PDA

View Full Version : Auto Detailer--good job or not????

smokedog
01-22-2007, 02:27 AM
anyone here work as an auto detailer....is it good for a part-time job????

Whitetiger
01-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by smokedog
anyone here work as an auto detailer....is it good for a part-time job???? Pretty fun when you're 18-20

cressida_pimpin
01-22-2007, 07:29 AM
pm +GoOdS+. i know he was an auto detailer.

Canmorite
01-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Depends where you are going to work. Sometimes it can be a a bitch (Stains, tar, etc) but if you're working on nice vehicles it's worth it.

Evolize
01-22-2007, 09:43 AM
detailing at chrysler dealers sucks

Hi-Psi
01-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Detailing is pretty good if you enjoy and take pride in making vehicles look good.

Detailing at Country Hills Toyota is pretty good!

Jay

ogpog
01-22-2007, 10:09 AM
I got two friends who detail at Jack Carters. The one that does prep for new vehicles to go on showroom, or pre-customer pickup loves his job, and is totally into it. The other friend who does the used cars, and cars people bring in is starting to hate his job, and doesnt have much to say about it.:dunno: Guess it depends what you're into, and what position you get into.

Evolize
01-22-2007, 11:24 AM
ogpog what movie is your sig from, with the kickass crotch gun?

ogpog
01-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Evolize
ogpog what movie is your sig from, with the kickass crotch gun?
haha, i wish i knew. I found it on another site, and had to have it.

TeamBestBud
01-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by ogpog

haha, i wish i knew. I found it on another site, and had to have it.

Lol, love the sig dude:rofl:

Whitetiger
01-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by CMSjay
Detailing is pretty good if you enjoy and take pride in making vehicles look good.

Detailing at Country Hills Toyota is pretty good!

Jay

+1 for Country Hills detailing

method
01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
used vehicle cleans are the pains in the ass. doing a 'showroom clean' for a new vehicle is cake.

never worked as a detailer, but I spent plenty of time slacking off in the detailing bay :rofl:

Hi-Psi
01-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Whitetiger

+1 for Country Hills detailing setup... say hi to Charmaine Bear. (you know who you are)

Abner was the shit when I was working there, just watch cus you'll be acting gay your second shift, it's an interesting relationship you have with the detailers there lol

Jay

Evolize
01-22-2007, 12:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m6nRM84vxw

Evolize
01-22-2007, 12:14 PM
hey cmsjay - is abner black and drive a black vw?

Hi-Psi
01-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Nah, he's Philipino and drives a white Corolla

Jay

Whitetiger
01-23-2007, 12:26 AM
What have you decided on OP?

ogpog
01-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Whitetiger
bye bye rip bones.

Whats a rip bone?

Police
01-23-2007, 12:45 AM
I worked for budget in the summer as a detailer, it wasn't too bad for a part time job to fuck around. Rental cars aren't too dirty.

Proboscis
01-23-2007, 01:42 AM
it's a good job, I like to imagine that it is my ride getting cleaned, everybody loves a clean car.

Whitetiger
01-23-2007, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by ogpog

Whats a rip bone?

Oh, me so sorrlie about technicality... *** Edit *** RIB-bone

Originally posted by Police
I worked for budget in the summer as a detailer, it wasn't too bad for a part time job to fuck around. Rental cars aren't too dirty.

I beg to differ, a lot of summer renters don't give a shit about how they leave their vehicles. I've seen dirty diapers, to oil rig industrial strength mud in rental cars.

:thumbsdow

Eleanor
01-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Evolize
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m6nRM84vxw

wtfbbq?

silver_gs-R
01-30-2007, 11:56 PM
its good for a younger person, who maybe wants to save money to keep going with school, but as a career..... definetely not...

Dayclone
01-30-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

wtfbbq?

ROFLMAO that movie is funny

wizardofnos
01-31-2007, 02:14 PM
I have a small detail shop here in Edmonton, and do work for a few local companies.
It has its ups and downs ( I've seen some pretty nasty cars come through my shop, (vomit, dirty diapers), but for the most part its not too bad. The last few years I've worked on some really wild rides. I don't concentrate on interiors much anymore ( I've got a couple of U of A girls detailing interiors part time), because I'm slowly getting a solid rep for what we'll call paint revival. I've had some pretty amazing results the last 2 years with some high end autos.

The pro's:
You get a decent clientel and rep, and you'll be working on some of the finest, fastest rides in the province.
Ex: A 7 series Beemer rolled through my shop, for a glaze, ( midnight blue, nice color), about 14 hrs later ( I spend quit a bit of time on my cars) he returned, loved it, to the tune of $950.
Ex: Some other cars I've worked: Ferrari, Vipers, Z-06's, Porches ( some nasty fast ones), Beemers & Benz, and 1 Bently GT. I've had Gen III RX-7's done up, some done up Lexus', and some major hardcore Musclecars ( 700-800hp street cars), and many show cars. (glazing is my specialty)

The cons:
When you get someones auction buy ( a flip ), and you get to clean carpets that have puke, baby shit, crunched up boxes of crackers, mud, hay, rocks, and lots of pepsi. ( Yes I'm refering to one car I did ). That really sucks.

The one and only warning I give you:

DON'T EVER BURN THE PAINT!!!

That will destroy you rep as a detailer.

I've never burned or scorched the paint on a car, in the 7 years I've been doing this.

Get a fender or panel from a wrecker and PRACTICE first.

Hope this helps