PDA

View Full Version : GTR in the winter??

RSX-REX
01-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Got a question for everybody. Is it possible with decent winter tires to drive a skyline GTR in the winter? I know its All wheel drive, so ofcourse with the correct winter tires, theoredically it would be a substantially good winter driver, if the driver is cautious and keeps it under control.
Or due to the fact its not * True all wheel drive * and the rear wheels engage the majority of the power until slippage, and due to the sheer power of the vehicle would it not be drivable in the winter.

I'm curious, because nobody has really discussed this, however all wheel drive, winter tires, it could be a really good car in the winter.

KoukiS14
01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
FFS not another stupid thread

toomuchb00st
01-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Yet another stupid question. YOU CAN DRIVE ANYTHING IN THE WINTER WITH WINTER TIRES OR WITHOUT. Get in, turn on, and go. Its up to you to decide whether it safe or not or whether the vehicle is fit for winter driving. In your case...actually I dont want to know what you would decide on.

Mr_ET
01-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Nice sig man :P

IBTL!

oh sorry this isnt H-T :rofl:

max_boost
01-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by KoukiS14
FFS not another stupid thread Sig is gold. :rofl:

Reminds me of my hit list of people posting 'what car to buy threads' but never actually went out to buy one. :rofl:

RSX-REX
01-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm asking if the vehicle is fit for winter driving.
Because it is all wheel drive?
If someone wanted to drive it as a daily driver * all year round *
or just had it as a summer car, but the winter beater broke down and they needed a vehicle to get themselvs around.

Mr_ET
01-23-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm sure there is some information out there about this if you search.

I think these threads are annoying because people who make them never end up actually buying or doing anything to their cars.

:closed:

msommers
01-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Well I don't know. See... you have to seriously think about it. It would probably be compared to this.

Would I be able to shove a size 10 steel-toed shoe in your ass?:dunno: And the debate continues!!!!!

Menteith
01-23-2007, 05:48 PM
R32's with their 4WD make great winter cars with winter tires.

...however, the RB26DETT is a big engine and you wouldn't want to be spinning everywhere when the turbo's hit.

R32's are also not cheap inexpensive cars...and they are somewhat rare.

It's like an STi...sure the 4WD systems make great traction on all surfaces...but do you really want to drive it, and potentially wreck it through the winter?

RSX-REX
01-24-2007, 12:57 PM
I would love to have an STI for the winter.
It would be such a fun car to have to get around.

I understand what you guys are saying, however I dont see winter as a * get in an accident time *
You just need to have good tires and drive cautiously, and you'll be fine.

I personally feel if I got in an accident with a skyline GTR, its no different then smacking up any 15 - 20 000 dollar car. It has 4 wheels, its made of plastic etc... a cars a car seriously.

Anyways I dont mean to be a tool I'm sorry for making such a retarded thread. I thought I would of recieved more help but its ovious you beyonders dont' like these threads.

keep it real guys!

AzN'SKillZ
01-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by KoukiS14
FFS not another stupid thread

Originally posted by toomuchb00st
Yet another stupid question. YOU CAN DRIVE ANYTHING IN THE WINTER WITH WINTER TIRES OR WITHOUT. Get in, turn on, and go. Its up to you to decide whether it safe or not or whether the vehicle is fit for winter driving. In your case...actually I dont want to know what you would decide on.

Originally posted by Mr_ET
I'm sure there is some information out there about this if you search.

I think these threads are annoying because people who make them never end up actually buying or doing anything to their cars.

:closed:

Originally posted by msommers
Well I don't know. See... you have to seriously think about it. It would probably be compared to this.

Would I be able to shove a size 10 steel-toed shoe in your ass?:dunno: And the debate continues!!!!!

DONT REPLY TO THE QUESTIONS IF U DONT WANT TO.

KoukiS14
01-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ

Why dont you shut the fuck up, you arent needed here

2EFNFAST
01-24-2007, 01:11 PM
If i can drive a corvette in the winter, i think a gt-r will be fine - just get proper tires and know how the throttle works.

I wouldn't waste your breath asking if you can it in the winter on an online car forum, esp. one that's import crazy, because of course the standard response will be: OMG!!BBQ!!! SKYLINE!!!!! *jizz jizz jizz* OMG! NO DRIVEY EVER!!!! IT"S A SKYLINE!!! *JIZZ JIZ JIZZ*

;)

4doorj
01-24-2007, 01:26 PM
i think a skyline with winter tires would be drivable

ogpog
01-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Reminds me of my hit list of people posting 'what car to buy threads' but never actually went out to buy one. :rofl:

I had a feeling that 80% of those threads was some 17 year old kid trying to make everyone on here think he's some rich bitch whos trying to pick between a 350, g35, or 335i. (Change the cars to whatever fits your fancy).

Dooms_Bane
01-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by ogpog

I had a feeling that 80% of those threads was some 17 year old kid trying to make everyone on here think he's some rich bitch whos trying to pick between a 350, g35, or 335i. (Change the cars to whatever fits your fancy).

hahaha
your sig
the cop with the pew pew wank
HAHAHAHAHA
dude thats so funny

msommers
01-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by AzN'SKillZ

Kind of ironic how I'm sharing my opinion on the situation and you are as well...... but I need to shut up.:rolleyes: :guns: Do us all a favor and keep your head in your ass.

Well considering this guy wanted to get a Hyabusa as a first bike, and now drive a GTR in the winter, it really makes me wonder what he is thinking before he posts. However, he did come to terms with getting a smaller bike, which I can applaud. Unless you love getting into debt, get something that looks half decent you can drive year round and getting the bike would probably be a smart choice.

Also, it's not so much you risking crashing it in the winter, so much as it is some other smuck running into your beautiful car!!!

I drove my RB'ed 240 year round and it was perfectly fine

Menteith
01-24-2007, 01:53 PM
If imports close this summer then you won't be thinking it's just another car with four wheels.

Mitsu3000gt
01-24-2007, 05:31 PM
My car has ~380 lb/ft torque and is AWD. It's a beauty to drive in the winter, just have to be easy on the throttle. I don't have winter tires either and have never had issues stopping/starting.

I think you will be fine.

A790
01-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by RSX-REX
Got a question for everybody. Is it possible with decent winter tires to drive a skyline GTR in the winter? I know its All wheel drive, so ofcourse with the correct winter tires, theoredically it would be a substantially good winter driver, if the driver is cautious and keeps it under control.
Or due to the fact its not * True all wheel drive * and the rear wheels engage the majority of the power until slippage, and due to the sheer power of the vehicle would it not be drivable in the winter.

I'm curious, because nobody has really discussed this, however all wheel drive, winter tires, it could be a really good car in the winter.
I wouldn't. 276HP + RHD + rare care (no parts readily available) = bad news.

7thgenvic
01-24-2007, 07:00 PM
AWD! thats all you need to know. some thick winter's on there. I would rock it forsure.

msommers
01-25-2007, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by A790

I wouldn't. 276HP + RHD + rare care (no parts readily available) = bad news.

Driving on the right hand side is just something to get used to, in any season.

Rare parts have nothing to do with being an advantage or disadvantage to actually driving in the winter, it really doesn't matter what season it is. It's just an inconvenience.

STi is a beauty to drive in the winter, and it's ~300hp!

Winter driving depends on the driver a lot, not because you have AWD, FWD, or RWD. Winter tires + a good driver in any car is a million times better than some jack ass who can't drive winters in a subaru.

A790
01-25-2007, 07:18 AM

Rare parts have nothing to do with being an advantage or disadvantage to actually driving in the winter, it really doesn't matter what season it is. It's just an inconvenience.

Winter driving depends on the driver a lot, not because you have AWD, FWD, or RWD. Winter tires + a good driver in any car is a million times better than some jack ass who can't drive winters in a subaru.

I've driven RHD (I used to own a Silvia).

Winter puts more stress on a car (cold startups, brittle parts, etc.). Last thing he needs is some stupid part on the RB26 to go and leave him effed while it comes in from Japan.

IhateDomestic
01-25-2007, 01:27 PM

Agreed.

During the winter it really depends on the driver and tires itself rather than what type of drive the car is. Just because you get AWD doesn't mean you'll get fucked on the road.

Menteith
01-25-2007, 01:38 PM
You can be as good a driver as you want...

...some idiot tailends you at a red light becuz he's a shitty driver... won't matter if you're an F1 driver.

RB parts are not a "rare" over here as many of you seem to believe.

Longest I've waited on a part was five days.

schurchill39
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM

I agree with the driver point. I have driven RWD through the majority of the winters whether it was a sports car or my truck. I have also driven fwd beaters and "sports cars". It all depends on the driver.

I also know people who drive AWD and 4x4 and think its some magical gift that neutralises the effects of winter.

Sure the car will help but your the one controlling that car.

rc2002
01-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Menteith
R32's with their 4WD make great winter cars with winter tires.

R32's are also not cheap inexpensive cars...and they are somewhat rare.

If imports close this summer then you won't be thinking it's just another car with four wheels.

RB parts are not a "rare" over here as many of you seem to believe.

Longest I've waited on a part was five days.

Have you ever tried to find a skyline windshield before? You certainly are loyal to Skylines. They're just another Nissan as far as I'm concerned. In fact I think it's a car that is way overvalued for its age and way too much headache to own.

To answer the OP, Skylines would be great winter cars.

Annoyingrob
01-25-2007, 03:41 PM
You can be as good a driver as you want...

...some idiot tailends you at a red light becuz he's a shitty driver... won't matter if you're an F1 driver.

:werd:

I decided to drive my supra in the winter (RHD, Twin Turbo, RWD), I picked up a nice set of winter tires, and could drive it damn well in the snow, despite the rediculous amounts of power, in a RWD vehicle. What happened? Some fucker smashed up the side of my car, and drove off!

I also had an incident where the woman in front of me didn't think that 4 winter tires were necesary, so she just put 2 on the front. She hit the brakes on a little ice, and spun right around (Traction in the front, none in the back), causing mayhem everywhere.

It doesn't matter how good of a drive you are, chances are the other guy isn't (Calgary drivers SUCK in the snow). If you want to drive GTR in the winter, go right ahead, it will drive just great. Just be prepared for someone to smash into it.

KuruptEX
01-25-2007, 03:45 PM
omg KoukiS14 your sig stole the thread damn nice sig

hampstor
01-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Any car can be driven in the winter with a competant driver and the right equipment.

Driving in the winter IMHO takes a lot of patience. If you lack patience, you will probably wreck your car :) . Remember, once you foot lets off the gas and hit the brake, AWD=FWD=RWD.