PDA

View Full Version : Champ Car to Make Two Stops In Europe In '07

treg50
01-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Champ Car heads to Europe

Pitpass.com, 17/01/2007

The Champ Car World Series has announced that it will return to Europe for the first time since 2003 this year, with inaugural races in Holland and Belgium.

The events will take place on back-to-back weekends with a race at the TT Circuit in Assen, Holland on September 2 and at Zolder on September 9, the same day as the Italian Grand Prix.

"2007 continues to shape up as one of the most exciting in recent memory for Champ Car and today's announcement raises the anticipation level even higher," said Champ Car President Steve Johnson. "We considered a number of options for our return to Europe and these two events will prove to be very successful for our teams, fans and sponsor partners."

The Assen circuit, long fabled for hosting exciting Grand Prix motorcycle events, underwent major modifications for the 2006 season, resulting in a revised 2.79 mile track that will provide a stern challenge for the Champ Cars.

Zolder also underwent safety renovations for the 2006 season, after hosting Formula 1 events in the 1970s and 80s. The track will carry the process a step farther for the 2007 Champ Car visit, making further improvement to ensure a safe and challenging event.

"We are excited to bring the American equivalent of Formula 1 racing to Europe," said event promoter Bart Rietbergen. "Champ Car provides close racing that is easy for European fans to understand, and they will be very impressed with the access that they will have in the Champ Car paddock."

Announcing the events, Champ Car officials were keen to point out that, particularly at Assen, fans will have access to all public areas including the paddock. Furthermore, on Saturday and Sunday there will be several different grandstand tickets available as well as a 'general access' tickets. In addition, paddock entry tickets will also be on sale together with special VIP passes for one or more days with guests enjoying full catering, a private terrace and grandstand, VIP parking and more.

Having not taken exactly Europe by storm when it last visited, Champ Car will need to up the ante this time around. That said, with F1 appearing to focus its efforts on the Eastern markets, this could be an ideal opportunity for Champ Car to slip in through the back gate, while Bernie Ecclestone's attention is elsewhere.

The race in Assen is also likely to boost (Dutch) hopes of Jos Verstappen finding a berth with Paul Stoddart's Minardi Team USA.

----------------------

I don't see how it's a good idea for Champ Car to have a race on the same day as the F1 Italian Grand Prix. Should be interesting, but overall looks like a positive move.

Nite_Rydah
01-25-2007, 07:01 AM
I'll be at one of them (or if I'm lucky, both)...Can't wait!!

hjr
01-25-2007, 11:26 AM
i dont know if thats a great idea as europe already has many open wheel series currently running. Its also an increased cost to the teams to do more long distance traveling than ever before. I take this as a sign that cart is "growing to large for their britches" as my grandma would say. it was not that long ago that the series almost collapsed