PDA

View Full Version : FS: Hard Drive:Hitachi's Famous Deskstar 250G SATA.

Hollywood
01-17-2007, 06:49 PM
FS: Hard Drive : Hitachi's Famous Deskstar 250G SATA.

New in a box. Not OEM. Never used. I ordered it and decided to spend more money to get the largest one, and dont feel like paying the shipping to send it back. Just came in today, and selling at a small loss.

Selling for 115.00 FIRM. Located in calgary. Might deliver if in NW.

Deskstars are 2nd fastest drive out there next to the WD raptors which cost well over double the price for only a 150gig. So if you want the 2nd fastest and on a budget then this drive is for u. Deskstars famous drives back when IBM was making them, now Hitachi has taken over.

I researched hard drives for 2 solid days and deskstar is the my only choice going forward. Look for reviews yourself as I did and I will have no need to convince anyone.

Deskstar 7K250 Model Number HDS722525VLSA80
Capacity (GB) 250>
RPM 7200
Interface Serial-ATA
Sector size (bytes) 512
Recording Zones 30
Data heads (physical) 6
Data disks 3
Max. areal density (Gbits/sq. inch) 62
Data Buffer 8 MB
Latency average (ms) 2.17
Media transfer rate (max. Mbits/sec) 757
Interface transfer rate (max, MB/sec) 150
Sustained data rate (MB/sec) 61.4-29.7 (zone 0-29)
Seek time (read, typical)
Average (ms) 8.5
Track to track (ms) 1.1
Full track (ms) 15.1
Error rate (non-recoverable) 1 in 10E14
Idle (Bels) 3.0
3 year warranty

Some review quotes:

Notice the information given in the SiSoft benchmark. This drive is performing on-par with a single, SCSI 15k 147GB drive. This was surprising, seeing that the spin rate of the hitachi is about half that of the theoretical SCSI drive. Granted, the SATA spec will not scale as well as SCSI when doing RAID 0 (or other RAID setups), but it was still impressive to see a SATA drive going head-to-head with a SCSI drive.

Hitachi uses the Marvell SATA bridge chip to interface between the onboard parallel ATA electronics and the SATA interface. This certainly doesn't seem to have affected performance, as the Hitachi was, on average, the best performing drive in the roundup.

Hollywood
01-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Oh and before someone decides to post "you can get a 320g maxtor for 100.00", like the WD raptors you have to pay more for the extra speed. This drive is the inbetween for speed/cost per gig ratio compaired to raptor.

Hollywood
01-18-2007, 01:54 PM
If not sold by saturday, I'm putting it in my pc.

legendboy
01-18-2007, 02:03 PM
i'll give you 10 dollars for it and you have to deliver

Hollywood
01-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
i'll give you 10 dollars for it and you have to deliver

Only if I can deliver it to your moms house.:love: :poosie: