PDA

View Full Version : I hate these threads... Car insurance help

The Cosworth
01-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Hey guys,

I know what cars I like but I am finding that the insurances rates are insane. I have a guy who works insurance and is on here getting me quotes sometime next week.

I wanted to get a GTi but it was going to cost me over $5000 for insurance (full coverage)

So I need help choosing a car that is sporty and fun, but wont be sporty and fun to the insurance company.

To give you an understanding I am paying $1900 a year for my Camry right now so that is a huge premium because of the sportiness of the car.

I was thinking of a new impreza, STis are to much money.

I could afford up to about $30G's.

A nice 4 door would be nice, nothing older than 2001/2002.

Here is what else I am thinking

Impreza
Used RSX
Used Celica
Toyota Corolla

Not sure what else, I don't think Rabbits are sporty enough, and Cobalts are out because they are to much like a civic, every high school kid has one.

The Cosworth
01-21-2007, 04:03 PM
I should clarify, I am looking for Ideas on other vehicals

Lo)2enz0
01-21-2007, 04:06 PM
which insurance company are you with?

i would say check out some wrx's if you want to look into subaru

The Cosworth
01-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Johnson's right now

But will most likely be moving to Diamond.

Yeah I will look at the Impreza's, Think the 36000 wrx is to much money.

What else is sort of in that catagory

Lo)2enz0
01-21-2007, 04:32 PM
check out monex. i have been with them for 5 years and have been happy.

hey if i were you i would buy a benz c230 kompressor (the sedan, not the hatch)

The Cosworth
01-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah I am an TT w/ ASET, so I should get a deal through them

Thanks

guessboi
01-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Johnson's insurance is Renfrew (broker) and they have a contract with Royal and Sun insurance I believe for their personal line business. (Correct me if I am wrong)
Diamond insurance is a brokerage as well, they probably have insurance through ING, Royal and Sun, Aviva, Dominion, etc.
I will say get a quote from them and try RBC, TD and state farm. :)

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-21-2007, 07:10 PM
I know TD gives awesome quotes. I'm w/ Royal sun and alliance... :thumbsdow

As for cars... Do you want more sporty or luxury?

I'd say an older WRX or STi.
MazdaSpeed 3/6?
I love the look of the last gen celicas, but no one ever talks about them... maybe reliability/modding issues?

RSX-S or bust IMO if your going that route... newer the better... you could to pick up an 06 Type S, I heard they we're clearing stock on them, but they're probably all gone by now.

rage2
01-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
To give you an understanding I am paying $1900 a year for my Camry right now so that is a huge premium because of the sportiness of the car.
If they think a Camry is "sporty" then I think you're SOL in choosing anything else that may be fun while keeping premiums low.

hjr
01-21-2007, 09:44 PM
sporty camry, hehehe. oh my that brightened my day

Impreza
01-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Well, if you have problems with the insurance rate on the GTI, you will encounter the same with Impreza's, RSX's, Celica's, etc.

Some background information on you would help though. Any prior claims through your insurance company? How old are you? How many years have you been insured? How many years have you had your drivers licence?

$5000 is awfully high though. When I was looking at the new GTI, I got insurance quotes of ~$3000/year(at the time, I was 21). Right now, I drive an S2000 and my insurance is ~$2700/year, and I am 22 with no at-fault accidents, so $5000 is ALOT.

Masked Bandit
01-21-2007, 10:00 PM
When you have time Brendan...give me a call and we can go through pretty much anything on the market and play with different coverages. PM me if you lost the number

Cheers!
Bill

max_boost
01-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
Hey guys,

I know what cars I like but I am finding that the insurances rates are insane. I have a guy who works insurance and is on here getting me quotes sometime next week.

I wanted to get a GTi but it was going to cost me over $5000 for insurance (full coverage)

So I need help choosing a car that is sporty and fun, but wont be sporty and fun to the insurance company.

I was thinking of a new impreza, STis are to much money.

I could afford up to about $30G's.

A nice 4 door would be nice, nothing older than 2001/2002.

Here is what else I am thinking

Impreza
Used RSX
Used Celica
Toyota Corolla

Not sure what else, I don't think Rabbits are sporty enough, and Cobalts are out because they are to much like a civic, every high school kid has one.

How old are you? I gave my brother my 03 RSX-S and he's 17. Part time driver under my parents and it's $2800/year. You want a sporty car, you have to pay to play dude. ;)

Originally posted by Impreza
Well, if you have problems with the insurance rate on the GTI, you will encounter the same with Impreza's, RSX's, Celica's, etc.

Some background information on you would help though. Any prior claims through your insurance company? How old are you? How many years have you been insured? How many years have you had your drivers licence?

$5000 is awfully high though. When I was looking at the new GTI, I got insurance quotes of ~$3000/year(at the time, I was 21). Right now, I drive an S2000 and my insurance is ~$2700/year, and I am 22 with no at-fault accidents, so $5000 is ALOT.

:werd:
My insurance didn't get cheap until I turned 21 and had five years of accident and ticket free on my record. My premium were similar to yours at that time.

I'm 25 now and been with Statefarm for the past 4 years.

The Cosworth
01-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by rage2

If they think a Camry is "sporty" then I think you're SOL in choosing anything else that may be fun while keeping premiums low.

I never said they think it and I doubt they do.

I'm just not taking a 250% insurance hike because of the car with a $600 a month payment

The Cosworth
01-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Impreza

My insurance currently sucks! I have one claim and one ticket (related to the accident), have no other claims.

Bill (see below) quoted me at 600 less for my Camry, but I knew I was getting a new car and didn't want to waste the time to get it reinspected.

Im looking more for ideas than for actual price of insurance, I can call and ask for that, I am just having brain farts coming up with more cars.

I was thinking the new Altima's are pretty bad ass and are about 32.

When you have time Brendan...give me a call and we can go through pretty much anything on the market and play with different coverages. PM me if you lost the number

Cheers!
Bill

already have, emailed you today :P

xrayvsn
01-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Man, I'm glad I am old - my 2006 STI costs me $1200 a year, and was $1030 a year when I did not drive it to work. I switched from State Farm because they wanted almost double for the same coverage, so shop around.

You may be able to get a WRX wagon and save on the insurance compared to the WRX sedan. If you decide on the WRX, seriously consider buying the 2.5L from 2006-2007. Have you looked into importing a new/slightly used one from the US? This may be an option if you are not looking to buy new and finance/lease.

Good idea with thinking of a 4 door, like the Altima as these usually cost less to insure. How about a Mazda 3, or importing a Mazdaspeed 3? A Beyond member just imported one and saved about $2000 over the Canadian version. http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=66834.0

DepTrotter
01-23-2007, 06:10 PM
If you want anything under 5k none of those cars will fit that

Insurance companies know everything about vehicles so you are shit out of luck unless you buy a 4dr or a minivan.

Anything with 2 doors will fuck you

good luck?

danno
01-23-2007, 06:56 PM
well i swore i wouldn't buy a new car till i was 25 for that reason, but i got a quote for my new 07 gti and it was only 1500 for the year. i can handle paying that for a new car. i'm 23 with no claims

i would say either suck it up for a few more years and drive a beater or pay to play