PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Wheel Hub for RX-7

AsianCaucasian
01-25-2007, 12:39 PM
My rear passenger hub decided to crap out on me and it's making a noise like a jet engine. Looking to get just one, but if I must buy the pair/set then so be it. It has to be from 86-91 and must be five-lug.

Cheeze
01-25-2007, 06:00 PM
They are only about 70$ new for the bearing.......then you just go to uwrench and use their press.....not hard at all.

AsianCaucasian
01-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Cheeze
They are only about 70$ new for the bearing.......then you just go to uwrench and use their press.....not hard at all.

It's not the bearings. Well, the bearings are screwed too but it's the hub centre where it meets the axle that's messed up. I can either get that part, or even easier, get the entire hub.

Cheeze
01-26-2007, 10:00 PM
hmmmm...how is it screwed up? the splines are stripped?

AsianCaucasian
01-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Cheeze
hmmmm...how is it screwed up? the splines are stripped?

Not exactly too sure, but there is TONS of play near the axle. My entire right rear wheel can move left-right about 5 degrees each way. I've had it checked out by two shops and they both told me the hub centre needs to be replaced.

Cheeze
01-28-2007, 07:38 PM
hmmm...sounds like your bearing gave out. on the rx7, you press the bearing and hub out from the hub body, then you push teh splined part out of the bearing.

i cant see the splines being bad, or you wouldnt be moving. I think you just need a bearing.

just my opinion, hope it helped

schurchill39
01-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Sounds kind of like a problem I had with my front passenger wheel. There was alot of play in the wheel causing a bad vibration at 80+ km when ever i slightly turned.

Give this a shot, if it doesnt work then it was only 10 minutes wasted.... It worked for me though.

When you take off your wheel there should be a cap right in the center, pop that cap off with a screw driver and there will be a bigger sized nut with a codder (sp?) pin through it. Take that codder pin out and and hand tighten it (not to tight!!) then spin your wheel to make sure it spins freely. Then out the pin back through, the cap back on and your wheel back on.

Cheeze
01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
The back doesnt have those kind of bearings, theyre sealed roller bearings that press out, then a cv goes thru the middle of them.

MrSector9
01-28-2007, 10:55 PM
haha i wouldn't go back to either of those shops btw.

only way your "hub" would be damaged is if a bearing "turned" in the housing. and well then your wheel would basically have fallen off by now.

Cheeze
01-30-2007, 07:12 AM
and judging by how much of a motherfucker it was to get my old one out....the chances are slim to none of it turning inside the housing.

MrSector9
01-30-2007, 08:20 AM
I will ad this here since i todl him this in a pm in case anyone searchs... IF anyone searches.

Try to get another hub from someone else with a bad bearing in it since they more then likely replaced the complete hub. It will more then likely be cheap to free and then you have all the time in the world to change the bearings in it. Once that is done it will only be the disassembly/reassembly time that your car with be down if you do not run into further problems.