PDA

View Full Version : Using a Clay Bar

SuPhistiKatEd
01-23-2007, 03:12 PM
I've done some extensive reading on Clay Bars and how to use them, but I found that many don't really answer these questions:

1. How do you know when the contaminants are removed and when to move on to another section?

2. How much detailing spray is too much? Is too much a bad thing?

3. When you've finished the section, do you just simply wipe it off with a terry towel?

I'm a bit weary as to using one of these, hearing/reading stories that people have ruined their entire car.

Also, my vehicle is "newer" and I'm quite convinced that a pre-cleaner wax does the trick. Do I really, really need to use a clay bar on a newer vehicle or can I get away with using a pre-cleaner?

Thanks.

rc2002
01-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Clay bar will do a lot more than a per-cleaner wax even on a new car. If you run your hand along the car after using the clay bar on it, it will be dealership showroom smooth.

1. If your paint is light, you'll be able to actually see the contaminants come out when you use the clay bar. Just go over each section a few times an inch at a time. You'll get a feel for it - it's frictionless when you've removed all the grime.

2.) The more spray the better, I find. It keeps better lubrication and prevents scratching.

3.) Yes. It's just that simple. I like to use a brand new Microfibre cloth to wipe it off.

sneek
01-23-2007, 03:46 PM
lol you asked for it.

1. You know to use a clay bar when the surface is much smoother that before you did it. Also the surface does look a bit better because there is no embedded surface contaminants refracting light. More sure you knead the clay often ( fold it into itself), because dirt on the surface of the clay has the potential to scratch the paint. When you use a clay bar you will be able to feel it picking up dirt, it almost feels like running soap down sand paper. If you are unsure if you are effectively claying the surface, do 1/2 the hood and you will be able to see and feel the difference.

2. You can't really use too much detailing spray. You can however use too little. When you use too little you also risk scratching the paint surface because the detailing spray acts as a lubricant to help the clay bar glide along the surface. Before starting I would give the clay bar a quick shot of the detailing spray.

3. When you finish a section just wipe off with a 100% cotton towel. Personally I prefer a microfiber but, as long as the towels are high quality and have no synthetic fibers in the I see no problem with using them.

I imagine that you are getting a clay bar off the shelf of a store. There are only 3 different claying kits available. They are the Meguiar's Quik Clay, Mothers Clay Kit and the Clay Magic Claying Kit. I have tried them all and personally I like Meguiar's the best....might because I am a hardcore Meguair's user.

Here are some quick tips

Cut the bar in 1/2 so that you will have clay to use even if you drop half of it.

Knead often...I cannot stress this enough. Just look at your clay bar after doing just one section and you will be amazed!

USE PLENTY OF DETAILING SPRAY/CLAY LUBE!!

hold the kneaded clay in a waffle just below your the tips of your fingers.

I am kind of tired after exams...only one more, so I might have forgotten something

BTW: It is really hard to damage your car with an store purchased claying kit because they are softer less aggressive grades of clay. If you are purchasing online make sure that the clay you are buying is not aggresive clay, this clay is used in detail shops where they are planning to buff afterwards

Also I highly doubt that a prewax cleaner will do the trick for you. heres a test. wash the car, take a zip lock and cut off the zipping part, put your hand inside and run it up and down the finish, if it feels as smooth as a new sheet of glass then you probably don't need clay. If it feels rough, then you know it is time to clay

one more thing, Claying WILL NOT REMOVE SWIRLS!! It should be a non abrasive process.

Cheers

-Pat

feel free to PM me if you need more help

sneek
01-23-2007, 03:49 PM
OWN3D!! all that typing and I got beat by a minute!

EDIT i did forget something! Do the paint first, then glass, trim and wheels last.

EDIT 2: for rail dust make sure you use a dedicated paint cleaner afterwards.
Sorry, I suck at taking pictures.
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/4549mini-Stephs_GP_002.jpg
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/4549mini-Stephs_GP_003.jpg
AFTER
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/4549mini-Stephs_GP_004.jpg

SuPhistiKatEd
01-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks!

So I know to move on when it's pretty much effortless to move the bar back and forth? But, the first few passes will be , like you mentioned, passing soap on sandpaper.

Also, most websites say to do sections at a time, specifically 2' x 2', but would it be alright to say...do half (vertically) of a panel?

sneek
01-23-2007, 09:46 PM
in a word...maybe
you see, it really depends on what the vehicle has been exposed to. If it has seen some winter without wax, or construction site/industrial fall out then obviously the contamination is going to be much worse than if the car was garaged 24/7. A good way to tell if the work area is too large is to try. If the clay bar is effectively removing bonded contaminants on vertical panels and it doesn't look to dirty then you may be able to make your work area larger.

With that said, it is a vertical panel, which tends to have less contaminants ( excluding the area around the wheel wells). So give it a shot and you will be able to determine for yourself if you can do 1/2 a vertical panel on your vehicle or not. There is no rule that says that you MUST do a 2' X2' area, sometime you need to work with a smaller area, and sometimes you can get away with working with a large area.

Also, something I left out in my first 2 posts is that, make sure you are applying a good amount of pressure. You should be able to feel the clay "grabbing" the contaminants. You should be getting pretty good at claying by the time you are done one panel. You might even find yourself enjoying it. :D it is good to clay at least twice a year, to keep the paint healthy.

Hope this helps

-Pat

Sharpie
01-23-2007, 09:48 PM
One thing to add, if you drop the clay throw it out...

sneek
01-23-2007, 09:50 PM
^^ very true! Thats why I always tell people to split the clay bar in 1/2. Some people cut it into 15 pieces, but I find that if you cut it too small, it becomes a pain to work with.

EDIT: wow I wrote a lot in this thread. :( too bad it is far too cold to detail my car, and i have another exam on Thursday when it warms up :wall:

SuPhistiKatEd
01-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks! This really, really helps and makes things much more clearer.

Though, you didn't quite answer my first question...

So I know to move on when it's pretty much effortless to move the bar back and forth? But, the first few passes will be , like you mentioned, passing soap on sandpaper.

Thanks.

big A
01-23-2007, 10:19 PM
do you have to use the detailing spray or can you use something more cost effective like soapy water?

sneek
01-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Sorry, I am not really sure what your asking me. If the finish is neglected it will feel like you are grinding something against the finish. It is something that is really hard to describe through the keyboard lol.

big A: It depends on the type of clay. Some clay bars will fall apart if you use them with soapy water, but others will hold together just fine.

?????
01-23-2007, 10:49 PM
soapy water should be fine.

rc2002
01-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by sneek
OWN3D!! all that typing and I got beat by a minute!

I always tell people to split the clay bar in 1/2. Some people cut it into 15 pieces, but I find that if you cut it too small, it becomes a pain to work with.

Hehe. Sorry about that. You had some good info there though. Especially with the breaking it in half. If you use the whole thing and drop it, you're boned - and the stuff isn't cheap either.

sneek
01-24-2007, 12:57 AM
:D i have 3 very good sources for cheap clay. the weird thing is the cheapest clay holds up the best when used with soap. I think the the elastic clay is the one that holds up and plastic is the one that does not.

Mitsu3000gt
01-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Everyone's information is excellent so far but I will add one thing (don't think anyone said it yet). The easiest way to tell if you are done with a particular section is put your hand in a ziploc/plastic bag and run it over the section. You will feel little bumps if you need to keep going, and it will be smooth if your done. The bag really makes it easy to feel the contaminents.

sneek
01-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Everyone's information is excellent so far but I will add one thing (don't think anyone said it yet). The easiest way to tell if you are done with a particular section is put your hand in a ziploc/plastic bag and run it over the section. You will feel little bumps if you need to keep going, and it will be smooth if your done. The bag really makes it easy to feel the contaminents.
As I posted above, make sure you cut off the zipping part. You can also use the plastic wrapper that comes on cigs., but Im not a smoker.

heres a test. wash the car, take a zip lock and cut off the zipping part, put your hand inside and run it up and down the finish, if it feels as smooth as a new sheet of glass then you probably don't need clay. If it feels rough, then you know it is time to clay

Calgarydetail
01-27-2007, 01:20 PM
I havent check this in a while so heres my contribution.

If you dont wan to use a ziplock bag for w.e reason use the back of your hand. I find it works just as well, many dont. Find what works for you.
I mention it becasue i know some people who dont trust a plastic bag on there paint finsih so they refuse to do it.
just another option. good luck with the claying

Jed Bouscal
01-28-2007, 01:58 PM
A couple of points to consider-

-Like Calgary Detail said, be careful with plastic bags against your finish, they can scratch. I use the back of my fingers (make sure they are clean!)

-Someone mentioned cotton towels - I'd stick with the MF towels. I've seen paint scratched by cotton towels, by q-tips, even by microfiber if used with too much pressure or rubbing

-Claybars do not actually 'pull' contaminants 'out' of the paint, they remove surface contamination, and polish away the protruding part of any embedded contamination. This leaves the paint feeling glass-like because the contaminants have been levelled.

-Because they are abrasive, use only enough pressure to keep the clay against the paint, or you can leave marks on your paint

-Spray your claybar with clay lube/detail spray before you put it back in it's container and it will be much easier to remove next time you need it.

Good luck!

pattyt
04-04-2008, 04:59 PM
After claying, i have to polish and then wax? Anyone want to tell me what kind of polisher i can pick up at CT, probably meguiars right? lol , but you just polish using a normal MF towel?? or something different?

First timer:) lol trying to get all the info i can before i do something

95teetee
04-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by pattyt
After claying, i have to polish and then wax? Anyone want to tell me what kind of polisher i can pick up at CT, probably meguiars right? lol , but you just polish using a normal MF towel?? or something different?

First timer:) lol trying to get all the info i can before i do something
after claying, I always use Meguiar's (step 1) paint cleaner and then their Gold Class wax- both hand applied. Looks incredible.
oh, and I always just use water with a few drops of dish soap for claying, too...

gmoney82
04-08-2008, 01:59 PM
:D i have 3 very good sources for cheap clay

Sneek...hook it up!... Want to hear your recommendation..or what you use...or is it different clay bars for different conditions?

sneek
04-09-2008, 01:51 AM
gmoney82: :D You never really called me back! (not even sure if you remember this from a year ago!)

Short answer, yes I do use different clays for different conditions. Clay's very in aggressiveness, I would not use an aggressive clay if the car wasn't too bad. I wouldn't use a mild clay bar if there was heavy over spray on a car. My favorite clay/ the clay I use most often is the E-Shine Riccardo clay. It is world know, but available in few countries around the world due to the AutoMagic patent on clay. Almost all detailing clay is the same, except for Riccardo clay. Most people know it as the "yellow clay", but this is not to be confused with the yellow mothers clay bars.

I will write a longer answer once I am done my report due Monday.....and maybe getting some sleep.

Destinova403
04-09-2008, 01:54 AM
wow... this makes it seem intimidating to do... white cars show all the marks especially the huge flat parts. sneek youll probably be getting a pm in a month or so.

gmoney82
04-09-2008, 01:06 PM
gmoney82: :D You never really called me back! (not even sure if you remember this from a year ago!)

Short answer, yes I do use different clays for different conditions. Clay's very in aggressiveness, I would not use an aggressive clay if the car wasn't too bad. I wouldn't use a mild clay bar if there was heavy over spray on a car. My favorite clay/ the clay I use most often is the E-Shine Riccardo clay. It is world know, but available in few countries around the world due to the AutoMagic patent on clay. Almost all detailing clay is the same, except for Riccardo clay. Most people know it as the "yellow clay", but this is not to be confused with the yellow mothers clay bars.

I will write a longer answer once I am done my report due Monday.....and maybe getting some sleep.

Hey Sneek,..let me know if you have any extra Riccardos i can buy off of you...and yah I remember about a year ago we were supposed to meet so that you can show me a few things, but our schedules didnt quite work out due to the fact you worked evenings!

sneek
04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/sneeky_munkey/C040908_1753_00.jpg
haha I happen to keep a little bit of Riccardo on hand...just in case. It is really good clay. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more. I think I like the fact that it doesn't break apart as easy as other clays. I have quite a few differnt types of clay bars, but for everyday usage, Riccardo is number one in my books. Beats out everything in stores, an it isn't too bad of a price.

Destinova403: I look forward to your PM.

gmoney82
04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
[IMG]
haha I happen to keep a little bit of Riccardo on hand...just in case. It is really good clay. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more. I think I like the fact that it doesn't break apart as easy as other clays. I have quite a few differnt types of clay bars, but for everyday usage, Riccardo is number one in my books. Beats out everything in stores, an it isn't too bad of a price.

Destinova403: I look forward to your PM.

Sneek: PM'd!

climer
04-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Where can I buy additional clay bars?

I've looked at Parts Source, Cdn Tire, etc. but they only carry the kit and just not the bar itself.

rc2002
04-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403
wow... this makes it seem intimidating to do... white cars show all the marks especially the huge flat parts. sneek youll probably be getting a pm in a month or so.

Are you kidding? White cars hide marks and dirt the best. It's the black cars that are impossible to keep looking new.

bobby_lu
04-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Are you kidding? White cars hide marks and dirt the best. It's the black cars that are impossible to keep looking new.

:werd: lol...if all the paint imperfections on your white car were on a black car it would probably look like ass.

sneek
04-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by gmoney82

Sneek: PM'd!
:D I am excited to see what we can do to your car!

Originally posted by climer
Where can I buy additional clay bars?

I've looked at Parts Source, Cdn Tire, etc. but they only carry the kit and just not the bar itself.
:P You can get one if/ when you swing by. The clay bars alone can be purchased localy, but the price isn't as good, as well as the fact that they are a bit harder to use. I can show you the difference!

Originally posted by richardchan2002

hahaha, so true. Before I bought my first black car, I worked on a lot of black cars, and though the owners must not have known how to wash them. Black cars are ultra hard to keep clean. Esp. with weather like this!! My car looks like it is covered in mud right now because I drove it to fill up. The gas station is maybe 4 blocks from my house! It definitely sucks sometimes, but when they are clean and polished....:drool: there are few colours that look better. They just give off such crisp clear beautiful reflections. Black cars...it is a love/hate kind of deal. I wash my car super carefully, usually with 3 buckets, and still I think polishing it out twice a year is about necessary. I usually wax monthly if the weather permits.

Graham_A_M
04-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I imagine that you are getting a clay bar off the shelf of a store. There are only 3 different claying kits available. They are the Meguiar's Quik Clay, Mothers Clay Kit and the Clay Magic Claying Kit. I have tried them all and personally I like Meguiar's the best....might because I am a hardcore Meguair's user.

You should try the Car Brite clay bar. Its absolutely stellar to use. I still have one that I've never used. I may as well put it up for sale since I think it cost $90 new or whatever.

Bimmer88
04-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Oh man my black car could use a polish... its horrible!!! Swirels everywhere, and scartches.... jesus its bad.

Graham_A_M
04-20-2008, 02:12 PM
^ Thats why I hand wax all my vehicles. I dont know people risk it using these power polishers. Most people are way too inexperienced to consistantly avoid swirls everytime.
I can hand wax my car in maybe 10 minutes tops, it takes 5-7 with a power polisher.. too me its just not worth the risk.

sneek
04-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

You should try the Car Brite clay bar. Its absolutely stellar to use. I still have one that I've never used. I may as well put it up for sale since I think it cost $90 new or whatever.
Is it the purple one? If so I have one. :D They sell them locally IIRC. They are pretty flexible, but I far prefer my Riccardo :P as you can see above. It takes care of most of the stuff, although some cars need more.

^ Thats why I hand wax all my vehicles. I dont know people risk it using these power polishers. Most people are way too inexperienced to consistantly avoid swirls everytime.
I can hand wax my car in maybe 10 minutes tops, it takes 5-7 with a power polisher.. too me its just not worth the risk.

I definitely think it depends on the type of machine you are using as well as what kind of material you are applying it with. Say a random orbital with a blue, red or black lake country pad, wouldn't leave you with any swirls. Applying by hand is nice, but I don't know if the finish will ever be as uniform as if it was applied by machine.

climer
04-21-2008, 11:44 AM

:P You can get one if/ when you swing by. The clay bars alone can be purchased localy, but the price isn't as good, as well as the fact that they are a bit harder to use. I can show you the difference!

That would be cool.

BTW, isn't is strange how we suddenly get a huge dumping of snow whenever talk about meeting up?

The long range forecast looks good for later this week so hopefully we can meet then.

Oh yeah, clear out your inbox! :)

Graham_A_M
04-21-2008, 07:42 PM

Is it the purple one? If so I have one. :D They sell them locally IIRC. They are pretty flexible, but I far prefer my Riccardo :P as you can see above. It takes care of most of the stuff, although some cars need more.
its Medium grey. I didn't know they offered different ones.

I definitely think it depends on the type of machine you are using as well as what kind of material you are applying it with. Say a random orbital with a blue, red or black lake country pad, wouldn't leave you with any swirls. Applying by hand is nice, but I don't know if the finish will ever be as uniform as if it was applied by machine.

Very true. :thumbsup:

you didn't find that top care kit by any chance did you?

sneek
04-22-2008, 08:52 PM
I took a quick look, and couldn't find it, I will look more closely tomorrow afternoon after my exam. hahaha every room in my house has detailing gear!

Graham_A_M
04-22-2008, 09:34 PM
^ let me know if you have any interior detailing kits of any sort. I can definately use some. thanks bud. :)

sneek
04-22-2008, 10:59 PM
^ let me know if you have any interior detailing kits of any sort. I can definately use some. thanks bud. :)

I for sure don't have any interior kits, but I really thought I had a more than half full raggtop kit.

For interior I just use the same products as I use on my other cars. If you want, you can come by and use some. I have several gallons. I don't imagine a Z4 is going to need that much in the way of chemicals. More just labor. Why do you need a interior detailing kit. I thought you had some of those production chemicals. I seem to recall you had a write up on leather seats.

sneek
04-22-2008, 11:13 PM
oops we kind of went on a tangent there didn't we.

umm so I *think* Car Brite has these newer clay bars that are smaller. I still think you get more bang for your buck with Riccardo, not to mention I prefer it's kneedability

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/sneeky_munkey/IMG_0514.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/sneeky_munkey/IMG_0513.jpg

I think the Car Brite one use to be much bigger and came in a tub and the bar was maybe an inch thick. Was that the one that you had ?

Sorry my pics are still a bit funny because I am not sure I know how to use this camera.

Redlyne_jr
04-22-2008, 11:38 PM
wow ^^ thats a big claybar the one i got in the mother detailing kit was like 1/4 that size

sneek
04-22-2008, 11:49 PM
It is roughly 2 times bigger. The Mothers clay is 2.82, I think that one is 7....I could be wrong though.

Redlyne_jr
04-23-2008, 12:04 AM
It is roughly 2 times bigger. The Mothers clay is 2.82, I think that one is 7....I could be wrong though.

okay ya that probably sounds about right...

sneek
05-01-2008, 10:40 AM
For anyone that wants to try this. I just found out that the eShine clay is ON SALE!!! It never goes on sale!!

http://www.eshine.ca/300-riccardo_clay_62oz.html?cat=67
:hitit:

cdnsir
05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
It's that time of the year again, time to get rid of those stubborn winter dirt with some good old fashion elbow grease! I tired the Mother's kit last year and it was pretty good. Enough to be doing 2 cars with, just had to be a bit skimpy on the 2nd detailing session that's all.

Quick question, can Riccardo's Clay be bought locally now? If not, do you still have anymore hookups sneek?

schocker
05-06-2009, 04:31 PM
I clayed my car on monday with the meguiars kit, used an entire bottle of the detailer and took 4 hours:rofl:

Genjuro
05-06-2009, 05:17 PM
stupid question: Clay before or after wax...? buff after clay? sorry if this is really noobish....

Wraith
05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Clay before wax