PDA

View Full Version : Lower back workouts?

cycosis
01-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Ski season is in full swing. Im 6'5 and my back kills me after every day I get out. What are some exercises I could do to improve lower back stregth? Have access to a gym. Thanx guys.

bulaian
01-24-2007, 11:20 AM
back extensions, deadlift

hjr
01-24-2007, 02:36 PM
weighted back extentions. then hit a machine aaaafter for isolation. deadlifts as mentioned are good too.

GTS Jeff
01-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by hjr
weighted back extentions. I would go without the weights and try to work up to something crazy like 30 reps per set. Skiing isn't really a sport of insane strength, it's more about endurance.

And on top of doing back workouts, I would also throw in some ab work to round out the core workout. Strong abs can take a load off the back. :)

And another thing you can do is get someone to critique your skiing technique. It's possible you aren't in the right stance. I know I used to have a tough time maintaining the right stance (I would hunch over to compensate for my lack of ankle flexion)

kertejud
01-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by hjr
weighted back extentions. then hit a machine aaaafter for isolation. deadlifts as mentioned are good too.

Deadlifts are the best, isolation is only good if you want to look stronger, dead lifts will actually help make you stronger for skiing (and other activities) and thus stop the soreness afterwards.

Darkane
01-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Squats, Deads, Goodmornings and ABS. If you got time Glute Ham raises as well.

buh_buh
01-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Deads should be the most important part of everyone's back workout.

1-Bar
01-24-2007, 06:12 PM
^werd, deads are essential in lower back, glutes and hammies. If your knees are hurting after skiing, it could be a combination of those 3 areas of your body. They all work hand in hand down the kinetic chain. Strengthen all areas and your sitting good.

cycosis
01-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

And another thing you can do is get someone to critique your skiing technique. It's possible you aren't in the right stance. I know I used to have a tough time maintaining the right stance (I would hunch over to compensate for my lack of ankle flexion)

Ive been skiing for 18 years but the problem is that Im very tall and skinny. To maitain a decent center of balance i need to "crouch" or keep my knees and back a little more bent then msot do. its unfortunate but thats the only way to balance.

yellowsnow
01-25-2007, 01:19 PM
maybe it's your spine... go to a chiro to get it straightened?

GTS Jeff
01-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by cycosis

Ive been skiing for 18 years but the problem is that Im very tall and skinny. To maitain a decent center of balance i need to "crouch" or keep my knees and back a little more bent then msot do. its unfortunate but thats the only way to balance.

Have you tried boots with a lower flex index? Your back should always be straight and perpendicular to the slope.

Originally posted by yellowsnow
maybe it's your spine... go to a chiro to get it straightened?

A fake doctor cracking your back won't do much IMO.

pinoyhero
01-26-2007, 07:25 AM
Be sure you're stretching real well after working your hams, a good chunk of back pain can be avoided by not having super tight hams. I was having a few issues after I really started blasting the hamstring with deads and I found that the pain totally subsided when I started stretching out propoerly afterwards.

cycosis
01-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Have you tried boots with a lower flex index? Your back should always be straight and perpendicular to the slope.

Ive got great boots, salomon x-wave 8s! :) Thx for the advice guys

GTS Jeff
01-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by cycosis

Ive got great boots, salomon x-wave 8s! :) Thx for the advice guys Most reviews I've read of the X-Waves say that they are a lot stiffer than what they're rated for. I believe the X-Wave 8s are rated at 80, but apparently they feel like 90 or 100. But who am I to talk...I use X-Wave 10s. :D

SiR_lyfe
02-08-2007, 11:52 AM
DEADLIFTS

JAYMEZ
02-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Deads should be the most important part of everyone's back workout.

:werd: , best ever!!

CivicTunr
02-08-2007, 10:34 PM
for back, you can do
Back extensions.
chin-ups.
dead lifts (already said)
plank will help stiffen up your back and abs as well.