PDA

View Full Version : Resume Experience

stealth
01-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Well here is the situation.

Fresh out of school I got a job with a major oil company. Not really in the department that I wanted, but I took what I was offered.

After 2 months I quit, to go back to school to get more education, and get into the career I wanted.

Now in my field of work, experience is great on your resume.

But is it good to put on a place, that you only worked with for 2 months?

Will that look bad on my resume?

Thanks

Audio_Rookie
01-22-2007, 09:14 PM
I setup my resume in chronological order and only show years worked.....

If they want to hear more about you, then you can tell them.

2 months is a bit short though.....like.....really...short

DUBBED
01-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Depends how your resume is structured. If you have any relevant accomplishments from that job then I would include it, if not, I would just make a small bullet that simply says you were employed there.

stealth
01-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Yea I don't really know what to do here, I get the impression, that im giving the vibe, that I am not stable...

Euro_Trash
01-22-2007, 09:26 PM
If your field of work is oil, I personally think that a reference is much more valuable than your resume. If you have good references from those 2 months, which I doubt you do (it's hard to jude one's work ethic, interest in a job and learning ability in a 2 month span), than add it on there, and make sure to use someone from that company as a reference.
If you don't have a reference, I think that having a job for only 2 months looks worse than not having it on your resume. They could intrepret it like you don't commit to your job or something along those lines

Euro_Trash
01-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Do you have any other jobs you could put on there? At least 2 or 3 good jobs?

stealth
01-22-2007, 09:30 PM
In my career I have one other job, that is already on my resume which is in the Petrochemical Industry, and that was part of my Co-op program for school.

I have many great references from them.

The rest are part time jobs that I had in highschool...

I guess I should remove the one where I was at for only 2 months.

Because before that I got two job offers in 1 month...

Euro_Trash
01-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Good plan. You could incldue those part time jobns, because employers are going to be more focused on that petrochemical job you have now, since it will more apply to a future career.
Just curious, what is your actual position (or fuiture position I guess)?

stealth
01-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Right now I am still a student...

So I have no job haha.

But the job where I only lasted 2 months, was as a Power Engineer.

The one where I was in the petrochemical field, I also was a Power Engineer.

Euro_Trash
01-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Oh right on, I always found that kind of stuff very interesting. Anyways, good luck with writing your resume! That was always my least favorite part about the job search

Slashin_
01-22-2007, 09:48 PM
u need mininium 3 months at the job before they give you reference.......you can put down the job as exp but when it comes down to reference you cant really put it down.....

Euro_Trash
01-22-2007, 09:53 PM
I've never heard that it HAS to be 3 months, I don't see why it would...

Audio_Rookie
01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
what are you talking about? if its a guy in higher authority than him and he worked there it can be a reference.....

probation period has nothing to do with references.....this if the place has a probation period....

stealth
01-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
I've never heard that it HAS to be 3 months, I don't see why it would...

Yea same here, as long as you approach your superintendent/supervisor and ask for permission, or something to that nature.

Euro_Trash
01-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Exactly ^^^ both posts above

Audio_Rookie
01-22-2007, 09:58 PM
shit my mom has a reference letter and everything for a 2 week position lol, from the general manager...

Supa Dexta
01-22-2007, 10:41 PM
yeah really only good if it highlights something, or they liked you and will be a good reference.. If I have something short that was just a hold me over position in my past, I don't bother...