PDA

View Full Version : Got into an accident. Transmission is fucked.

_integra_typeR_
01-31-2007, 10:04 PM
So, I spun out and hit the curb really hard and went over the curb last night... I drive a G35 Coupe and the problem after the accident was that my gear(automatic) was stuck.. or it wasn't able to move from D to P or any other gear...
I was thinking that maybe the shock damaged the transmission or something... but my tires and suspension seem ok...

Any ideas anyone??
I don't even know if i should report to the police(maybe required for repair??)
Anyways, Thanks in advance..

The Cosworth
01-31-2007, 10:09 PM
misaligned the shaft maybe?

either way get it checked, its not going to go away on its own

A790
01-31-2007, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by _integra_typeR_
So, I spun out and hit the curb really hard and went over the curb last night... I drive a G35 Coupe and the problem after the accident was that my gear(automatic) was stuck.. or it wasn't able to move from D to P or any other gear...
I was thinking that maybe the shock damaged the transmission or something... but my tires and suspension seem ok...

Any ideas anyone??
I don't even know if i should report to the police(maybe required for repair??)
Anyways, Thanks in advance..

I don't think you'll have to notify the police since it wans't an accident and no other damage was done to any property outside of your car.

hjr
01-31-2007, 11:02 PM
if the damage was only to your vehicle, then dont bother with the police. just get it fixed. if your going through insurance, then double check with them to make sure you dont have to report it

elesdee
01-31-2007, 11:10 PM
definitely dont tell the cops!

sjaswal
01-31-2007, 11:35 PM
if damage is due to an accident, and is over $1000 you will need to have a police report to get it repaired....at a reputable shop. This may apply to body damage though - call a police station to make sure. Doesn't hurt to get a police report.

guessboi
01-31-2007, 11:40 PM
^ any thing over $1,000 in damage needs to be reported otherwise a reputable shop won't fix it. The sticker is the proof in order for the car to be fixed. if you don't have it, the shop won't fix it for you. :)

_integra_typeR_
02-01-2007, 01:11 AM
what if a public property was damaged as well?? say a bench.. :(

Also, the shift alignment... how much would i be loooking at?? i know anything with the transmission is costly... :S

sjaswal
02-01-2007, 11:22 AM
own up... how much is a bench?

lie... forget to to mention the bench in the report, but you will probably get caught in the lie trying to explain the damage.

learn how things work and fix it yourself.

buy another car and forget about it.

marko polo
02-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by sjaswal
own up... how much is a bench?

lie... forget to to mention the bench in the report, but you will probably get caught in the lie trying to explain the damage.

learn how things work and fix it yourself.

buy another car and forget about it.

dude its a g35, I Dont think thats the car to learn "how things work" on or just forget about and buy another car. If it were me i would go to reputable shop and get the problem diagnosed, I couldnt see it being to badly damaged cause it just doesnt make sense how it would damge the tranny unless u were swtiching gears into the curb.

_integra_typeR_
02-01-2007, 12:33 PM
yea... hmmm well thanks for all the input everyone... i guess i'll talk to my insurance company first and see what they think..

sjaswal
02-01-2007, 12:49 PM
if you tell your insurance company, they will consider it a claim. Call some other insurance company.

Thaco
02-01-2007, 12:55 PM
In a car like that, my guess is it probably tripped some sort of sensor, which would make the car inoperable until it's repaired to prevent any further damage, some newer cars have this. so you tranny may be fine, it just might need the sensor code cleared.

Personally i'd pull off the negative battery cable for 2 minutes and depress the brake to drain any power left in there, then hook it back up and see what happens.

nonsane
02-01-2007, 01:40 PM
just try to get it repaired, if they mention that you need a police report get one.

If you're not gonna report mangling a bench you should at least do something nice in exchange! Donate some stuff to the food bank.

How did you spin out? should've gotten a G35X :P

Tik-Tok
02-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by _integra_typeR_
after the accident was that my gear(automatic) was stuck.. or it wasn't able to move from D to P or any other gear...

Will the shifter not go into anything, or you shift it, but the transmission doesn't do anything?

My guess would be it's the brake safety switch (the one that doesn't allow you to go in gear unless your foots on the brake), or like said, the car tripped into "safe" mode.

Zero102
02-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Most likely it's a linkage problem. If you bent hte front suspension, it is possible the drivetrain has moved a little bit and the shift linkage is binding.
Also consider damage to the oil pan and other low points on the car, all of these things should be looked at.
This is why it should definately be taken to a reputable shop, just tell them you hit a curb and see if they require a damage clearance sticker.

rc2002
02-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I HIGHLY doubt it's something electrical like a sensor. If you're having trouble moving the shifter, I'm 99.99% sure it's going to be something mechanical.

I would advise getting this looked at ASAP so you don't cause more damage to other components.

_integra_typeR_
02-01-2007, 04:38 PM
yea.. as of right now the car is not driveable and the shifter is stuck on D and will not budge...

i'm planning on taking it to a mechanic shop first thing tomorrow and i guess if they need a report i will go get one...

now as of telling the cops... would i have to mention the bench?? hahaha