
well my car doesnt have an alarm.. so what triggers anti theft to come on?

xenofire
01-16-2007, 03:05 PM
i just got my dad an electrical starter for his car. if his key ring isnt within X feet, the engine wont start

hjr
01-16-2007, 03:07 PM
generally it had to do with a chip in the key that is necessary for the ecu to let the motor start.

dj_rice
01-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by hjr
generally it had to do with a chip in the key that is necessary for the ecu to let the motor start.

What your talking about is called an Immobilizer...

"When an immobilizer is installed, your car starts only with your key or your special code. When someone tries to start your car without your key or code, the immobilizer cuts power to the starter, ignition and fuel supply."

What hes asking...Anti-Theft....Lojack is one example of Anti-Theft...another would be The Club, or a car alarm...An anti-theft system is any device or method used to prevent or deter the unauthorized appropriation of items considered valuable, so my guess would be does your car have a lil blinking red light?Thats ur Anti-Theft...its a visual Anti-Theft...:confused: :dunno: I might be talking outta my ass so dont listen to my advice :thumbsup:

Vietsta
01-16-2007, 04:02 PM
i got a compustar. and if the alarm goes off will people still be able to start it?

dj_rice
01-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Vietsta
i got a compustar. and if the alarm goes off will people still be able to start it?

Only if you have the starter kill option installed

adam c
01-16-2007, 04:05 PM
^ try it out

DepTrotter
01-16-2007, 04:32 PM
wow my anti-theft is just a flashing light?.. thats fucking ghey.. thanks Honda

Strider
01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by DepTrotter

try locking your doors with your remote while you're inside the car, and then stick the key in and try to start it...

dudeman
01-16-2007, 05:01 PM
^sometimes you need to wait about a minute for the system to arm itself after locking the doors.

some cars if the stereo is stolen, wont start... but really, who wants a stock deck anyways?

infected
01-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Strider

try locking your doors with your remote while you're inside the car, and then stick the key in and try to start it...

Baby fires right up! I don't have the "panic" button on my remote but I do have the little red light.

phrozeone
01-16-2007, 05:14 PM
i have an anti-theft alarm, just makes noise, doesnt do shit. Im planning on getting a wheel release or a immoliblizer. i dont really know which is more effective??? anyone had experiance with either of these systems?:dunno:

EK 2.0
01-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by phrozeone
i have an anti-theft alarm, just makes noise, doesnt do shit. Im planning on getting a wheel release or a immoliblizer. i dont really know which is more effective??? anyone had experiance with either of these systems?:dunno:

A quick release hub is a great visual against theft...the downside being...most places you will use the release dont really cater to you walking around with a Sparco in your hand you know??...haha...I am toying with the idea of snagging a quick release...but when I detach my wheel, what am I supposed to do with it??...

Walk around TD Square looking like a poser??...hahaha

hussein
01-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

A quick release hub is a great visual against theft...the downside being...most places you will use the release dont really cater to you walking around with a Sparco in your hand you know??...haha...I am toying with the idea of snagging a quick release...but when I detach my wheel, what am I supposed to do with it??...

Wear it around yo neck, son. :bigpimp:

soupey
01-16-2007, 07:32 PM
i thought stock honda anti-theft alarms basically only turn on if u lock the car using ur remote, and then opening the door without a key (leaving the windo open and jus reaching in and opening up the door), i dont think it has anything to do with ignition.

once u upgrade to a remote starter alarm, then u can get into starter kill relays that basically cut off the ability to start the car if the car's alarm has been tripped and also stops u from accidentally grinding the starter by turning the key too far when getting into the car after remote starting it.

i have a viper 791xv alarm and if it ever gets tripped the engine will shut off (if on) and it wont allow you to turn the car on using the key, nor will it allow u to remote start the car until you unlock the car and turn the key manually to reset the alarm brain.

dj_rice
01-16-2007, 07:44 PM

I'm just curious as to why you out of all the places u could of said...chose TD Square?Is that your territory?Is that where all the JDM cool kids hang?:bigpimp: :dunno: :rolleyes: :rofl:

phrozeone
01-18-2007, 07:40 PM

nah man, you gotta lock it in your truck. why would you ever think to walk around with it?:dunno:

Darkane
01-18-2007, 07:43 PM

nah man, you gotta lock it in your truck. why would you ever think to walk around with it?:dunno:

Dont you think the first place to check if your a thief is the trunk? Besides if its a hatchback you screwed.

realazy
01-18-2007, 08:10 PM
i thought honda's stock anti-theft is just for the cd player/radio, hence it being on the unit itself. when the battery is disconnected the cd player/radio will require a code before you can use it.

EK 2.0
01-18-2007, 08:15 PM

you obviously have never seen B Pillar back in my lil hatch...

CivicDXR
01-18-2007, 08:35 PM

Bike guys walk around the mall with their helmets... same thing...

EK 2.0
01-18-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
Bike guys walk around the mall with their helmets... same thing...

haha I though about that Rich...and Shell's Angels are still far cooler with helmets in hand than some punk in a Honda would be walking around with his Momo...

CivicDXR
01-18-2007, 08:49 PM

haha I though about that Rich...and Shell's Angels are still far cooler with helmets in hand than some punk in a Honda would be walking around with his Momo...

or like when its +30C outside, any they're walking around with their bike jackets on... and sweating like a mofo... but they look cool... :dunno:

EK 2.0
01-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
or like when its +30C outside, any they're walking around with their bike jackets on... and sweating like a mofo... but they look cool... :dunno:

hahaha werrrrd haha

A2VR6
01-18-2007, 08:58 PM

maybe hide it under the seats? is there room under your recaros or do they sit right on the floor?

LuxCars
01-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by realazy
i thought honda's stock anti-theft is just for the cd player/radio, hence it being on the unit itself. when the battery is disconnected the cd player/radio will require a code before you can use it.

Yes that is true. Once the battery is disconnected the only way to get the deck to work again is by entering a code.

Plus the light is there as a visual signal to alert the possible thief that this car has an alarm. It may not be much but thieves would rather avoid a car with and alarm than one that does not have a blinking light (usually signifying an alarm).

And the anti-theft is the Immobilizer. The car can only be started by the two keys with special codes/chips installed in the keys to match the engine codes. Thus allowing the thief to not be able to drive away with your car. Another positive side of the immobilizer is the fact that it can not be hot-wired or tapered with easily to allow access to starting the car.

phrozeone
01-19-2007, 10:42 AM

well it would work for those of us who have the luxury key only entry to the trunk. and no if i dont think a theif would look in the trunk becasue wouldnt you assume that the owner took the wheel with them? same thing with a car deck, mostly just take it off to hide it out of site, but i guess that deck theft isnt much of a problem anymore. but in your trunk when your out doing stuff, in your house when your at home.

Protham
01-19-2007, 11:08 AM
I have it on my car and i read the manual and it says a bunch of lame stuff but it doesnt prevent it from starting, one this i found though it roll down your window, get out of the car, lock it, then reach your arm in and try to open the door, then the alarm goes off, thats all ive found though...kinda useless

B20EF
01-19-2007, 02:33 PM

:rofl: lol, that is pretty ghetto, I always thought anti-theft was a kill switch

Zephyr
01-22-2007, 12:07 AM

i had a chain and lock that i hooked the steering wheel to the rear strut bar.

EK 2.0
01-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr
i had a chain and lock that i hooked the steering wheel to the rear strut bar.

but in my cars case...the entire car from B Pillar back is gutted AND a strut bar can be removed with a 12mm socket...so its still fairly easy to get in and jack...

I mean if a thief wants in they are gonna get in and if they want your car they are gonna get it...What's stopping a thief from buying a few quick relase hubs of their own as so when they encounter a car with it they have a few to choose from with wheels already attached and BAM!!...it's as good as having a key...:dunno: :eek:

Zephyr
01-22-2007, 12:47 AM

but in my cars case...the entire car from B Pillar back is gutted AND a strut bar can be removed with a 12mm socket...so its still fairly easy to get in and jack...

I mean if a thief wants in they are gonna get in and if they want your car they are gonna get it...What's stopping a thief from buying a few quick relase hubs of their own as so when they encounter a car with it they have a few to choose from with wheels already attached and BAM!!...it's as good as having a key...:dunno: :eek:

theres also the hub cover too that u lock.

if they get past that, then go ahead, u worked hard to steal my car, u win LOL

toomuchb00st
01-22-2007, 12:57 AM
:nut:

GTS Jeff
01-22-2007, 04:25 AM
wow my anti-theft is just a flashing light?.. thats fucking ghey.. thanks Honda It works even better if you advertise that fact all over the internet. :rofl:

core_upt
01-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by realazy

"Anit-theft" on a Honda is only for the stereo; it has nothing to do with the immoblizier system that SOME honda's come with or the factory alarm that SOME came with. If the wiring harness is removed from the stereo (or cut) it will require a code to become functional again. It only does this if the harness is disconnected, not the battery. Thieves generally don't swipe factory units and anyone who knows what they're doing kows that a blinking light on the stereo is no indication of the vehicle being alarmed.

The Honda 'immoblizer' is a chip in the key. Not all cars have it, you can tell if you have a large key head, about the size on an egg-shaped loonie, if that makes sense.

The Honda alarm is only on cars with keyless entry and a panic button on the key fob. To test, roll the window down, and alarm the car. Wait 40-60 seconds, reach in a unlock manually and open the door, alarm should go off.

Honda also has a windshield etching security feature - I have no idea how it works though!

CivicDXR
01-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
If the wiring harness is removed from the stereo (or cut) it will require a code to become functional again. It only does this if the harness is disconnected, not the battery.

Not true, if the battery is disconnected, the stereo will ask u for the code.... as long as the stereos main, and backup power is removed, it will lock...