PDA

View Full Version : Retarted drivers! *rant*

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-28-2007, 03:38 AM
So I was driving northbound on Macleod (sp) leaving chinook, in the far right lane, when some truck started to change lanes, and those who know me, know I've been pushed out of my lane 3 times now. BUT This time, not so much as I had no where to go, so he sideswiped me. Damaged bout 1/2 way thru the drivers side door and back, leaving huge scratches and pushing in the rear panel as well as removing part of the side mouldings. So... tomorrow i'm off to the police station to make a report (just in case)..

PS: I'll post pics tomorrow

mo_money2supe
01-28-2007, 03:51 AM
:thumbsdow Sorry to hear that man! That exact same thing nearly happened to me once on Deerfoot northbound, but fortunately no one was behind me so I just slammed on my brakes. I then sped around him, honked, and the guy had the nerve to finger me!! :guns:

Anyway, look at the bright side, at least you can claim he broke your driver's side mirror too and you can get it replaced (with a REAL, proper one this time) :angel:. You did get the guy's insurance, or at least the license plate if it was a hit and run, right?

Whitetiger
01-28-2007, 04:26 AM
How does he not see...:banghead:

nadroj23
01-28-2007, 12:59 PM
sorry to hear man hope everything gets work out...i hate people that just dont know how to properly change lanes. i guy pushed me into a curb once because he thought he had the RIGHT to change lanes rightr beside me. police had a nice talk with that asshole. Then been countless times where ive had to dodge people, thats right DODGE people to save my car. So sick of the drives here in calgary its getting worse and worse

Sharpie
01-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Wow thats sucks I thought it was just another thread whining about getting cut off or something, but that is shitty that you got hit..

PSJanis
01-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Sorry bout ur car dude, that seriously sucks.
and, i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you cant escape retards on the road. I live in NY suburbia, and last week we had some snow. not a lot, but some. as a driver and a pedestrian both in the same day i've almost been hit by dumbasses on the phones (and its illegal here btw). I've got tons more stories too. You cant escape them.

jdm_eg6
01-28-2007, 01:17 PM
yeah .. thats like me yesterday.. i was in a duel turn downtown ... i was in the first turning lane making a left, and some stupid ass van that was in the second turning lane cut in to mine half way through the turn and almost hit me.. i was PISSED!!! i dont know why people like that even have their license.... sorry to hear that jory...

rc2002
01-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Was it a hit and run? Or did he stop?

I hate driving beside or behind trucks. They have poor enough visibility as it is and if the driver isn't paying attention they could easily side swipe you. I make sure never to sit in their blind spot.

EstoMax
01-28-2007, 01:22 PM
so did the truck driver stop and share information or did he keep going? what was the damage to his vehicle?

shitty deal for you though and hope his insurance pulls through..

l8braker
01-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Sorry to hear, i've always been baffled by the fucking stupidity of some drivers around that area (Macleod/Chinook Centre) :banghead:

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-28-2007, 03:36 PM
He was cool about it, he pulled over, gave me his insurance, apologized, admiitted he didn't see me, and said it was his fault... About the mirror, I'm not gonna claim that, I just want what he broke, fixed. I'm just off to the station right now to file a report, and then I gotta figure out how to make a claim, you know where to go to get a quote and such :thumbsdow

I also need to grab my camera off my friend so I can take pics :drama:

inline6turbo
01-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
He was cool about it, he pulled over, gave me his insurance, apologized, admiitted he didn't see me, and said it was his fault... About the mirror, I'm not gonna claim that, I just want what he broke, fixed. I'm just off to the station right now to file a report, and then I gotta figure out how to make a claim, you know where to go to get a quote and such :thumbsdow

I also need to grab my camera off my friend so I can take pics :drama:

it actually a pretty smooth process

when my car was vadalized it was real quick to fix

his insurance company will call you, or you call them. they will give you the address of their shops they use to give quotes. Mine was in industrial area by tunerworks. It takes about 45min - 1hour for them to assess it. They will give you a paper with the quote, with labour hours, parts prices, paint, etc. You can then bring it to a shop of your choice, give them that piece of paper, pick up your car when its ready, and youre done!

In my case i had to pay 250$ deductible for vanadalism, but this is an accident and it's not your fault, so you shouldn't need to pay anything.

Ask about rental car coverage. Sometimes insurance companies will pay for you to use a rental car while yours in in the shop

GL man, sorry to hear about your baby being hit.

racin_jayson
01-28-2007, 03:53 PM
exact same thing happened to me a couple years ago, $3500 damage... driving a lowered civic is like swimming with sharks

waypastfast
01-28-2007, 03:57 PM
that sucks dude......long live the civic!!

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Here's the pics of the damage :cry:

Thanks for the info inline, I'm sure it'll help a lot.

http://members.shaw.ca/kingbelgarion/accident1.jpg

racin_jayson
01-28-2007, 04:23 PM
thats the exact same damage that happened to mine too...
good luck with the repair, i hope you don't develop a complex about being in peoples blind spots like I did :nut:

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-28-2007, 05:02 PM
I already did... I think I've twiched a good 20 times today from people driving beside me... Problem now is, that to file a report, both parties must be present, as well as I think the guy didn't give me his insurance, but one of those paper licenses you get while waiting for the real one... Because all the info I wrote down (I was pretty shaken up last night) was his name, phone number, license number, some MVID number and reg office number... I'm not having a good feeling about this, but i'm going to call him up and talk to him.

hjr
01-29-2007, 10:23 AM
it should be fine man. you have his ins. information so you should be good.

GQBalla
01-29-2007, 10:37 AM
and his license # - should be fine

4doorj
01-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Problem now is, that to file a report, both parties must be present,

both parties do not have to be present at the same time... u just go fill out yours.. they will then call him to fill one out... if he doesnt come he will get a ticket

i know because i just filled one out last month... someone hit my eclipse:thumbsdow

oh yeha.. that looks like alot of damage... that sucks

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Really? Well that's great, I'll head back to the police station today. I'm also heading down to screaming in an hour or so to get a quote done by dan :thumbsup:

TeamBestBud
01-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Really? Well that's great, I'll head back to the police station today. I'm also heading down to screaming in an hour or so to get a quote done by dan :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear man, but Screamin Paintworks FTW, so there is a bright side to it I guess :)

4doorj
01-29-2007, 12:38 PM
im going to screaming today too for the eclipse!

Lo)2enz0
01-29-2007, 12:49 PM
oh snap dude. can't believer he did that

i have almost been side swipped many times but never been hit. aww i hate people who don't shoulder check

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Quick update:

Filed a report at the station and got an estimate from screaming, thanks to Dan!
It's ~4k!!! :eek:

I called the insurance company and filed a claim, just waiting for them to call back, because they have to verify with the other driver. :drama:

Hopefully this will be smooth, but I have to admit I'm kind of afraid they'll write off my car. :cry:

topmade
01-29-2007, 05:27 PM
^^ $4k estimate and it's a 92 so they might write it off.

If so how much to you want for the following:

Ractive strut tower brace
AEM short ram air intake
H&R Sport Springs

:rofl: j/k

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-29-2007, 05:52 PM
:cry:

I dunno what i'm going to do if they do write it off... I mean it's completely driveable... So I guess I'd probably buy it back, and part it out... Then I dunno what i'd buy :thumbsdow

mo_money2supe
01-29-2007, 06:22 PM
^^ I've always wondered, but what does buying it back mean? Shouldn't you have the option of still keeping the car, and their insurance just pays for the lesser of the two options (ie. fixing the car, or writing it off)? If so, can't you just use that value (assuming it's a write off value), and you just fix it yourself? At least that way, you can have the option of painting it whatever colour of your choosing.

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-29-2007, 06:26 PM
From what I understand, if they opt to write it off, I can (this is where i've heard two things) keep it if it's still safe to drive, or buy it back from them for a much cheaper price (IE a few hundred bucks) BUT it will have a rebuilt title, making it difficult to sell in the future. It depends on the blue book of the car apparently.

If i could keep the car and they write it off... I would turn it into a beater or some such thing... And import something or buy a bike... No idea which.

mo_money2supe
01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
So does that mean they'll leave it unfixed, and you'll have to pay money for your own car that somebody else damaged? Something about that just doesn't seem right.

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-29-2007, 06:42 PM
What'll happen, is they'll give me what they think it's worth (but I know it'll be worth slightly more) then I keep.buy it back, and I have to fix it out of my own money.

Tik-Tok
01-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
So does that mean they'll leave it unfixed, and you'll have to pay money for your own car that somebody else damaged? Something about that just doesn't seem right.

No, it means they leave it unfixed, and you get the $$ for the car as if you'd sold it for Black Book values. Then you can use that money to buy it back dirt cheap and do what you want for it...

As in someone gets in an accident, written off, he gets $25,000 for the car, he buys the written off car for $5000, and has $20G to turn it into a beater that will be hard to sell, or a Drag-car...

mo_money2supe
01-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Ah...gotcha guys! :thumbsup:

Jory, here's hoping for the best, but we both know that they'll likely buy off the car. Unless of course, you can prove to the insurance guys that your "upgraded" motor will bump up the value of your car. Again, good luck!

4doorj
01-29-2007, 07:53 PM
yeah i was thinking it was expensive because of the rear panel being dented
its alot of work

arian_ma
01-30-2007, 01:06 AM
ah man that sucks! I am sorry to see your car like that.
If they give you your insurance money and you buy the car back you can probably buy another one for the summer and keep this one for the winter (as long as there is no frame damage I'd drive it as a beater, pretty sweet beater if you ask me)

Teggy2nr
01-30-2007, 01:30 AM
Get another couple quotes before you jump to conclusions because 4k for that seems a little high. and thats the risk you gotta take when modding a old car. If it is a write off try to get the motor out before the insurance takes it and put the original cuz it will require a motor in it, then at leas you can recover some of your losses buy selling the motor you put in

kvanderlaag
01-30-2007, 07:54 AM
This stuff's shitty, I've been there. In your case, if they write it off, I'd buy it back just because of what it is.

Good luck, man.

Tik-Tok
01-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Teggy2nr
If it is a write off try to get the motor out before the insurance takes it and put the original cuz it will require a motor in it, then at leas you can recover some of your losses buy selling the motor you put in

Yeah, that's the best way of doing it, and take off anything that you want as well. If you didn't tell your insurance company about any of your mods, then they aren't covered, so it's perfectly legal to take them before they get the car (but as said, you have to replace the items with originals)

wheelz
01-30-2007, 09:37 AM
3 years ago a neighbor drove into my EG while leaving his driveway across the street. They would only give me $3000 3 years ago and mine was an SI. Cost me out of pocket $5k. That really sucks.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Quick update:

Finally got the appraiser to come out and look at it... Took many phone calls, and about a month.... He looked at it, said I could probably get cash settlement of about 2k, or get it "repaired" and not replace the dents and stuff... Gonnag et an appraisal report on monday... Sounds like I'm gonna be fighting this damn insurance company tooth and nail...

ALSO:
The dent has started to rust, and the paint inside my door jamb is starting to peel and rust... :thumbsdow