PDA

View Full Version : Tiffin

Kritafo
01-26-2007, 10:58 PM
So thanks to you guys on the board we treated our taste buds and went to Tiffin tonight, we just missed meat patties at Lloyds. That is what we had gone for.

Anyhow..we had the lamb curry and spinach curry..with the extra hot sauce from the back, not the tangy red sauce in the trays. It was fantastic. We will definitely be going back. So thanks to all who recommended it!

My husband and I have been talking about it for about 2 hours! haha!

EK 2.0
01-26-2007, 11:14 PM
haha see I told you so...I love that place...:drool:

If you are up for it next time instead of ordering the various curries they have in the front...order stuff off of the BBQ menu...ribs, chicken, and the other various East Indian treats haha...

Tiffin is the only E.I. place that I don't feel guilty about eating at. You know when comparing it to mommy's.

R!zz0
01-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Butterchicken and yogurt shake (Salted) :drool:
I'm goin to tiffin's tomorrow :D

Kritafo
01-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Yeah I agree Tiffin was great. The hardest part was seeing the food but wanting to order from the menu. Next time we won't go starving. We both wanted to try to the ribs. Some other customers had ordered and when it came out it looked and smelled fantastic!

Salted yougurt shake. ...since I am lactose intolerant I will leave that to my hubby. He is game for just about anything. He was very happy that Tiffin was great and it wasn't a disappiontment.

EK 2.0
01-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
He was very happy that Tiffin was great and it wasn't a disappiontment.

I for one would not have pushed it as hard as I did if I thought there was a chance of it not being everything I had said...

Kritafo
01-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Yeah but I have been to places that people have said, oh you like that place you should try this other place. haha!

But it worked out great. That is why I love these threads!

Learn something new everyday!

So thanks very much!

B17a
01-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Those ribs are hot as hell! Tiffin's is great though. I highly recommend.

Kritafo
03-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Tiffin!!!

Went back to tiffin today, had some of the ribs, got the hot, was scared of the extra hot. Everyone else had the buffet style but we did get the red sauce from the back. They are awesome at Tiffin.

Spoke with the owners son? He was great, couldn't believe our son was eating everything the rip roarin' red sauce. I wish I knew what the sauce is called it's incredible though. Always enjoyable and would never have found it without beyond! Thanks

They only had strawberry Fanta and I was hoping for orange, but did get the rubicon passion drink. Family got papaya mango nectar drink. Can't wait to go back forgot to try the shake though!

Kritafo
03-10-2007, 08:46 PM
sorry my hubby corrected me, I think it was the owners brother. Super, super nice.

kevie88
03-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Alright, I need to know now:

Where is this Tiffin place you speak of? :D

Weapon_R
03-10-2007, 09:05 PM
It's by the Telus building near the 28th street SE and Memorial Drive intersection (across the street from BPs and Swiss Chalet)

kevie88
03-10-2007, 09:36 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Do they have a Sunday (or weekday) Buffet? I need my papri chat and Vindaloo fix!!

and I could go for some papadums right now :drool:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

hussein
03-10-2007, 10:47 PM
What, you like papar? ewww lol, I am more of a puree man, myself. haha.

Yea, the ribs at Tiffin are the boooooomb. Everything is really good.

Near by there, there is a place called Safari Grill, I think, it is also quite good.

nj2Type-S
03-10-2007, 11:42 PM
i duno much east indian dishes but are most dishes really spicy??? i'm kinda scared to try it for that reason, lol...i love butter chicken, though! :thumbsup:

R!zz0
03-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by hussein

Near by there, there is a place called Safari Grill, I think, it is also quite good.

Watchout when you go there...He will add few extra bucks on your bill and you won't even know it. So many people have caught him (Including myself) His food is good, but not better then Tiffin.

Dj_Stylz
03-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
It's by the Telus building near the 28th street SE and Memorial Drive intersection (across the street from BPs and Swiss Chalet)

I think i might have to check it out tommrow

EK 2.0
03-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Dj_Stylz

I think i might have to check it out tommrow

I am not sure if they are open on Sunday's...

Kritafo
03-11-2007, 09:43 AM
They are not open on Sunday and close around 9 pm daily. Most of their business is lunch.

We had butter chicken, we had went for spinach and lamb curry but they didn't have any so we had butter chicken and a beef dish along with the ribs.

Yes it's spicey. Very spicey. I love it though. I am having leftover for breakfast now! haha!

We went to Safari grill and a bunch of people said go to Tiffin, the Safari grill is a much cozier atmosphere, but if you want good food Tiffin is it.

We didn't have any problems with Safari Grill adding to our bill, but the opposite, he didn't charge us for our 2 kids chicken meals.

Regardless if we had company we would go to Safari but for ourselves...Tiffin.

rm777
03-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0

Watchout when you go there...He will add few extra bucks on your bill and you won't even know it. So many people have caught him (Including myself) His food is good, but not better then Tiffin.

Wow. What an idiot. It is kind of funny though. Good jog on catching him.

n1zm0
03-11-2007, 07:04 PM
i found tiffin to be a ripoff and the roti is :thumbsdow , for the same amount of money (or less) i can goto Punjab Sweets Buffet near autodream and stuff my face with as many curries as i want all at once, and the naan is free and non stop. always go back to class sleepy :thumbsup:

I've seen the grandma cook in the back so you know it's the bomb! service is unquestionably the best (for our group at least)

edit: this is the Tiffin next to China Rose ( :barf: )

Kritafo
03-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Well I don't know the other place, but will give it shot. We definately liked Tiffin though.

n1zm0
03-12-2007, 04:33 PM
^ the plaza behind auto dream,
http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/9691/asdho1.jpg

Follow the road that leads into the cul-de-sac, called 'Apna Punjab Sweets'

Kritafo
03-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks, is it eat in or more take out? What about for bringing visitors ? nice atmosphere or just fabulous food. Either way I don't care!

n1zm0
03-12-2007, 06:24 PM
you go in put you coat on a table of choice, grab a plate and go at it! halfways through your first plate the bread comes. mmmm :drool: it's a buffet but you can buy anything to take home.

they usually have tons of space cept lunch on fridays where your lucky to get a seat. so ya bring as many people as you like i guess.

Kritafo
03-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Sorry, I forgot you said buffet. So it's only buffet?

n1zm0
03-12-2007, 10:16 PM
no you can order anything on the menu if you'd lke but for 8.XX$ (sry i forgot how much but its 8 something for sure) buffet you cant refuse!

sjaswal
03-26-2007, 10:50 PM
tiffen...yeah it's ok not great.
Tried it once (on reccomendation) kind of like mall food same setup/environment.
not running back for seconds.

Most people I know non-indian think indian food tastes good even when it is crap.

Kritafo
04-07-2007, 10:32 AM
So we tried your Apna Punjab Sweets yesterday.

I don't know if it was an off day, but nothing seemed spiced the naan didn't just keep coming. We were told 4 buffets 4 naan. We pretty much had everything between the 4 of us. None of it was impressive. Just the bill....how can you not like $8 for buffet!

yesterday was a holiday so like I said...maybe it was an off day?

TeamBestBud
04-07-2007, 12:20 PM

I don't know if it was an off day, but nothing seemed spiced the naan didn't just keep coming. We were told 4 buffets 4 naan. We pretty much had everything between the 4 of us. None of it was impressive. Just the bill....how can you not like $8 for buffet!

Nah, that place is pretty hurt. You have to be pretty lucky to get some damn good service from them. Last time I went with my family they said the turned off the tandoor and stopped making naan while we were eating. They wouldn't bring out anymore naan and we got frustrated and left.

There samosas are damn good though.:drool:

n1zm0
04-07-2007, 12:23 PM
i dunno, i'm pretty sure its because of our constant appearances, maybe they are catering to that (I mean the guy would bring out a plate of chicken just for our table if my friend* told him theres no more chicken), we only go during weekdays at around 12(I think they open at 11:30 ish so everything is quite fresh when we get there).

Also i believe they change cooks from day to day :dunno: , sometimes you can tell there is a difference in amount of spice and such.

Mind you i don't speak a word of punjabi, nor am i of East Indian background, *but the people i go with are and maybe it has something to do with that.

But sorry you had a 'not up to what i said' kind of time, all i can say is try something from their menu, it's quite a bit i.e: the Mutton/Lamb Biryani. :drool: or come back during those times.

p.s: i dont understand the 4 buffet part?

Kritafo
04-07-2007, 12:41 PM
4 of us went to buffet...2 kids 2 adults. I meant they told us because we had 4 orders of buffet we got 4 naans with our meal.

We walked in and nobody was around, even though the restaurant had lots of people in it. We finally just took a table. I thought about ordering from the menu because I totally love lamb.

I do think it helps to eat with people from the same ethnic background. It will never stop me from going in though!

ahhh maybe another day. The problem is during the weekdays we are both working, kids in school. Since hubby had Friday off we took the opportunity to go up.

Still, it was better than McD's anyday. I have eaten far worse, its just another experience. Good or bad, my kids and husband and I love to try new places and new food. :nut:

n1zm0
04-07-2007, 01:02 PM
ya the idea is totally throw your jackets down and go at it, its really an honour system where you could pretty much leave without paying at the right moment, but ya, they won't seat you but they do notice when you come in.

if youre bent on trying new stuff and you've never been to Nando's Chicken on 32nd and 32nd NE then you should, i go there more than i goto Apna. You won't be dissapointed at all with that place, best chicken, best sauce ever from a food chain.!

Kritafo
04-07-2007, 02:22 PM
yah I have been to Nandos. I have complained to the owner of Nancos of piss poor service. Spilled drinks and cold food. Told us to get fountain pop because of the kids then never got a single refill.

I love Nandos in BC, but was very disappointed on our first trip in Calgary. However I do my own chicken with their incredible sauces
Second trip was better, but I am in no hurry to go back.

R!zz0
04-11-2007, 12:55 AM
^^I am sick of eating nandos. Great food, but had too much of it. Their pop tastes more like diet pop.

Skaught
04-18-2007, 06:26 PM
I love Tiffin, live and also work 2 blocks form there and I am there at least once a week. And for a counter service place the service is better than Safari. Safari is terrible.

The food at Tiffin is great. I also love Apna Punjab and a regular there.

APNA has the best Indian food anyplace imho. But the service sucks. Just think that it is a self service place and then it is not so bad. I sometimes write down my order and take it to them at the front and that sems to speed up the process a great deal.

The butter chicken is sooooooo good. But so is everything else on the menu.

NATAS.KAUPAS
04-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Tiffin for lunch today. Not bad. Small portions. Clean.

Hollywood
04-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by NATAS.KAUPAS
Tiffin for lunch today. Not bad. Small portions. Clean.

Ya thats my review too.

I do like being able to get the green salsa as well as the yogurt with my meal for no extra cost. I like the mix of cool/spicy.

Dj_Stylz
05-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Went there yesterday, it wasn't as good as all of you are making it out to be.

Kritafo
06-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Went to Tiffin yesterday and they have stopped making the spicy chutney from the back you have to ask for. Said for all the effort hardly worth it as hardly anyone asks for it. Even in the freezer it's only good for a month.

Very sad. Love that stuff. Anyone know a recipe like that chutney?

It was packed in the place yesterday Mango Lassi was terrific as always, fantastic service and the lamb was fabulous as always. We got the family pack 4 meats, 4 veggies rice and a dozen rotti. Came home with enough for another meal. $52.00 with 2 mango lassi's.

nismodrifter
06-21-2009, 01:12 PM

Apna Punjab is hands down the shittiest Indian restaurant (service wise) in town. Went there once, will never ever return. They ran out of utensils, no rice, nobody picking up dishes, nobody refilling water, nobody gives a shit. Why even bother opening if you are going to run a place like that????

Kritafo
06-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Apna Punjab is hands down the shittiest Indian restaurant (service wise) in town. Went there once, will never ever return. They ran out of utensils, no rice, nobody picking up dishes, nobody refilling water, nobody gives a shit. Why even bother opening if you are going to run a place like that????

We went there from a recommendation from n1zm0.

We though the same...crappy. that was March 07 when I post that.