PDA

View Full Version : Disk Read Error

irfaan
01-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Hi! I purchased a drive from memory express a couple days ago - stuck it into my computer and attempted to install xp. Everything is fine until it reboots (after copying files) to begin installation. Once it reboots, the computer spits out a 'disk read error'. I naturally assumed it was the drive and shipped it back to Memory express (brought the drive here to London) to have them ship me a replacement.

They called yesterday and informed me that they ran a 6-hour seagate diagnostic on the drive and it passed. I'm having them send me a replacement anyway (just in case) and was hoping that a couple people on beyond might have some thoughts as to what caused the disk read error (three separate installs).

I'm thinking that it might be my xp disk, and I'm currenly looking for a replacement (I have the key, but maybe the disk is damaged and didn't copy all the necessary files?). Any other thoughts? I've even replaced the IDE cable! No dice.

I appreciate all you input in this matter. Looking forward to hearing from you all :) Thanks for your help!

Irfaan

hussein
01-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Check your bios settings to make sure that the drive you installed is selected to boot.

codetrap
01-17-2007, 09:37 AM

irfaan
01-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah the bios settings haven't changed since the last drive was in there - and they all look good. aaaaaand the floppy (yes, i've still got one) is in there without a diskette.

I think it might be a large HD issue - I've got a really old motherboard that looks like it doesn't support drives larger than 160some gigs. So I just purchased a SATAII PCI card and returned my IDE drive for a SATA. Looking forward to seeing if it works.

irf

hussein
01-22-2007, 06:56 PM
yooo fan,

did you try flashing your mobo with the latest firmware? you might not need to add the card in.