PDA

View Full Version : Cable Installation Job

Bushy
01-20-2007, 08:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone here did cable installation for telus or shaw? Looking at getting a job and was hoping to get some information and feedback about the job and companies. If so please pm me. Thanks

GTS Jeff
01-21-2007, 04:55 AM
It is the balls.

SikAssR1
01-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Bushy
I was wondering if anyone here did cable installation for telus or shaw? Looking at getting a job and was hoping to get some information and feedback about the job and companies. If so please pm me. Thanks

If you work hard enough you can make over 100k being a installer for Shaw.

doublepostwhore
01-22-2007, 06:27 PM
^ Try Satilite install for sat city/bell.

You get to be a contractor (like shaw) but they supply vehicule/all tools. all you buy is cable.

Pay is 20$ base plus comish (whatever they have to buy extra)

A close friend of mine is doing this concurrently with school so you can Pt/ or Ft it.

Plus Kasem works in the office hahahah.

ninspeed
01-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Get in to comerical installs. I work part time for a guy on weekends once in awhile.. make 34$/hr running cat5 at new wharehouses and comerical places

5hift
01-22-2007, 06:42 PM
^
where would one look for jobs like that, when I search on monster or sites like it, all I come across is a million of the same ad for some calling center.

Supa Dexta
01-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Got a buddy in fort mac, first yr doing installs for telus and hes makin sumtin like 80k.. I was out to dinner with him the other night, and he was saying he enjoys it, good times, good place to work..

Sophal
01-23-2007, 09:29 PM
http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/AboutShaw/Careers/Installers.htm

A couple of my friends are Unit base installers. They love what they do and they also love the money they make. It takes alot of money to start up with buying tools, ladders and other stuff, having a truck or van is required but you could use a company van but you take a little pay cut. When you do get hired on. You start off as a national installer so some travel is require outside of calgary and after a year you can pick to be in a city.

Bushy
02-13-2007, 03:00 AM
Update: I recently applied with telus. $18.50/hr to start. After probation you get your own van provided(gas covered), and cell and laptop. And you choose the area to work(i applied for southwest calgary)I passed the tests, and took the interview a few days ago. After they contact my references they said ill be hearing from them. My buddy recently got a job there as well and referred me. Sure hope I get it!

Stine
02-15-2007, 10:02 PM
as for shaw/telus any hope in doing south of calgary installs? as I dont like to drive to the city every day.... :)

Hash_man
02-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Used to work for telus doing comercial installs, was a really good job, and ended up making really good money.

I would do it again if I could.

Bushy
02-20-2007, 11:09 PM
I live in Okotoks and the closest I could get was sw calgary(shawnessy/canyon meadows). But when they spread there cable service to include okotoks im gointo defiantely transfer. But south calgary is alot closer to than where i work now down town, so im looking forward to starting next week.

Inthered
02-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Just got on with Telus this past monday doing I&R. It's a good job so far. Installing NIB's (network installation boxes with fiber and a 4 pair) in new houses in Coventry and others areas soon. It helps that I have 5yrs previous experience doing cable installations. I will be supervising 5 guys that have been there a month or two next week. Kinda funny I'm doing that so soon but the other guys don't have a clue how to even hold a damn tool.

Good luck man. What department you in?

Bushy
03-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Im I&R as well, training in okotoks, but will be working in south west calgary.

3 weeks in i REALLY enjoy it. Its alot more challenging than any other job ive done, and telus is actually a great company to work for. They cover practically ALL expenses inc company vehicle, tools, $100 boot allowance, clothing, schooling... To any one interested id definately recommend it.