PDA

View Full Version : Getting Mitsu GTO AWD tranny rebuilt

BlackFyre
01-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Is there a shop you would recommend to have an AWD tranny rebuilt, my third gear/fifth gear synchros are fucked. I'll probably just driveway drop it and bring it in, but I need a shop that knows what they're doing. aaaaaany suggestions?

The cars a 91 Mitsubishi GTO TT

Mitsu3000gt
01-31-2007, 12:00 AM
Very cool car.

Mister Transmission rebuilt the tranny on my brother's Subaru SVX and did an awesome job and was honest about the things that needed fixing, and the ones that didn't. I'm suggesting them because the GTO and SVX are both very rare, and they did a good job on the SVX. Hopefully others have more input as well, but that's my experience.

A790
01-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Very cool car.

Mister Transmission rebuilt the tranny on my brother's Subaru SVX and did an awesome job and was honest about the things that needed fixing, and the ones that didn't. I'm suggesting them because the GTO and SVX are both very rare, and they did a good job on the SVX. Hopefully others have more input as well, but that's my experience.

I was actually going to suggest them :)

s3v3n
02-01-2007, 08:48 AM
its likely that youll have a hard time finding parts locally. kormex in ontario (ca) may be your best bet. many times people opt to simply buy a used trans rather than pay 1-2k to have one rebuilt.

edit: do you have any mods like aftermarket ic piping, bov, intake piping, etc? if youre getting locked out of gear you may have something blocking the linkage on top of the trans.

A790
02-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by s3v3n
its likely that youll have a hard time finding parts locally. kormex in ontario (ca) may be your best bet. many times people opt to simply buy a used trans rather than pay 1-2k to have one rebuilt.

It's the same as a Dodge Stealth TT.

s3v3n
02-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by A790

It's the same as a Dodge Stealth TT.
i know... i own one. youll still probably have trouble finding the parts even at a national level

Mitsu3000gt
02-01-2007, 10:31 AM
I bet you could get parts out of the states. I have yet to find something that hasn't been way cheaper out of the states, but I haven't looked for transmissions.

CLiVE
02-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Very cool car.

Mister Transmission

:werd: Mister Transmission (Macleod) as well. I had some work done there on my stealth as well. They have done complete tranny rebuilds on stealths before. kormex would be a better bet though if it is an option.

BlackFyre
02-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah, I was debating just buying a rebuilt tranny from Kormex because of the rarity of parts, however, Kormex will only ship to a business location at the border, and no further, so its kind of a pain in the ass. As far as i know, the only place stocking parts like new synchros right now is Kormex, and CRS in Germany, so even finding a good place to rebuild it usually entitles me finding the parts, but we will see what happens.

s3v3n, I do have some aftermarket parts, but I checked the linkage, and everything moves smoothly with nothing blocked, I'm definately thinking its the synchros seeing as at low RPM's and low speed i can shift into third with no sound or hesitation, but at high speed/high rpms i get the whirring sound/pushing back. I'm taking the car to a family friend mechanic at Concept Auto who is going to diagnose the problem for me properly, and go from there. Damn cars and their expenses *shakes fist*

CLiVE
02-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by BlackFyre
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah, I was debating just buying a rebuilt tranny from Kormex because of the rarity of parts, however, Kormex will only ship to a business location at the border, and no further, so its kind of a pain in the ass. As far as i know, the only place stocking parts like new synchros right now is Kormex, and CRS in Germany, so even finding a good place to rebuild it usually entitles me finding the parts, but we will see what happens.

s3v3n, I do have some aftermarket parts, but I checked the linkage, and everything moves smoothly with nothing blocked, I'm definately thinking its the synchros seeing as at low RPM's and low speed i can shift into third with no sound or hesitation, but at high speed/high rpms i get the whirring sound/pushing back. I'm taking the car to a family friend mechanic at Concept Auto who is going to diagnose the problem for me properly, and go from there. Damn cars and their expenses *shakes fist*

Your best bet is take a vacation in the states. Take your car to Kormex and get it done there. This is what a friend of mine did. Start planning your trip....

s3v3n
02-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by BlackFyre

thats sucks, its never the easy solution =\
i know that at one point kormex was stocking the parts but would not sell them to people. they were only being used for their own rebuilds. hopefully theyve changed that tho.

ive been emailing back and forth with somebody in toronto who is parting out a 94tt... maybe its time for a 6spd swap. shoot me a pm if you want his contact info. otherwise, like clive mentioned, maybe this is a good excuse for a vacation down south.

Intensity
02-01-2007, 05:31 PM
got any pics of your gto?
i got a 91 gto tt also maybe i seen u around
u drive a red one?

BlackFyre
02-01-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't have any on the computer right now, but I'll throw some up soon. No, mine is silver, if your talking about the red one with the deep dish rims and what not, it belongs to a guy named Ryan. What color is yours?

Intensity
02-02-2007, 01:28 AM
mines purple
im nto sure about the rims i see a red gto around nw area sometimes

BlackFyre
05-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but just thought I would give an update, in case anyone with a GTO ever runs into the same problem.

Took the car to Mr. Transmission down south, the "oil flapper" in the transmission as he called it had broken and wasn't splashing oil up into the gears and synchro's so the third gear ring had broken teeth and same with fifth gear. Waited 3 weeks, he ordered parts and put it all in, paid a $4700 repair bill for a completely rebuilt transmission :banghead: . 4 Days later I got mesh in 1st gear again, took it back, he had put in a faulty synchro, and it split in half, 2 more weeks, got car back and that brings me to today, however, the tranny is leaking fluid now, so I guess it has to go back to see what the issue is.

Should have just swapped for the 6-Speed Conversion, damn German tranmissions :whipped: