PDA

View Full Version : Getting around RIV for a 14.5 yr old car?

Scourge
01-29-2007, 11:14 AM
I bought a car from the States. I fully intend on paying duty and taxes but I don't want to go through all the paperwork and modifications to make the car legit. Really, all it needs are daytime running lights as far as I know.

I've considered just going thru RIV, flying down (once), paying the $209, and crossing at Coutts/Sweetgrass and losing about a weeks worth of pay. I don't get paid vacations for another 5 months. New job.

I've also considered flying down to get the title, storing it for 6-8 mo (~$148 USD/mo), flying back here and flying back there around Sept. Each trip is going to cost ~$300.

Option #3 is to see if I can get my car in Canada temporarily (not as an exported/imported car) and then going back to the border in September to get it exported out of the states. Kinda like an illegal immigrant still wanting to get citizenship. :) This would require one flight (like option 1), no paperwork except duty and tax to export out of the states, and no vehicle storage fees.

There WAS an option #4 to have it shipped but hearing all the nightmares people have had has persuaded me to drive it here myself.

So, any help? Also wondering if there might be any license plate issues... I could try to register the car in the states but is that possible if I only have an Alberta driver's license?

The car was built 09/1992. Do they consider it 15 years old on Sept 1st or Oct 1st?

Sharpie
01-29-2007, 12:15 PM
If the car is coming from the states it doesn't have to be 15years old aslong as it is on the riv list...

Scourge
01-29-2007, 12:20 PM
It is. I just don't want to do all the paperwork and get my DRL. I believe that's the only mod to do. Plus I'm cheap. :D I want my $209 (and other savings not having to do the DRL).

For the OOP (not federal), do I still get checked for DRL for a 15+ year old car?

If all I have to worry about is getting the title and bill of sale to US customs 72 hrs in advance, that'd save a lot of headaches. :D

It's looking like I'm going to short something in the lighting system for a day. :)

Any ideas how long to drive from PA or New York to Coutts? I remember it taking less than a full day to get from Lethbridge to Edmonton...

Sharpie
01-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Dude just search there is a whole thread on this and how to do it...

TeamBestBud
01-29-2007, 12:25 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107279

Its even stickied.:rolleyes:

Weapon_R
01-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Is it really worth storing it or going through your other scenarios just to save $200 and the cost of a daytime light kit?

tentacles
01-29-2007, 12:31 PM
For the OOP (not federal), do I still get checked for DRL for a 15+ year old car?

Yes.

JAYMEZ
01-29-2007, 07:50 PM
You need to use the search button mate. And the "paperwork" is one page long... Not much effort at all.