PDA

View Full Version : MR2 Tire sizes - upgrades

BokCh0y
01-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Will be upgrading the rims for the MR. Currently running the stock 93+ 15's. 225/50/15 back and 195/55/15 - front. I think that's the tire sizes but i can't remember.

What is everyone running for sizes and what should be the biggest size i go? i want to go no more than 17's but run the staggered setup. Does anyone know what the sizes should be for 16's and 17's with a staggered setup?

Thanks in advance for the 411.

D.

stealth
01-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Totally depends on how wide your rims are...

Ghettobaby
01-30-2007, 12:10 AM
I have 17x9 out back with a 255/40 and 17x7 out front with 215/40. Sitting on s-techs and didn't have to roll the fenders. I will have to double check my offsets, but i know the front is slightly in from flush and the rear is like 2mm out from flush.

edit** Both front and back have a 35 offset.

Ek9Max
01-30-2007, 02:59 AM
Stock body mr2 i had 17x7 + 40 and 17x9 +40 fit pretty decent IMO.

BokCh0y
01-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by stealth
Totally depends on how wide your rims are...

i wanted to know what the equivalent tire size in 16 and 17" is....but thx.

I have 17x9 out back with a 255/40 and 17x7 out front with 215/40. Sitting on s-techs and didn't have to roll the fenders. I will have to double check my offsets, but i know the front is slightly in from flush and the rear is like 2mm out from flush.

edit** Both front and back have a 35 offset.

Stock body mr2 i had 17x7 + 40 and 17x9 +40 fit pretty decent IMO.

Thanks for the helpful information ghetto and ek. :thumbsup:

Ghetto: So that tire size u went with did it throw of the speedo much? I'm trying to keep it as close as i can to factory specs but larger so I don't have to recalibrate the speedo.

Ghettobaby
01-30-2007, 02:46 PM
at 100k/h im out about 5-6 (so 105-106) not bad.

stealth
01-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

i wanted to know what the equivalent tire size in 16 and 17" is....but thx.

Again, you aren't providing much information.

16 and 17 X what?

16 and 17 X 7 can be 215

16 and 17X9 can be 255

etc...

Narrow down your WIDTH and we can give you a better number.

Unless you just want to know all different size of rims...

Ek9Max
01-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Also keep in mind a 255/40/17 will be taller than a 215/40/17 .... even though both are 40 series tires....

BokCh0y
01-30-2007, 08:07 PM

Again, you aren't providing much information.

16 and 17 X what?

16 and 17 X 7 can be 215

16 and 17X9 can be 255

etc...

Narrow down your WIDTH and we can give you a better number.

Unless you just want to know all different size of rims...

i don't know what the maximum width can be or what the width should be when comparing 15's to 17's when going with larger rims running a staggered setup.....that is why i am asking for tire size so i can figure out what size rim would be perfect.:rolleyes:

You could've just told me what size rims u are running front and rear along with tire size and given me input interms of keeping the staggered setup with larger rims.....everyone else who replied was able to provide me with their rim sizes and such. If you want more clarification then here it is:

I want to run larger rims on my MR2 but continue with a staggered setup with either 16's or 17's. Can anyone tell me what is a comfortable rim size (please include width) to go with and what tire size would be good with the rim upgrade so it doesn't throw of the speedo too much. I would like rim sizes including width and tire sizes as well for both front and rear for a staggered setup or at least opinions on a good setup.

I really just wanted to know tire sizes:

225/50/15 = to what when upgrading to 16's or 17's? But hey...thanks for answering my questions.

stealth
01-30-2007, 11:34 PM
225/50/15 = 225/50/16 when upgrading to 16....

BokCh0y
01-30-2007, 11:46 PM
225/50/15 = 225/50/16 when upgrading to 16....

if you upgrade from 225/50/15 to 16" rims wouldn't it be 235/40/16? whatever pal, your post is useless to me anyway.

Please do not continue to post in my thread, i found your help to be as useful as a bag of shit. But hey, thanks anyways for your input...:rolleyes:

thinmyster
01-31-2007, 12:40 AM
i kinda wanna go stretched. I have a 16X7 and 17X8 but ill have to check offsets and tires

stealth
01-31-2007, 12:47 AM

if you upgrade from 225/50/15 to 16" rims wouldn't it be 235/40/16? whatever pal, your post is useless to me anyway.

Please do not continue to post in my thread, i found your help to be as useful as a bag of shit. But hey, thanks anyways for your input...:rolleyes:

HAHA. Your awesome!

jvillain
01-31-2007, 12:47 AM
You might want to take this for a spin
http://mr2.gordaen.com/wt_calc.php

or this

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/info_specs.jsp

A couple of big questions are do you have any mods to your suspension? What year is your car? Those will effect what you can get in there.

BTW bigger usually lookes better but it isn't always faster.

BokCh0y
01-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by jvillain
You might want to take this for a spin
http://mr2.gordaen.com/wt_calc.php

or this

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/info_specs.jsp

A couple of big questions are do you have any mods to your suspension? What year is your car? Those will effect what you can get in there.

BTW bigger usually lookes better but it isn't always faster.

Thanks for the information, I will check out the links.

I have no suspension mods yet and my car is a 91.

BokCh0y
01-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by thinmyster
i kinda wanna go stretched. I have a 16X7 and 17X8 but ill have to check offsets and tires

Let me know when you find out. Thanks Dude.

stick-boy
01-31-2007, 10:11 AM
I think my friend did the same thing on his MR2. I'll PM you his number, hope he can help. Seeing that some people (I wont mention names) are as usful as tits on a tin can.

stealth
02-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by stick-boy
I think my friend did the same thing on his MR2. I'll PM you his number, hope he can help. Seeing that some people (I wont mention names) are as usful as tits on a tin can.

your awsome too.

The only reason I gave him a hard time is because their are sooooo many combinations he can have.

Specifying the width of a rim he is going to throw them on, would narrow it down.

Because for example on a 7 inch wide rim you can go to 205-235 if you want.

8 inch is different

9 inch is different and so on.

It doesnt matter how big your rim is in size that much (ie, 16/17/18).

Your friend running streched tires on his 17 inch rims doesn't mean I can run the same tires on my 17 inch rims...Specifying how low his car is, makes a difference. Whether or not he is on springs or coilovers will make a difference. Whether he wants to roll his fenders will make a difference....

clem24
02-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Hey D I run 205/45 and 225/45 16s. Speedo is the same, maybe off by like .4%.

Use the Miata Wheel size calculator to figure out what you can run:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Often, it's the tire availability that is the restricting factor. Personally, I think 16" is the sweet spot for tire sizes on the MR2, but that's just my opinion. 17" is the max I'd go, but I just think 17" is just too big and detracts from the look of the car. Personally I really like the '94/'95 look with 15" rims, a lip and the 1 piece spoiler.

Personally, I like the 205 up front b/c it makes the car much more responsive. I had 215/40 up front, and the difference is night and day (like having power steering with the 205s). My rims are 16x7.5 front and back.

IMO, if I had a white MR2, I'd slap on white TE37s in a heartbeat. White on white... :drool:

stealth
02-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Often, it's the tire availability that is the restricting factor. Personally, I think 16" is the sweet spot for tire sizes on the MR2, but that's just my opinion. 17" is the max I'd go, but I just think 17" is just too big and detracts from the look of the car. Personally I really like the '94/'95 look with 15" rims, a lip and the 1 piece spoiler.

Personally, I like the 205 up front b/c it makes the car much more responsive. I had 215/40 up front, and the difference is night and day (like having power steering with the 205s). My rims are 16x7.5 front and back.

IMO, if I had a white MR2, I'd slap on white TE37s in a heartbeat. White on white... :drool:

Does your setup look too tucked in tho with the 205's?

BokCh0y
02-01-2007, 11:30 PM

your awsome too.

The only reason I gave him a hard time is because their are sooooo many combinations he can have.

So not knowing and asking questions justifies your asshole attitude? Seriously, why are you still posting in this thread.....your input has been nothing but useless.

If you read my responses to you, they've all been fairly professional and such. I asked a question and even tried to explain what I am asking about.....but every response from you has been a waste of time.

Can you please not post in this thread anymore. And yes I am awesome, it's better than coming across as an asshole.

BokCh0y
02-01-2007, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the input dude, I'm seriously considering going with 16's as well. I've seen how good they look on your ride and agree with you that the 17's may detract from the look of the car. I just want to keep the car looking clean.

The TE37's are PIMP!!!!!!! Will have to look into pricing for those!!!

stick-boy
02-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Hey dude, I talked to my friend, he went with a 204/40/16 Front and 225/40/16 on the back. I hope this helps you out.

So not knowing and asking questions justifies your asshole attitude? Seriously, why are you still posting in this thread.....your input has been nothing but useless.

If you read my responses to you, they've all been fairly professional and such. I asked a question and even tried to explain what I am asking about.....but every response from you has been a waste of time.

Can you please not post in this thread anymore. And yes I am awesome, it's better than coming across as an asshole.

:werd:

sh0ko
02-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey derrick i forgot which mr2 tech site was discussing ths but as for wheel size.. anything bigger than 16 is actually hindering performance *hence me hating on my rims* and that 15-16 inch are the ideal way to go for our tiny 2's

stealth
02-02-2007, 12:51 PM

You have been anything but professional. You haven't done any research on MR2OC, that has hundreds of these threads, you come on here with vague ass questions, then you have the nerve to call me an asshole, when I ask you to narrow down your search for rim size, so I can give you info on proper tire sizes.

Never have I called you names.

But whatever, the reason I'm still posting, is because it seems to piss you more and more off.:thumbsup:

BokCh0y
02-02-2007, 03:12 PM

You have been anything but professional. You haven't done any research on MR2OC, that has hundreds of these threads, you come on here with vague ass questions, then you have the nerve to call me an asshole, when I ask you to narrow down your search for rim size, so I can give you info on proper tire sizes.

Never have I called you names.

But whatever, the reason I'm still posting, is because it seems to piss you more and more off.:thumbsup:

What is everyone running for sizes and what should be the biggest size i go?

I want to run larger rims on my MR2 but continue with a staggered setup with either 16's or 17's. Can anyone tell me what is a comfortable rim size (please include width) to go with and what tire size would be good with the rim upgrade so it doesn't throw of the speedo too much. I would like rim sizes including width and tire sizes as well for both front and rear for a staggered setup or at least opinions on a good setup.

Vague ass questions? Everyone else here seems to be smart enough to respond with their rim and tire sizes.....it's ok if you're stupid and can't comprehend.

Post all you want, I don't care. You're the one that comes across as an asshole not me. I'm just asking questions. This is a free speech and I can ask my "vague ass" questions wherever I want.

BokCh0y
02-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Mods please close thread.

I've decided to go with 16's on 205/40 Front and 225/40 rear.

Thanks to everyone who gave me helpful input.

:closed:

clem24
02-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey D the 45 aspect gives you the correct size up. 40 makes it too small. Plus I think 40 might cost more since they're even more low profile. What tires? :D

stealth
02-02-2007, 04:54 PM

Vague ass questions? Everyone else here seems to be smart enough to respond with their rim and tire sizes.....it's ok if you're stupid and can't comprehend.

Post all you want, I don't care. You're the one that comes across as an asshole not me. I'm just asking questions. This is a free speech and I can ask my "vague ass" questions wherever I want.

"16's and 17's with a staggered setup? " Your telling me thats not vague.

for all i know you consider 16X7 16X7.5 staggered. lool

Im happy you decided to go with 16's with a weak ass tire setup. Considering you can fit more underneath their depending on rim width :thumbsup:

But whatever, good luck with your setup.

BokCh0y
02-02-2007, 06:30 PM

"16's and 17's with a staggered setup? " Your telling me thats not vague.

for all i know you consider 16X7 16X7.5 staggered. lool

Im happy you decided to go with 16's with a weak ass tire setup. Considering you can fit more underneath their depending on rim width :thumbsup:

But whatever, good luck with your setup.

what size are you running? Some of the people I've talked to have said the 16's are perfect for the car. More feedback would be appreciated.

stealth
02-02-2007, 08:56 PM
I myself am running a shitty setup.

17X7 +40 offset all around

25mm spacers in the rear.

215/40/ZR17

When I upgrade my rims, I will go with a 215 front and a 245 rear, with 7.5 in front and 8.5 or 9 in the rear.

with 16's you are able to fit fat ass tires in the back, which will greatly help in tracktion.

BokCh0y
02-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Hey D the 45 aspect gives you the correct size up. 40 makes it too small. Plus I think 40 might cost more since they're even more low profile. What tires? :D

I actually went to Speedtech today and priced out a set of TE37's hehehe.

For rubber I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions?

215/40/ZR17

When I upgrade my rims, I will go with a 215 front and a 245 rear, with 7.5 in front and 8.5 or 9 in the rear.

with 16's you are able to fit fat ass tires in the back, which will greatly help in tracktion.

Thanks for the information :thumbsup:

So you're going with 16's for an upgrade later then?

stealth
02-02-2007, 10:21 PM

No, I will stick with the 17's, I like the looks of them, and don't really need too much tire.

Just I will go with wider rims, and lower offsets, and wider tires.

stealth
02-02-2007, 10:31 PM

No, I will stick with the 17's, I like the looks of them, and don't really need too much tire.

Just I will go with wider rims, and lower offsets, and wider tires.

Ek9Max
02-03-2007, 02:18 AM

215/40/ZR17

Sam you're gold. Talk all that shit then tell him you're running a weaksauce setup.

Just bugging ya. lol

stealth
02-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Ek9Max

Sam you're gold. Talk all that shit then tell him you're running a weaksauce setup.

Just bugging ya. lol

HAHA, yea.

Spend the money upfront in the beginning, and you wont have to waste money.

I did it because I have some Rare wheels :bigpimp: