PDA

View Full Version : Oil change and stereo...

97'Scort
01-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Question 1: Went to change the oil, and the drain plug will not come out. It's not really loose, as I still need a wrench to turn it, but it spins freely and will not thread out. Is something messed up or am I just retarded and there is some special technique I should be using? The plug is not leaking, if that makes a difference.

Question 2: I'm swapping in my head unit this week. Before I get started, I noticed there's a little red light blinking on the factory stereo. Is the security system wired through the radio? If it is, does that mean I have to re-locate the factory radio in order for the car to work, or is there a work-around?

Thanks guys!

scat19
01-28-2007, 11:56 AM
If you read my horror story at minute lube last week, then I think i Know your problem.

You've gone and snapped your drain plug in half. The end is in tight, and the part which you can spin, is loose but wont come out. Try to get a flat head screw driver behing it and pry as you turn it. The drain plug is hollow, so you should be able to get a hex, or torex type bit and jam it in the hollow part, and turn it out.

Now you need to get a new plug and clean out the threads, because they might be damaged. Good luck man.

97'Scort
01-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I read that and it's what I suspected. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

Anyone know about the stereo?

The Cosworth
01-28-2007, 02:31 PM
From my understanding, its the alarm so someone doesnt steal your stereo not your actual car alarm

Call visions and say you are interested in getting a deck through them and want to know if this will cause a problem with your alarm

I know with older cav's that the airbag would shut off if you took the stereo out and didnt put a component in

97'Scort
01-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Update:

Good news: Oil plug had snapped cleanly and had not damaged any threads. New one put in, leak stopped! Also, stereo is a straight-across din mount with a $25 harness.

Bad news: As part of the deal with the guy I bought it from, the rear control arm bushings are being replaced by him by BMW, along with the alignment. The nuts on the tie rods are completely seized up, and cannot come off. Stealership dings me $350 for new tie rods and labour.... arg.

:banghead:

Joe-G
11-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Sorry to bump this thread, but how exactly did you manage to pull the rest out? Ill be doing an oil change soon and im not sure what i'd do if the thing seized and snapped.

5000Audi
11-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth
From my understanding, its the alarm so someone doesnt steal your stereo not your actual car alarm

Call visions and say you are interested in getting a deck through them and want to know if this will cause a problem with your alarm

I know with older cav's that the airbag would shut off if you took the stereo out and didnt put a component in

that is untrue mate... the only thing that stops working when you put a deck in the cavalier was the door chime and headlight left on chime... the airbags still worked... the cord needed to swap the deck into the trunk of the car costs like 100 bucks...

i thought the same thing after reading about it so i went to AutoTemp..the one guy that works there has a 04 Cav Ztype and he did the deck install w/o the cord and told me its only the chimes that stop working...and he is a audio guy that CMP sends all thier cars too..so i belive the little red light on this guys BMW is a security device to make the deck not work if it is pulled out and reinstalled...thats my guess on the bmw style

97'Scort
11-14-2008, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Joe-G
Sorry to bump this thread, but how exactly did you manage to pull the rest out? Ill be doing an oil change soon and im not sure what i'd do if the thing seized and snapped.

Take allen wrench, hammer the end in, & screw the sucker out. Not too bad really.