PDA

View Full Version : Digging a hole to China

Xtrema
01-30-2007, 01:01 AM
Well, you know the old saying you dig deep enough, you'll end up in China? No really.

http://map.pequenopolis.com/index.php?lang=en

Ekliptix
01-30-2007, 01:10 AM
I'd have a water related problem.

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Nice... I end up near the antarctic... I assume most of you do as well.

hussein
01-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Some where in south america I think...

snowboard
01-30-2007, 01:13 AM
what movie was that from
i remember way back when we tired to dig a hole to china in an empty lot after watching a movie about the lochness monster or something.

msommers
01-30-2007, 12:25 PM
French Southern & Antarctic Lands

Didn't even know this place existed! Located right in between the Indian and Southern Ocean

GTS Jeff
01-30-2007, 12:44 PM
The Earth's core has a molten metal component. How you gonna dig through a liquid? That's whack.

ogpog
01-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Using that site, I ended up dead center in the middle of the ocean between antarctica, australia, and south africa.

three.eighteen.
01-30-2007, 02:47 PM
how does gravity work when you're inside the earth?

Isaiah
01-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

Well.

msommers
01-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
The Earth's core has a molten metal component. How you gonna dig through a liquid? That's whack.

Pfff, using a straw obviously :nut:

DGill
01-30-2007, 10:51 PM
:thumbsdow I cant swim

DJ Lazy
01-30-2007, 11:51 PM
I dug my first hole in an Island in the Gulf of Thailand and ended up about 100 miles off the coast of Peru in the Ocean...

Second hole I dug in Cape Town South Africa and ended up prolly about 200-300 miles north of the Hawaiian Islands...

Either way... I better be ready to swim... lol :nut:

h_s
01-31-2007, 12:04 AM

+1

GTS Jeff
01-31-2007, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

Originally posted by Isaiah

Well.

The difference is negligible because the distance between the Earth's surface and core isn't much in astronomical terms.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-31-2007, 12:38 AM

The difference is negligible because the distance between the Earth's surface and core isn't much in astronomical terms.

I don't follow. Gravity is a product of the Earth's rather substantial mass. Upon entering the Earth, that mass would affect you from multiple directions instead of the unidirectional force we're used to. Theoretically, if you could create a hollow cavity inside the very center of the Earth (assuming the Earth's mass is distributed equally) you would be "weightless" as the earth's mass/gravity pulls you from all directions at once with equal force.

GTS Jeff
01-31-2007, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I don't follow. Gravity is a product of the Earth's rather substantial mass. Upon entering the Earth, that mass would affect you from multiple directions instead of the unidirectional force we're used to. Theoretically, if you could create a hollow cavity inside the very center of the Earth (assuming the Earth's mass is distributed equally) you would be "weightless" as the earth's mass/gravity pulls you from all directions at once with equal force. Hmm makes sense...

Shaad
01-31-2007, 12:54 AM
Wouldnt you actually be crushed instead?

a little of topic but still simular. Isnt the earths core believed to be a molting ball of iron and gold and other heavy metels? Massive metals being more effected by gravity and finding its way to the core. The core would also be spining the opposite direction as the earth and creating friction and an electric charge that explains polization? our magnetic poles?

any geology or geophysic people out there? I have no idea, not my area.

Zephyr
01-31-2007, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I don't follow. Gravity is a product of the Earth's rather substantial mass. Upon entering the Earth, that mass would affect you from multiple directions instead of the unidirectional force we're used to. Theoretically, if you could create a hollow cavity inside the very center of the Earth (assuming the Earth's mass is distributed equally) you would be "weightless" as the earth's mass/gravity pulls you from all directions at once with equal force.

That's a trippy thought. Guess I need a jet pack and scuba gear...

schurchill39
01-31-2007, 01:44 PM
I would end up just off of the french southern and antartic lands... Given I started to dig in my back yard.

To end up in the hong kong area you'd pretty much have to start digging in argentina

Euro_Trash
01-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Man my house is right above the ocean too

ICEBERG
01-31-2007, 02:58 PM
I dug from Toronto and ended up almost in Australia. :thumbsup: Vacation anyone.:D