PDA

View Full Version : Review : Blowfish Sushi Lounge

rage2
01-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Address : 100 - 625 11th Ave SW (directly across from old Coconut Joes on 11th Ave).

I'm always up for trying out new sushi restaurants, so I gave this new one a try. It's been open for about a week now.

Ambience/Atmosphere: 9/10
It's a trendy/yuppy looking place, fairly small and cozy, capacity if I were to guess would be about 60 people. Doesn't look like your typical japanese restaurant, very modern western style.

Food (quality, portions, presentation): 9/10
While it's no Miki's, it's up there with all the other good sushi restaurants. Everything tasted very good, comparable to the top 5 sushi joints in town. Portions are fairly large, between average and Towa. It doesn't look like a lot of food, but we all ordered too much and was stuffed, couldn't finish our food. Presentation was amazing... I think they're targetting the trendy yuppie crowd, I've never seen sushi look sooooo good anywhere in town. Props for originality! The Miso soup was awesome, lots of tofu and onions in it. Never had miso soup with normal onions in it, can't believe nobody else does that.

I was told their current menu is just a partial menu (still new), we tried about 1/3 of the items on there ranging from sushi to kitchen food (chicken) and everything tasted very good. Can't wait till they have their full menu ready.

Service: 10/10
Service was excellent. Like I said earlier, it's a small place, so they're not understaffed, maybe even overstaffed. Server checked on us very regularly, very personal service.

Pricing: 7/10
While pricing is pretty much average, I gave it a 7/10 cuz I eat a lot at sushi boat, and it's dirt cheap lol. 5 of us went there, drinks, and too much food, worked out to $110 bill.

Overall: 9/10
I really liked this place, enough that I actually wrote a review... it's a nice change from your typical sushi joint. The only other place I've gone to with a similar ambience and experience was in vancouver, but this place blows it away in food presentation. Of course, sushi quality isn't vancouver quality, but we don't live beside the ocean hehe.

They're open for lunch, dinner, and after 11pm, it's a lounge that feels a lot like Crush, except smaller. Great place to take a girl out on a date. Check it out, and mention beyond, cuz there's beyond lurkers that work there! Not sure if they'll give you a discount tho lol.

l8braker
01-18-2007, 02:23 PM
I drove past this place the other day and wondered what it was like. Nice review going to check it out this weekend :thumbsup:

max_boost
01-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Awesome man. I'll have to try them out.

What are their hours for weekdays/weekends?

rage2
01-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Not sure of hours, you can always call, find out and post it tho. Their #'s in the telus system. 403-237-8588.

Altezza
01-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Of all the many other reviews I've heard, this is the first really positive review I've heard. Everyone agrees the ambiance is nice, but the rest of the experience needed improvement. This place was inspired by Blowfish in Toronto. This place has been open for much longer than a week...back in October or November, I had already heard of people going there. I haven't found the time to head there myself, but the reviews I've heard kind of kept me away.

rage2
01-18-2007, 04:03 PM
^^^ Are you sure we're talking about the same place? I'm 99.9% sure this place wasn't open until about a week and a half ago.

If I'm wrong, then they probably improved a lot since opening up, because I really liked the place.

Altezza
01-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Yup, unmistakable name and on 11th. They may not have had their grand opening until a week ago, but they were for open for sure. Unless there's another Blowfish on 11th? Maybe it has substantially improved?

saiyajin
01-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
Yup, unmistakable name and on 11th. They may not have had their grand opening until a week ago, but they were for open for sure. Unless there's another Blowfish on 11th? Maybe it has substantially improved?

i think you are talking about Globefish...:dunno:

rage2
01-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Who knows, but blowfish isn't really that common of a name lol. I'm probably going to eat there again, so I'll ask to see when they opened. They still had a guy working on their front door today, so I can't see them open for weeks before hand haha.

Si_FlyGuy
01-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Count me there tomorrow...and I'll mention beyond.ca before hand to get the tyler durden treatment.:rofl:

msommers
01-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Got a new place to try now! thanks for the review

Altezza
01-19-2007, 01:26 AM
OK, I checked with some the people who commented on Blowfish. I'm rather embarassed. The people who went months ago indeed went to Globefish (sounds a lot like Blowfish; odd since they also said it was on electric ave). However, some of them have also been to Blowfish since it opened. They generally have the same comments as rage - good ambiance, good presentation, decent prices. I asked if they'd go back and they said it was good to try but they doubt they'll be regulars. Turns out some of my friends' friends are the Blowfish proprietors. The entire group is made up of major foodies so the food should be good. I'm very curious to see how close it is to the Blowfish in Toronto.

If not not still sick this weekend, I'll go check it out. rage, I also need to swing by and pick up my avia one of these days!

rage2
01-19-2007, 12:58 PM
haha sucker! ;)

Si_FlyGuy
01-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by rage2
haha sucker! ;)

I made a reservation on the phone...seems like you're quite popular with the ladies.:bigpimp:

CRXguy
01-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Check it out, and mention beyond, cuz there's beyond lurkers that work there! Not sure if they'll give you a discount tho lol.

I guess I'll have to wear my Beyond hat and hoody to get my discount!!! :nut: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

rage2
01-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
I made a reservation on the phone...seems like you're quite popular with the ladies.:bigpimp:
lol

Anyone else check it out yet? Curious what others are thinking. Went there again yesterday, and it was consistent with my first time there :thumbsup:.

Super_Geo
01-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Pricing: 7/10
While pricing is pretty much average, I gave it a 7/10 cuz I eat a lot at sushi boat, and it's dirt cheap lol. 5 of us went there, drinks, and too much food, worked out to $110 bill.

With sushi and drinks it came to ~$22/person? That sounds dirt cheap for good sushi! Recently had a networking lunch at Sumo in Eau Claire and with food and drinks it came to about ~$40/person.

sml
01-22-2007, 11:22 AM
We went there last week and I agree with Rage2 with all of his comments except that I think I only give 5/10 for price. (Maybe because Rage2 is that much more blinging than me...) We paid about $25/person AND we probably ordered about 50% of the items on the menu, but I was still not full. But to the restaurant's defence, it is not catered to the value crowd, it is more a new wave artsy type of sushi restaurant. The food was very very unique and delicious! :thumbsup:

rage2
01-22-2007, 11:34 AM
We ordered a combination of kitchen food as well as sushi, so that might be where the price discrepency was.

I'll go again and order sushi only to see how much the bill is hehe.

max_boost
01-22-2007, 01:59 PM
OK, I checked with some the people who commented on Blowfish. I'm rather embarassed. The people who went months ago indeed went to Globefish (sounds a lot like Blowfish; odd since they also said it was on electric ave). However, some of them have also been to Blowfish since it opened. They generally have the same comments as rage - good ambiance, good presentation, decent prices. I asked if they'd go back and they said it was good to try but they doubt they'll be regulars. Turns out some of my friends' friends are the Blowfish proprietors. The entire group is made up of major foodies so the food should be good. I'm very curious to see how close it is to the Blowfish in Toronto.

If not not still sick this weekend, I'll go check it out. rage, I also need to swing by and pick up my avia one of these days! Pick up that avia and drop it off at my place on your way back. That's the TV calibration disc correct? :D

I'll definitely have to try to this place on the weekend. I was going to go but I felt betrayal to Wa's. lol

Beyond Sushi Lunch Meet anyone?

Si_FlyGuy
01-22-2007, 02:02 PM
We were in a rush to get to the Anaheim game, so we only ordered a couple of rolls and soft shell crab wrap to leave room for popcorn and beer. Here's what I thought:

Ambiance was really nice, the decor was simple and elegant (even though they're still putting the finishing touches). I think that they could use a barrier by the door to block out the cold air when the weather gets colder, I could see at least 3 tables being affected by that. The bathroom floor was interesting. Very nice. I like.

Service was excellent, and friendly. My gf and I were at times amazed by the 4" heeled wonderwoman.

Food (Iron Chef Scale):
Taste - 8/10: Full marks for both the Blowfish Roll and Spicy Tuna. The sauces were unbelievable, I didn't even need soya sauce. However, I'm not sure about the mango with the stronger roe taste in the soft shell crab wrap though.

Originality - 4/5: The sesame infused Spicy Tuna roll was very pleasant. This might be the restaurant's niche.

Plating - 4/5: Nice touch on the blowfish roll plating, but I'm not much of a fan of the flute glass being used for the wrap. A tall open ended glass would've worked better imho.

Price - 8.5/10: It's a reasonable price considering you get cloth napkins, great service, and impeccable food.

I'm definitely going back once they get their full menu out, and more fishes swimming in the tanks. There's a lot of potential for this joint to be successful.

Skyline_Addict
01-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Cool, must check this out.

rage2
01-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Went there again today at lunch, and 3 of us ordered nothing but sushi and sashimi. $99 for 3 people, so $33/person, which is about average for a sushi/sashimi only meal + drinks. So ya, my price rating remains the same :thumbsup:.

93mr2gt
01-22-2007, 03:20 PM
my friend is actually a part owner of Blowfish, i went there with my family on their first unofficial opening day for food tasting...The food was excellent, but the servers werent trained very well it seem...but overall it was very good...and i think they officially opened the restaurant about a week and a half ago

szw
01-24-2007, 03:27 AM
what a ripoff name (http://www.blowfishsushi.com/)

But still, sounds interesting in Calgary.

ringer
01-26-2007, 10:05 PM
checked blowfish out the other night
i was impressed

Ambience/Atmosphere: 9/10
i love simple designs and it was a nice space clean and organized

Food (quality, portions, presentation): 9.5/10
so good! best spicy tuna i've EVER had I’m craving it right now..
the presentation was amazing blowfish roll was very different from
sushi i've had before but very good

Service: 10/10
our server was attentive but not annoying and food came quickly

Pricing: 9/10
for how much work is put into the presentation and the fresh ingredients
the price is reasonable

Overall:9.5/10
Different that the usual and very tasty
i recommend this place to everyone great place to take a date

:D

cloud7
02-01-2007, 04:59 PM
will drop by Blowfish for lunch soon.

gcycheun
02-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by szw
what a ripoff name (http://www.blowfishsushi.com/)

But still, sounds interesting in Calgary.

if any of you are ever in LA, go to Blowfish to Die For its right on Sunset Blvd. :drool:

GME
02-02-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm glad to see Blowfish is getting glowing reviews from everyone! It definitely deserves it.

szw
02-05-2007, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by gcycheun

if any of you are ever in LA, go to Blowfish to Die For its right on Sunset Blvd. :drool:
Been to the one in SF, very nice place. Funky waitresses.

HiSpec
02-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Here's my 2 cent of Blowfish.
Food: 10/10
Selection: 7/10
Atmosphere: 9/10
Location: 9/10 (to make it a 10/10, they need a neon sign!!! It was so hard to find!!)
Price: 8/10 (find it slightly expensive, but the quality it surely up to par)

Overall I would give it 8.5/10

HOWEVER, my friend just came back from Fujiyama, and this is what she told me. Remember that Blowfish roll with the two Lobster antenna sticking up?? Apparently Fujiyama's sushi chef made something really really similar with the same style of garnish on their new sushi. And this was a week after she took him to Blowfish.
Here is one of the picture that she took
http://x31.xanga.com/e64d054168d31107364813/z76061005.jpg

HybridTheory
02-19-2007, 12:23 PM
I went there last Monday and I thought it was pretty good. I liked how the server explained what was in each roll and how the sauces would compliment the flavors of the roll. I found it pretty interesting how they didn't give you wasabi or soy sauce. I had the blowfish roll when I went and that was really good. :drool: We also tried both the desserts on the menu and they were tasty as well.

Kona9
02-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Best and worst thread ever!

Best = reviews

Worst = Stuck at work hungry as hell!

I will be checking this place out!

l8braker
02-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Finally got a chance to check Blowfish out earlier tonight.

Food: 5/5 - Excellent, excellent.

Service: 5/5 - We had three different people come over and offer to refill drinks and check up on us. Waitress we had was very knowledgable and friendly. The guys cooking everything up were friendly as well.

Restaurant itself: 5/5 - Excellent design and felt like home.

Price: 3/5 - 3 of us and it was $90. That said, I would still go back again and again and the only real problem I can come up with is the close proximity to my home..... This isn't good :D

Did anyone try the pizza dish they have? Looks/sounds interesting.

Two :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kona9
02-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Went last night. I must say this is for sure THE BEST sushi I have had!

I give it an over all 9.5/10.

I find it bad taste to request a discount in a nice restaraunt. It feels cheap. Although the assistant general manager "Jemmi" recalls Rage2 and she even checked this Thread out for curiousity sake.

She mentioned that the "4" heeled woman comment" caught her by surprise and was reading too fast to comprehend if it was directed at her. Very Nice girl!!

We had the Dynamite rolls, Blowfish Special, Sushi Pizza, and a regular salmon sushi dish.

The Dynamite rolls, and the Blowfish Special are fighting really hard for first place in my mind.

The place is modern, clean, simple, and nice.

Staff is excellent. Good attitude, knowledgable, prompt.

Food is phenomenal! Very artistic displays on the dishes.

That said....I will return again and again.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Blowfish

Isaiah
02-25-2007, 11:37 PM
So I read all the reviews and was totally sold. So I decide to go tonight, and... CLOSED! Damnit! Ended up going to Moroccan Castle. Will post review.

sputnik
02-26-2007, 09:00 AM
I went to Blowfish on Friday night and I wasnt too impressed.

I thought the sushi pairings that they did where you would order one traditional nigiri piece and then get a "globefish version" was kind of interesting and introduced some new flavours. However I found it VERY overpriced.

$4 for an average sized piece of Toro is a ripoff IMO ($8 because you have to order both versions). Their rolls were also pretty small and expensive. My wife and I tried the spicy tuna and the globefish rolls and they were each around $14 and only 8 smallish pieces each.

The carpaccio was also a TINY order ($9) and you could barely taste the beef due to the fact that it was swimming in marinade.

At the end of the meal my wife and I paid $80 and left unsatisfied.

3/10

Si_FlyGuy
02-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
I went to Globefish on Friday night and I wasnt too impressed.

I have to agree with you 100% on Globefish, however this thread is about Blowfish. Globefish tries to charge Towa prices with a third of the care taken into food preparation.

max_boost
02-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Damn sputnik got owned. haha :rofl:

sputnik
02-26-2007, 03:13 PM
oops... typo

corrected... i did go to blowfish

89coupe
02-26-2007, 04:12 PM

I have to agree with you 100% on Globefish, however this thread is about Blowfish. Globefish tries to charge Towa prices with a third of the care taken into food preparation.

Damn, I plan on trying out Blowfish but if you are saying its worse then Towa then it must really suck ass because Towa is terrible!!!

Si_FlyGuy
02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Damn, I plan on trying out Blowfish but if you are saying its worse then Towa then it must really suck ass because Towa is terrible!!!

Dude...Blowfish is good, Globefish is bad. IMHO. But everyone's taste is different.

Call me crazy, but I preferred Towa over Miki

Si_FlyGuy
02-27-2007, 01:26 AM
I happened upon Blowfish's menu for Downtown Dining Week (Mar 8 - 17) this year.

Dinner priced at $35 to include:

1. Miso salad
2. Beef carpaccio
3. Choice of: Wasabi Steak, Chicken Teriyaki, Assorted Sushi, or Assorted Sashimi (pick one).
4. Hand made green tea ice cream
5. Medley of fruit shooter

I plan on visiting 5 to 10 restaurants during DDW, and this should make it on my to-do list.

HybridTheory
02-27-2007, 01:45 AM
I happened upon Blowfish's menu for Downtown Dining Week (Mar 8 - 17) this year.

1. Miso salad
2. Beef carpaccio
3. Choice of: Wasabi Steak, Chicken Teriyaki, Assorted Sushi, or Assorted Sashimi (pick one).

I plan on visiting 5 to 10 restaurants during DDW, and this should make it on my to-do list.

That sounds pretty good. I'll have to check that out. Is the whole list of restaurants up for DDW?

Isaiah
02-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Finally got a chance to try Blowfish tonight and I left there very impressed.

Food: 10/10 - We had the Soft shell crab hand rolls, California rolls, and Blowfish rolls.

The Cali rolls: Very unique and different from any I've ever had. They are wrapped in rice paper and are made with real crab as opposed to the standard imitation stuff - absolutely terrific. Nothing I've ever had even comes close.

Soft shell crab rolls: The cones are served in champagne flute like glasses for an interesting presentation were delicious.

Blowfish rolls: Very unique dish - wasn't sure what to expect based on the description but was very pleasantly surprised. Unlike any other sushi that I've had.

Service: 10/10 The staff is what really completed the evening. They were extremely friendly and everyone in the restaurant came and said 'hi' at some point. Our server was extremely helpful with regard to menu suggestions and the service was very prompt. Jemmie (sp?) [the infamous 4 inch heel girl] was an absolute doll. She probably spent at least 20 minutes along with the sous-chef, Owen, just chatting it up with us.

Presentation: 10/10 A lot of effort is put into the presentation and every single dish looks gourmet when it hits the table.

Price: 10/10 We were both totally full with what we ordered and the bill came to ~$50. I found the price extremely competitive based on what we ate and the presentation and service. Compared to a $100 meal I had a couple of nights ago at a different restaurant, I felt we received a much better overall experience at Blowfish for 1/2 the cost.

I really can not think of a single thing they could have improved to make the experience more enjoyable. It was the perfect dinner experience and I would rate them a 10/10 without hesitation.

Almost forgot to mention, the fruit medley shooter is perfect to cap off the meal and tastes as terrific as it looks.

codetrap
03-02-2007, 09:55 AM

Isaiah
03-04-2007, 12:02 AM
I had another visit last night with a group of friends and as usual, the Blowfish staff was ready to impress. I tried a few different dishes this time around (spicy tuna and unagi) and was very pleased.

All 7 of us thoroughly enjoyed the experience. One crazy girl in our group complained about the dessert, which wasn't to her liking, and the staff took it upon themselves to ensure that she was pleased.

They not only took the item off our bill, but they also brought her another dessert at on the house and both the executive chef and sous chef came out to ensure that it was to her liking and that she was pleased.

As we left, the general consensus was that it was a very unique experience and overall a terrific evening.

89coupe
03-04-2007, 12:35 AM
My take on Blowfish, first impression was not good at all. The ambiance was average at best, reminded me of a place that was trying to come across upper class but failed miserably. Service was average, the young girl in the sultry white dress figured she could memorize our orders but ended up coming back more then once to remind herself.

The chairs were terribly uncomfortable and the tables were way way too small.

P.S. if you are going to have big ass fish tanks, fill them with big fish...LOL
:rofl:

On the plus side, the food was excellent! Top notch preparation and presentation. Because of the food I would go back again.

Four guys and our bill was $200.00

I really think they need to improve on the look of the place and the service. The food definitely outweighs the presence of the restaurant.

Food 10/10

Service 7/10

Price 7/10 (only because I felt like I was in a cafeteria)

Ambiance 5/10

Oh, I guess I should add what we had.

For myself

Two orders of Toro
Two orders of Unagi
Two orders of special scallop
One order of Dynamite rolls (Best I've ever had)

Two beer
One bottle of moonlight sake

Other guys had.

Blowfish rolls ( Excellent as well )
Assorted Sashimi
Sushi Pizza
Dynamite rolls

max_boost
03-04-2007, 04:34 PM
^^^

Everyone's talking about how great the ambience is and you shoot it right down. High standards? :dunno:

89coupe
03-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^^

Everyone's talking about how great the ambience is and you shoot it right down. High standards? :dunno:

Maybe the others haven't been to a nice sushi restaurant before?:dunno:

redline
03-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^^

89 coupe is a baller... a $200 bill does not register on his roller meter.

I would rate the food 10/10 but that was about it.

89coupe
03-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by redline

89 coupe is a baller... a $200 bill does not register on his roller meter.

I would rate the food 10/10 but that was about it.

LOL,

if I had your bank roll I'd burn mine.

Redline,

you were there that night, what was your take on the ambiance?

msommers
03-04-2007, 08:58 PM

Maybe the others haven't been to a nice sushi restaurant before?:dunno:

Such as?

89coupe
03-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Such as?

The nicest sushi restaurant I have been to would have to be Sushi Roku in Vegas.

www.sushiroku.com

redline
03-05-2007, 01:45 PM

Redline,

you were there that night, what was your take on the ambiance?

I thought they were trying to be cool and trendy but failed. The chairs sucked and the tables where to small for the fancy plates they used.

service: they brought us food that we did not order, she came back at least twice to check what we ordered and the first things ordered took the longest to come :dunno: For the price of the food this is all no-nos

But the Blowfish roll was :drool:

Isaiah
03-06-2007, 06:05 PM

I thought they were trying to be cool and trendy but failed. The chairs sucked and the tables where to small for the fancy plates they used.

service: they brought us food that we did not order, she came back at least twice to check what we ordered and the first things ordered took the longest to come :dunno: For the price of the food this is all no-nos

But the Blowfish roll was :drool:

I've been there 4 times now and have had a terrific experience each time. Maybe you guys just went on an off night, which happens everywhere once in a while. I've been to 25+ sushi restaurants (Toronto included) and I would rate Blowfish among the top for sure.

89coupe
03-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

I've been there 4 times now and have had a terrific experience each time. Maybe you guys just went on an off night, which happens everywhere once in a while. I've been to 25+ sushi restaurants (Toronto included) and I would rate Blowfish among the top for sure.

Off night??? Huh?

We both said the food was top notch.

Ambiance and decor cannot have an off night. Its either on or off...LOL

The decor was average at best.

The food and plating was designed around a 5 star restaurant. Blowfish's presence comes off as 3star at best.

Isaiah
03-07-2007, 12:30 AM
I guess it's a matter of opinion. All of my guests on each occasion that I've been there have been as pleased with the ambience as they were with the food.

That's what I was referring to by my 'off night' comment.

CKY
03-07-2007, 05:35 AM

1. Miso salad
2. Beef carpaccio

Purely based on value, the dinner menu doesn't even come close to the $15 lunch.

89coupe
03-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
I guess it's a matter of opinion. All of my guests on each occasion that I've been there have been as pleased with the ambience as they were with the food.

That's what I was referring to by my 'off night' comment.

Well like I said earlier, maybe these people have never been to a nice restaurant before so have nothing to compare it to.

When I read Rage2's review I was expecting something upscale, especially from a guy who rolls in an E55AMG:dunno:

As for the off night comment. It was most likely my fault for her coming back more then once. I think I flustered her a little when I questioned whether or not she would be able to remember my whole order as it was rather large. I was just playing of course but either way I think it threw off her game.

rage2
03-07-2007, 06:01 PM
When I read Rage2's review I was expecting something upscale, especially from a guy who rolls in an E55AMG:dunno:
For Calgary, I'd say it's pretty good. If you're comparing it to US upscale sushi joints, of course there's no comparison.

Besides, I'm a wannabe baller anyways. It's an old E55 lol.

Kona9
03-07-2007, 06:28 PM
the only things that caught my eye decor wise, were the fishless fish tanks to each side of the kitchen view, and where the two long and narrow mirrors are on the west wall. When seated facing the wall you can see the reflection of the cut and broken drywall on the inside.

I understand that that is pretty petty observation. I'm just a detailed person.

Other than that, I will be frequenting Blowfish in the future.

Si_FlyGuy
03-07-2007, 06:29 PM

It's an old E55 lol.

As a matter of perspective, I guess you can call high school girls "old" too. I see how you justify it now.:rofl:

redline
03-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
the only things that caught my eye decor wise, were the fishless fish tanks to each side of the kitchen view,

Other than that, I will be frequenting Blowfish in the future.

they had three small fish about the size of a lonnie in the last Sat. :rofl:

I would go back but i would not be a first choice. I am more about value the decore.... I guess that is why i drive a g35 and not a e55 :D ;) (even an old one is too much for me)

redline
03-07-2007, 08:49 PM

Besides, I'm a wannabe baller anyways. It's an old E55 lol.

damn those 2005 cars are soooooo old

rage2
03-08-2007, 08:09 AM
haha dude it's a '99.

Kona9
03-08-2007, 08:23 AM
rage2's new cutom license plate = PMPN8EZ

Si_FlyGuy
03-08-2007, 09:00 AM

There were at least 12 of them when I last went there. Business must be good.:rofl:

89coupe
03-08-2007, 09:38 AM

I would go back but i would not be a first choice. I am more about value the decore.... I guess that is why i drive a g35 and not a e55 :D ;) (even an old one is too much for me)

Sigh, must be tough driving around in a brand new fully loaded 2007 G35. At least you can drive your brand new fully loaded Titan when you are bored.:rolleyes: :rofl:

Lt247
04-14-2007, 06:31 PM
After Reading all the reviews, i took a couple friends to blowfish to try it out.

Ambience/Atmosphere: 8/10
I really enjoyed the feel of the place, the couches were comfortable, the music wasn't to loud, it was a very comfortable atmosphere to have dinner with a group of friends. Only thing is was the selection of music, some of the stuff played i felt didn't suit the rest of the restaurant. Also.. fill the fish tanks haha

Food (quality, portions, presentation): 9/10
Personly, I ordered
California rolls,
Dynamite Shrimp Rolls
Blowfish Special
The Dynamite rolls came first, and when they did.. i couldnt eat them. I didnt want to ruin the presentation of the food. It looked amazing. And when i tried them.. one of the best sushi rolls i have ever tasted.. infact i ordered a second order of them.. Since we were all new to the place me and my couple friends all ordered different stuff and tried each others dishes.. The food was superb, some of the best sushi ive had in a long time. I also tried the Sushi Pizza ( reference to a previous post). That was really good too, however i was getting so full i could only have a couple bites!

Service: 9/10
Service was excellent. Our Waiter checked up on us frequently and we were all very satisfied with how we were treated. However i do wish the food came ab it quicker.. specially when you are drooling waiting on it.

Pricing: 8/10
I had aprox, a 50 dollar bill to my self, however i went all out and ordered 4 full dishes and 2 beers. I felt for how full i was, the presentation, quality of food, and service, the price was very justified. Majority of the people at my table eat alot less then me ( im a pig, what can i say) so their bills were smaller, yet they were still full.

Overall: 8.75/10
I enjoyed my self. All of us did very much and are looking forward to going back again :)

I highly recommend anyone tries this place if they are a fan of sushi. Also seems like it would be a ideal place to take a girl on a date ( agreement with previous post).

:thumbsup: 2 thumbs up! :thumbsup:

pinoyhero
04-14-2007, 08:59 PM
I used to swear by Zen8 but now that its closed i tried Globe out. The place is dope! Only issue is that its tiny and can be hard to get a table. Prices are fair, service is good, ambiance could be better but for rolls that good ... I'm game

Isaiah
04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
I used to swear by Zen8 but now that its closed i tried Globe out. The place is dope! Only issue is that its tiny and can be hard to get a table. Prices are fair, service is good, ambiance could be better but for rolls that good ... I'm game
Globefish or Blowfish? This thread is about Blowfish.

pinoyhero
04-19-2007, 06:01 AM
^LOL sorry I made the same bad mistake as others did, GLobefish is dope, Blowfish I have no idea about

CivicTunr
05-04-2007, 02:39 PM
went there today, at lunch, excellent :D
had the blowfish and the spicy tuna. im full still. :D

redline
05-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
^LOL sorry I made the same bad mistake as others did, GLobefish is dope, Blowfish I have no idea about

The rolls at these two are great but $14-15 :dunno: They are good but i am not sure they are that good...

That said i would go back to Globefish for sure... larger menu more choice

RX_EVOLV
05-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Went there a couple weeks ago, thought the food was EXCELLENT! some of the best sushi Ive ever had in calgary.
Downside, I think its a bit on the expensive side, they need more than $4.99 small puffers in those giant fish tanks. and the whole place feels more like a lounge than a restaurant. Plus when I was there w/ my mom they were playing 50 cents in the background... so it was weird when we were talking and the background music was "mother f*cken P.I.M.P"

but great place! definitly want to go back soon

Isaiah
05-07-2007, 11:37 PM
They usually play house music in the background but they've changed it up a little bit lately for variety.

ercchry
05-10-2007, 08:40 PM
just went tonight and wow, so good

the food was amazing best sushi i have ever had, and they have some of there own specials that i have never had before

the service was great, above and beyond

the waitress knew everything about every dish she served us and we forgot the credit card and she ran about 4 blocks to give it back to us!

it is by far my favorite place for sushi now!!

and the yellow tail sushi (regular and house special) and the blowfish special rolls are amazing!! :drool:

well everything was amazing but those two stood out

they also do not serve soy sauce with everything, and have there own sauces for the rolls and tempura, kinda a cool concept

also the sushi does not have anything added to it (like wasabi under the fish) and the fish was so fresh too no fishy taste just amazing

:thumbsup:

spyce
05-11-2007, 07:59 AM
i always want to try this place and keep forgetting that it isnt opened fridays :(

B18C
05-27-2007, 04:07 PM
With all the hype about this place we decided to go there last night with some friends to try it out.

Ambience/Atmosphere: 5/10 (average)
In all fairness, we were out on the patio and didn't even get a good look inside. The patio was at best average. Small tables. They sat all six of us at one table and there was really no room for the food when it came. Luckily it wasn't that busy and we were able to grab a second table. At best you can sit 4 at each table outside. It seemed like the patio was put there more as an afterthought and not much effort was put into it and no heat lamps.

Food (quality, portions, presentation): 8/10 (very good)
We ordered california rolls, dynamite rolls, spicy tuna, Blowfish Special, cajun chicken rolls, sushi pizza, and toro. Presentation was nice on all the dishes but that is very low on my priority list. The best rolls were the cajun chicken and the spicy tuna rolls. The Dynamite roll was also very good. The California roll was definitely different in a good way but I've never really been a fan. The sushi pizza was very different from anything I've had. Though it was good, I'm glad there were 6 of us because I don't think I could have enjoyed more than 1 or 2 pieces. My least favorite was the Blowfish special. I have never liked cream cheese in my sushi and don't think I ever will.

I usually use toro as my benchmark for sushi restaraunts because I can seem to tell the biggest difference between good and bad toro. The toro here was better than average but not great. I didn't like the Blowfish version of the toro but the normal piece was decent. At $8 I would much rather go to Sushiboat and get 4 pieces of normal toro.

The portions were quite good. Not HUGE like Towa but I think I like that better. Some places just go overboard with huge rolls but Blowfish had just about the right size so I could enjoy a variety of dishes.

Service: 9/10 (excellent)
Service was excellent. Our waiter was a little forgetful with stuff like getting additional menus and ginger but his overall attentiveness more than made up for it.

Pricing: 7/10 (good)
After spliting the bill my wife and I were on the hook for just over $50 for the sushi. We definitely weren't stuffed afterwards and probably only borderline satsified in fullness. To get a good fill it probably would have cost $70-80.

For a more upscale sushi joint with good food the pricing is pretty good.

Overall: 8/10 (very good)
My wife and I had a good time. It definitely won't replace our regular sushi joint but every once and a while I'm sure we will go back.

azn_gq
04-27-2009, 01:07 AM
FYI guys, one of the original owner and sushi chefs that opened up Blowfish (and creator of most of the rolls), is now at Sukiyaki House.

xolemonteaox
05-05-2009, 09:13 AM
i went to blowfish....and i thought it sucked! i'm sorry guys, but i didn't think that was worth my money

the food was weird and the service was horrible!
we ordered the creamy scallop roll and it was all the tempera leftover!

:facepalm:

wasted my time and money >=T

Originally posted by azn_gq
FYI guys, one of the original owner and sushi chefs that opened up Blowfish (and creator of most of the rolls), is now at Sukiyaki House.
where is sukiyaki house?

Disoblige
05-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by xolemonteaox
i went to blowfish....and i thought it sucked! i'm sorry guys, but i didn't think that was worth my money

where is sukiyaki house?

517 10 Ave SW Calgary, AB T2R - (403) 263-3003

Yeah, WTF were the new owners thinking.. Gonna give Sukiyaki House a try :love:

clem24
05-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by xolemonteaox

where is sukiyaki house?

I hope you realize the original review is 2 years old haha... Sukiyaki House might be worth trying though.

Disoblige
05-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I posted this in the sushi thread in Food and Dining, but thought those who see this review might want to see what the actual Blowfish from 2 years ago is like at Sukiyaki House. The photos you see that are labelled "Blowfish" is the Blowfish now. It may look like good presentation but it tastes like ass for the most part. Sukiyaki House on the other hand is delicious and gorgeous. The dessert is great as well; it is a must try.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/disoblige

npham
05-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I posted this in the sushi thread in Food and Dining, but thought those who see this review might want to see what the actual Blowfish from 2 years ago is like at Sukiyaki House. The photos you see that are labelled "Blowfish" is the Blowfish now. It may look like good presentation but it tastes like ass for the most part. Sukiyaki House on the other hand is delicious and gorgeous. The dessert is great as well; it is a must try.

Your Sushi King before and after pics are so freaking funny. Mad props.

l/l/rX
05-09-2009, 10:31 PM

mosdef gonna have to check out sukiyaki house. how did you enjoy it? sushi misato also looks quite good. which place do you prefer?

Disoblige
05-11-2009, 12:21 AM
I would say that Sukiyaki house is one of my Top 3 places to go to. Price wise it's decent too; was ~$120 for a full meal for 2. That's like 2 appetizers, 5 rolls, sushi, and dessert. Not bad.

Still my #1 place is El's not because its way better quality food, but it has great value. Our bills are usually ~90 or so for the same product. Also much more selection.

To answer your question though, I prefer Sukiyaki House over Misato because overall it's a more upscale experience. Misato is more for casual dining. They don't have many interesting rolls either, or unique desserts.

azn_gq
05-11-2009, 06:19 PM

517 10 Ave SW Calgary, AB T2R - (403) 263-3003

Yeah, WTF were the new owners thinking.. Gonna give Sukiyaki House a try :love:

Thats actually the address for the old place. The new location is 207 9th Ave SW. It's next to Rush in the same building. :burnout: