PDA

View Full Version : Planning on purchasing 8 Series, need feedback.

brownchild
01-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Planning on getting one imported, what do you guys think of these cars? I did the math on gas mileage shouldn't be to to bad, but then again i havent driven one so don't really know what to say yet. Other then that it would be real helpful to get some feedback from people who know about these cars. And no I wont be getting one for a daily driver, I just want a nice summer car.

hjr
01-23-2007, 01:34 PM
getting it from the states?

97'Scort
01-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Good luck finding parts. I don't know if I'd trust one.

brownchild
01-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Parts are never hard;), getting it from Overseas, to overpriced in N America. Anyways a V12 8 Series isnt a ride thats gonna break down often, and like I said its not my daily driver. Anddddddddddddddddddddddd only thing BMW about a 3 series is the emblem.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Weapon_R
01-23-2007, 02:21 PM
8 series never breaking down? LOL

Good luck man...

BerserkerCatSplat
01-23-2007, 02:48 PM
From what I've heard, the 8 Series was notoriously unreliable.

2EFNFAST
01-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by brownchild
Parts are never hard;), getting it from Overseas, to overpriced in N America. Anyways a V12 8 Series isnt a ride thats gonna break down often:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A3GTiVR6SC
01-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Parts are never hard;), getting it from Overseas, to overpriced in N America. Anyways a V12 8 Series isnt a ride thats gonna break down often, and like I said its not my daily driver. Anddddddddddddddddddddddd only thing BMW about a 3 series is the emblem.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bigger number isnt always better.

Parts might not be a problem because same engine came in the E32 750's, but just imagine working on that beast... I doubt most mechanics would even touch that engine. even if they did, imagine the Labor $$$...

also, You'd be surprised how weak those V12's are.
expecially for a V12, you would expect more.:thumbsdow

3 series would be more reliable then an 8 on average.
its common sense, more technology = more problems.

syeve
01-23-2007, 03:27 PM
only thing BMW about a 3 series is the emblem.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BURN

Nice civic :rofl:

BigMass
01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
what are you talking about, the 3 series pretty much defines BMW

cocoabrova
01-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I've been seriously considering buying an imported one also, but everytime I mention the thought of it to one of my homies (who's a tech @ a BMW stealership in town) he says he's going to slit his wrists if I actually go through with it:dunno:
:rofl:

95EagleAWD
01-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

x2.

BMW M3 isn't a real Bimmer? Or the twin turbo 335?

Okay.... :rolleyes:

scat19
01-23-2007, 05:40 PM

your a looser

1-Bar
01-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
I've been seriously considering buying an imported one also, but everytime I mention the thought of it to one of my homies (who's a tech @ a BMW stealership in town) he says he's going to slit his wrists if I actually go through with it:dunno:

haha I'm going to send him the link to this thread.....8 series is :bigpimp: British Racing Green with gold wheels!!

brownchild
01-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Theirs only a couple thousand made. Show some links, or tell some stories about actual peoples 8 series's breaking down, or being unreliable as a SUMMER CAR to prove your arguments. That was the whole reason for this thread anyways, not ranting. Ive been trying to get feedback for many weeks, all the research ive done on the internet showed no negative feedback from the actual owners, just rants from people "hearing" about so called stories. So if you got actual facts from legitimate links, or stories with significance stating that 8 Series BMW's are horrible cars, plz post. Im not trying to start a war, which always seems to be the reaction from Beyond members these days. Im just tryin to get helpful feedback. Thx.:bigpimp:

P.S.

Sorry for offending all the 3 series owners, just heard that joke from somebody, thought it was kinda funny.;)

brownchild
01-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by A3GTiVR6SC

bigger number isnt always better.

Parts might not be a problem because same engine came in the E32 750's, but just imagine working on that beast... I doubt most mechanics would even touch that engine. even if they did, imagine the Labor $$$...

also, You'd be surprised how weak those V12's are.
expecially for a V12, you would expect more.:thumbsdow

3 series would be more reliable then an 8 on average.
its common sense, more technology = more problems.

Buddy you drive a DSM dont talk about reliability, and like I said its not a daily driver only a nice summer cruising car that im gonna drive 7000Km a year tops. I dont need it to be reliable like a daily driver, such as 3 series, civics, accords, camrys etc... It's in a different class. Its a once in awhile car. And as for service, any BMW dealership will do it, I already contacted them and found that out.

tentacles
01-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I've never heard of any sort of recurring reliability issue with them, only stuff caused by poor maintainance. I think it's fair to say that since it's rare, parts for it will be expensive. It's a BMW, what do you expect? The later model V12s (not sure about the 91/92s) had emergency cylinder deactivation too, so if one of your gaskets blow or something half the engine shuts off and it turns into a really big 3 series, and you can still drive it to a shop. :thumbsup:

As for the HP, the engine is pretty small for a V12 (most V8s nowadays displace more) but has gobs of torque, so I'm sure it's still fun. I really don't think they look all that good in person though. Up close the car just looks mis-proportioned.

msommers
01-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

x2.

Don't forget the M5 too!! 3 series is the civic of BMW. When I think BMW, I think 7 series, no idea why but it is one the of the first hat come to mind. Then again, I'd take an E30 M3 over any of them:D

ninjak84
01-23-2007, 08:07 PM
As usual.... Lots of bullshit opinions up for grabs, and no concrete info.

I was looking at these too. They're incredibly affordable at purchase ($10-15k), but I know the gas and maintenance won't be as cheap. Especially if I decide to modify.... These are expensive cars, but I can't gauge if one is worth it or not....

It would be nice to have personal experiences posted.
People who have owned one, driven one, worked on one.... whatever.

smontyLS1
01-23-2007, 08:14 PM
a guy I work with has worked at bmw and lonestar mercedes working on benz, lotus, aston martin and bentleys. I trust his opinion when he says the engines are very weak. but they look great for sure and saying you have a v-12 is awesome. it is your call.

brownchild
01-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
As usual.... Lots of bullshit opinions up for grabs, and no concrete info.

I was looking at these too. They're incredibly affordable at purchase ($10-15k), but I know the gas and maintenance won't be as cheap. Especially if I decide to modify.... These are expensive cars, but I can't gauge if one is worth it or not....

It would be nice to have personal experiences posted.
People who have owned one, driven one, worked on one.... whatever.

Amen to that, gas and service shouldnt' be insanely bad if your only going to drive it for a couple of warm months, shouldnt compare to bad to corvettes for gas and service. And 7 series parts could be used if you have defective parts.

Need personal experiences from people who have owned one, driven one, worked on one, or know of someone having one.

brownchild
01-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by smontyLS1
a guy I work with has worked at bmw and lonestar mercedes working on benz, lotus, aston martin and bentleys. I trust his opinion when he says the engines are very weak. but they look great for sure and saying you have a v-12 is awesome. it is your call.

Not getting it for racing, thats why im buying an auto, if I wanted a racer I would buy an S2000. I want one for the rarity, the looks, and the luxury, and also because its known as a classic.

robpark
01-23-2007, 08:51 PM
I'd wager the 3 series is pretty much the best example of BMW... a reliable, fun, sporty car... How is that not BMW... If anything the 8 series is the worst representation for BMW because of its underwhelming power and reliability track record. BMW looks upon the 8 series as one of its 2 great failures (not BMW owners, BMW themselves). You can read about it in the book "The Complete Book Of Bmw: Every Model In The World Since 1962."

A3GTiVR6SC
01-23-2007, 09:03 PM
since you want to get the car to drive on weekends an not to bag the shit out of, you have nothing to worry about, its a bullet-proof engine. common problems with the e31 are fuel system, hydraulics an electronic problems.

if you got the $$ for the labour, then go for it.;)

(btw: my last car was a bimmer)

try bimmerforums.com, I think they have a few guys with 8's

tictactoe2004
01-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Anddddddddddddddddddddddd only thing BMW about a 3 series is the emblem.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TIm not trying to start a war, which always seems to be the reaction from Beyond members these days. Im just tryin to get helpful feedback. Thx.:bigpimp:

P.S.

Sorry for offending all the 3 series owners, just heard that joke from somebody, thought it was kinda funny.;)

Buddy you drive a DSM dont talk about reliability

and you want help from these people? :thumbsdow

3G
01-23-2007, 11:39 PM
dont waste ur time buy an M5

maxboost_R
01-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by cocoabrova

I will slit my wrists don't make me do it

A3GTiVR6SC
01-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by 3G
dont waste ur time buy an M5

:werd:

E34 M5 :drool: isnt there a really clean one for sale on beyond?

ninjak84
01-24-2007, 01:15 AM
So I read maxboost_R's post and decided to do look around for myself.
Looks like they're pretty problematic... I have a hard time understanding why though, since 80's 5 & 7 series BMW's are built incredibly well. I'm sure a BMW elitist will reply to tell us all why the 8 series is such a mysterious lemon...

1991-1997 BMW 8-Series: Reliability
Trouble Spots
Consumer Guide'sŪ Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Air conditioner: The air conditioner compressor will shut down if the belt slips, which can occur after driving through a puddle and can be fixed by bypassing the A/C lock sensor control module. (1990-92)

Dashboard lights: Several problems with the hazard warning lights and turn signals activating by themselves, not blinking, etc. have been traced to problems with the flasher relay or the crash-sensor control module. (1992-95)

Poor transmission shift: The synchronizers in six-speed manual transmission get damaged if anything other than Dexron II automatic transmission fluid is used, causing notchy shifting. (1990-97)

Rough idle: Engine idles rough due to knock sensor picking up noise from water pump chatter when transmission is in drive and the air conditioning is on. (1997)

Rough idle: Engine may idle too high or run poorly (accompanied by a check engine light) due to vacuum leaks in the manifold gasket and/or leaking vacuum plugs on the fuel pressure regulator. (1997)

NHTSA Recall History
1991-92 850i: Airbag contact-ring locking tab in steering wheel assembly can break without warning, possibly causing wiring to break and preventing airbag from deploying in a collision.

1991-95: Malfunction or failure of cooling system component can result in significantly increased coolant temperature and system pressure. 1994: Remote activation device can close windows and sunroof from a distance greater than the maximum (6 meters) permitted by Federal standard.

1994-97 840Ci: Plastic housing on cruise-control or throttle cable could break due to environmental influences, coupled with vibration, leading to separation; could result in throttle valve remaining partially open.

While I could afford the price of one for around $15k, doing the air conditioning and cruise control would be way too much. For lots of other things, I found aftermarket was cheaper than OEM most of the time. There were good prices on Bilstein suspension gear... You can find Brembo & Zimmerman brake discs/pads for great deals online too.
I would say the imported 8 series cars are only for people who plan on upgrading them. For someone like me, who could only afford to drive it stock and problem-free, its' gotta be something else.

s--dime
01-24-2007, 01:19 AM
An old Boss of mine drove one he imported from Japan. Thing was a sweet ride with a gorgeous back end....but had major major electrical problems, the wiring harness was incredibly large and very poorly labeled.

DGill
01-24-2007, 01:31 AM
8 series look damnn sexy but their reliability is questionable, and for the record M3 = :bigpimp: :bigpimp: :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

brownchild
01-24-2007, 11:43 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1991/bmw/8series/201/ratings_consumer.html, some info from actual owners, for others considering to buy this vehicle.

recalled BMW's
http://www.automallusa.net/1991/bmw/8-series/recalls.html
Every car ever made has had recalls check the site out. Cant say all cars are made to perfection.

The BMW 850CSi has M8 emblems on the engine, might not be reliable. :dunno:

And by the way an M3 isnt really considered a 3 series, its considered an M series, thats why its. :bigpimp: :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

ninjak84
01-24-2007, 01:46 PM
recalled BMW's
http://www.automallusa.net/1991/bmw/8-series/recalls.html
Every car ever made has had recalls check the site out. Cant say all cars are made to perfection.

Is that site for real?

If you look at all the cars on there, I'd guess each one has 20+ recalls on major components.

brownchild
01-24-2007, 06:13 PM

Is that site for real?

If you look at all the cars on there, I'd guess each one has 20+ recalls on major components.

:dunno: I dont know for sure, it looks pretty legit.

Its not for every vehicle of that model, its just for a couple thousand of them produced.

I dont think the problem that occured with 1991 8 series was pretty big for that year.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW DESIGN RADIATOR CAP TO CONTROL PRESSURE AND PROVIDE GREATER COOLANT OVERFLOW IN THE EVENT OF OVERHEATING.

1-Bar
01-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by maxboost_R

I will slit my wrists don't make me do it

you better not, who will work on my 8 when your dead :dunno: haha

95EagleAWD
01-25-2007, 05:55 PM

Is that site for real?

ONE recall on the NSX.

Ever.

:bigpimp:

Ferrari owner
01-26-2007, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

x2.

:werd: op is a fucking idiot poser.

Kaos
01-26-2007, 05:26 AM
[url]

And by the way an M3 isnt really considered a 3 series, its considered an M series, thats why its. :bigpimp: :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

no no, it is.
Otherwise would be just an M and no 3.
The M is just to make it look better. :nut:

A3GTiVR6SC
01-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Ferrari owner

:werd: op is a fucking idiot poser.

:werd: i had a slight feeling until it was confirmed...