PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi Lancer

Rydog
05-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Has any got this car? I’m thinking of getting it and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on it for performance, reliability etc.

Need this info quickly tho as I’m possibly getting it tonite.

Cheers.

dj_honda
05-20-2003, 10:28 AM
equayzn has one, you might wanna talk to him

GTS Jeff
05-20-2003, 10:41 AM
for 20 grand (top model manual tranny) id get a corolla. toyota reliability and quality has mitsu beat for sure. corolla has a better engine (1.8L dohc vvti) than the lancer (2.0L sohc shitbox) more features, better brakes (ebd), way better on gas, and looks better too..

T5Bird
05-20-2003, 10:44 AM
We looked at getting one for my wife, but both of us were far from impressed on the test drive. It felt like a very cheap car to drive and terribly gutless, it was what I had pictured a Lada to drive like. Just my 2 cents.:thumbsdow

kevie88
05-20-2003, 10:50 AM
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow .. Not a great car IMHO. Slow like molasses in January!

Ben
05-20-2003, 12:16 PM
not a fan.

Rydog
05-20-2003, 12:40 PM
ok, I should probably mention that this is for my wife as a second car and it simply needs to be a point a-b situation as she's not too concerned with performance, mods etc. I realize it's not a show stopper on paper when looking at the engine, but it's going to be used as a child transporting grocery getter.

so, opinions i don't need. facts based on experience related to the performance/functionality etc is what I'm looking for.

If you just 'don't like it' that's fine, but I don't care. i would like to hear from anyone who has actually driven one or owns one, aside from T5Bird since he has test driven one (thanks for your feedback by the way).

T5Bird
05-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Yup that's what we were looking for as well an A-B car, the price definatley was right. We were looking at the OZ racing edition, it just really felt like driving a substandard car. Go try one for yourself, maybe she'll enjoy it??:dunno: It's tough to pass judgment on a car based on other peoples driving impressions.
Now if people were steering you clear from a personal experience of reliablity, safety, etc then maybe that should stray you away a little more. But sure give it a chance, more than likely you'll come to same conclusion as I did, but you never know till you try it.:)

The EquAzn
05-20-2003, 05:00 PM
I love my car.. but damn it really is slow as fuck... thats why I added mods so early.. It won economy car of the year though! (sigh......)

sml
05-20-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Just_d16n
ok, I should probably mention that this is for my wife as a second car and it simply needs to be a point a-b situation as she's not too concerned with performance, mods etc. I realize it's not a show stopper on paper when looking at the engine, but it's going to be used as a child transporting grocery getter.

so, opinions i don't need. facts based on experience related to the performance/functionality etc is what I'm looking for.

If you just 'don't like it' that's fine, but I don't care. i would like to hear from anyone who has actually driven one or owns one, aside from T5Bird since he has test driven one (thanks for your feedback by the way).

In that case, you should just get a cavalier or a civic or sentra or even a hyundai... they're all good "grocery getters"...

Hash_man
05-20-2003, 07:34 PM
I was just reading up on them in Consumer Reports, they are a very reliable source, and say that the car is ok, but it is very unreliable!

For about 20 grand or so, go get an Acura 1.7el, My mom did for 21,000 (touring edition) and it is a great car, really good on gas, and with 130Hp Vtech engine its pretty damn quick.

I would definately pick one over a lancer.

RiceCake
05-21-2003, 12:05 AM
I've test driven one and gotta say its just like driving a civic sedan, yet the civic still comes up on top. The OZ rally, rims are too small, no engine/suspension, or any upgrades, just the 15 inch rims... Not very impressed...

I heard rumors that by the year end, a new model will come out with a DOHC engine vs the SOHC right now, but I'm not too sure.

For simple daily tasks and to get groceries etc, I'd seriously consider getting a Corolla... I still have 2 in my family right now, and damn these things have yet to give me any headaches, they are good on gas and damn can they ever take a beating! :nut: These have got to be one of the most reliable cars my family has gone through. I don't have too much experience with my Sentra yet, but when I test drove the GXE, I found it to be a pretty nice package and peppy too, yet as I said before I don't have much personal experience with Nissan reliabilty yet.

Khyron
05-21-2003, 11:34 AM
I'd test drive a Hyundai Elantra GT before you make your purchase. I was very impressed - and it's a 5 door to boot.

Khyron

The EquAzn
05-21-2003, 11:46 AM
*sniff* no one likes my car....

90CivicDX
07-11-2003, 07:07 PM
I like your car. i am thinking of getting one. why kind of stuff have you done to it. i am looking for advice on what to do to mine when i get one.

Ichigo
07-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Is it me?? Or is the Lancer Kinda watered down?? Maybe I shouldn't compare that with the EVO..

Rydog
07-11-2003, 10:26 PM
we ended up getting a Lightining Yellow OZ Rally edition.

I even stuck a stainless exhaust tip on it to finish off the ass-end AT HER REQUEST! hahah, her first mod!

My wife loves it, therefore, I'm happy.

A happy ending, it's all good.

Boostn
07-12-2003, 12:27 AM
The Canadian market is supposed to be getting a Ralliart version this fall with approx 162hp and MIVEC (Mitsubishi variable valve timing) for 2004. Also it's supposed to get some suspension and drivetrain tweaks. It's no EVO but still better than the current offerings in terms of performance ES, LS or OZ and probably slots in between the Evo and the OZ models. So if you can just wait it out just a few more months...

RiceCake
07-12-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Boostn
The Canadian market is supposed to be getting a Ralliart version this fall with approx 162hp and MIVEC (Mitsubishi variable valve timing) for 2004. Also it's supposed to get some suspension and drivetrain tweaks. It's no EVO but still better than the current offerings in terms of performance ES, LS or OZ and probably slots in between the Evo and the OZ models. So if you can just wait it out just a few more months...

That's exactly what I heard rumoured for the last few few months now. Guess I'll have to check it out when it does :)

mad_psyentist
07-12-2003, 09:57 AM
I drove a rental lancer for a couple months. For a stock car, it's rather boring. Sound system is prety good stock, tho. It handles well and can go screamin' around corners well. But that's about it. You by the Lancer for the name. I agree with GTS Jeff that for the $$ you should check out a Corolla. They're both tunable, so it depends on how much you wanna spend and what you want your bang-for-the-buck value to be, or if you're partial to a particular brand.

That.Guy.S30
07-12-2003, 01:23 PM
the ralliart version has the evo front end.. looks ahella lot nicer than the pieces of shit that we call lancers over here in canada. i would rather get a civic than the mitsu!

Go4Long
07-12-2003, 09:06 PM
considering a Sentra SE-R Spec V is cheaper than the lancer oz and will tear it to shreds, and you get 17's and a six speed...I would go with it...I might be a little biased though...

RiceCake
07-13-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long
considering a Sentra SE-R Spec V is cheaper than the lancer oz and will tear it to shreds, and you get 17's and a six speed...I would go with it...I might be a little biased though...

Hence my decision. :angel:

DonJuan
07-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by The EquAzn
*sniff* no one likes my car....
I drive these at work and although it is an auto, I prefer it to the Focus, Echo, and the base Corolla that we have in the same class of car. I think the suspension is very responsive and steering as well. It is a quite fun car to drive and beat the crap out of, even thpough it take forever to merge, and forget passin somone. I like your car man, just get some rims and a system and you'll be set whele every one is stopped gettin more gas Get some EVO symbols and rims, and watch the guy beside you at the lights second guess himself!:rofl: Now that's fun.:thumbsup:

Wakalimasu
07-15-2003, 02:11 PM
damn, what about a Suzuki Aerio, 145 hp stock

DonJuan
07-15-2003, 02:56 PM
OK, ok, next somone is gonna be like what about my AMC pacer:barf: The suzuki is a cool car too and it's AWD, i'm not a big fan of the styling, or the ads that used to be played for it on tv. The after market isn't too fond of it either. But if you like your car then that is all that matters. I used to have a GEO prizm (toyota corolla) and now it's my bros car. It was an auto and had no muffler. I loved that car, it was phat, big ass stereo, and used to put like 20 bucks in it for the month. I still drive it once in a while. it's fun makin it go fast.:thumbsup: