PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Deck Type

MaYzE
07-20-2002, 10:44 AM
Just curious, whats everyones favorite head unit type? Ive had a Sony and 2 Panasonics. The newer Panasonic I got heats up like a mofo and tends to skip on some blank Cds. The Sony was ok but had no good visuals. The older Panasonic I had <2 years ago> was amazing. Wish I could remember the model... Anyways, the thing lit up my whole truck, had nice visuals, never skipped and never ever got hot. I need a better deck now, so Im open for ideas.... thinking of a TV deck now. Ideas are more then welcome. :) Thanx

Rydog
07-20-2002, 11:20 AM
i'm running a Pioneer. love it.

HillBilly
07-20-2002, 11:59 AM
The best out there is Pioneer. Unless you want to Eclipse or Nakamichi which is wayyy better but cost at least $1000 for a decent one.

MaYzE
07-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Stealth R/T
The best out there is Pioneer. Unless you want to Eclipse or Nakamichi which is wayyy better but cost at least $1000 for a decent one.

Im almost ready to frop some huge dollars if the deck is worth it. Instead of makeing my Civic "LOOK" fast, I think Ill just lower it and then work on full stereo. My stereo inside is loud enough now, so I think I wanna go all out. Its gonna cost waaaay to much to actually make my car go fast. Im thinking of running 2 Focal 12's. Its gonna take some time to get everything done the way I want though. Guess I should start planning.

speedracer
07-20-2002, 12:11 PM
Nice avatar :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
07-20-2002, 01:07 PM
Another vote here for Pioneer/Premier, especially the Premier line. IMO, two decks you can't go wrong with: Pioneer/Premier and Alpine. Best bang for your buck.

Panasonic is nothing but bells and whistles, if you ask me. They attract most people just because they have a nice light up face and what not, but licks nuts when it comes to sound quality and options. I used to have one and didn't realize how crappy it was until I got rid of it.

Eclipse has some really sweet decks, but I know a few years back there were some complaints (ie: constant skipping, inability to read cdr's) about their level of quality even in their higher end models. Hopefully they've resolved some of those issues by now.

Nakamichi's got some really sweet ass decks, but like Stealth R/T said, they cost crazy $$$.

Clarion's just way overrated for their price.

Ben
07-20-2002, 01:18 PM
I have a Panasonic...Looks great, but works like ass!

Heats up huge! Skips like all the time when playing burned CD's.

I had a Alpine deck before that, worked awesome!!! Never skipped, great sound quality, but looked like ass.

My next deck will be a Pioneer...Kenny and Rage have the one I was looking into...

my .02

max_boost
07-20-2002, 01:30 PM
I love Panasonic! I would go get a new deck right now but I am rather broke after all these new toys I bought haha

MaYzE
07-20-2002, 01:36 PM
Ya, I agree that Pionners are good too. My buddy had one that never skipped or anything. Very sweet deck. I agree with the Pioneer opinions. Good decks. I should check for the newer models. Whats the best unit out there right now? <from reviews and whatnot> Plus I dont want to have a deck everyone else has. I hate that....

Rydog
07-20-2002, 01:48 PM
another thing that is sweet about my Pioneer is how small the remote is, as thin as a credit card and smaller too. it's all good.

MaYzE
07-20-2002, 01:52 PM
what do you guys think of this one
Panasonic CQ-DFX972U

Kinda pricey for a Panasonic though.....

MaYzE
07-20-2002, 01:57 PM
OMG! The Pioneer DEH-P940MP looks pretty damn sweet too!! Too bad its like $1200. :(

:banghead:

Ben
07-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Nice deck, but 479 usd is pretty steep...

Ben
07-20-2002, 01:59 PM
Get this one!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PioneerCanadaEng/CDA/CarProducts/POC_Eng_CarProductDetails/0,1825,2595,00.html

this will probably be my next one...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PioneerCanadaEng/CDA/CarProducts/POC_Eng_CarProductDetails/0,1825,2593,00.html

or this one

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PioneerCanadaEng/CDA/CarProducts/POC_Eng_CarProductDetails/0,1825,2594,00.html

MaYzE
07-20-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Benny
[B]Get this one!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PioneerCanadaEng/CDA/CarProducts/POC_Eng_CarProductDetails/0,1825,2595,00.html

I nearly crapped my pants when I saw the price of that one. lol Too much for my blood. Im looking for a nice deck between 500-1000. Anything TOO fancy is just going to have bells and whistles I wont use.

D'z Nutz
07-20-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by MaYzE

I nearly crapped my pants when I saw the price of that one. lol Too much for my blood. Im looking for a nice deck between 500-1000. Anything TOO fancy is just going to have bells and whistles I wont use.

Well, that all depends on what you're trying to acheive. If you're only looking for something to listen to while you're cruising around, I wouldn't spend more than $600 tops (even that's pretty extreme). Anything over and you're going into the competition type decks with the options you won't be needing for regular usage.

My opinion is to figure out roughly what you want your final set up would be like (number of subs, speakers, amps, etc...) and work from there. Once you have an idea of what you want, then figure out specifics (speaker types, which deck, what amp, etc...). Trying to find a cool looking deck and building from there is a terrible way to do things, if you ask me.

2000impreza
07-20-2002, 02:49 PM
decks eh? i've owned 2 pioneer's, 1 panasonic, 1 alpine. right now i have a clarion 9575. i've had it for a year now. so my favorite so far would be the clarion. hehe.

MaYzE
07-20-2002, 03:16 PM
This is my system right now. 2 alpine amps <flex2 and v-power> 1 rockford amp <power 500a2>, 2 alpine xr 10's, rockford 6x9's<rear>, alpine 5 1/4<front> and my Panasonic cq-dfx701u deck. Everything now is ok but the deck. It just gets too hot and just plain out blows. New deck is a must. But In the future i wanna lean towards compitition. A new deck is where Im going to start though. Then I may go to 2 12 inch subs. All I know is I wanna redo the whole system. Wiring is done except I may need some heavier stuff for the subs if I want a lot of power. Now I have to hunt for some crisp highs and heavy bass. I like balance.

James
07-20-2002, 04:21 PM
Ive have 2 Pioneers/Premier's and they are both great decks, I also have an older model sony deck, Dosnt read half of my Burnt CD's!:madred: :thumbsdow

Fluidic
07-20-2002, 04:42 PM
I favor anything made or supported by Clarion!

:)

CLARION FOREVA!!!!

Peter

RSeXy
07-20-2002, 06:36 PM
maybe its a female gripe but i don't undersand why decks come with a remote...like come on guys..is it really that difficult to reach over just a little bit and press the buttons??

or am i totally missing out on something? :dunno:

Ben
07-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Its good for show or when you are chillin outside your car, you can just zap it to another track.

boi-alien
07-20-2002, 07:25 PM
pioneers are really good

D'z Nutz
07-20-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy
maybe its a female gripe but i don't undersand why decks come with a remote...like come on guys..is it really that difficult to reach over just a little bit and press the buttons??

or am i totally missing out on something? :dunno:

I use my remote simply because then I don't have to fumble around with the buttons on the deck while I'm driving (since your attention should be on the road, anyways). Just memorize the button locations on your remote and you don't even have to take your eyes off the road. Also it keeps fingerprints off the face :D

It's also handy to have when you're making adjustments from the trunk and you don't want to run back and forth to the front.

Hakkola
07-20-2002, 08:12 PM
I use a remote as well, it's kew, cuz when I'm sitting outside my car I can turn up the music if I'm just standing there for whatever reason, and also when driving I don't have to reach down and look for the knob, all I have to do is press the remote, it doesn't even matter where I point it.

I have an alpine deck, not sure what kind exactly but it's awesome, I love it.

2000impreza
07-20-2002, 11:03 PM
i never use the remote. whats the use? not like the deck is so far away you can't reach it or something :confused:

Ben
07-20-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I have an alpine deck, not sure what kind exactly but it's awesome, I love it.

ths is it:

http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/img/asb/cda-7893.gif

BarryBeach
07-21-2002, 01:55 AM
I have a lower model Pannosonic ... but if i were to invest in a new deck i would probibly go Clarion/Alpine ...

redline
07-21-2002, 12:06 PM
alpine

GP_DrIvEr
07-21-2002, 05:00 PM
i just bought the panasonic CQ-DFX972 today, havent installed it but i heard its a good deck...

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/car/caraudio/cq-dfx972.htm

GT2NV
07-21-2002, 06:02 PM
pioneer, everyone reccomends em :thumbsup:

HRD2PLZ
07-21-2002, 11:35 PM
I bought my Pioneer DEH-P7300 a year ago, and I love it! Its an awesome deck and its pretty easy to use. I'm considering upgrading to a DEH-P7400 now. I had a clarion before (it was a cheap one though) and thought it was decent too.

RiceCake
07-23-2002, 11:07 AM
I like the Pioneer and Alpine decks... Seems Panasonics get a lot of mixed reviews... They look nice and sound nice, but over time I hear they aren't very good.. :dunno:

max_boost
07-23-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by GP_DrIvEr
i just bought the panasonic CQ-DFX972 today, havent installed it but i heard its a good deck...

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/car/caraudio/cq-dfx972.htm

SWEET ASS!
That is the deck I want! I've gone through 2 Panasonic decks already, how much did you pay and where did you buy it?

I was thinking of waiting until the SoundsAround blowout sale at the Big Four next month

GP_DrIvEr
07-24-2002, 03:17 PM
Max ... i went down to the a&b in shawnessy.. my buddy works there so he got the sales guy to hook me up...

suggested retail on the panasonic website is $699 +tax

i got it for $490 tax included :thumbsup: ... im so happy with the deal i got... im going to pick it up today cuz they had to send one down from the north

no more 80min CD's !!! having and mp3/cd player is gonna be :bigpimp:

B17a
07-24-2002, 03:34 PM
I guess I'm the only one, but I've always been a Kenwood fan.

Redlyne_mr2
07-26-2002, 09:51 AM
ill be running a nakamichi..however i'll be gettign an lcd screen for the mr2 to run my hks camp system so I might just get that panasonic deck that plays mpeg2's dvd and vcd's..its so damn flashy though..right now the car has the factory system but it's one of the best factory systems I've ever heard..way better than the system in the mk4 supra, the boxster, any of the hondas..it includes front mids and tweeters, side speakers next to the headrest on each seat and a factory sub with 2 factory amps...cool little setup:thumbsup:

Shoobs
08-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Panasonic and Pioneer are pretty good:thumbsup:

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-05-2002, 07:09 PM
i have the older sony xplod deck i cant remember the model but its the one where the one side is black and has a lcd screen and then it flips and has the blue face and red/silver buttons

it seems to work pretty good for me it heats up quite a bit but that doset seem to affect it much

Audi Kid
08-05-2002, 08:21 PM
panasonic..its such a good deck no complaints! nice blue to :)