PDA

View Full Version : Nissan GT-R Confirmed VQ37HRTT

dino_martini
01-25-2007, 06:33 PM
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=12&article_id=4650

At $70K MSRP (US dollars mind you) + dealer markup, which cars would it compete with and how will it perform?

It sounds fairly heavy, AWD, TT,...similar to the 997 turbo which weighs around 3500lbs.

As for competition I'm thinking:
New E90 M3
997 C2?
C6 Corvette
Ford Shelby GT500 (Maybe?)

Edited - for stupid spelling mistakes.

KoukiS14
01-25-2007, 06:41 PM
:banghead: Still cant believe they would bastardize that car with a V6

Orbie
01-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Awesome, all I care about in this post is that the VQ37HR and confirmed G37 moniker will be used on the upcoming Coupe. :clap:

hjr
01-25-2007, 07:14 PM
there is nothing wrong with a v6?

im not sure i understand the hatred here?

the real problem is that its ugly as a chimp's ass

Boost Infested
01-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Inline 6 was the true heart of all the GTR's up til now(well, they had the 4 banger in r31 and older). Atleast they stayed with the turbocharger(s) instead of the v8 n/a. I mean its all personal preferences. Decisions are not up to us, I am glad to see these GTRs are offered to N.America production line.

ps: v8tt would be the ultimate... :D :drama:

T78Supra1
01-25-2007, 07:29 PM
What the Hell....A $115,000 CAD (with tax frieght pdi and commision) VQ engine....For the love of God this is no where near the quality or near the strength of the RB26.

Sounds to me to be a Glorified 350z...(Yeah it has all wheel drive and the 350 is not)
But Please The VQ v-6 engine :barf: why not an inline 6 or even a V-8

hjr
01-25-2007, 07:33 PM
because that would involve engineering a new engine, retooling the factory, going through testing and such, all when they have a good motor sitting there they can use.

i dont think there is much wrong with the VQ. maybe i missed something along the way?

T78Supra1
01-25-2007, 07:50 PM
The VQ is not a bad engine, it just no where near the best engine nissan has made. Thats all, and if this is to represent the best engineering of nissan. I think they are selling them self short.

Or in Reality its crappy mechanical engineering (infact no mechanical engineering) they use the same dame engine in all there cars.

msommers
01-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by hjr
because that would involve engineering a new engine, retooling the factory, going through testing and such, all when they have a good motor sitting there they can use.

i dont think there is much wrong with the VQ. maybe i missed something along the way?

VQ is a good engine, RB26 is a better one. Besides, the RB26's haven't changed a whole lot and has been used over the last 3 generations, so it seems fitting to continue it but I guess not. Oh well, lets get some track numbers!

Genjuro
01-25-2007, 07:59 PM
you will not get the same power from a v6 as you can with a i6, thats the problem. after this many years working on the new GT-R, i dont think they got it right this time. i am sure its going to be heavy just like the new eclipse...

hell i might as well get a 350, change the tranny to a r34 and add 2 turbos. lighter, cheaper and better looking.

http://www.junauto.co.jp/news/index-e.html?000059

ricefarmer
01-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by T78Supra1
What the Hell....A $115,000 CAD (with tax frieght pdi and commision) VQ engine....For the love of God this is no where near the quality or near the strength of the RB26.

Sounds to me to be a Glorified 350z...(Yeah it has all wheel drive and the 350 is not)
But Please The VQ v-6 engine :barf: why not an inline 6 or even a V-8

I dont know how the fuck you get $115,000? what financial news are you reading?
and whats with all the hate, the test car lapped the circuit only 20 seconds slower than a 911 turbo ( a car with twice the cost)

Genjuro
01-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by ricefarmer

and whats with all the hate, the test car lapped the circuit only 20 seconds slower than a 911 turbo ( a car with twice the cost)

Dom: "Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning"

dude... 20 seconds?! makes me hate it even more.

ricefarmer
01-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Genjuro

Dom: "Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning"

dude... 20 seconds?! makes me hate it even more.

do you realize that 20 seconds is marginally slower by 8%. the nissan is half the fuckin cost of the porsche:banghead:

962 kid
01-25-2007, 10:09 PM

do you realize that 20 seconds is marginally slower by 8%. the nissan is half the fuckin cost of the porsche:banghead:

Do you have ANY idea how much time 20 seconds a lap is??

tomt64
01-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Count to 20, its pretty fucking long.

Nissan should wake up, the words Skyline and GTR is meant to show dominance not "Hey its only a bit slower than the Porsche."

01-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Dissappointing:thumbsdow

msommers
01-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by tomt64
Count to 20, its pretty fucking long.

Nissan should wake up, the words Skyline and GTR is meant to show dominance not "Hey its only a bit slower than the Porsche."
:werd: :werd: :werd: No fuckin kiddin eh. GTR was built off of a winning race car, I mean kicking ass consistently for many years!!! Not a fan of that front end at all but hey, one ride might change my mind:D

95EagleAWD
01-25-2007, 11:25 PM

I dont know how the fuck you get $115,000? what financial news are you reading?

Slower than the 911 Turbo?

They fucked that goal up then, since the 911TT has ALWAYS been the GTRs target.

And now it's slower. Good for Porsche!

And boo to Nissan, for not delivering on this heavy, ugly thing. 450 bhp? Seriously? That's fucking pussy horsepower these days. Vipers have 600, Vettes have 500, M5s have 500, F430s have 490...

450? Wow... That is very dissapointing, IMO.

pyar_deewane
01-25-2007, 11:33 PM

I dont know how...you get $115,000? what financial news are you reading?

well if you think about it....70,ooo US + CANADIAN CONVERSION + INFLATED MARKET COST + ALL FEES + DEALERSHIP MARKUP's...

there u go my friend:bigpimp:

95EagleAWD
01-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Bet it's more than 115K... like 130ish... 911TT prices, easy.

Revhard
01-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Seems like it's not worthy of it's heritage.
Sad, this was a chance to show off.
Maybe there is more than meets the eye though?:dunno:

tentacles
01-26-2007, 12:01 AM
I think they were too embarassed to put the Skyline name on it. The R32 GTR was faster than the fastest Porsche of the day and cost half as much, this one costs the same, is slower and uses the same V6 engine as the low-end Fairlady Z. :nut:

benyl
01-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Why are you all bitching? Most of us won't be able to afford one used let alone new.

Nissan has done a big turn around in the last few years. Part of that was using the same engine in all their cars.

Look at GM, Ford and Chrysler. They offer you variety and they lose $12B a year! Toyota hasn't had a car like this since 1996. Honda has nothing close to it. Mazda? They lie about hp.

You guys are slapping a gift horse in the mouth. No other Japanese manufacturer has a confirmed car coming out in this range. Sure, there is the Lexus LF-A or whatever, but that will be way more expensive and much much heavier. Toyota's new supra is a long ways away.

You are getting two turbos which makes it easy to tune more horsepower. Nissan could have very well made a high compression V8. You would then only have the expensive option of surpercharging for minimal gains.

Whatever. :whocares:

962 kid
01-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by tentacles
I think they were too embarassed to put the Skyline name on it. The R32 GTR was faster than the fastest Porsche of the day and cost half as much

LMAO!!! That's a joke right?

pgmatt
01-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Other then the fact the RB26 is mad tyte JDM what makes this such a better engine then the VQ?Im just glad to see a sports car from Japan again as there is a real lack of good ones any more.

ricefarmer
01-26-2007, 12:30 AM
you guys are way off if you think this car will cost more than 85 cdn. what happened to the last batch of sports cars that japan tried to market in NA close to this price range? I think they are even pushing the limits with this price. There is no way in hell anyone is going to pay 100gs for a Nissan.

and get over the 20s, for the difference in price im sure the GTR could be modded sufficiently to smoke the 911, like the article said, Nissan left room for improvement. These may have been comparable 25 years ago, but not anymore.

And to everyone who says Nissan is disgracing the Skyline name and its racing heritage blah blah blah. like benyl said QUIT BITCHING. this is the first time the GTR has been marketed and will be sold in NA. to the intended market, like benyl said is none of us, this may be the first time they have ever heard of a nissan Skyline.
The only people in NA who care about its "Dominence" and racing heritage are Fast and the Furious qouting ricers who can't afford one anyways.:drama:

962 kid
01-26-2007, 12:38 AM
and get over the 20s, for the difference in price im sure the GTR could be modded sufficiently to smoke the 911, like the article said, Nissan left room for improvement. These may have been comparable 25 years ago, but not anymore.

Or you could just buy the 911 for the same price and end up with a much, much, much better car :dunno: I think that's the biggest gripe I have with this car

ricefarmer
01-26-2007, 12:44 AM
I dont think you've priced out a new 911T lately, because if you had you would have given up trying to compare these cars long ago.

962 kid
01-26-2007, 12:49 AM
I dont think you've priced out a new 911T lately, because if you had you would have given up trying to compare these cars long ago.

I'm not the one comparing them haha, Nissan is. Nissan is the one touting this car as the "911 turbo killer," and the car simply has not lived up to the hype. VQ37HRTT = :thumbsdow

ricefarmer
01-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Oh well given the choice I'd rep the 911 over the GTR anyday:burnout:

dj_honda
01-26-2007, 12:54 AM
I like it and would probably buy one if I had the cash. Just like the old skylines i'm sure this thing can take more than 10psi of boost right off the bat. :burnout:

Originally posted by Revhard

Maybe there is more than meets the eye though?:dunno:

There always is, isn't there? I mean the car hasn't been released yet. What if once you get it and throw it on the dyno its putting down 450+ at the wheels lol. THey did that with the old skylines...You never know....then again it could be the other way around too.

C4S
01-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Let's face it .. it will be a nice car .. and it won't be $100K .. and it will be fast .. say 911S fast ..

However, will you take a 911 or a Nissan ? come on .. be honest!! :dunno:

18 yr ago .. R32 was a great car, and yes, it was slightly quicker then the 911 (964) and only half the price .. app. same price as E30 M3 back then ...

I can see this GTR compare with the new IS-F or E92 M3 or RS4 etc ..

But 911 ? :dunno:

benyl
01-26-2007, 09:15 AM
I think the car will be $50K USD.

That will make it about $70-$75K CAD. M3 or S4 territory.

alpha_gangsta
01-26-2007, 09:17 AM
I kind of skimmed the forum but did no one mention that that was 20 seconds slower with a test mule and supposed crowded track? I dont know if they can cut off 20 seconds from their time but I'd like to wait till they have an official track session with a finished model before I feed it to the 911 TT dogs. Anyone have the track times for the new Corvettes? that might be a more reasonable price/time comparison.

Its too bad Nissan couldnt stick with an Inline 6 but atleast its twin turbo and they purposely left some room for the tuners to play with.

4doorj
01-26-2007, 09:53 AM
i like it alot!!!
plus they said they left room for improvment for tuners and stuff!
i want one:drool:

rage2
01-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by alpha_gangsta
I kind of skimmed the forum but did no one mention that that was 20 seconds slower with a test mule and supposed crowded track? I dont know if they can cut off 20 seconds from their time but I'd like to wait till they have an official track session with a finished model before I feed it to the 911 TT dogs. Anyone have the track times for the new Corvettes? that might be a more reasonable price/time comparison.

Its too bad Nissan couldnt stick with an Inline 6 but atleast its twin turbo and they purposely left some room for the tuners to play with.
The new Z06 ran a 7:42, very close to the 911 TT. 20 seconds is easy to make up on a clear track. The Z06 ran it alone with zero traffic... GM rented out the whole track for the morning.

Whats the deal with ppl complaining that it's a V6 and not a Inline 6? Does it really matter how the engine's packaged?

tentacles
01-26-2007, 10:21 AM
With the I6, EVERYONE knows that interior legroom is not a concern for you.

Length of hood == length of penis. :love:

A3GTiVR6SC
01-26-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Whats the deal with ppl complaining that it's a V6 and not a Inline 6? Does it really matter how the engine's packaged?

no shit, Fairlady Z an the 350Z were both V6 an they did just fine...

wouldnt the I6 be heavier?

hussein
01-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Wow, I really like the look of it! I can't wait for them to come out.

T78Supra1
01-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I think the real problem with this car is the actual car.....if we are going to take a tuners point of view well then the skyline is nothing special.

Taking a tuners point of view the 350z and the GTR have the same platform. I would way rather do this

2005 350z $31,0000
HKS RS Suspension $2500.00
HKS Titanium Exhaust $1000,00
HKS Twin TO4Z w/intercooller and sequential BOV $8999.00
760CC Injectors 600.00
Feul Rail 400.00
HKS V-pro 3000.00

Equals=======600rwhp for a totall price of -----------$47499.00

As a tuner this 350z is Lighter faster and a porshe eater for half the price...add another $15,000 and you could also add a SuperCharger to get rid of the lag and it would still be cheaper.

max_boost
01-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I think the car will be $50K USD.

That will make it about $70-$75K CAD. M3 or S4 territory. This pricing makes sense. Everyone else who said it's going to be over $100k are smoking crack.

Genjuro
01-26-2007, 12:52 PM
mechanically there is nothing wrong with the VG/Q engine, its just the lack of power that it can produce and head room it has to produce, is simply not there. if i wanted a car that has the same engine that they put in a minivan or suv i would just do that swap.
they never did that with the inline 6 RB did they?

sure they made lighter rods and bulkier crank that is a 3.7 liter twin turbo, but compression on that is what creates the lack. the engine its self is going to be heavier and probably weaker since its all aluminum right? (please correct me if im wrong!)
"80% newer engineering and parts for the GT-R" ? ok thats fine... but its still built off the same engine they have in the 350/g35.

dont some of you see what the problem is yet?
this car is supposed to be a dream car.... a Porsche killer.

i'd rather get a RS4 imo.

962 kid
01-26-2007, 01:10 PM
I think the real problem with this car is the actual car.....if we are going to take a tuners point of view well then the skyline is nothing special.

Taking a tuners point of view the 350z and the GTR have the same platform. I would way rather do this

2005 350z $31,0000
HKS RS Suspension $2500.00
HKS Titanium Exhaust $1000,00
HKS Twin TO4Z w/intercooller and sequential BOV $8999.00
760CC Injectors 600.00
Feul Rail 400.00
HKS V-pro 3000.00

Equals=======600rwhp for a totall price of -----------$47499.00

As a tuner this 350z is Lighter faster and a porshe eater for half the price...add another $15,000 and you could also add a SuperCharger to get rid of the lag and it would still be cheaper.

Holy ricer math batman! If only it were that easy ;) you forgot to add in the cost of the forged internals/AEBS sleeves/ARP studs/clutch/labor/etc you would require to make 600whp on a VQ. After that if you still wanted to beat a 997tt, you'd need a set of killer tires and brakes, so add that to the cost as well and then well... you'd have a used (2005) track car :) not a car that is better than the porsche on the street and track. The point is, Nissan labelled the GTR as the porsche killer and it's now apparent that it's just a bullshit claim; it shouldn't require ANY mods in the first place if it really were a porsche killer.

Inline 6 is smoother than a V6, but I think most people are just adding it to the list of things to bitch about because it doesn't follow the "tradition" of using an I6 like previous GTR engines. Personally, my gripe with using the VQ is just the fact that it's some weaksauce French motor. The VQ35 requires substantial internal modifications to make over 500hp and I seriously doubt the VQ37 will be much different

Sorath
01-26-2007, 01:36 PM
so is it basically just a stroked vq35? :dunno: , power seems really low for power to weight ratios

85regal
01-26-2007, 01:56 PM
wow, it's amazing the numbers people are pulling out of there asses. and can someone please provide some proof the vq is weak and/or weaker then the i6. and don't throw numbers about what so and so has put through a stock bottom end.

Mr_ET
01-26-2007, 03:15 PM
You guys should be impressed that a test mule was only 20 seconds off one of the best street cars in the world.

Before making more comments on horsepower, looks, price, performance and such wait for it to reach dealerships.

Then judge the real final package.

This car will probably start a new era and you will all laugh at this thread when you find it on google in 5 years:D

redline
01-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
This pricing makes sense. Everyone else who said it's going to be over $100k are smoking crack.

initial reports were that is was going to be 90K us:eek:

redline
01-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
You guys should be impressed that a test mule was only 20 seconds off one of the best street cars in the world.
:D

since the 996 was on the track by itself and the nissan was not and that track is about 12miles around 20sec is not that bad

Mike09
01-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by redline

initial reports were that is was going to be 90K us:eek:
They said around $70k in the article.

And the VQ motor is a great motor with excellent reliablity just like the VGDETT before it. Nissan is great at building supremely reliable motors excluding the QR25 of coarse. I think this car will be simply amazing on it's release to north america.

rage2
01-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Genjuro
if i wanted a car that has the same engine that they put in a minivan or suv i would just do that swap.
they never did that with the inline 6 RB did they?
I'm sure the engine in the GTR is a LOT different than the same family motor in a minivan. It's like saying the K series honda motors suck because it's in the CRV as well. Retarded.

No, the RB didn't go into many other cars. Unfortunately, the RB and SR series motors were so expensive to produce it nearly killed Nissan off completely. It makes ZERO business sense to build a car like the GTR today, unless it's a loss leader, and only Toyota really can afford to do that (and even they don't!).

Originally posted by 962 kid
Inline 6 is smoother than a V6, but I think most people are just adding it to the list of things to bitch about because it doesn't follow the "tradition" of using an I6 like previous GTR engines. Personally, my gripe with using the VQ is just the fact that it's some weaksauce French motor. The VQ35 requires substantial internal modifications to make over 500hp and I seriously doubt the VQ37 will be much different
Tradition... haha it's called progress. People have to learn to deal with it. Imagine how much $ Nissan has to spend in order to make the RB26 emissions worthy. That along with the cost of production on a RB26 (it was the most expensive motor to produce in Nissan history) it would make the new GT-R $150k US a piece to make it profitable.

heavyD
01-26-2007, 05:04 PM
$70K US for an AWD Japanese Sports car? I'll take an EVO X at half the price and most of the performance. Thanks.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-26-2007, 05:10 PM
The whole "NEW GT-R!!!!111" thing has been pretty underwhelming from the get-go. It's not particularly good-looking, it's not particularly powerful, it really just hasn't lived up to the hype.

T78Supra1
01-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Arguing about this Car is pointless.

No body know anything forsure its all speculation.
As for the price nobody knows however my brother at Brasso Nissan was told it would be between 85,000 and 105,000 with the Sport Package and Technology package what ever that means. But even he said its all up in the air.

He also told me that only one or two will becoming between all the the dealerships in Calgary. It will be on an order basis.

So the truth is nobody really know anything really about this car untill its launch.

Holy ricer math batman! If only it were that easy you forgot to add in the cost of the forged internals/AEBS sleeves/ARP studs/clutch/labor/etc you would require to make 600whp on a VQ. After that if you still wanted to beat a 997tt, you'd need a set of killer tires and brakes, so add that to the cost as well and then well... you'd have a used (2005) track car not a car that is better than the porsche on the street and track. The point is, Nissan labelled the GTR as the porsche killer and it's now apparent that it's just a bullshit claim; it shouldn't require ANY mods in the first place if it really were a porsche killer.

Your Right!!!!!! Thats why a 2JZ or an RB26 is a such a better engine... No Engine Internals have to be changed or reinforced to get 600rwp.

heavyD
01-26-2007, 05:35 PM

So the truth is nobody really know anything really about this car untill its launch.

And truth be told in the big picture.....outside of the 250 or so people that will own one and the legion of Nissan & JDM fanboys jerking off over its magazine pictures, nobody will really care about the car.

A790
01-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

And truth be told in the big picture.....outside of the 250 or so people that will own one and the legion of Nissan & JDM fanboys jerking off over its magazine pictures, nobody will really care about the car.
There are a LOT of JDM fanboys. Don't underestimate the size of the market.

I don't think the point is to produce a mainstream vehicle here and a lot of people don't realize that. The GTR will be a flagship for some new performance vehicles from Nissan, or it will at least bring attention to Nissan.

I bet 350z sales go up after the GTR launch.

RickDaTuner
01-26-2007, 07:58 PM

No, the RB didn't go into many other cars. Unfortunately, the RB and SR series motors were so expensive to produce it nearly killed Nissan off completely. It makes ZERO business sense to build a car like the GTR today, unless it's a loss leader, and only Toyota really can afford to do that (and even they don't!).

YES!

It was all those "special Project" cars that almost sent Nissan Into bankruptcy, building a specific engine for one specific car on one specific chassis is far... far to expensive for most auto manufactures nowadays hence the climbing trend on multiple car sharing the same chassis from all the major manufacturers.

anyway have most of you guys forgotten that the R34 come only with 260 hp, this is a great improvement power wise over the previous models,

Justing
01-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by A790

There are a LOT of JDM fanboys. Don't underestimate the size of the market.

k... but how many of these JDM fanboys can afford the car?

95EagleAWD
01-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Justing

None!

A790
01-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Justing

A lot more than you think. There's a lot more people interested in this type of car than your typical late-teens to early-twenties enthusiest.

Let say it shows up for $90,000... good performance, twin turbo, AWD, and rarity make it a good option for another toy. Studies have shown that people in the US and Canada spend a great deal on their cars, and I'm willing to bet that the GTR will have the same relative success for Nissan as the NSX has for Honda.

Let's not forget the real purpose of this car- to get you into Nissan's dealerships.

H4LFY2nR
01-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Why doesn't anyone have faith in the VQ? The Nissan Super GT teams have been using VQ30DETT's since 2003, and they get 500hp out them without them blowing up. Way back when Nissan had the first test mule on Nurburging it was rumored that Nissan was actually consulting the Super GT teams about turbocharging the VQ. Styling is subjective, and I think it looks good, no less ugly than the previous GTRs. It should be a great car considering there hasn't been any exciting cars from japanese manufactures in years.

iceburns288
01-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid
Only the VQ non-REVUP. The REVUP got a strengthened block and better oil flow, and of course new, stronger rods. The new 35HR gets even stronger rods. Yeah it takes a lot of money to make 600whp on a VQ, but on a REVUP, 400-450whp doesn't require a build.

Anyways, Nissan isn't dumb enough to put a weak motor in their top-of-the-line car, no matter what.

iceburns288
01-27-2007, 09:21 AM
http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/september06/vq35hr/

scat19
01-27-2007, 05:14 PM
That would be E92 M3.

e90 = 4 dr
e92 = 2dr coupe
e93 = 2dr convert

heavyD
01-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm willing to bet that the GTR will have the same relative success for Nissan as the NSX has for Honda.

FYI: The NSX sold pretty poorly after the first few years.

Toms-SC
01-28-2007, 02:28 AM
neat

95EagleAWD
01-28-2007, 04:04 AM

And didn't really sell at all outside of North America, where it was not badged as an Acura, but a Honda.

A790
01-28-2007, 01:38 PM

Hence the term "relative success".

The NSX did it's job of changing Acuras image and getting people into dealerships.

95EagleAWD
01-28-2007, 01:56 PM

Hence the term "relative success".

The NSX did it's job of changing Acuras image and getting people into dealerships.

Not to sure what you mean by that, since the NSX was Acura's second (or third, can't remember if the Integra was out yet) model, and the Legend sedan and coupe were already selling well. The NSX was Honda's halo car, and a car used to celebrate their F1 success at the time.

Hollywood
02-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Disapointing. VQ=lameness. Hey look we put a minivan, maxima, 350z engine in our top of the line flagship car.....?:thumbsdow

Nissan sold out. If they could not have done it right, then they should not have done it at all.

andres_mt
02-03-2007, 03:28 PM
It's good that they put a V6 in that thing...skylines aren't the most spacious of vehicles..haha

dino_martini
02-03-2007, 08:42 PM
its a cool looking car I'll admit. If I had alot of money to play with I'd buy one just to be able to say that I own the new Nissan GTR. But if I only had enough money for one fun sunday run car I'd choose the Porsche. We will have to see how this car turns out though..

wheelz
02-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Wow its pretty funny reading all this. My thoughts, since countless others have already shared their are;

Nissan used the VQ because its their latest engine. The RB was probably at the end of its useful cycle as a production engine. In the near future we will probably see alot of power out of VQ's. As well an alloy V6 alloys for better weight distribution compared to a straight six. This should help in the handling.

The horsepower numbers are only speculated and remember that the R33 GTR had way more power stock than Nissan said.

The lap times are not bad considering it is a test mule so it was wearing a ton of crap to hide lines, as well as being filled with a ton of computer gear for data logging.

I cant wait to see final numbers. As for competition I think the closest, other than 911 will be the new Lexus LFA that is now been tested on the same track.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=105484

schocker
02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/699/dscf0405ta0.jpg
Now they are testing or have been testing in the US. Very cool.
Back story

Around 5:30 Monday night, Keith (evo4g63) and I were heading down Cerrillos Road when we spotted the silver prototype Nissan Skyline, along with 2 black Armadas turning into an Amigo Mart on the opposite side of the road. Being that this was a rare sighting, we quickly flipped a "U" and pulled into the station. As we pulled in, the car surrounded by roughly 12 Asian guys who were logging information. Hoping that they spoke English, we decided to get down to talk with them about the car. I asked one of the guys what he thought of the car, and you guessed it, he had no idea what I was saying. However, he did manage to whisper a question into my ear, "you know GTR", in which I replied, "heck yes". As he asked me that, I noticed a large bulge on the right hand side of the covered interior. To my pleasant surprise it was a Japanese version Skyline equipped with factory turbos. We spoke with the reps from Nissan Japan a bit longer, and after a good 10-15 minutes of leg humping, let them get back on the road. The car has Michigan plates, and is being tested on US roads, so make sure to keep an eye out for it!

wheelz
02-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Now they are testing or have been testing in the US. Very cool.
Back story
[/B]

I have a friend who is not that into cars anymore tell me that he saw the new GTR in calgary about a month ago. He was asking how much they were, I told him they arent for sale yet. He does know all bout the 350 and the G35. He owned a 350 and now owns a G35 coupe, so its safe to say it wasnt one of them, or a modified version of one.

SinisterProbeGt
02-08-2007, 09:04 PM
I wonder if it will put up similar numbers to a TT setup on a current g35 or 350Z

A790
02-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Not to sure what you mean by that, since the NSX was Acura's second (or third, can't remember if the Integra was out yet) model, and the Legend sedan and coupe were already selling well. The NSX was Honda's halo car, and a car used to celebrate their F1 success at the time.

The Integra was out and selling well already.

The NSX placed the Honda and Acura brands in the sights and minds of performance enthusiasts. When it came out people went "wow! look at what Honda is capable of". It's technology and performance were light years ahead of its time.

Since then the NSX has remained an icon; a figure of Japanese supercar nobility... as has the GTR and the RX7TT.

This new GTR will set Nissan into the performance catagory globally, and offer their top end machine to some of the worlds richest people.

The NSX wasn't phenominal sales wise, but who's the say the related sales (people whom bought the Integra GSR or whatever)
didn't go up?

Because, if you look at the figures, they did.

schocker
02-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by wheelz

I have a friend who is not that into cars anymore tell me that he saw the new GTR in calgary about a month ago. He was asking how much they were, I told him they arent for sale yet. He does know all bout the 350 and the G35. He owned a 350 and now owns a G35 coupe, so its safe to say it wasnt one of them, or a modified version of one.
crazy, that would be wicked to see. especially with calgary weather though, being so random and all, i dont see why car manufacturers wouldnt test here, warm and nice one day, freezing and snowed over the next day, what could be better to test the car in these conditions opposed to a straightforward hot or cold weather test. :thumbsup: