PDA

View Full Version : Its Done.

Corrado1.8T
05-21-2003, 12:05 PM
Went up to edmonton on friday and picke up my bike. Liked my buddies 954rr so much i bought one.:thumbsup:

kevie88
05-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Cool! Enjoy it but be careful! (and get a steering damper ASAP)

bol
05-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
Cool! Enjoy it but be careful! (and get a steering damper ASAP)

how important would a steering damper be on a R6 kevin? or are 954rrs notorious for getting into tank slapper

kevie88
05-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by bol

how important would a steering damper be on a R6 kevin? or are 954rrs notorious for getting into tank slapper

I kinda think they're necessary on just about any modern sportbike, They get nasty when accelerating hard over ripples or bumps while straight up n' down or leaned over slightly. The chute onto the straight at Race City is particularly bad, I've left some 100ft long "black snakes" onto the straightaway when I rode without a damper. Luckily I've never crashed from one, but I know more than a few guys that have.

The R6's arent bad stock but the 954's are kinda well known for having extreme front end geometry, some roadracing friends have them and all of them ended up getting a damper after a couple of weeks following Sphincter-loosening moments..:D

bol
05-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

all of them ended up getting a damper after a couple of weeks following Sphincter-loosening moments..:D

haha

who makes some good ones for the R6 or are they fairly generic. Only name that comes to my mind is ohlins.

never ridden a bike with a damper though, does it effect low speed manuverability much or does steering just require a little more muscle.

kevie88
05-21-2003, 01:17 PM
Generally they're adjustable so you can have as much or as little resistance as you like. I usually run mine around 50-70% of the adjustment, and the only time I really notice it is in the left-right-left (or right-left-right :D ) flicks, it needs a little more muscle.
Definately won't hurt on the street!

I don't know if a person needs to spend the big bucks to get an Ohlins or Scotts, I've had good luck with the low buck Daytona ones in the past. Not nearly the same Bling-Bling factor tho!

Corrado1.8T
05-21-2003, 04:15 PM
whats your opinion on the Scotts damper?

bol
05-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Corrado1.8T
whats your opinion on the Scotts damper?

they seem solid and well recommended... i'm considering one too

bigboom
05-21-2003, 05:57 PM
if you have the money i would definetly go ohlins...you cant go wrong with them...really nicely finished piece too

2M6
05-26-2003, 10:09 PM
Other companies to look at are Toby, Matris...