PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Licensing

Euro838
01-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this scenario. So I purchased a Dell computer a while back with a license of Windows XP home. I have since purchased and am using a licensed version of Windows XP Pro OEM that I bought from Memx. So everything is fine on this computer. My question is: Am I able to transfer the license to another non-Dell computer? I want to install the XP home on another computer.

I know with Dell, if you use one of their XP CDs and install on a Dell machine, it should activate according to their support team. Anyways, when I try to activate Windows XP home through the internet, it says invalid license key when I know this key is not in use by anyone else. Should I call microsoft or dell regarding this issue? Thanks in advance.

YCB
01-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Call Microsoft, and tell them to activate it by phone. No need to say your not installing it on the Dell.

Honda EXR
01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
I did that with my computers at home. I bought xp and tried to install it on 2 computers and had an error messgae saying the same thing. I just called microsoft and told them I had 2 computers at home and they gave me an installation key.

Euro838
01-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Honda EXR
I did that with my computers at home. I bought xp and tried to install it on 2 computers and had an error messgae saying the same thing. I just called microsoft and told them I had 2 computers at home and they gave me an installation key.

So you told them you had two computers and wanted to install the same license key on both of them and they gave you an installation key?

Honda EXR
01-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Yep, no questions asked

Euro838
01-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Cool, so I guess it just depends on what rep you get because I've had some people tell me when they call, Microsoft would direct them back to their dealer/retailer or gave them some reason about OS version and they can't give another install key. Thanks.

eblend
01-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Call MS and tell em your dell crapped out and you put a non dell motherboard into it. They will ask for model number and make. Give them that. They will be able to tell that the number is indeed from a dell but since it has a "different" motherboard they will provide you with the key to activate it. Done it so many times when I used to work as tech and works every time..

DON"T tell em your using it on 2 computers because the license is only for 1 computer and more often then not they will tell you to fly a kite

Velox
01-18-2007, 01:12 PM
MS OEM licenses are suppose to go on one computer and die with that computer. But if you want to install it on a second it will install and activate fine. if you want to transfer the oem license to another computer just get a regular win xp cd and install with that key onto another computer. And microsoft reset's their activation counts yearly i believe.

tictactoe2004
01-18-2007, 01:15 PM
When you call microsoft and finally get through to a real person always start the conversation with "Yes, hello... May I speak with Bill please"

They will respond with "Bill who"

You say "Mr. Bill Gates of course"

They will usually laugh and then help you out :)

lol, I get a kick out of it.

Hollywood
01-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
When you call microsoft and finally get through to a real person always start the conversation with "Yes, hello... May I speak with Bill please"

That's the nerdiest thing I have ever heard....somewhere a kitten just died...

hussein
01-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

:rofl: :rofl: ahahaha, that is great.