PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Posts $33,200 Average Profit Per Vehicle

2BLUE
01-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Nearly 10x Greater Profit Per Vehicle than BMW
advertisement
Canadian Auto Press
Porsche earlier this week revealed that Porsche, one of the most prestigious names in the automotive industry, is by far the most profitable automaker on a vehicle by vehicle basis. Porsche makes an unheard of €21,799 profit on each car it sells! This isn't to say that Porsche is making €21,799 ($33,198 CAD) straight up on every vehicle it makes, but rather that it earns variable profits, with some more (Cayenne Turbo S) and some less (Boxster). To see just how badly Porsche blows other automakers out of the water, have a look at these figures. BMW makes €2,475 ($3,769 CAD) for each car it sells - a handsome figure, no doubt. Toyota pulls in an average of €1,684 ($2,564 CAD), while Audi makes €1,580 ($2,406 CAD). DaimlerChrysler (including Mercedes-Benz and Smart) makes €708 ($1,078 CAD), and VW makes just €332 ($505 CAD) per vehicle. The study, which looked at the company's finances over 2005-2006 financial year, also revealed that Porsche sold 97,000 units and had a record gain of €2.11 billion ($3.21 bn CAD) before taxes.
No doubt, the development costs of the Cayenne (shared with Volkswagen) and the Cayman (shared with the 911 and Boxster), plus the shared components amongst all of its sports cars has some influence over profitability, but it's not like BMW, Audi and every other manufacturer doesn't share components to take advantage of economies of scale. More precisely, these figures reveal how profitable Porsche's auto operation really is. It's no wonder the brand was in a position to purchase such a large share of Volkswagen Group.
In other Porsche-related news, Motor Authority reports that the almighty 911 is about to receive an update for 2008. Exterior changes - if there are any - will be extremely minor with subtle tweaks here and there. The main update that one should expect to see for the '08 911 is the introduction of the DFI direct fuel injection system that made its debut on the Cayenne sport utility vehicle at Detroit. In The Cayenne, Porsche posted gains in power of between 5 and 25 hp, depending on model, and drops in fuel consumption to the tune of 10-15 percent. These changes aren't exactly monumental we admit, but in the case of the 911, more power is never a bad thing.
The update could also mark the introduction of the long-awaited twin-clutch gearbox for Porsche. For over a year we've been hearing rumours about Porsche preparing a DSG-style twin-clutch gearbox as a successor to its Tiptronic automatic. It would be the perfect time to introduce the gearbox, adding importance to this technical update, not to mention that it’d be the first twin-clutch gearbox to be developed outside of the VAG kingdom. As Volkswagen, Audi and its subsidiaries have proven, the twin-clutch gearbox provides the smoothness of an automatic gearbox while actuating quicker shifts than a regular manual. That's a welcome change for the enthusiast who wants lightning quick performance, plus the convenience and refinement of an automatic. It truly closes the gap between cars with and without clutch pedals, and will be a true benefit to Porsche from a driving perspective, while no doubt increasing its sales and profitability yet further.

Hakkola
01-29-2007, 02:28 PM
So, could you argue that Porsche is overpriced?
I love Porsche, if I had the money I'd buy one, but that's huge earnings per car! Incredible.

sneek
01-29-2007, 02:58 PM
I think they will be raising their prices on 911s soon.

I guess you kind of expect people to be making a ton of money when you purchase a car like that.
:drool: 911 turbo :drool:

iceburns288
01-29-2007, 03:52 PM
The number is stupid. The number they came up with was money earned/cars sold. Doesn't include any money they made through VW, but especially marketing. Ferrari probably makes more money through merchandise than automobiles, and I wouldn't put it past Porsche to at least come close.

The number is still definitely high, but who cares? It's not like they're cutting corners anywhere, the latest Porsches are nearly perfect daily drivers.

max_boost
01-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Not surprised at all.

Options cost a fortune on a Porsche. The brand is just too bling for me.

Cody D
01-29-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't car how much the company makes, as long as they are still around to honour the warranty. I'd love a Cayman S.

hjr
01-29-2007, 07:21 PM
that is amazing. kinda makes a bit of sense as they are certainly not a volume dealer, so they would have to make more on each car.

cmodem
01-29-2007, 10:13 PM
What does Jeremy Clarkson say all the time? Something about Porsche and how they look the same every generation haha that probably is a big chunk of that profit.

Never re-designing the body ahha.

E36M3
01-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Good for them. The 911 buyers greatly benefit from the fat margins on the SUVs and everyone wins. Soccer moms get to feel sporty and the high end sports cars are subsidized.

95EagleAWD
01-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Amazing what happens when you make a quality product and sell it with no rebates or incentives.

Cody D
01-30-2007, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Amazing what happens when you make a quality product and sell it with no rebates or incentives.

So true.

Mitsu3000gt
01-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I would really like to see the profit margin on such vehicles as the Escalade, Ford explorer, a Jeep TJ/YJ etc, denali, Caddy XLR, etc. etc. I bet it is at least as much as porsche (probably more) and the vehicle costs half as much.

I doubt those numbers will ever be available though. Once I read in a car magazine that Ford SUV's had the lowest build cost in relation to the sale cost of any vehicle, but there was no source or anything.

hjr
01-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Amazing what happens when you make a quality product and sell it with no rebates or incentives. that is remarkably amazing. something some other companies should try.

Mitsu3000gt
01-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by hjr
that is remarkably amazing. something some other companies should try.

:werd:

There are reasons certain companies are having their worst years yet and are billions in debt.