PDA

View Full Version : Help me get into DSLR?

bituerbo
01-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Hey,

Had a series of digital cameras, latest was a Canon A510, thought it was great but after 2 years of faithful service and accidentally spilling beer on it, I feel it's time for an upgrade (sticky/clicky buttons drive me mad, will take apart and clean once I no longer have to rely on it).

Now I can grab a Digital Rebel XT (w/ 18-55mm) for $525 USD, (I might be able to get a dollar or two cheaper due to a friend who's a Dell employe)

Good deal? For a first DSLR should I consider something else?
I contemplated the S3 IS but it just seems like a glorified P&S, and most DSLR's are MUCH more expensive, even on ebay.

Any input is really appreciated.

Weapon_R
01-29-2007, 04:05 PM
DSLRs aren't really for everyone, so unless you really need one theres no need to buy it. The 'overglorified' P&S S3 is a fantastic camera for intermediate users.

As for entry level SLRs, the rebel is a good new camera. If you can find an old 300D, they are good also. The entry level Pentax is a nice beginner SLR also

AccentAE86
01-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah, the XT is a great camera. IT's not ridiculously bare bones like the nikon D40 where it may leave you handicapped should you decide to venture further into the photography world.

I know many colleagues of mine who shoot with the XT as a paid pro.

That's a decent price. You can likely find it for a similar price locally too.

bituerbo
01-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Oh really!? I'd much rather support a local shop. Any recommendations?

seer_claw
01-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Oh really!? I'd much rather support a local shop. Any recommendations?

I'd recommend The Camera Store. I bought my camera there and have always received great service, help and information there. They have very competitive pricing and there is usually someone around to help you out if you have any questions.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/

Obscura
01-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Buy your camera at a local store like Vistek or The Camera Store. Buying locally will get you great sevice and help with your questions and there is no concern about warranty.

I'd recommend going in to either store and picking up a few cameras and buying whatever one feels best in your hand (control placement, size, etc) and which ever fits your budget.

muse017
01-30-2007, 12:05 AM
like to any used gear?
I have Canon 300D and Pentax IstDs

lint
01-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Unless you're enthralled with that new camera smell, get yourself a nice used body at a better price. Put the extra $$$ towards another lens, flash or tripod instead.

AccentAE86
01-30-2007, 09:47 AM
hey muse, what you want for your 300D? I'll send you a PM.

bituerbo
02-01-2007, 03:31 PM
So I went in to a local shop, had a chance to play around with the Digital Rebel XT and XTi, as well as the Olympus E-Volt E330. On the olympus I found the live-view, and a-mode and b-mode to incorporate the live view were kind of gimmicky so I ruled it out. (as well as side-by side comparo's of picture clarity as well as overall features and how it handled)

Now XT vs. XTi :

worth the $250 pricetag? How often do you guys clean your sensor? Guys at Saneal stated it should be done once a month unless you have a self-cleaning camera. Now I'm fine with the smaller LCD, although the more advanced focus system is a bonus, I'm on the fence with the self cleaning lens... and how necessary it is.

Going with the XTi seriously nicks my budget, and I wouldn't be able to pick up a 2nd lens off he bat - and would be using the kit 18-55 for a while.

For the same price I could have had the olympus E330 w/ 2 lenses, which is why I was trying it out - but I found the rectangular shape and flip down screen/live view all a little uncomfortable. Guys at the store seem to favour selling the E330 but don't seem to favour using it themselves. :dunno:

AccentAE86
02-01-2007, 04:02 PM
The XT is very competent. The only feature I like that the XTi has over the XT is the focus system. More af points and the advanced centre point when using F/2.8 or faster lenses is really nice. Other than that, I could care less. I know some pros who use the XT.

Self cleaning sensor? I don't think it's THAT important! In the last year I've cleaned my sensors about 3 times, and there were some really busy shooting months in there. I take about 1100 pics per wedding I shoot. And the REALLY bad spots are very stubborn and probably won't be shaken off easily. You'll probably end up wet cleaning the sensor anyways.

andandandrew
02-01-2007, 11:43 PM
I wouldnt bother with the E-330, but the E-500 is a great camera. Just as good as Canon/Nikon (although Canon outperforms at night), and Olympus tends to be slightly more affordable (because Nikon and Canon Price gouge)

Pentax has good sensors, and they also get a really good deal on them, so it is cheaper...
If you dont have a steady Hand, go with Olympus, as they have Image stabilization built-in. (Canon/Nikon have it in some of their lenses for a lot of extra money)
If you are doing action car shots, you probably want Image stabilization...

All in all, Buy either an Olympus or a Pentax. Both great cameras, neither of them price gouge.

Unknown303
02-02-2007, 08:04 AM
I own an XTi and love it. Although i have never used the regular XT. I only recently came into the DSLR scene after being a regular SLR guy for quite a while.

The extra focus point is handy as well the larger scene in my opinion really it a lot nicer. Having all the information for the scene on one large scene just seems to work better for me. And if you've ever visited http://www.dpreview.com they did a review on the XTi and it faired very well against the competition and since it 10mp they may have even picked some fairly stiff competition to put it against.

Well I'm crazy about mine, whether its worth it or not i guess really depends on if those features are going to be something that you really need. I like the auto sensor cleaning but i don't know how well it works. I don't have any dust showing up in photos yet.

bituerbo
02-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all the input guys.

I picked up the Rebel XT w/ kit lens for $750 at The Camera Store last night. Guys there were SO helpful compared to saneal. Got the 50mm 1.8 Lens, filter, and bag with the money I saved not going with the XTi.

dpreview's side-by-side yields very similar results when the XT and XTi are compared. In a few instances the XT came out sharper. Larger LCD wasn't a bonus in my opinion... just more to drain the batteries. I was playing around last night with the 18-55 lens. I might go to chinook to try out the 50mm tonight.

Unknown303
02-08-2007, 09:00 AM
I've found that the larger LCD hasn't cause a significant decrease in battery life. According to dpreviews XTi review they said that there was very little difference in battery life between the two.

None the less you've picked a great camera to start into Digital Photography.

So when are we going to have a Meet. Haven't made it to one before and would like to see what they are like.

lint
02-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I've found that the larger LCD hasn't cause a significant decrease in battery life. According to dpreviews XTi review they said that there was very little difference in battery life between the two.

With the prices of spare/replacement batteries these days, why battery life even matters is beyond me. For about $30, pick yourself up a couple of spares and enjoy the larger lcd.

Mitsu3000gt
02-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by lint

With the prices of spare/replacement batteries these days, why battery life even matters is beyond me. For about $30, pick yourself up a couple of spares and enjoy the larger lcd.

What are your guys' thoughts about aftermarket batteris VS OEM batteries? The manual says your warranty is voided if you don't use Nikon batteries but they could never prove that (I don't think).

lint
02-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

What are your guys' thoughts about aftermarket batteris VS OEM batteries? The manual says your warranty is voided if you don't use Nikon batteries but they could never prove that (I don't think).

I picked up a couple of extra bp-511s from sterlingtek, used them for about 2 years now. never had a problem, and the charge lasts longer than the OEM. Plenty of other people swear by sterlingtek batteries as well, just check out fm and other photog forums. Also picked up a couple of spares for the wife's sd300, sisters s400, and other friends. No one has had any problems.

Nikon/canon/<insert camera manufacturer here> want you to keep buying $10 batteries for $80.

C4S
02-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah .. 350D is a great camera .. and dirt cheap now.

However, camera body is just part of Photpgraphy.

Lens (especially "L") Flashes .. lighting etc .. will cost more .. say if you spend $600 on a body .. another flash will be $600 as well .. and then extra lens could cost thousand of dollar..

Canon is smart, they have the best DSLR system in the world now, however, they are making huge money on their gears!!! and even on second hand market, EF lens are pricy!

I wish I am still with Nikon! :dunno:

Zephyr
02-21-2007, 04:08 AM
Man, the Sony Alpha is pretty dam good for the price, plus it has built in IS

friend took this on sunday of another friend:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/asukadc/2-18-07%20lexus%20CL%20is%20meet%20near%20knotts/z.jpg

my car w/ harsh sunlight:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/asukadc/2-18-07%20lexus%20CL%20is%20meet%20near%20knotts/e.jpg

pretty neat camera by Minolt- err i mean Sony