PDA

View Full Version : Pilots- big airlines

RawB8figure
01-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Anyone here fly for the bigger airlines. My cousin is looking to get on with them, but you need to know someone that is already working there or something. Is there anyother way to get on.

drew_goring
01-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by RawB8figure
Anyone here fly for the bigger airlines. My cousin is looking to get on with them, but you need to know someone that is already working there or something. Is there anyother way to get on.

Good luck...most new commercial pilots start off flying up north in the bush, and when they get a couple hundred thousand hours they get a job with aircanada/etc.

Kona9
01-31-2007, 07:15 PM
It seems pretty random that a pilot on Beyond is going to make a post on here and your cousin will be dialed up Corporate style just like that.

Doesn't hurt to try though.

Aleks
01-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by drew_goring

Good luck...most new commercial pilots start off flying up north in the bush, and when they get a couple hundred thousand hours they get a job with aircanada/etc.

Couple hundred thousand hours? So a pilot with 200000 hours has flown 23 years flying 24 hours a day?

Anyways to get on with regional carriers such as Swanberg, Central mountain air, Quick Air etc. you need a 1000+hrs. AFAIK for Westjet or Aircanada they want around 5000 to be considered. There are rough figures.

drew_goring
01-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Couple hundred thousand hours? So a pilot with 200000 hours has flown 23 years flying 24 hours a day?

Anyways to get on with regional carriers such as Swanberg, Central mountain air, Quick Air etc. you need a 1000+hrs. AFAIK for Westjet or Aircanada they want around 5000 to be considered. There are rough figures.

Well I was obviously exaggerating the hours, but the point is you need a shitload of hours to get hired on by the big guys.

The Cosworth
01-31-2007, 09:10 PM
join the air force

good way to get your hours and fly cool shit

Thats my back up plan

Isaiah
01-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
join the air force

good way to get your hours and fly cool shit

Thats my back up plan

As I read your post, this played in my head and I briefly considered a career change.

zCTJmXrgsFg

HiSpec
01-31-2007, 10:01 PM
A/C have stole a few of our pilots. Which I totally understand, because you do get quite a chunk of salary boost with bigger airliner. Especially a Tim Horton manager makes pretty close to what average pilot makes before they move on to a big airliner.

And yes, you do need a few thousand hours before they even consider you.

The Cosworth
01-31-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

As I read your post, this played in my head and I briefly considered a career change.

zCTJmXrgsFg

Yeah I wasn't kidding about it being a back up plan.

I think an engineering tech job should be good but it has always been in the back of my mind

Bongo
01-31-2007, 10:20 PM
You would be better off posting your question on www.avcanada.ca/forums2

Your cousin is looking to get started into the aviation industry or he already has some time? If he's getting in for the money it is definitely the wrong reason to be wanting to drive airplanes for a living.

http://www.airlinepilotpay.com would also be a good start. Pilots do not make anywhere close to what you think they should make starting out. The first flying job I had I flew 112 hours the first month worked another 40 or 50 promoting skydiving and made $694.

I was paid $1.00 per skydiver that left the airplane. If you think that is good money go for it. I wound up making $1200 a month by the end of the season and then left to go fly twin otter's in Haiti. I made $20 000 per year + per diem doing that then decided to go back to school for Engineering.

PM me if you or you cousin has any questions.

HiSpec
02-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Bongo
You would be better off posting your question on www.avcanada.ca/forums2

Your cousin is looking to get started into the aviation industry or he already has some time? If he's getting in for the money it is definitely the wrong reason to be wanting to drive airplanes for a living.

http://www.airlinepilotpay.com would also be a good start. Pilots do not make anywhere close to what you think they should make starting out. The first flying job I had I flew 112 hours the first month worked another 40 or 50 promoting skydiving and made $694.

I was paid $1.00 per skydiver that left the airplane. If you think that is good money go for it. I wound up making $1200 a month by the end of the season and then left to go fly twin otter's in Haiti. I made $20 000 per year + per diem doing that then decided to go back to school for Engineering.

PM me if you or you cousin has any questions.

haha sounds exactly some of our junior pilots. One of them is even a wedding photographer

Tik-Tok
02-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by RawB8figure

If he has more than 1500 hours, PM me.

De Dutch
02-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

zCTJmXrgsFg

HAHHHHHHHHHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA!