PDA

View Full Version : The Barrett Jackson cars of the future

Redlyne_mr2
01-22-2007, 09:09 PM
With all the Barrett Jackson coverage lately I feel it's a fitting time to discuss this topic. Do you guys think that in 30-40 years from now any of todays cars will be considered classic enough to be sold through Barrett Jackson for large amounts of money? There doesn't seem to be any cars produced today solely for homologation purposes, no rare models with rare options, even the enzo was made in large enough numbers not to really be considered limited by Barrett Jackson standards. Any thoughts?

waypastfast
01-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Subaru WRX STi 04/05 FTW!!

doublepostwhore
01-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Maybe the Lancer EVO IX only 200 will be made.

Foose modded Mustangs only 500 will be made.

Mclaren f1 most likely.

I dont know, we dont really have many "trend setting" - "stop you in your tracks" kind of specialty cars like back when.

Manufactures these days are far to concerned with profit, and not enough in touch witht he real people who buy cars for the enjoyment, not just the grocery getting.

Even the grocery getters of the 60's like the road runers/mustangs were capable of doing the 1.4 in 10 seconds.

no car TODAY stock sub 300K can claim this.

hjr
01-22-2007, 11:06 PM
there may be a time when mkIV supra's and 300zx turbo's may be worth collector money. but that is dependent on the current supply being severely limited due to people baggin the shit out of them and then junking them (think mustangs). if enough end up in junk yards, then an nice -clean - low mileage -STOCK car could be worth some niiiice coin

Intent_Fire
01-22-2007, 11:10 PM
perhaps in many years the Veyron will eventually make it up there..
Not because it is classy but because all the people who used to own em wrote them off by hitting a telephone pole going 350 and there is only a couple left in the world. haha

b_t
01-22-2007, 11:19 PM
any car with a pretty substandard normal model that also had a ridiculously fast top model

these are obvious..
300ZX twin turbo
3000GT twin turbo
Supra twin turbos already are collectibles ha
FD3S RX-7
FC3S RX-7 10th Anniversary

then these...
Mazdaspeed Protege (super limited numbers, cool car)
Integra Type R
1997-1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD all numbers matching (they all have swaps now and they only sold like 4,000 of them anyway)
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Subaru STi
Any of the SRT cars, especially the Crossfire SRT-6

and so on... all that really matters is build numbers, nobody gives a flying fuck about the actual car. Only thing is, the base models are usually junked before anybody wants one so it seems like only the top models command big premiums at the auction.

Proboscis
01-23-2007, 01:27 AM
first gen civics! cvcc. well the the second gen. first ones looked like the mini cooper (i think)

aypi
01-23-2007, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by doublepostwhore
Maybe the Lancer EVO IX only 200 will be made.

:confused: i think there are 2000 not 200!

three.eighteen.
01-23-2007, 01:04 PM
e30 m3s, esp evo models, same with those MB 2.3 16vs, e36 m3 ltws, can't think of any japanese cars though, maybe when 90% of all ITRs are bagged and beaten, and a few 30,000km examples are to be had

sputnik
01-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Think along these lines...

Rarity

- Were there limited numbers of these cars built? Does it have a rare engine/trans combination? Does it have any other rare parts or rare paint colour? Another thing to consider is just the rarity of the car in general. If the car was a McLaren F1 there arent that many of them, but they are ALL babied. Try thinking of a car that was ahead of its time where most of them were driven to the bone and eventually scrapped.

Stock

- Is everything on the car stock? Or are the modifications tasteful and period correct? You will NEVER see a Japanese car with an ugly bodykit cross the stage at Barrett Jackson. Unless of course it was a rare model that a prominent dealer installed (like Yenko, Baldwin Motion were in the 60s)

Mileage

- Is it a low mileage car? Anything over 50,000 km can no longer be considered low mileage.

Historical Significance

- Is there anything significant about the car? Most cars these days are pretty cookie-cutter when comparing models.

My thoughts on exotic cars...

- Exotic and luxury cars are expensive but they are still depreciating rapidly. Even Ferraris arent able to hold their value unless they are an Enzo. Have you looked at the price of 4 year old M3s? Those are hardly a collector car. Remember that most of the cars crossing the auction block at Barrett Jackson are cars that most common people drove. Sure the HEMI option was about $1200 extra at the time, but thats what made it rare (because most wouldnt bother with the expense). Its kinda like the difference between a WRX and an STi but double the price of the STI and see how many still sell.

I think it will be a LONG time before you see cars newer than 1975 getting big dollars at Barrett Jackson.

I laughed when I watched the 78 Corvette Pace Car with 17 original miles sell for $33,000 USD. The guy lost a ton of money keeping a somewhat rare car in his garage and never drove it.

the_new_santa1
01-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Most of you guys might think this is stupid but i think crx's will be a collectors item...They are a light nice little platform, i am going to pick one up and fix it up then garage store it for a few years....:burnout:

msommers
01-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Pretty much any serious performance vehicle that everyone thinks isn't a big deal now, will most likely be.

My opinion on valued stock cars in 40 years:

Z32 300zx twin turbo convertible 5 speeds

R32 Nissan Skyline GTR Nismo and V-spec editions

Mark IV Toyota Supra

E30 BMW M3

4th Generation Ford Mustang Saleen Editions

Your top of the line, corvettes, Vipers, Ford GTs

Exotics like the Lotus Esprit V8 TT, Porsche 911 GT2/3's, Porsche 911's GT2/3 and 928's CS and SE

I'm sure there are more but the fewer made, most likely the more popular and valued, provided condition is still excellent. If I had the wallet and drive for an older model muscle car, Barrett Jackson would be the only place I'd go.

craigcd
01-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by the_new_santa1
Most of you guys might think this is stupid but i think crx's will be a collectors item...They are a light nice little platform, i am going to pick one up and fix it up then garage store it for a few years....:burnout:

Maybe if you had a very low mileage non modded original CRX it might be worth something.

Think it is rare to find a CRX that hasnt been hacked up.

NickGT
01-23-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm sure there's more, but here's a few mustangs that may find their way in.

Any Saleen or Roush Mustang

1979-1993 Mustang 5.0L
1985-1986 Mustang SVO
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra
1993 Mustang SVT Cobra R
1994-1998 Mustang SVT Cobra
1995 Mustang SVT Cobra R
1996 Mustang Mystichrome SVT Cobra
1999 and 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra
2000 Mustang SVT Cobra R
2001 Mustang Bullitt Edition
2003-2004 Mustang Mach1
2003-2004 Mustang SVT Cobra
2004 Mustang Mystichrome SVT Cobra
2007 Shelby Mustang GT500

Good condition, low mileage, and stock parts will all be factors as others have mentioned.

boarderfatty
01-23-2007, 11:09 PM
I think most or the M series BMW's the older, the more dollars they will bring, then if there are and factory modified ones such as Dinan ones, AC Schnitzer, or CSL models

sneek
01-23-2007, 11:14 PM
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18207

all i can say is wow!

Supa Dexta
01-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by sneek
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18207

all i can say is wow!

you mean the arms on that chick?

:rofl:

sneek
01-23-2007, 11:22 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Moe Man
01-23-2007, 11:33 PM
There are alot of cars that have been made now a days that we have no clue about or never heard of. Its not like when they made the Hemi Cuda back in the 70's, they expected it to be worth 500 geez now. So who knows a Cadillac STS could be worth 200 geez in 40 years

calgarys13
01-24-2007, 12:06 AM
nismo z tune FTW

4WARNED
01-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Buick Grand Nationals, SS Impala's, GMC Syclone / Typhoons....etc...

And i agree with the earlier post about Saleen's and Roush...even lingenfelter, Callaway, etc....

Subaru 22B....

GT4rally
03-09-2009, 08:00 PM
-Audi UR Quattro Coupe/Sport ('82-'89)
-BMW E30 M3 ('87-91)
-BMW E28 M5 ('86-'88)
-BMW E34 M5 ('89-'94)
-BMW E24 M6 ('84-89)
-BMW E36 M Coupe ('98-'02)
-Mustang SVO ('84-'86)
-GMC Syclone/Typhoon ('91-'93)
-Buick Grand National ('82-'87)
-Plymouth Prowler ('97-'02)
-Viper GTS ('96-'02)
-Mitsubishi Evo V and VI ('98-'01)
-Subaru 22B ('98)
-Acura NSX ('90-?)
-Lancia Delta HF Integrale/Evo/S4 ('85-'94)
-Lancia Stratos ('72-74)
-Callaway C4 Corvette ('87-'88)
-Corvette Grand Sport C4 ('96)
-Saleen Mustang ('89-'93)

Graham_A_M
03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
^ Good job bumping a two+ year old thread. ;)

GT4rally
03-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Good job bumping a two+ year old thread. ;)

I didn't know this subject had an expiration date... thanks for the input though.

Gibson
03-10-2009, 02:11 AM
I know it's an old thread, but I would just like to throw the Zonda into this list. Especially the Roadster F.

Eleanor
03-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Anyone else thinking that the 300C will go down as a design classic?

Moe Man
03-10-2009, 04:48 PM
i just got one of these, no one probably even knows what it is but these are cars that will be worth something many years from now.

"This cas was the first to use HID headlights, not Mercedes or Lexus, but the Lincoln Mark VIII! It was also the first to use puddle lamps, those small floodlights built into the bottom of the rear view mirrors to light you entrance at night.

And most interesting of all this car's great innovations and features is it's ability to lower itself at highway speeds. At about 50mph the car lowers itself to the ground for better aerodynamics, performance, and fuel mileage."

http://www.dftowel.com/lscsale/index.html

euro_racer
03-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Mint, low mileadge.....
-dodge stealth/3000gto's
-Oldschool vw's??
-Acura nsx
-Chorvette zo6
-pontiac soulstice/ saturn sky?
-mazdaspeed miata
-srt (anything) dodge/chrysler
-mustang cobra/ saleen
-skyline gtr
-amg mercedes
-///M-trim bmw
-audi rs4 (the old avant)

There is a few cars I can imagine being worthy, although I don't think they would sell for as much as the current "classics" due to factors such as materials and build quality not being same IMO.

Deetz
03-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by craigcd

Maybe if you had a very low mileage non modded original CRX it might be worth something.

Think it is rare to find a CRX that hasnt been hacked up.

It will because of thhis reason the crx will be worth big bucks in prime condition.

Rarity brings value

kevie88
03-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by doublepostwhore

Even the grocery getters of the 60's like the road runers/mustangs were capable of doing the 1.4 in 10 seconds.

no car TODAY stock sub 300K can claim this.

That's not true at all, almost all 60's muscle cars were >13 second cars stock..

Most people like to look at muscle cars with rose colored glasses on. Any 60's muscle car I've driven really has been a big pig with a big motor.. all they do is spin the tires.

Revhard
03-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

That's not true at all, almost all 60's muscle cars were >13 second cars stock..

Most people like to look at muscle cars with rose colored glasses on. Any 60's muscle car I've driven really has been a big pig with a big motor.. all they do is spin the tires.

This is mostly true. You need only look at the super stock classes and such to see how these old beasts perform with a ton of massaging...
10's are rare, and 11's are not common. 12's all day.
I'm a huge fan of the musclecars, always will be, but the "rose-coloured glasses" is a very true statement.
Look at the new corvette, 10's with slicks. But hey, the old cars could do that with carbs and bias=ply tires too, right?

badatusrnames
03-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by GT4rally

I didn't know this subject had an expiration date... thanks for the input though.

:werd: If he made a new thread, someone would shout repost at him. The topic is still valid.

Originally posted by Deetz

It will because of thhis reason the crx will be worth big bucks in prime condition.

Rarity brings value

:werd:

People mention 300ZX Twin Turbos. A mint, unaltered one already commands a high price, I've seen eBay auctions hit 40k for low-mileage (there was one with 5K miles I believe), original condition, clean Z's in the states. With the far majority of the existing pool in the states being modified in some way, the unmodified & mint cars will definitely command a high price in the future due to their scarcity as well as the history of the car itself (being a Z car, having timeless lines/design and being a world beater in terms of performance at the time of its release). Same could be said with Mk IV Supra's.

Of course, they won't be in the same class as a rare exotic....

kevie88
03-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Revhard

This is mostly true. You need only look at the super stock classes and such to see how these old beasts perform with a ton of massaging...
10's are rare, and 11's are not common. 12's all day.
I'm a huge fan of the musclecars, always will be, but the "rose-coloured glasses" is a very true statement.
Look at the new corvette, 10's with slicks. But hey, the old cars could do that with carbs and bias=ply tires too, right?

I suppose if you throw enough money at anything it will go fast.. look at what people do with Civic's haha

I think if you want to get into the 12's with a stock musclecar you'd need drag slicks. They really don't wanna hook up:burnout: :burnout:

aln
03-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Porsche Carerra GT? I would pay big bucks to get a low km one already if i was rich. I could also see cars like the Lotus Exige, GT3RS going for a lot. I have never been a muscle car guy so I don't know anything about those. I worked on a Chevy Belair... lol

Al.Peffers
03-10-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Pontiac Aztec granted it wasn't too special(other than looks) it lived only 6 yrs and no one wanted one, how many do you see around town?

or dodge ram srt-10, the ram with viper guts...

badatusrnames
03-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Al.Peffers
Pontiac Aztec

In an odd sort of way maybe... as a curiosity. When GM is long gone, it will be held up as an example why.

dodge ram srt-10, the ram with viper guts...

Yeah, they weren't made for very long were they? What were the production numbers?

pattyt
03-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Pontiac Aztec

You know i was talking about this in the car today, that you just never see them anymore, and right when i said it a black one flew out of the right lane beside me and cut me off. :thumbsdow

As for classic cars, any trend setters are going to be huge. What about the Prius/Insight, ugly as F$#k, but the original ones probably arent too numerous these days.

AMG Black series cars? dunno

corsvette
03-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Old mopar muscle cars are hot,in the future i think the Shelby tuned cars,Shadow CSX,Omni GLH,and lancer shelby may be worth something if stock and left alone.Also the 92 Daytona IROC with the twin cam turbo is a very rare car and in 20 more years will be even more so.

atgilchrist
03-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by pattyt

As for classic cars, any trend setters are going to be huge. What about the Prius/Insight, ugly as F$#k, but the original ones probably arent too numerous these days.

Good call. i hate to say it, but I think you may be right. You just know that some greenie with too much money will overpay for an original green Insight in 25 years.

you&me
03-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by pattyt

You know i was talking about this in the car today, that you just never see them anymore, and right when i said it a black one flew out of the right lane beside me and cut me off. :thumbsdow

AMG Black series cars? dunno

Jay Leno recently said the he thinks the Prius is destined to be a future classic.

He also said he believes the first gen Miata will follow the tracks of the original Mustang; sure there are a lot of them, but that just means there are more people that love them and more people that will be nostalgic 40 years on.

Zondas and Enzos et al are not really BJ-type cars... they'll be sold at the RMs, Bonhams, Coys etc of the future. The BMW Z8 is destined to be a collector in this market.

corsvette
03-11-2009, 08:10 AM
another sure fire investment car,1989 Pontiac Trans Am 20th aniversary edition with the 3.8l turbo V6 from the grand national,the did not make many of these at all.

ZorroAMG
03-11-2009, 09:52 AM
500E for sure....collaboration between MB and Porsche...limited run, exterior and interior differences from the standard W124's - 92-94 only.

HipHopChronic
03-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Audi R8?

Neil4Speed
03-12-2009, 12:40 PM
I am biased, but I think that clean Legend Coupe 6-Speeds will definitely become collectors items in 10-15 years. Low Mileage examples are hard to come by.

In Canada, only 34, 1994 Legend 6-Speed coupes were sold. US Production numbers were also very low.

Another possible car is the 2003 Acura 3.2CL's with the 6-speed Transmission (only came in one year, also, limited numbers)

sputnik
03-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Call me insane.

I think NO current cars will ever have the same appeal and value of the cars pre-1969.

Cars today are mass produced and tame compared to the "tuner" cars of yesteryear.

If you started seeing dealerships start selling pre-modified cars you might have something worth hanging onto. Right now you really only have guys like Roush and Saleen.

However even these guys are cranking out WAY more than Yenko or Baldwin-Motion used to which still makes the Yenko and BA cars far more desirable.

01RedDX
03-12-2009, 01:44 PM