PDA

View Full Version : removing window tint

2fast4me
01-30-2007, 12:24 AM
I brought a car that has the front windows tinted too dark.
Anyone know how to remove the tint completely?

Mikespecr1
01-30-2007, 01:00 AM
just rip it off

Whitetiger
01-30-2007, 01:13 AM
You bought this car?

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162990&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

There's way more work then just "ripping it off"... the glue on it and pending if it comes off "piece by piece" (i.e. sometimes the entire sheet of tint doesn't come off in one piece, so a little bit breaks off here and there)

2fast4me
01-30-2007, 01:19 AM
I didn't buy that car. mines a nissan fairlady

R!zz0
01-30-2007, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't take the tint out unless it's really bothering you. If the cops do pull you over, tell them you bought the car like that.

hjr
01-30-2007, 02:05 PM
mostly, you have to get new windshield. you can try to get it off with a heat gun, but there will be much glue left. maybe then some simple green and a lot of elbow grease to get the glue off

GTS Jeff
01-30-2007, 03:24 PM
WD40 works well for dissolving glue. Dunno if that'd work on tint, but it'd be the first thing I'd try.

Isaiah
01-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
If the cops do pull you over, tell them you bought the car like that.

That won't get you out of a ticket and won't stand up in court.

ogpog
01-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by hjr
mostly, you have to get new windshield. you can try to get it off with a heat gun, but there will be much glue left. maybe then some simple green and a lot of elbow grease to get the glue off

Why the fuck would you need a new windshield?

cressida_pimpin
01-30-2007, 04:03 PM
I took mine off the front windows. Film comes off easy but like said above, lots of glue will be left over. For that I just soaked a cloth in paint thinner scrubbed like crazy

dooman24
01-30-2007, 04:12 PM
here's a link that tells you how...
http://www.g2ic.com/tegtips/interior/22.html

Mr. Burns
01-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Peel the tint off, and use water w/ a razor blade to get the glue off.

mikey_mo_love
01-30-2007, 04:16 PM
try acetone to get the glue off

im2fst4u
01-30-2007, 04:19 PM
The easiest way is to wait for a nice hot sunny day. You will need a few black garbage bags, a bottle of ammonia. Spray the inside of the window with the ammonia and then place the garbage bag over the ammonia. Let it sit for about half to one hour in direct sunlight. Remove the garbage bag and simply pull the tint off. I have done this a number of times and it works excellent. Remember that ammonia is a strong cleaner and it will smell horrible. Make sure you have access to fresh air!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sneek
02-01-2007, 06:30 PM
^ Thats a good method! I do the same accept I use a citrus degeaser.

Whitetiger
02-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Burns
Peel the tint off, and use water w/ a razor blade to get the glue off.

+1 for razor blades, and don't be cheap, use new ones when you feel the current one goes dull.

Mitsu3000gt
02-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by hjr

That is totally wrong IMO. Why would he need a new windshield? And you can always get tint off, with ammonia, razor blades or just ripping it off depending on how stubborn it is. Goof off can work on the left over adhesive too.

sr20dets13
02-02-2007, 10:38 PM
why do you all think his windsheild is tinted anyways? he said his front windows lol

TyzToyz
02-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Any suggestions for a window with rear defogger? My tint is all scratched up and I would like to re-do it.
Do I just do what was suggested above without using a razor blade?
Thanks,

Tye

im2fst4u
02-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by im2fst4u
The easiest way is to wait for a nice hot sunny day. You will need a few black garbage bags, a bottle of ammonia. Spray the inside of the window with the ammonia and then place the garbage bag over the ammonia. Let it sit for about half to one hour in direct sunlight. Remove the garbage bag and simply pull the tint off. I have done this a number of times and it works excellent. Remember that ammonia is a strong cleaner and it will smell horrible. Make sure you have access to fresh air!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Works like a charm! Guaranteed! Never use a razor blade on a window with defrosting lines. The razor blade will scape off the protective coating and eventually slice the lines.