PDA

View Full Version : Appetite suppressors. Do they work??

old&slow
01-20-2007, 06:03 PM
I really need to get a handle (no jokes now) on my weight.
I have zero will power. During the day I do ok but in the evening I eat way too much and I seem to have no control.
Maybe a pill to take away the desire?

01RedDX
01-20-2007, 06:12 PM

Palmiros
01-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Liquid Hoodia is supposed to be good. You take it before you eat to make yourself feel full much sooner than you normally would. It's a natural appetite suppressant. I just got some at WalMart, but haven't tried it yet, so I will post in a few days with an update. My appetite has been way out of control as well.

Here's some info on that.
http://www.hoodithin.com/

Also, some more info I found on this

After months of researching the Hoodia market online and speaking with company representatives, I have been able to compile a list of the most reputable Hoodia suppliers on the Internet (see below for recommendations). During my research, I came across some very important information that everyone should know before purchasing Hoodia online.

Real Hoodia is RARE and EXPENSIVE. It takes approximately 5 to 7 years for the Hoodia succulent to mature and provide appetite suppressant qualities. The African government has limited the amount of Hoodia it exports and the number of suppliers to receive it. Because of the growing awareness and popularity of this miracle herb, rip-off products that contain very little or no authentic Hoodia in them have flooded the marketplace. So.......

When you select your Hoodia product, choose one that has no Ephedra, no Ma Huang, and no Ephedrine. Also, do not settle for any hoodia that is less than 100% pure South African Hoodia from the Kalahari Desert (reputable suppliers will display their certificates on their web sites to prove it). And look for Hoodia that is licensed by the Western Cape Conservation Authority of South Africa. There are two certified documents required to prove the authenticity of pure South African Hoodia. They are the C.I.T.E.S Certificate and the Analytical Report.
source : http://www.radiohealth.net/hoodiagordonii.html?gclid=CP7I-8Sf8IkCFQ9CYQodE1MoHw

old&slow
01-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Man I'm so skeptical of stuff like that!
ANymore info on this?

Palmiros
01-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by old&slow
Man I'm so skeptical of stuff like that!
ANymore info on this?

Read my post above. Should answer all your questions.
Anything else you don't find answered there, feel free to ask here and I will find the answers for you.

Altezza
01-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Do you drink milk? Milk has some appetite surpressing nature to it as it binds to receptors and fools you into thinking you're full. Have a cup of milk-tea?

01RedDX
01-20-2007, 06:36 PM

Palmiros
01-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah, the stuff I bought is supposed to be genuine, comes with an export certificate and controlled place of origin in South Africa. The brand is Liquid Hoodia Extreme and they give the same warning about inferior hoodia right on the package. $20 for 30 pills. I guess we'll see.

Pills? Thought it was liquid.

old&slow
01-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
Do you drink milk? Milk has some appetite surpressing nature to it as it binds to receptors and fools you into thinking you're full. Have a cup of milk-tea?

How bout chocolate milk?

Darkane
01-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by old&slow

How bout chocolate milk?

Lol buddy.. you're not controlling weight drinking chocolate milk when regular milk was suggested. First off your attiude sucks. Thinking you have no will power = automatic failure.

Do this, and i dont care how much you dont like it or "Cant" do it. Start eating BROWN carbs. Look up the Glycemic Index on Google. ONLY eat food with a GI LOWER than 50. You can still eat a lot of these foods as it will keep you full longer. Increase your protein to keep you fuller as well. Dont eat sugars... I dont care if you dont have willpower, make some!

Now go. :whipped: :devil:

blueripper6
01-20-2007, 09:08 PM
you need to eat.. its a fact of life.

Maybe the reason you over eat in the evening is that your trying not to eat during the day, so by the end of the day your so hungry you just go all out.

Try eating BALANCED healthy whole meals throughout the day evenly, small snacks. Thats all I do and I dont even work out and in the last year i have lost 60 pounds.

Avoid fastfood, junkfood, POP(drink diet), caffiene and eat whole carbs(fruits, vegatables, pasta, whole wheat bread)
Oh and before you start your meal, eat 15g of protien or so BEFORE you eat carbs. This helps slow do the release of the carbs into your system and more or less evens out the realese of insulin into your body and is just healthier.

Thats all I am doing..

Slashin_
01-20-2007, 09:52 PM
friend tried that that did wonders for him he went from size 40 pants to 37,38....hes the same size thou,he was working out so he just got more muscle

i used potatoes extract to supress my hunger,i love food thou so i set my self smaller portions of food,but more often, i had 5 meals a day,each consisted of a fruit w/ somthing that filling, potatoes,rice,bread....this combined with my hardcore labour job and my growth spurt i got slim fast.....pants size from 38-36....some brand 34'S

confidence is the key too....my family help me kept me on track, they often told called me fat before but then when i lost like 5 lbs they compimented me and it kept me going,it felt good thou,after i lost 15lbs i kept going work 7 days a week,push ups and situps 4 times a weeks

in the end it all comes down to eating more fruits and vegi's....and a shit load of water...NO POP

01RedDX
01-20-2007, 11:04 PM

old&slow
01-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Lol buddy.. you're not controlling weight drinking chocolate milk when regular milk was suggested. First off your attiude sucks. Thinking you have no will power = automatic failure.

Do this, and i dont care how much you dont like it or "Cant" do it. Start eating BROWN carbs. Look up the Glycemic Index on Google. ONLY eat food with a GI LOWER than 50. You can still eat a lot of these foods as it will keep you full longer. Increase your protein to keep you fuller as well. Dont eat sugars... I dont care if you dont have willpower, make some!

Now go. :whipped: :devil:

Does will power come in pill form? :D

Thnx for the advice...chocolate milk was a joke!!
Will look up the Glycemic.

old&slow
01-21-2007, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by blueripper6
you need to eat.. its a fact of life.

Maybe the reason you over eat in the evening is that your trying not to eat during the day, so by the end of the day your so hungry you just go all out.

Try eating BALANCED healthy whole meals throughout the day evenly, small snacks. Thats all I do and I dont even work out and in the last year i have lost 60 pounds.

Avoid fastfood, junkfood, POP(drink diet), caffiene and eat whole carbs(fruits, vegatables, pasta, whole wheat bread)
Oh and before you start your meal, eat 15g of protien or so BEFORE you eat carbs. This helps slow do the release of the carbs into your system and more or less evens out the realese of insulin into your body and is just healthier.

Thats all I am doing..

I do eat day time I just dont need that much when I'm working and busy. I eat a lot of fruit but they dont satisfy me in the evening. I drink coffee only in the early morning....looking for a boost as I read the paper.
I rarely have junk food and we dont buy much pop in our house. Christmas was like and food orgy here tho and things got way outta hand. I think I gained 10 lbs.
What excatly constitutes carbs in a regular diet anyway?

thnx for the support!

msommers
01-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Easy carbs to think of: potatoes, pasta, bread, cereal and rice. But try to eat the bread without any butter for say a sandwich or dry, and potatoes and rice with a little seasoning instead of a load of soy sauce. Stay off of cheap white bread or the 60% crap. Multigrain tastes better anyways and is quite a bit better for you in comparison.

The biggest you have to watch out for, is eating healthy foods, but then go ahead and add tons of dressing/sauce on. I love people who eat basically dressing with their salad and say they are trying to eat healthy!!! Vineargarettes are good for this, strong taste and usually pretty good, try raspberry. Adding fruits on salad is a good idea too. Add some fruit on your cereal in the morning, everyday.

At first it will suck, I'm not gonna lie, especially if you havn't been doing so already, but try to get in about 2 L of water to begin with, everyday. You'll feel like your pissing every 10 minutes, and probably are, but your body will need to adjust to the new intake. I was the same way, and now if I don't drink like 2.5L of water a day at least, I'm always thirsty. Green tea is a really good idea as well. Get a proper tea pot (it has a strainer type thing inside of it) and get some "fresh" tea leaves, not that crap in the co-op, tea bag = bad green tea (lots of different kinds of green tea). There is a proper way to make green tea so it doesn't take bitter as shit (basically don't make the water super hot).

I'm curious to know, what would be a usual day of eating for you, just so I can get a feel from where you are "coming from"?

And as much as it sucks, stop eating after 8 o'clock at night.

Don't doubt yourself as much. You've actually completed one of the hardest parts of becoming fit, admitting you are out of shape but want to change!! Just remember man, there a lots of people on this board that have been where you have been and beyond seems to embrace these guys and help each other out. You can totally do this man, I know it. If you want, make a thread dedicated to yourself, keep us on the update and we'll try to help as much as we can. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

googe
01-21-2007, 02:27 PM
cocaine will do just what you need :thumbsup:

old&slow
01-21-2007, 02:43 PM
^^^^^^^^^^?Do you supply?^^^^^^^^^^^

AzN'SKillZ
01-21-2007, 02:53 PM
some one at my work used a supressor, but i think it was a needle that his doctor gave him. but it work like a miracle.

01RedDX
01-21-2007, 05:42 PM

~Leah~
01-21-2007, 11:34 PM
I tried a suppressant once. I ate almost double cuz it made my tummy gurgle so much. Don't take that crap, just eat healthy. Or chew gum?

01RedDX
01-21-2007, 11:40 PM

hussein
01-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Just to update, that Hoodia stuff didn't work, and I can also tell you with confidence that weed is definitely not a good idea when you're trying to suppress your appetite.

:rofl: :rofl: ahahah.

Grip172
01-23-2007, 11:49 AM
hahaha this thread made me laugh
i feel your guys pain tho
i'm no tfat..but i'm definately getting a beer gut out of hand. i need to get rid of that. its pretty hard with school FT tho right now.. (or i'm using that as an excuse, i'm not sure)

my problem is that i eat at 6am every morning (i leave at 6:40 to get to 8am classes..it blows) so by 10am i'm hungry again..then 2...then 5...then at like 9 i'm hungry again..which is bad..its so bad to eat past 7..
fuck i wish the school gym wasn't completely useless
i can't wait til summer...run run run

Mr_ET
01-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by googe
cocaine will do just what you need :thumbsup:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug!

three.eighteen.
01-23-2007, 12:59 PM
purge??

SiR_lyfe
02-08-2007, 11:52 AM
ya Red Rockets work pretty good. but kinda messes with the head

Masked Bandit
02-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Are you still looking for ideas?

JRSC00LUDE
02-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Eat your normal balanced meals with the addition of PGX fibre supplement.

http://www.naturalfactors.com/search.asp?mode=List&kw=pgx

Does work well if taken with supper to ease the cravings. I like to eat at night ALL the time, I'll have supper and then eat again at 8 or 9 and again at 11 or 12. It's a wonder I'm not a big fat-ass yet. Nope, just an ass.

Toma
02-08-2007, 02:03 PM
I didn't read all the expert advice... but one thing in the human body really supresses apetite.... serotonin (5HT). Problem is, you cant take it in a pill... it is synthesized from tryptophan.

So.... if you can find it, take a tryptophan supplement in the am and the pm... its hard to find, a doctor can perscribe it if its still banned in Canada.

Then, do things that naturally to raise serotonin levels.... EXERCISE
Eat more protein (its a hunger suppressor for other reasons)

And finally.... carbs release serotonin. The trick is to eat a pure carb snack, half hour to 45 minutes before a meal. No fat, no protein, just a small carb snack, 150 calories tops of anything... fruit cup, crackers whatever... just remember has to be almost 100% carbs, 150 calories max.

This release before the meal will help you eat less during the meal. Have one carb snack after your dinner... 2 hours or so, and eat nothing else before bed.

It may take a few days, but as your seratonin levels build up, you will day by day feel a little less and less hungry...

Darkane
02-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Toma
I didn't read all the expert advice... but one thing in the human body really supresses apetite.... serotonin (5HT). Problem is, you cant take it in a pill... it is synthesized from tryptophan.

So.... if you can find it, take a tryptophan supplement in the am and the pm... its hard to find, a doctor can perscribe it if its still banned in Canada.

Then, do things that naturally to raise serotonin levels.... EXERCISE
Eat more protein (its a hunger suppressor for other reasons)

And finally.... carbs release serotonin. The trick is to eat a pure carb snack, half hour to 45 minutes before a meal. No fat, no protein, just a small carb snack, 150 calories tops of anything... fruit cup, crackers whatever... just remember has to be almost 100% carbs, 150 calories max.

This release before the meal will help you eat less during the meal. Have one carb snack after your dinner... 2 hours or so, and eat nothing else before bed.

It may take a few days, but as your seratonin levels build up, you will day by day feel a little less and less hungry...

That might work for some people. Insulin will still be high consuming the meal afterwards which is not a good thing. Also, Why not eat before bed? Most of everything happens when we sleep so I make sure im stocked up on protein before I sleep. at least 50-60G for me with a little fat. NEVER carbs before bed though.

Toma
02-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

That might work for some people. .....

No, its human biochemistry, it works for all people.

150 calories is almost negligable.

Protein before bed on a non low carb diet is converted mostly into fat.

Darkane
02-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Toma

No, its human biochemistry, it works for all people.

150 calories is almost negligable.

Protein before bed on a non low carb diet is converted mostly into fat.

Losing fat is best when eating 5-6 meals a day. Assuming a "Carb snack" premeal for only 3 of those meals and all of a sudden 450 calories must be subtracted from the total of the day. If your a smaller guy you might only be on a 2200calorie/day meal anyway.

Also Toma can you explain why protein would be turned to fat during a steady carb diet and not a low carb diet? Im confused with this one. The only reason I can think of is the body is so use to producing Insulin it would produce it even for a pure protein/fat meal and then break it down to glucose then to fat storage. Perhaps thats why 6hour Carb cutoff before bed works so well. bring the body into a minor Ketosis so Insulin stays calm and the protein is synthesized by the lean body mass. :thumbsup: