PDA

View Full Version : Cardio Detrimental for Fitness Goals?

Neil4Speed
01-29-2007, 12:20 AM
I am not to sure really on this front, I was wondering if some beyonders might be able to give me some insight.

I am 5'10, 160lbs, somewhat of a muscular build.

My fitness goal is to become more fuller, bigger, and put on more muscle. So far it has been sucsessful and with this I feel (and can see) that I have lost a slight bit of fat weight. I eat a very high protien diet, with around 160grams per day.

However, I suppose I am one of those "fat-skinny" guys you hear about. I have a little bit of excess fat covering my stomach and sides where I would not like it to be. I am not asking about spot reducing as I know that is impossible. However, I know that with cardio it will lower my body fat percentage (skipping would probably be my desired method).

Now, say after I do weights hard, and then start skipping or doing any sort of cardio, is it detrimental to muscle gain?

Any imput would be appreciated.

Thanks

GTS Jeff
01-29-2007, 04:03 AM
I don't really know the answer, but why not just do them one at a time? First work on muscle gain, then cut down.

drew_goring
01-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah. You can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

civic_rida
01-29-2007, 09:27 AM
says who.

kertejud
01-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by civic_rida
says who.

Well its both true and untrue.

More muscle mass means you burn more calories at rest, the more calories you burn, the more fat you're going to lose. You won't become any fitter if you're just doing muscle workouts, but over time an increased muscle mass will heighten your resting metabolism.

However, if you're gaining muscle but are on a low carb diet, when you burn up all the carbs you're eating through exercise, your body will burn muscle as well as fat.

The main point here is that you still need to eat carbs, and you are definitely capable of gaining muscle and losing fat. As I said, muscle increases the resting metabolic rate, but cardio exercise increases it even more and is essential in becoming more healthy, not just more muscular.

CCM Pro
01-29-2007, 11:14 AM
You could do high intensity conditioning strength training...you may not really add mass, but you will definitely add strength and the cardio aspect will help reduce fat by using your whole body as a fat burning source. I guarantee you will not lose any muscle during this and it will even be easier to add mass later. I guess in a way its "somewhat" like adding muscle and losiing fat, which can be done at the same time contrary to belief. The fact is it is just plain easier to do it one at a time is all.

Example of conditioning from my personal trainer (who trains Dave Dickenson and other CFL players, pro basketball in Europe players too - just so you dont thing its some chump who calls himself a personal trainer but took a course at the Y only).

Grab a barbell (the 45 pound one) and put 10 or 15 pounds on each side. One set is the following:
10 reps of deadlifts
8 reps of cleans
6 reps of push-press (which is bar at chin level like front squat, then quarter squat into a shoulder press. Idea is to use your hips and core to push it up not just rely on arms).

Do the 10 then 8 then 6 and that is one set. Do as many sets PROPERLY in a 20 minute timed session. You will wanna die at the end trust me. My first time I got 14, then 19, then 20 then 22. Now that I tore my groin and have not done it for a while I will prolly be back at 15ish. It does help a lot to have someone pushing you cuz after 10 min you will wanna take long breaks between sets.

If anyone tries this let me know how it goes.

Masked Bandit
01-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I am not to sure really on this front, I was wondering if some beyonders might be able to give me some insight.

I am 5'10, 160lbs, somewhat of a muscular build.

My fitness goal is to become more fuller, bigger, and put on more muscle. So far it has been sucsessful and with this I feel (and can see) that I have lost a slight bit of fat weight. I eat a very high protien diet, with around 160grams per day.

However, I suppose I am one of those "fat-skinny" guys you hear about. I have a little bit of excess fat covering my stomach and sides where I would not like it to be. I am not asking about spot reducing as I know that is impossible. However, I know that with cardio it will lower my body fat percentage (skipping would probably be my desired method).

Now, say after I do weights hard, and then start skipping or doing any sort of cardio, is it detrimental to muscle gain?

Any imput would be appreciated.

Thanks

The short answer is yes...you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Have you ever seen any chunky professional boxers? Seems to me Mike Tyson was plenty strong with about 0% body fat (well, not quite but you get the point).

I think the key in your case would be to make sure you get enough good, clean calories so that your body is not consuming muscle tissue to fuel your cardio. It sounds like you have lots of protien so I think you'll be okay.

Neil4Speed
01-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Hey well thanks for all the input I really appreciate it allot! :thumbsup:

kertejud, you mentioned to maintain a carb intake. Now I try to eat as heathly as normal, but am not to sure what kind of carbs I should be eating. ie. low gyclemic/high glyclemic.

Cheers guys

Mazstyle
01-29-2007, 11:48 PM
You want to eat complex carbs / whole foods such as oatmeal, potatoes, yams and whole grain breads. Avoid anything with white flour, sugar etc.

And for an answer to your first question. Cardio is most effective at burning fat when your body is low on glycogen. Which is usually after a workout, or first thing in the morning.

I would suggest alternating your lifting and cardio days. Also try to get your cardio in before breakfast if you want to maximize the 'burn' so to speak.

Darkane
01-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Buring fat + adding muscle is absolutly achievable. Just do low intensity cardio while bulking. Also 160G or protein is not high :rofl: For bulking aim for 2G/lb of body weight. For cutting 1.5g/lb.

Enjoy!

Neil4Speed
01-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Darkane
Buring fat + adding muscle is absolutly achievable. Just do low intensity cardio while bulking. Also 160G or protein is not high :rofl: For bulking aim for 2G/lb of body weight. For cutting 1.5g/lb.

Enjoy!

Cheers man. Damn, I was struggling to get 160G's in. I suppose around 200 would be ideal. Better get a good tasting shake!

mvprimate
01-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Enjoy!

Damn, I am 6 foot 3 and 215 so that would mean i would need over 300g a day just for cutting, that is nuts.

Mazstyle
01-30-2007, 06:33 PM
I think 2g per pound is overkill, unless your hitting the gear...

hukgwai
01-31-2007, 06:22 PM
I think the wife reccommends 2g per lb of lean muscle mass... when you're crankin up.

Darkane
01-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Mazstyle
I think 2g per pound is overkill, unless your hitting the gear...

Try it and see if it makes a difference.. The short answer is absolutly :)