PDA

View Full Version : jeep tjs

3G
01-26-2007, 12:35 AM
im currently looking at these things, the 2.5cyl one, im not looking to go offroading, jsut as a driver, would u guys recommend it? any common problems to look out for etc?

EnRich
01-26-2007, 09:45 AM
I enjoy jeeps in the summer time with everything down, the doors off etc. My buddy owns the the 6 cylinder version 2003TJ. After riding in the thing several times at all times of the year, I would never in my life buy one... Firstly, their uncomfortable, they bounce around all over the road. The ride quality is much worse then my accord after I had it lowered, you feel every single bump on the road, they eat gas like its going out of style, my friend gets 350 km per tank, which is about 40 - 45 bucks. In the winter, even with all wheel drive, that car is just as good if not worse then my accord on same patch of ice. Thats just my opinion. The 4 cylinder version is the shits.

Mitsu3000gt
01-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Jeeps are TRASH IMO. They are pretty much the most uncomfortable vehicle on the road (from my experience), have bare metal showing everywhere and have a horrendous ride. The interior is just as bad IMO. They ride/sound like a tractor. They are purpose built offroad vehicles and are OK at that because they have not much overhang and such. Also the entire dash is terrible IMO. I truely think they cost about $5000 to build, probably less, and new ones should go for about $10,000 instead of the 20+ they (somehow) sell them for. Save your money and buy literally anything else. Oh, they aren't safe at all either. I'd rather have $10,000 worth of bus tickets, but you REALLY want one then it doesn't matter what we say. If you want a road vehicle, the Jeep is not it.

doublet
01-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Absolutly not. I owned a 1998 Jeep TJ for 6 years and if it wouldn't have been for school I would still have it. Anything newer the 1997 is a comfortable ride. After 1997 Jeep moved from leaf spings to coils springs on all corners. With the coil spring now you have a nice ride. As far as the gas deal. It isn't as cheap as a civic but not near the 350km/tank with a $40 fill. I was getting around 450km per tank with a $35-$40 fill. In the snow/ice they are indestructable. put it in 4wd drive and you can go anywhere. I drive hwy 22 to crowsnest pass for work and to calgary for school. Ice and snow where not a problem. 110km/hr passing hondas on the hwy with ice/snow was not an uncommon occurance. I would also regularrly drive out to louise and had no problem fitting my snowboard and my gf snowboard (both 156cm length) I also went to the track with a sales man not once during the test did I feel like the jeep was going to tip even at high speed. That is all because of those 4 coil springs. My only suggestion that it you get a 6 cyl instead on the 4 cyl. IMO the best SUV you could possible get for the money.

Mitsu3000gt
01-26-2007, 11:43 AM
^^^^ Just saying from my experiences with them, a couple of my friends had them (all girls, they love them for some reason).
They were newer than 2000. 4 coil springs don't exactly make things un-tippable either, it is not a new invention, just new to the Jeep. That motor is pretty out dated too.

I'd also almost rather be hit by a car on a bicycle than in a jeep, I can't imagine what would happen to one of those things in a T-bone collision or something like that.

Oh and going 110km/h on ice/snow covered highways is absolutely retarded. It doesn't matter what you drive, you can't stop or steer well on snow/ice at 110km/h.

Why would you ever drive a jeep on the track? It would be one of the worst vehicles possible for that. You must of not been cornering very hard if it felt stable. They are not at all designed for that, they are a purpose built off road vehicle.

There are reasons why the "big 3" american companies are all billions of dollars in debt right now and having their worst years ever.

to the OP: Just go drive a jeep, then drive pretty much any other SUV or whatever else your considering, and the choice will become easy. Take a look at how its built and the interior and ask yourself if it's even worth half the money being asked. If you can't tell the difference, then ignore everything i've said and do whatever you want to do.

TKRIS
01-26-2007, 12:46 PM
When I sill had mine, I was always wondering why anyone would want to own one unless they were wheeling it.
When mine was stock, it rode like shit. Not as bad as the leaf-sprung YJ's and CJ's, but worse than almost anything else I've ever driven.
While stock, braking, highway driving, and acceleration weren't too terrible, but that was with a 4.0L and 3.55's.
In general, even when it was stock, it wasn't a nice driving vehicle.
After the 4" lift and 33's, it rode worse. Acceleration and highway driving goes to shit unless you regear. Braking sucks, and the Jeep will often pull to the side when braking hard. Gas milage didn't get much worse, but drivability suffered.

Now don't get the wrong impression. I loved that Jeep.
But I loved it for how it drove off the road, not on it. The biggest factor in my selling it was that I didn't have time to go wheeling anymore, so there was no point in having it.

There are far too many 4x4 asphalt queens and mall wheelers out there already.
You're going to have to put up with a lot of inconvenience for a what sounds like a status symbol.

Also: 4cyl's suck. The only came with the D30 front and D35 rear (no option for the D44).
If you're going to get a TJ, and you can't afford a Rubicon, at least get a 5spd 6cyl with a D44 rear and as much gear as possible.

Kris

EDIT: FWIW, if you want a Jeep to drive on thr street, buy a Grand Cherokee. I sold my TJ and bought a WJ. Sure, the TJ was a beast and would go up a muddy 75* hill, but the WJ's got heated leather seats...

EnRich
01-26-2007, 02:37 PM
see I told you their pieces of shit. TKRIS said it best. The jeeps are a status symbol...

gram
01-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Don't expect to get one for cheap. Resale is very good on them.

justincalgary
01-26-2007, 03:09 PM
I completely disagree with almost everyone on TJ's

First off, TJ's are the best thing I have ever driven in snow, complete control at all times, due to the short wheel base.

You can park anywhere you want due to the size of them and you can actually do a u-turn unlike other 4 wheel drive trucks.

Awesome in the winter even better in the summer.

The person getting 350km's in a tank is either driving it like a race car or needs some cleaning under the hood. I almost always got 425 km per tank.

I didn't find it un-comfortable at all, lots of leg and head room and the arm rest is actually in a comfortable spot.

There are 2 downfalls to jeeps though

1. No cargo room at all, the only reason I sold mine. Wish I kept it though since we bought a Liberty, don't need the cargo space now.

2. Never ever buy a 2.5L, they are absolutely gutless, I have owned 3 jeeps, one being a 2.5L and that was the worst mistake ever.

Jeeps For The Win....just walk up to someone in a parking lot that is driving one and they will say the same thing.

clem24
02-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Oh and going 110km/h on ice/snow covered highways is absolutely retarded. It doesn't matter what you drive, you can't stop or steer well on snow/ice at 110km/h.

:werd: Sounds like the typical retarded/arrogant/ignorant SUV driver that think they are invincible and fly by everyone in the snow.. Only to be in the ditch further up the highway. What a loser. :thumbsdow

3g4me
02-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Jeep TJ isnt made to be competing with luxurious suvs ITS AN OFF ROAD VEHICLE. That is its main purpose and everybody who buys them knows this. I personally love my TJ and wouldnt trade it in for any other suv except maby the new 4 door tj unlimited that thing is pimp ass. Also the tj RULES in the snow and on ice, it beats anything ive driven in the snow, and ive tried em all.

hjr
02-08-2007, 05:21 PM
you want a reasonably priced, decent gas mileage, all wheel drive, sportish get around vehicle? look at older subaru legacy's. i cant stress that enough, check them out. (if you dont like, then at least you tried, haha)

also, dont know about reliablity, but ive been quite fond of the jeep cherokee (4L). it rides pretty well, nice enough interior, good power, fun 4wd. its not everything, but its a nice vehicle in my experience (my sister owns one right now)

3g4me
02-09-2007, 11:13 AM
^ i want to actually try out a subaru in the winter it seems like a pretty fun car to drive in snow and ice.

2BLUE
02-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Only buy a jeep that is a 6 not the 2.5

3g4me
02-14-2007, 10:00 AM
U mean 4L not 2.5L?
or 6 cyl not 4 cly.

RedApe
03-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Ugh...yet another discussion about rigs, by people that have never owned them (save for a few in this thread).

My opinions, FWIW:
TJ: coils = smoother ride than the leaf sprung older bretheren (YJ, CJ), but unpredicatble. They wobble, and lane change.
4.0L vs 2.5 Peugot: 4.0L is good for about 300,000Km's before it's end of life, but is geared at 3.07:1 or optional 3.55 or 3.73. 2.5 was geared at 4.10:1

D30 and 35, vs D30 and D44. Useless discussion, unless you're going to a "medium" sized off road tire (35" - 38"). I know of lots of YJ's, XJ's, and TJ's that run 33" Swampers on D35's w/o issues. On the same front, I've seen D44 rear on 33's blow up with little in the way of abuse. The D44 is far from the best axle solution available.

Open topped Jeeps are NOT warm. If this is concern (comfort), don't get one.

If you're stuck on the concept of (shudder at the word) SUV, get a Suzuki Sidekick (cheap to buy/maintain, reliable). If AWD is what yer lookin fer, as mentioned above, mid 90's Legacy.

talorel
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I have an 06 TJ, took it on the road last year - 5200 km in 9 days down to Nevada (scenic route). It's not a luxury ride, but there is alot of head and leg room, and it was comfortable enough to drive 17 straight hours. Gas consumption was about 450 km to the tank (give or take), which I was quite happy with. If you want cargo space, look at the 4 door Unlimited - almost the same turning radius as the TJ. Test drove one in Vegas - handles better than mine and felt alot more stable on road and off (not that I'm trading mine in).

I have hard top and soft top, and neither has a very high insulating value - but it has a good heater, so not really an issue for me.

I haven't done any serious off-roading in it, just some light stuff for fun - as it is my only vehicle, I'm SOL if I wreck it. At some point I'll have a second vehicle (probably another Jeep), and at that time I can push this one. I hope.